All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

I believe Buckles transferred from Louisville last year and was going to be eligible to play for FIU this coming season.

So he'd be able to play immediately for us, I take it?

Makes too much sense since he was going to FIU and we don't have a PF on the roster (other than maybe Buggs).

I would think so? If he's indeed coming to the U I wouldn't think he would transfer if he had to sit out again. I'm not sure how that situation works.

Not without some bureaucratic involvement from the NCAA, I'm afraid. They have bigger fish to fry right now, but they might just take out their mess up of the Miami investigation on this guy and the U of M, of course.

Zach Johnson ‏@ZachJohnsonGI 36s
Rakeem Buckles, @R0ckwitdabest, signed with Louisville in 2009 and transferred to FIU last year. Unsure if he would be eligible in 2013?

Not even GI is sure if he could play. My enthusiasm has been subdued.

So what was the breaking news?

The breaking news (if you can call it that) is simply that Buckles could transfer to the U and that if he did he may or may not be able to play next year. Nothing to get excited about as of yet.

Apparently Buckles has said he's coming:

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 15m
Per @ZachJohnsonGI, PF Rakeem Buckles told source he's going to #Gophers. Ex-Louisville player. Would be nice get. Question = when eligible.

So what was the breaking news?

You have to pay to read their article, but my guess is that Buckles may try to get a waiver since he already sat out a year and the coach he signed to play with is now coaching at Minnesota.

Edit: That's great news that he wants to come. I'd take him even if he has to sit out a year. It would be like having another Trevor Mbakwe.

You have to pay to read their article, but my guess is that Buckles may try to get a waiver since he already sat out a year and the coach he signed to play with is now coaching at Minnesota.

Edit: That's great news that he wants to come. I'd take him even if he has to sit out a year. It would be like having another Trevor Mbakwe.

I think that's a legit argument that he has. Would be a good addition if he's healthy.

He has had four years in college, too, so one would assume he has graduated. Can't he use that Russell Wilson 5th year graduate rule to come here?

Doogie is saying he'd have 2 years eligibility but it looks like he's already played 3 years at Louisville. Did he get a medical redshirt one of his years? He has missed a ton of time due to injury it looks.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/45949/year/2011/rakeem-buckles

Edit: Found this info on his injury situation. Maybe he could have two years eligibility...

Forward Rakeem Buckles is the latest to take on a devastating knee injury; he tore a ligament in February of 2011 and was able to make a return relatively early this playing season, but this latest injury sustained against Marquette last Monday will cost Buckles not only the rest of this year, but the entirety of 2012-13 as well. It's such a shame for a young man who has worked so hard to rehabilitate and get back on the court to see such a devastating set back. The simple fact is, hoping the best for Rakeem, he reasonably may not suit up as a Cardinal again.

Doogie is saying he'd have 2 years eligibility but it looks like he's already played 3 years at Louisville. Did he get a medical redshirt one of his years? He has missed a ton of time due to injury it looks.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/45949/year/2011/rakeem-buckles

According to the GI article, he has used up taken 4 to play 3 so he needs to either get a waiver to immediately play next year or he needs to sit out a 2nd consecutive year and get a waiver to play the year after next. I don't think either are a given but I would expect at the worst the NCAA would give him the latter.

Why did he leave Lville? and why go from Lville to FIU?..other than Rich of course.

Why did he leave Lville? and why go from Lville to FIU?..other than Rich of course.

I'd guess his injury issues got him pushed to the end of the bench with younger players developing and moving ahead of him.

Mainly injuries I think.

He's listed as a senior on FIU's website so I think he'd only have one year left.

Let's say Buckles gets a waiver to play next year, Malik Smith uses the graduation rule to transfer and we get Alvin Ellis to recommit.

PG-Smith
SG-Dre
SF-Austin
PF-Buckles
C-EE

Bench
Coleman
Buggs
Wally
Ellis

Reserves
Mav
Oto
Mo
Halvorsen
Shell

That would be a very interesting team. The best part? Buckles and Smith would be done at the end of the year so we'd still have 4 open scholarships next year (Austin, Mav, Malik, and Buckles).

A similar situation to Jared Swopshire who played 2 years for Louisville before transferring to Northwestern where he was a key player. Swopshire played a bunch at Louisville but would have played less on this Louisville team.

Lieberman Fiu asst coached buckles in HS.

Does that mean Lieberman is new asst at mn?

Posted this in the Buckles thread as well, but isn't a graduate transfer option under the one-time exception because he's already transferred from a four year school. Minnesota would need to submit a waiver request and see where it goes.

He's used 3 years of eligibility already (one year only played 11 games, but some of those were in the second half of the season).

Pitino, Gophers Could Make Good Use of a Bad Rule [Buckles notes included]

To be honest, I am gonna trust GW's interpretation of this. He knows a hell of a lot more than I do. But then again, he did give only a two per cent chance of Mbakwe getting the extra year

Looks like Sina may be an option for IU according to ESPN sources, from whats that worth.

No, didn't say the same thing about Mbakwe. Very different scenarios.

Simply referring to the fact that you didn't think he'd be able to play and used NCAA rules as support. Understand that the reasons are different and you may be more confident with this one, but you were 98% confident with the last one. Again, I won't be surprised either way.

Simply referring to the fact that you didn't think he'd be able to play and used NCAA rules as support. Understand that the reasons are different and you may be more confident with this one, but you were 98% confident with the last one. Again, I won't be surprised either way.

That's fair - it sometimes gets down to what the parties (school and the NCAA/relevant committee) discuss. "I won't be surprised either way" is a reasonable assessment.

@collegebbnews: Marquette freshman forward Jamal Ferguson will transfer. The Norfolk native averaged 1.1 points and 0.6 rebounds in 4.6 minutes per game.

Top Bottom