Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I would be most excited if we landed Reid, with a close 2nd Vaughn. I know that's kind of obvious as they are the two highest rated hometown kids we have any sort of chance at, but I just love Reid's game and I think he fits the Big 10 quite nicely.... Would absolutely freak out if he committed.

I think I would be most excited if we landed Reid, with a close 2nd Vaughn. I know that's kind of obvious as they are the two highest rated hometown kids we have any sort of chance at, but I just love Reid's game and I think he fits the Big 10 quite nicely.... Would absolutely freak out if he committed.

Same here. Absolutely blown away every time I watch him play.

I think Ben Johnson being on staff is a big help too.

Tweet from Doogie. Seems Richard is bringing in the big guns ... Or Rick is secretly stealing our recruits

Rick (in town) and Richard Pitino made a stop over to DeLaSalle high school this afternoon. #gophers

Tweet from Doogie. Seems Richard is bringing in the big guns ... Or Rick is secretly stealing our recruits

Rick (in town) and Richard Pitino made a stop over to DeLaSalle high school this afternoon. #gophers

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Associate Head Coach? <a href="http://t.co/xw6VBWApjz">pic.twitter.com/xw6VBWApjz</a></p>— Richard Pitino (@MNCoachPitino) <a href="https://twitter.com/MNCoachPitino/statuses/365930293745561601">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Travis is exactly the type of player that Tom Izzo has built MSU into a Big Ten heavyweight with. Not saying that he's going there or anything like that, but he's a very good prospect that also appears likely to play 4 years in college. Making the NCAA tourney 4 consecutive years is a lot easier when you have very good players stay four years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Associate Head Coach? <a href="http://t.co/xw6VBWApjz">pic.twitter.com/xw6VBWApjz</a></p>— Richard Pitino (@MNCoachPitino) <a href="https://twitter.com/MNCoachPitino/statuses/365930293745561601">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

That is so cool!!! I love it!!! :D

I totally have that bobble head!

Reid Travis is a class act. Well spoken kid who is exactly what the University of Minnesota wants. The people of Minnesota are just waiting for another Minnesota Gopher final four team. Reid can help make it happen. We just need Reid to commit and other top players will follow. Go Gophers!

Pitino needs a big, and I agree with OSU that he looks like a MSU type player...Raymar Morgan, D Green etc. For an older reference I think of him as a Todd Mitchell (Purdue) throwback, a little undersized but a tough guy, we will need a tough guy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I confirmed from Reid Travis' dad that his son did decide to give up playing football for his senior year at DeLaSalle. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— PiPress Gophers Now (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/367832627216007168">August 15, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: DeLaSalle star Reid Travis gives up football to focus on basketbal

Jones and Travis made an unofficial visit together to Minnesota's campus to meet with first-year men's basketball coach Richard Pitino and his staff Tuesday afternoon.

Travis won't be making an official visit to the Gophers, his father said. But Reid Travis is interested in seeing Pitino's team play this season before making a decision.

"They would like for him to take an official, but obviously Reid lives so close here in the city," Nate Travis said. "It would probably be a role reversal. Reid would probably be giving him (Pitino) more of a tour of the city than the coach giving him a tour."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23865436/delasalle-star-reid-travis-gives-up-football-focus

Go Gophers!!

Jones and Travis made an unofficial visit together to Minnesota's campus to meet with first-year men's basketball coach Richard Pitino and his staff Tuesday afternoon.

Travis won't be making an official visit to the Gophers, his father said. But Reid Travis is interested in seeing Pitino's team play this season before making a decision.

"They would like for him to take an official, but obviously Reid lives so close here in the city," Nate Travis said. "It would probably be a role reversal. Reid would probably be giving him (Pitino) more of a tour of the city than the coach giving him a tour."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23865436/delasalle-star-reid-travis-gives-up-football-focus

Go Gophers!!

Great quote from his dad. The thing that worries me the most with Reid is Ryan James' comments that, based upon his knowledge of Reid, he may be the type of kid who wants to go away for college rather than blocks away from where his parents live.

Go Gophers!!

This contradicts everything that has been said so far as far as Reid giving the Gophers an official. Obviously it is coming straight from his dad so there has to be at least some validity but it is very surprising considering Reid has said many times he would take an official to Minnesota.

This contradicts everything that has been said so far as far as Reid giving the Gophers an official. Obviously it is coming straight from his dad so there has to be at least some validity but it is very surprising considering Reid has said many times he would take an official to Minnesota.

Maybe Reid wanted to and was planning on it, but his dad thinks it makes more sense to save his officials for other schools.

Maybe Reid wanted to and was planning on it, but his dad thinks it makes more sense to save his officials for other schools.

Yeah there's a good chance that that's the case. Like I said, I don't in anyway doubt the validity of the quote, nor do I think Reid was lying, it just surprises me. Hopefully dad comes around.

Travis is exactly the type of player that Tom Izzo has built MSU into a Big Ten heavyweight with. Not saying that he's going there or anything like that, but he's a very good prospect that also appears likely to play 4 years in college. Making the NCAA tourney 4 consecutive years is a lot easier when you have very good players stay four years.

Yes, that is why even though MN is pursuing other "higher ranked" recruits, several analysts have stated that Travis is our "#1 Target" for 2014. He plays a position of need for us, he's a local kid, very good student, and likely 3 or 4 year player.

Despite the bb tradition, nobody around here thinks he's ending up at MSU. If Travis leaves home it'll be for an academic school that is perceived to be significantly better than Minnesota ... Stanford has long been thought to be our primary competition.

New Travis Q&A with Doogie:

Minnesota? Rashad Vaughn told me he won't make an official visit there because he can go there whenever.

I would do an official. You want to show them how committed you are. They've been recruiting you for these many years, so you want to show them you are looking into them and interested in them. I think that's the ultimate way to show them: taking an official. There's a lot of ins and outs you can do on an official that you can't on an unofficial. I am kind of excited to see all of that.

Still high on Richard Pitino? I remember last time we talked that you said you like talking Xs and Os with him more than anyone else.

I'm still high on him. He's a great guy. Then the staff he's assembled and the players coming in -- I'm excited for the program and looking into it more.

What about assistant Ben Johnson (DeLaSalle alum)?

I talk to Ben a lot. I talked to Ben before he came to the "U", so we had that connection. He's a good guy, especially with the DeLaSalle connection. It's been nice catching up with him a lot.

When was the last time you talked to Ben or Richard?

I talked to them a couple days ago when I got back from my trip (Long Beach, CA).

www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Q_A_with_Reid_Travis_Basketball_now_the_DeLaSalle_stars_main_focus081513

Go Gophers!!

This is the recruit Coach Pitino, Coach Johnson ness to stay on.
Many of you think the Gophers have the best shot at Reid, I really feel we should be worried about Gonzaga and Stanford. I was at an AAU tournament this summer and a coach said Reid will not go to Minnesota. I sure hope this person is wrong but I do know this person probably is in the know. And no it was not Coach Thoreson

This is the recruit Coach Pitino, Coach Johnson ness to stay on.
Many of you think the Gophers have the best shot at Reid, I really feel we should be worried about Gonzaga and Stanford. I was at an AAU tournament this summer and a coach said Reid will not go to Minnesota. I sure hope this person is wrong but I do know this person probably is in the know. And no it was not Coach Thoreson

What makes you think he knows? I don't even think Travis knows where he wants to go yet.

Some 2 bit AAU coach who's identity will remain unknown would not know that Reid had eliminated the U a month or 2 ago. AAU coach speak and buck will get you a coffee at McDonalds

What makes you think he knows? I don't even think Travis knows where he wants to go yet.

I'm with you, Travis seems legitimately undecided on where he wants to go right now, and he's in no huge rush to make a decision for a few months. That "coach" is either an imaginary person, not actually a coach, or a coach talking out of their @ss with no information. It's all speculation right now.

In regards to my comment, it was never mentioned that the coach I was talking about was an AAU Coach. Secondly, I hope you are all right in saying Reid has not decided to go outstate. The Gophers need this kid as he will be a stud in Coach Pitino's system.

I played in the same conference as Reid and am good friends with a teammate of his who is a year older and was talking to him about Reid and he also said, he will not be a Gopher. Not that this can't change but seems as though a lot of close sources seem to think that its unlikely. Similar to Tyus playing of his disinterest in the program by complimenting the team, coaches, and state of Minnesota, Reid will do the same as long as he is affiliated with Minnesota... I'm still hoping for the best though.

I played in the same conference as Reid and am good friends with a teammate of his who is a year older and was talking to him about Reid and he also said, he will not be a Gopher. Not that this can't change but seems as though a lot of close sources seem to think that its unlikely. Similar to Tyus playing of his disinterest in the program by complimenting the team, coaches, and state of Minnesota, Reid will do the same as long as he is affiliated with Minnesota... I'm still hoping for the best though.

I've talked to his HS and AAU teammate James Lawson's mom, and she begs to differ. She gets the impression that Reid really likes Minnesota. I guess it's just a matter of who you hear it from.

I've talked to his HS and AAU teammate James Lawson's mom, and she begs to differ. She gets the impression that Reid really likes Minnesota. I guess it's just a matter of who you hear it from.

Well I spoke with a teammate whose Dad played for the U back in his day but I really hope that she is right. Doesn't really matter who you hear it from I guess because we'll all get the real answer come the time he commits. Fingers crossed

Well I spoke with a teammate whose Dad played for the U back in his day but I really hope that she is right. Doesn't really matter who you hear it from I guess because we'll all get the real answer come the time he commits. Fingers crossed
So you talked to Luke Scott. Who has not teamed with Travis since March. Things can change plus Travis still lists the U and that trumps second hand dated info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom