Initial 2020 Big Ten basketball power ratings (#12. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score

We will be young next year. I like oturu Carr and Kalscheur a lot. However, this is probably a fair rating

Meh. Nice to be an underdog, cause these kids are gonna surprise.

This rating is a joke, Iowa has no PG, PSU has no backcourt, Rutgers lost their best big man, Purdue, whose gonna score? and Wisconsin has eight eligible scholarship players. When we put Oklahoma on a modern day trail of tears in Sioux Falls, the rest of the league will be on notice.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Rating sounds about right. Lots of inexperience playing together and our 2 best players have departed. I’d be very surprised if this team wins 8 B1G games next year. Looks to me like a 6-7 win team at best.

Hopefully I’m proven wrong.

I do think you’re wrong. No blind homerism, just my impression that this team will be middle of the league, battling with the other 6-10 teams (and it will be tight). While they will be inexperienced and need to gel as a team, there are enough pieces to mix and match to put some nice combos on the floor. This is what is so much fun about college hoops—the roster keeps changing. I’m excited to see what this new bunch can do. I’m thankful that we’ll have a true point guard this year, I’ll tell you that.

Mine as of last Friday. Updated every Friday during the offseason.

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

Seems reasonable. I'm hoping we display a bit of upward mobility, but considering we're gonna have a lot of new faces on the floor, you gotta start somewhere.

JTG

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

That's a pretty fair spot for them at the moment. We obviously have a lot to prove. I think the bright side for us, as compared to a number of teams that lost a lot of talent is that we have at least 3 guys coming in who have considerable D1 experience and in the case of Carr and Willis, practiced all year with the team.

I think that of the teams above us, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa are all teams we could surpass. Purdue gets a lot of credit for what Painter has done in the past and rightfully so - but what they lost in Cline and Edwards is two guys who consistently stepped up and won games for them. That kind of shooting is hard to replace. The other three rosters don't scare me at all and Michigan will be in transition with the loss of Beilein.

I am the ultimate homer and not to be trusted on predictions, :) but I like our chances of being better than 9th. I like what Pitino is putting together in terms of the blend of abilities on this upcoming team.

Agree with you that Gophers can pass Wisconsin, Michigan, and Iowa, and I would add Illinois to that list because in my estimation the Illini have the toughest conference schedule in the Big Ten.

Where we differ is Purdue. I would bet the farm Boilers finish ahead of the Gophers. Sneaky-good talent coming back, one of the best coaches in the Big Ten, and the Boilers have a relatively cushy Big Ten schedule.

Agree with you that Gophers can pass Wisconsin, Michigan, and Iowa, and I would add Illinois to that list because in my estimation the Illini have the toughest conference schedule in the Big Ten.

Where we differ is Purdue. I would bet the farm Boilers finish ahead of the Gophers. Sneaky-good talent coming back, one of the best coaches in the Big Ten, and the Boilers have a relatively cushy Big Ten schedule.

I would also bet that Purdue finishes ahead of us, because historically, that's what happens. However, I think there is a chance that things do not go so easily for them without the two gamers (Edwards, Cline). But, yes they still have plenty of talent. The thing that I thought set them apart last year was their ability to burn you with 3s. The three guys that are gone (including Eifert) shot 726 of their 854 3s and they made almost 39% of them. So they are going to have to really remake themselves (as will the Gophers).

I would also bet that Purdue finishes ahead of us, because historically, that's what happens. However, I think there is a chance that things do not go so easily for them without the two gamers (Edwards, Cline). But, yes they still have plenty of talent. The thing that I thought set them apart last year was their ability to burn you with 3s. The three guys that are gone (including Eifert) shot 726 of their 854 3s and they made almost 39% of them. So they are going to have to really remake themselves (as will the Gophers).

Purdue did add a good grad-transfer in SG Jahaad Proctor. Averaged almost 20 pts a game last year for High Point. He won't have an Edwards-type impact, but he'll provide some scoring punch.

Hard to disagree. Big losses in Murph and Coffee.

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

Can I ask why you’re so down on Indiana. I think for once they have the chance to live up to the hype. I know they’re overrated every year.

IU

Can I ask why you’re so down on Indiana. I think for once they have the chance to live up to the hype. I know they’re overrated every year.

I haven’t heard any hype about Hoosiers other than from their own fans.

Generally speaking, not that high on their returning talent, and they lost their best two players to boot (Morgan & Langford). That said, if there’s a team that could burn me, I think it’s the Hoosiers.

I do think you’re wrong. No blind homerism, just my impression that this team will be middle of the league, battling with the other 6-10 teams (and it will be tight). While they will be inexperienced and need to gel as a team, there are enough pieces to mix and match to put some nice combos on the floor. This is what is so much fun about college hoops—the roster keeps changing. I’m excited to see what this new bunch can do. I’m thankful that we’ll have a true point guard this year, I’ll tell you that.

I'm kind of with you. I think the loss of Murphy creates a big hole but the loss of Coffey less so (particularly if we can get another experienced guard or wing). If Coffey had been the lone returning star on a team with a lot of new faces, I fear that he may have dominated the ball and the shot attempts. I hope to see a team with a number of leaders in the upcoming season.

I'll be pretty surprised if they finish as high as #6, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they finished 7 through 9.

Edwards had some great offensive games, but he was also a black hole and became a liability at times when he was not hitting his shots. I think some of that was just their team's offensive strategy. I expect them to look different this year, but that might be to their benefit.

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

SS, what do you like about Iowa to be upper half? They lose their two best players from last year and three of their five best players and have a pedestrian recruiting class coming in relative to the rest of the Big Ten (including Minnesota, which is several rungs higher). Gophers also have two P6 transfers who had a year to learn the system. I'm not saying the Gophers will win the Big Ten, but I don't know how Iowa is ahead of MN (or Mich). I think there's a better chance that Iowa is in your Weakling Wednesday than 7th. They have Wieskamp and Garza (both really good) but not much else. Iowa really was able to take advantage of a weaker schedule last year, too (avoided having to play most of the top Big Ten teams twice). Haven't looked, maybe they have another cupcake Big Ten??

Last edited:

Updated 6/7/19

Offseason weekly B1G Friday projection of Big Ten ? standings

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Michigan
8 Iowa
9 Minnesota
10 Indiana
11 Penn State
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

SS, what do you like about Iowa to be upper half? They lose their two best players from last year and three of their five best players and have a pedestrian recruiting class coming in relative to the rest of the Big Ten (including Minnesota, which is several rungs higher). Gophers also have two P6 transfers who had a year to learn the system. I'm not saying the Gophers will win the Big Ten, but I don't know how Iowa is ahead of MN (or Mich). I think there's a better chance that Iowa is in your Weakling Wednesday than 7th. They have Wieskamp and Garza (both really good) but not much else. Iowa really was able to take advantage of a weaker schedule last year, too (avoided having to play most of the top Big Ten teams twice). Haven't looked, maybe they have another cupcake Big Ten??

Very fair question. Until I hear Bohannon is definitely out for the entire season, keeping Hawkeyes squarely in the middle. Iowa, Gophers, and Michigan are the 3 teams I’m finding most difficult to differentiate.

Very fair question. Until I hear Bohannon is definitely out for the entire season, keeping Hawkeyes squarely in the middle. Iowa, Gophers, and Michigan are the 3 teams I’m finding most difficult to differentiate.
Guessing Bohannon done since Iowa added a PG from Valpo today

After 6 years of Pitino, where is the program headed?

The hard-core Pitino backers told us that 2 of the last 3 years were good and the trajectory was on the upswing. What happens if we finish between 9-12 in the B1G this year and miss the Dance?

The hard-core Pitino backers told us that 2 of the last 3 years were good and the trajectory was on the upswing. What happens if we finish between 9-12 in the B1G this year and miss the Dance?
9th place might actually get you in the dance. 8/9 game in the BTT was a NCAA defacto play in game last year. To your point if we're playing on Wednesday next Pitino will probably get fired. Next year he needs to have year like last year, I think his team is capable of that, if they can do that and add someone like Daja or Garcia in 2020 to their current young core, they should have a contendter in 2021. But anymore years like two years ago or even like his second year happen before he contends, he will be gone. At some point it'll be like Mason who got a decade with football. Need to get to a sweet 16 or finish top three in the league or it's gonna feel like we're stulled on the side of the road

If we miss the dance, that's a big problem. Cant go 2 for 7.

We're probably looking for a coach having waited a year to long to get Musselman, Hoiberg etc. Life as a Gopher fan.

If we miss the dance, that's a big problem. Cant go 2 for 7.

If we get into the tournament that would be 3 of the last 4. Historic for Minnesota. That's how close disaster and relative success are to each other. A lot of it is in how one chooses to frame it.

We're probably looking for a coach having waited a year to long to get Musselman, Hoiberg etc. Life as a Gopher fan.
If Pitino fails there will be plenty of better long term answers

If we get into the tournament that would be 3 of the last 4. Historic for Minnesota. That's how close disaster and relative success are to each other. A lot of it is in how one chooses to frame it.

True .
But terrible conference records and getting into the tourney is nothing to be proud of. They just need 68 teams and now get teams in with sub .500 conference records in. Lets win the conference and grab a 2 seed.

Edwards had some great offensive games, but he was also a black hole and became a liability at times when he was not hitting his shots. I think some of that was just their team's offensive strategy. I expect them to look different this year, but that might be to their benefit.

IALTO! B10 title and a fluke play away from a Final Four. Wish we had that "liability" one of these decades.

IALTO! B10 title and a fluke play away from a Final Four. Wish we had that "liability" one of these decades.
I mean we did beat them twice and blew a 13 point lead in the five minute span that he was good against us

Top Bottom