Field of 68 Projection

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
NET ranking through March 6 is noted in parentheses.

FIELD OF 68 (through March 3)
Conference Leaders/#1 Seed in Conference Tournament (32)
America East: Vermont (78)
American: Houston (6)
ACC: Virginia (2)
ASUN: Lipscomb (45)
Atlantic 10: VCU (31)
Big East: Villanova (25)
Big Sky: Montana (116)
Big South: Campbell (222)
B1G: Purdue (12)
Big XII: Kansas State (26)
Big West: UC-Irvine (83)
Colonial: Hofstra (68)
Conference USA: Old Dominion (93)
Horizon: Wright State (141)
Ivy: Harvard (117)
MAAC: Iona (213)
MAC: Buffalo (16)
MEAC: Norfolk State (245)
Missouri Valley: Loyola-Chicago (128)
Mountain West: Utah State (30)
Northeast: Saint Francis-PA (255)
Ohio Valley: Belmont (44)
Pac 12: Washington (33)
Patriot: Colgate (138)
SEC: LSU (13)
SoCon: Wofford (14)
Southland: Sam Houston State (181)
SWAC: Prairie View A&M (221)
Summit: South Dakota State (101)
Sun Belt: Georgia State (135)
WCC: Gonzaga (1)
WAC: New Mexico State (46)

Locks or Almost There (25)
Duke (3)
Tennessee (4)
Kentucky (5)
North Carolina (7)
Michigan State (8)
Michigan (9)
Texas Tech (10)
Virginia Tech (11)
Wisconsin (15)
Florida State (17)
Kansas (18)
Auburn (19)
Nevada (20)
Cincinnati (21)
Mississippi State (22)
Iowa State (23)
Louisville (24)
Maryland (27)
UCF (28)
Marquette (29)
Ole Miss (36)
Baylor (37)
Oklahoma (38)
Iowa (41)
Syracuse (42)

On the Bubble, In (11)
Florida (32)
Texas (34)
Ohio State (48)
Creighton (52)
TCU (53)
Minnesota (54)
Alabama (55)
Indiana (56)
Seton Hall (61)
Saint John's (62)
Arizona State (71)

Last 4 In
Florida (32)
Creighton (52)
Minnesota (54)
Indiana (56)

On the Bubble, Out/First 8 Out
NC State (35)
Saint Mary's (39)
Clemson (40)
Furman (43)
Murray State (49)
Temple (57)
Xavier (72)
Georgetown (79)

Non-Power 6 At-Larges (3)
Nevada (20)
Cincinnati (21)
UCF (28)

Last edited:

nice move bringing Indiana back into consideration. They win these next two games and they are probably better shots than we are with all those Quad 1 games.

Gophers move to IN status and not the last 4 with a win tonight!

Go Gophers!

nice move bringing Indiana back into consideration. They win these next two games and they are probably better shots than we are with all those Quad 1 games.

Gophers move to IN status and not the last 4 with a win tonight!

Go Gophers!

I'm very confident saying if Indiana wins its last two regular-season games and then one in Chicago, they'll likely be in at 18-15. That would not be a good development for the Gophers.

Last edited:

Really bad year for the non-power 5 at larges. I noticed on your list last week there were very few even under consideration. That will be the talk of Selection Sunday, especially if there are multiple under .500 Power 5's in.

I'm surprised you still have TCU in. They are in a free fall, understandable as it is.

Really bad year for the non-power 5 at larges. I noticed on your list last week there were very few even under consideration. That will be the talk of Selection Sunday, especially if there are multiple under .500 Power 5's in.

I'm surprised you still have TCU in. They are in a free fall, understandable as it is.

We'll get some upsets in the bid-stealing conferences. In the end there will be at least several non-Power 6 at-large candidates worthy of consideration.

TCU definitely in peril.

Last edited:

Hope Clemson doesn’t make it in. Really hate it that a mega football school can just dump a truck load of football cash into its basketball program, that has no history of anything, and become good, from nothing. Hate that.

Hope Clemson doesn’t make it in. Really hate it that a mega football school can just dump a truck load of football cash into its basketball program, that has no history of anything, and become good, from nothing. Hate that.

Clemson had some very good teams in the years between their national title in 1981(?) and their dominance now - all while they were at best an average football program. Plus, would you really qualify the extreme edge of the bubble and battling to get to .500 in conference as "good"? I know plenty on here who do not.

Clemson had some very good teams in the years between their national title in 1981(?) and their dominance now - all while they were at best an average football program. Plus, would you really qualify the extreme edge of the bubble and battling to get to .500 in conference as "good"? I know plenty on here who do not.

They were in the tourny last year, from nothing. So we’re Alabama and Auburn, although I know the latter had Charles Barkley at least. Still pisses me off. Damn southern schools. Folks in Alabama and South Carolina don’t give a flaming crap about basketball.

Clemson gave a certain team all they could handle in 1997.
Them making the tournament last year had absolutely nothing to do with their football program. What an odd take.

I'm very confident saying if Indiana wins its last two regular-season games and then one in Indy, they'll likely be in at 18-15. That would not be a good development for the Gophers.

Just a heads up, the Big 10 Tourney is at the United Center in Chicago this year, not Indy. Set your GPS accordingly.

Just a heads up, the Big 10 Tourney is at the United Center in Chicago this year, not Indy. Set your GPS accordingly.

Fixed.

Definitely wouldn't want to drive those extra few hours

They dumped football money into the program, to beef it up.

Certainly schools do this successfully (Florida, Ohio State, Texas) but I don't really see where you are coming from with Clemson. Brad Brownell has been there for like 8 years. Clemson has been mostly mediocre and nowhere near the other football schools I mentioned.

Certainly schools do this successfully (Florida, Ohio State, Texas) but I don't really see where you are coming from with Clemson. Brad Brownell has been there for like 8 years. Clemson has been mostly mediocre and nowhere near the other football schools I mentioned.

It’s based on making it last year, and being in the running for this year. Hope they fail.

ASUN kicks off Championship Week festivities tonight

Gophers non-conference opponent North Florida is the #3 seed in the ASUN Tournament. Go Ospreys!

ASUN Quarterfinals
#8 Kennesaw State @ #1 Lipscomb, 7 CT
#5 NJIT @ #4 Florida Gulf Coast, 6
#6 North Alabama (ineligible for automatic bid) @ #3 North Florida, 6
#7 Jacksonville @ #2 Liberty, 6

The Clemson coach would be like the seventh highest paid coach in the Big 10 and before making the Sweet 16, he made Pitino-money (Richard, not Rick).

Gophers non-conference opponent North Florida is the #3 seed in the ASUN Tournament. Go Ospreys!

ASUN Quarterfinals
#8 Kennesaw State @ #1 Lipscomb, 7 CT
#5 NJIT @ #4 Florida Gulf Coast, 6
#6 North Alabama (ineligible for automatic bid) @ #3 North Florida, 6
#7 Jacksonville @ #2 Liberty, 6

You think Liberty and Lipscomb are SOL if they don't win the conference tournament?

BTW, I saw Stetson in January against FGCU and they may have been the worst D-1 basketball team I have ever seen. I'm shocked they have won a game or two since. Maybe an injury or two had an affect, but they were really bad.

You think Liberty and Lipscomb are SOL if they don't win the conference tournament?

BTW, I saw Stetson in January against FGCU and they may have been the worst D-1 basketball team I have ever seen. I'm shocked they have won a game or two since. Maybe an injury or two had an affect, but they were really bad.

I've seen some who think Lipscomb has a chance for an at-large bid. I'm not in that camp.

Liberty has no chance.

We differ on 2.

I have St. Mary's and Toledo in.

I have Seton Hall and Indiana out.

Last 4 In: Creighton (last team in), Toledo, Minnesota, St. Mary's
First 4 Out: UNC-Greensboro (first team out), Temple, Clemson, Seton Hall
Next 4 out: NC State, Furman, Davidson, Dayton

I've seen some who think Lipscomb has a chance for an at-large bid. I'm not in that camp.

Liberty has no chance.

Would agree in this. Liberty needs the auto bid. Not even close to an at-large. Lipscomb is closer, but likely needs it as well.

Monday Bubblicious Results

Texas and TCU both lose, good news. They play each other this weekend.

I still like Texas' at-large chances at 16-14 as long as they beat the Horned Frogs on Saturday. A Longhorns win and I think TCU is in a world of hurt heading to Kansas City for Big XII Tournament. Cheer for the Longhorns in this one. ... much better resume than the Horny Toads.

The real question to me is whether a win over Purdue tonight can push us far enough away from the bubble (to the good side) that likely losses at Maryland and to Illinois in the BTT won't knock us out.

If we do manage to beat Purdue tonight, there ought to be a full on social media/news campaign to proclaim that we are "in." We should really want that to be the messaging to the committee... I realize they are not beholden to reports, but I think it does have an effect.

Per The Athletic. Games played through 3/4/2019.

Minnesota (18-11, 8-10 — NET: 56, SOS: 57): Thursday’s win at Northwestern was much needed in so far as it avoided a third defeat in three games and a seventh in eight. It also held the line for a team that now gets to take its best shot, in the Barn, against Purdue on Tuesday night. On Friday, the Gophers travel to Maryland, and it’s hard to say which win will be tougher to get — but either (or, gasp, both?) could be the deciding factor for a team very much in the last-four-in/first-four-out mix.

I still like Texas' at-large chances at 16-14 as long as they beat the Horned Frogs on Saturday. A Longhorns win and I think TCU is in a world of hurt heading to Kansas City for Big XII Tournament. Cheer for the Longhorns in this one. ... much better resume than the Horny Toads.

Jerry Palm has Texas out of his bracket after last night. At 16-14....I'm surprised that anyone considers them safe.

Jerry Palm has Texas out of his bracket after last night. At 16-14....I'm surprised that anyone considers them safe.

He's one of very few to have Texas out so far, but updated entries might show otherwise. TCU / Texas loser is probably toast.

If Minnesota beats Purdue we are in regardless of MD and BTT.
If we lose both, a win in BTT might be enough.

Interesting scenario here. My gut tells me the opposite, Hodger. Texas has a much better resume than TCU, and I think a TCU win has a chance of squeezing both of them out. Because you're the pro, I'll go with your recommendation, but on paper from afar Texas looks pretty vulnerable. Beating UNC and Purdue are pretty good resume stuffers, though.

I'm hoping United Center WiFi has enough umph for me to catch some of the other conference tourney games on the phone. Despite the weak bubble (maybe because of), there are going to be some wild conference tournaments over the next twelve days.

He's one of very few to have Texas out so far, but updated entries might show otherwise. TCU / Texas loser is probably toast.

If Minnesota beats Purdue we are in regardless of MD and BTT.
If we lose both, a win in BTT might be enough.

You're confident. More so than I am. I hope you're right. I'll feel safer with two more wins before the tourney.

Tuesday's desired results

Gopher over Boilermaker

Butler over Xavier
George Mason over VCU
Kentucky over Ole Miss
Kansas over Oklahoma
Auburn over Alabama
Colorado State over Utah State

The real question to me is whether a win over Purdue tonight can push us far enough away from the bubble (to the good side) that likely losses at Maryland and to Illinois in the BTT won't knock us out.

If we do manage to beat Purdue tonight, there ought to be a full on social media/news campaign to proclaim that we are "in." We should really want that to be the messaging to the committee... I realize they are not beholden to reports, but I think it does have an effect.

On Pitino's KFAN show today, he said they'd be in with a win tonight. Not sure I'm that confident.

Gopher over Boilermaker

Butler over Xavier
George Mason over VCU
Kentucky over Ole Miss
Kansas over Oklahoma
Auburn over Alabama
Colorado State over Utah State

Isn't Butler / Xavier basically a wash?

Top Bottom