Hoiberg pushed out Brady Heiman one hour before accounting final

The fact that Heiman told a reporter about it probably means he wasn’t pleased about being forced out. I don’t blame him. It’s one thing to have the “here’s what your role would likely be” conversation. It’s another to flat out tell a kid he has to leave, as appears to be the case here.

Yep. Agreed 100%. I am not seeing a lot of upside for Freddie on this one.

Hoiberg is tacky at best. What message does that send to instate recruits?

(1) The only thing that I'm aware of that could arguably be considered differential in the treatment of these three players is that they didn't play much (except Buggs);
(2) There was nothing conspicuous about that treatment for Gilbert and Washington, they weren't very good.

There was a stretch in Buggs' last year where he didn't play at all. He played at the end because of the suspensions and injuries. Pitino was down to walk-ons at the tail end of that year.

At the latter part of Washington's freshman year, he was one of the better players on the team (granted that team was bad in no small part due injuries and suspensions). He certainly was better than McBrayer at that point who was dealing with his own physical issues. Except for shooting, Washington didn't get off to such a bad start this season but the head games had an effect on him.

By the way, I find your arguments unconvincing and your rhetoric very pedestrian; if you think you're having an effect on my opinion, don't flatter yourself. What I saw with Washington was a remake of the movie featuring Elliot during Pitino's second year.

Oh, C'mon now. Pitino isn't an angel here. It was almost a forgone conclusion that Buggs, Gilbert, and Washington would leave the program based on Pitino's conspicuously differential treatment of them. Gaston may have been a different story given that he was an international student and may have had to leave the country if he lost a scholarship.

Didn’t play them? What’s wrong with that? Knowing a few people close, he didn’t have a bad relationship with IW. In fact, IW knew exactly what he needed to do to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a stretch in Buggs' last year where he didn't play at all. He played at the end because of the suspensions and injuries. Pitino was down to walk-ons at the tail end of that year.

At the latter part of Washington's freshman year, he was one of the better players on the team (granted that team was bad in no small part due injuries and suspensions). He certainly was better than McBrayer at that point who was dealing with his own physical issues. Except for shooting, Washington didn't get off to such a bad start this season but the head games had an effect on him.

By the way, I find your arguments unconvincing and your rhetoric very pedestrian; if you think you're having an effect on my opinion, don't flatter yourself. What I saw with Washington was a remake of the movie featuring Elliot during Pitino's second year.

Don’t flatter yourself by assuming that your opinion is correct and that you are being principled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every coach does a end of the year exit meeting with each player and that includes the evaluation of their game and where they are seen in the program. Few are forced out and most cases the coaches are actually helpful in finding a new school. I have no idea of the story on this situation with Fred. We have a players side of the story.

Hoiberg is tacky at best. What message does that send to instate recruits?

I don't think he cares we all know Hoiberg is going to load up on iffy JUCOs and transfers from other schools and won't have a soul from Nebraska on that team in a year or two.

Pitino has asked one person to leave that we know about. That was Zach Lofton. The others we don't know. A coach has a duty to be honest with kids and players. He also needs to and can be fair of kids who are good students and teammates to honor their scholarship. Big difference between telling a kid to go compared to outlining roles the coach sees the player in.

I agree 100%.

I also don't have a problem with a coach pushing a kid out for behavior/academic reasons. I have a problem with a coach pushing a kid out for athletic reasons.

Have you seen the basketball talent pool in Nebraska?

They have 3 players in the 2021 class who are all in the top 104 on the 247 composite. Many of the posters here would be busting ropes if the Gophers signed an in-state class that strong.

They have 3 players in the 2021 class who are all in the top 104 on the 247 composite. Many of the posters here would be busting ropes if the Gophers signed an in-state class that strong.

And that’s the anomaly, look at the last several years.

Any chance we or another Big Ten can grab this guy? I have a feeling he will be pretty motivated to play Nebraska.

Certainly agree with that. With the way things are going these days, I suspect a student could get a waiver fairly easily under those circumstances.

I'm fairly certain coaches can't block players for going to certain schools anymore. Unless that is SEC football specific.

I'm fairly certain coaches can't block players for going to certain schools anymore. Unless that is SEC football specific.

I don't believe any school can physically block someone from transferring anywhere, officially. I think, officially, the most they could/can do is to make it so the player can't receive a scholarship, for some amount of time, at the new school, and/or can't participate in games, for some amount of time, at the new school. And the amount of time I believe is generally a year.

Now, unofficially, who knows. Maybe they can make life hell for the player, and/or his family? Maybe get the player's parent fired from a cushy job. This is like some House of Cards/Billions type stuff. Just sayin.

One hour before a big exam, the grade from which has future implications? Telling the kid bad news couldn't wait a day or two or even a week? That's pretty horrible. I just lost a lot of respect for Hoiberg, and hope he is as awful at Nebraska as he now deserves to be.

And that’s the anomaly, look at the last several years.

Right, but the statement was in the context of the message it sends to in-state recruits, the guys Hoiberg is going after. The lack of quality or quantity of in-state recruits over the last few years is irrelevant because Hoiberg wasn't Nebraska's coach and wasn't recruiting those players.

One hour before a big exam, the grade from which has future implications? Telling the kid bad news couldn't wait a day or two or even a week? That's pretty horrible. I just lost a lot of respect for Hoiberg, and hope he is as awful at Nebraska as he now deserves to be.

How about waiting two hours? All he had to do what he was up to as to finals etc. He'd had to know it was finals week.

It looks like wherever Freddie goes he will try to turn it into a mini UNLV from the old days.

FWIW, I work with a die-hard Nebraska fan. I pointed out the story to him, and when he saw who the player was, his response was.....

"he wasn't very good."

Just win, baby. If Hoiberg brings in a dozen transfers with questionable transcripts, and he wins 25 games, Nebraska fans will love him.

Just as (most) Minnesota fans would be fine if the Gophers had no in-state players on the roster, as long as they won 25 games and went to the NCAA tournament.

He had to have known that it was finals time and he should have been smart enough to ask someone to check when he had finals and scheduled it after the last one or at the very least not directly before a final.

Things like this will absolutely hurt in-state recruiting and could hurt recruiting overall. If he develops a reputation for not caring about his players off the court I'm sure that will turn some recruits away.

FWIW, I work with a die-hard Nebraska fan. I pointed out the story to him, and when he saw who the player was, his response was.....

"he wasn't very good."

Just win, baby. If Hoiberg brings in a dozen transfers with questionable transcripts, and he wins 25 games, Nebraska fans will love him.

Just as (most) Minnesota fans would be fine if the Gophers had no in-state players on the roster, as long as they won 25 games and went to the NCAA tournament.

Great post and that is what i just do not understand. No one ever demands championships from the coaches. Swear you could win 25 games every year, be .500 in the conference and make the tourney and people would think that was legend status. Do that somewhere else and we have fans that think that coach is not so hot.

Don’t flatter yourself by assuming that your opinion is correct and that you are being principled.

If someone thought their opinion was incorrect, wouldn't they simply form another?

Great post and that is what i just do not understand. No one ever demands championships from the coaches. Swear you could win 25 games every year, be .500 in the conference and make the tourney and people would think that was legend status. Do that somewhere else and we have fans that think that coach is not so hot.
I mean if you win 25 games, these days thats a 14-6 conference record at worst, you're finishing too three or four more often than not these days. If you drop a couple out of conference, to get to 25 wins, you'll have to win 16 or 17, that will get you conference crown alit of years as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I mean if you win 25 games, these days thats a 14-6 conference record at worst, you're finishing too three or four more often than not these days. If you drop a couple out of conference, to get to 25 wins, you'll have to win 16 or 17, that will get you conference crown alit of years as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We won 25 and went 8-10 not that long ago.

"he wasn't very good."

Just remember Nebraska fans have NEVER experienced a NCAA basketball tournament win.

For the most part athletes are not there to get an education. There’s also a different set of standards to be admitted. At some point it seems college basketball players will be paid to play. Not only are they getting a free education but then make thousands of dollars to play a game. I have no issue with asking a player to leave. All of you saying this shows his true character is laughable. Do you keep an employee at a company because he’s a good person? College basketball is a business. It’s about winning and doing what you think is best going forward much the same as making business decisions with employees.

Last edited:

Top Bottom