KSTP hating on the gophers and Jerry Kill

The only "program turner" I am old enough to remember...is Holtz.

And he cheated to get there, just like he cheated at Arkansas, Notre Dame and South Carolina.

How that jack-hole is in the College Football Hall of Fame after winning 1 NC at ND is completely baffling to me.

I have no problem with people ripping on the Gophers or being negative when it's due. However, my issue with most of the local media is that they simply don't follow the Gophers when it comes to anything positive. They are pro sports fan who can only pretend to show any interest in college sports, so they take the easy route (bash when things aren't good).

For instance, I've heard several times on KFAN and WCCO that "the Gophers haven't been relevant in 40 years". What is the definition of relevant in college football? Is it Rose Bowl or bust?

I've said this 100 times at least. I don't care if what is written or broadcast about the Gophers is positive or negative, it should be both depending on what is being displayed on the field/ice/court. I just want informed opinion. And that is what is lacking in most of the coverage.

I think Phil Miller does the best job, in the mainstream media, MV for the "new" media. He is not always rosy, but he understands the football team well enough to understand why things may have gone well or poorly.

If you called the radio hacks and ran through the Viking equivalent by naming the players who missed the last Gopher game e.g. said that Kalil was out instead of Eddie Olson, and ran through the whole list, they would be able to tell you the name, strengths and weaknesses of every backup, compare them to the team they are playing, and every other team in the NFC north. I don't think that any radio personality and most of the print media would even be able to name 50% of the starters on the Gopher football team without a cheat sheet.

If you called the radio hacks and ran through the Viking equivalent by naming the players who missed the last Gopher game e.g. said that Kalil was out instead of Eddie Olson, and ran through the whole list, they would be able to tell you the name, strengths and weaknesses of every backup, compare them to the team they are playing, and every other team in the NFC north. I don't think that any radio personality and most of the print media would even be able to name 50% of the starters on the Gopher football team without a cheat sheet.

I don't think I've ever read anything on gopher hole more spot on than these sentences. Ever.

And he cheated to get there, just like he cheated at Arkansas, Notre Dame and South Carolina.

How that jack-hole is in the College Football Hall of Fame after winning 1 NC at ND is completely baffling to me.

It's pretty simple, he was not charged with much. His "cheating" at Minnesota officially consisted of:

The committee found that Holtz, who left the Minnesota football coaching job for Notre Dame in November 1985, had given $250 cash to an unidentified athlete to pay for a course that allowed the athlete to remain eligible for competition. Infractions by Ex-Official Holtz was also found to have given between $25 and $40 to Roselle Richardson to reimburse the former quarterback for the loss of a wallet.

"I made two errors of judgment," Holtz said at a news conference at South Bend, Ind., adding that the payments were made for humanitarian reasons and not to gain a competitive advantage.

It's pretty simple, he was not charged with much. His "cheating" at Minnesota officially consisted of:

The committee found that Holtz, who left the Minnesota football coaching job for Notre Dame in November 1985, had given $250 cash to an unidentified athlete to pay for a course that allowed the athlete to remain eligible for competition. Infractions by Ex-Official Holtz was also found to have given between $25 and $40 to Roselle Richardson to reimburse the former quarterback for the loss of a wallet.

"I made two errors of judgment," Holtz said at a news conference at South Bend, Ind., adding that the payments were made for humanitarian reasons and not to gain a competitive advantage.

Luther Darville.

Direct quote from Holtz to underlings, "I don't care how you do it, and I don't want to know, but handle it, and make the kid happy!"

1500 doesn't miss a beat. Yet again, railing into the coaching staff for playing Philip Nelson too late. AFTER A BLOWOUT.

Last week: Philip Nelson should red shirt.
This week: Philip Nelson should have played all year.

1500 doesn't miss a beat. Yet again, railing into the coaching staff. AFTER A BLOWOUT.

At work so I can't listen. What could they possibly be railing on after that one? There is always room for improvment but I didn't see much there on Saturday that would be worth bitching about.

Basically saying that Nelson should have been playing all year, after they said last week that they should have red shirted him.

Then, someone called in saying that he had a hamstring injury and couldn't have played till at least Syracuse. Then they all say he should have played at Syracuse. They sound like a bunch of toddlers that can't make up their mind.

It's laughable is what it is. I understand the Gophers get some much deserved criticism, but we just blew out Purdue. 44 unanswered points. They said one sentence about the big win (extremely sarcastically might I add), and then spent the entire segment bashing the program.

In comparison, the Twins have been the joke of the MLB for two years and have not won a playoff series in a decade. Christian Ponder has been nothing short of terrible for the last month or so. They get 1/100th of the hate that the Gophers get.

Honestly, it's going to take a Rose Bowl to get them off the program's back. Nothing less. Which makes no sense because this city hasn't had a championship in any sport but Gopher hockey and Lynx basketball for 2+ decades.

I know I'm adding to the posts, but we've got threads like this one and the one on that dip*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# Souhan going several pages and very few on how the Gophers actually played. The offensive line played a heck of a lot better. Kirkwood and Williams actually had some holes to run through. Never checked, but they must have averaged close to 5 yards a carry. There was the "Here we ago again moment" on the early Purdue run, but I thought the defense was a lot more aggressive and attacking until they just went into their prevent mode the second half.

That's one of the things that bothers me about the media around here. They basically are uninformed but that still doesn't stop us fans from paying attention to and reacting to them. They do know how to push our buttons.

I wonder if Radio K (the U of M radio station) might do a better job with a Gopher sports show. I heard Judd and Souhan's segment, and I was really dissapointed. I was looking forward to some positive talk and analysis today (this week). Something like "The Gopher's receivers had been open in earlier games, and finally this game they were hit in stride". There were plenty of talking points.
Oh well, glad that we have this forum and the good people here to discuss with.

I know I'm adding to the posts, but we've got threads like this one and the one on that dip*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# Souhan going several pages and very few on how the Gophers actually played. The offensive line played a heck of a lot better. Kirkwood and Williams actually had some holes to run through. Never checked, but they must have averaged close to 5 yards a carry. There was the "Here we ago again moment" on the early Purdue run, but I thought the defense was a lot more aggressive and attacking until they just went into their prevent mode the second half.

That's one of the things that bothers me about the media around here. They basically are uninformed but that still doesn't stop us fans from paying attention to and reacting to them. They do know how to push our buttons.

The Gophers played GREAT on Saturday. If Kill didn't want to protect his best and only healthy QB who knows how mnay points they would have put on the board. Don't blame the media for this one, that's all on US! Bleed, Bless him, published links to a whole bunch of articles nearly all of them praising the Gophers for their destruction of Purdue. What do we do? Someone posts a thread whining about the 2nd Half and a ton more people focus on Souhan's column.

Souhan's column was childishly snide to be sure but the reaction to it has been way over the top. He was right though in thinking about what "could have been". How could anybody who claims to be a Gopher fan NOT have had that thought on Saturday? People really think that Kill was just trying to placate the media by saying that even HE had second thoughts about it on Saturday. They same guy who went into a 15 minute , after the press conference tirade, just last week?

He also said that he wasn't going to 2nd guess himself because there's nothing he could do about it anyway. Good for him. He probably had many very good reasons for NOT playing Nelson before the Wisconsin game. Some of which were pointed out on the thread. Certainly doesn't mean he hadn't THOUGHT about it. Which is what many people on here have loudly proclaimed. But seriously?

People should go back and click on all those darn links and videos and get REAL happy about that Gopher win. Nope, instead they'll focus on Souhan, ignore Kill and whine about people leaving.

Masochism - the way of the Gopher Fan.:banghead:

I gotcha Iceland12. Good points. It was about the most fun I've had a sporting event in a very long time. My brother called it the Perfect Storm (everything was going our way).
No need to focus on things that we have no control over, and being a fan of any team should be fun. So yes, I am with you.

Kirkwood and Williams actually had some holes to run through. Never checked, but they must have averaged close to 5 yards a carry.

Kirkland: 22 for 134 - 6.1 avg.
Williams: 9 for 43 - 4.8 avg.

The Gophers played GREAT on Saturday. If Kill didn't want to protect his best and only healthy QB who knows how mnay points they would have put on the board. Don't blame the media for this one, that's all on US! Bleed, Bless him, published links to a whole bunch of articles nearly all of them praising the Gophers for their destruction of Purdue. What do we do? Someone posts a thread whining about the 2nd Half and a ton more people focus on Souhan's column.

Souhan's column was childishly snide to be sure but the reaction to it has been way over the top. He was right though in thinking about what "could have been". How could anybody who claims to be a Gopher fan NOT have had that thought on Saturday? People really think that Kill was just trying to placate the media by saying that even HE had second thoughts about it on Saturday. They same guy who went into a 15 minute , after the press conference tirade, just last week?

He also said that he wasn't going to 2nd guess himself because there's nothing he could do about it anyway. Good for him. He probably had many very good reasons for NOT playing Nelson before the Wisconsin game. Some of which were pointed out on the thread. Certainly doesn't mean he hadn't THOUGHT about it. Which is what many people on here have loudly proclaimed. But seriously?

People should go back and click on all those darn links and videos and get REAL happy about that Gopher win. Nope, instead they'll focus on Souhan, ignore Kill and whine about people leaving.

Masochism - the way of the Gopher Fan.:banghead:

I agree with what you're saying. The main thing is, we should be excited about the game and the future of the program.

Just to comment on the bolded. There's so many things that could have happened if Nelson starts the year as the QB. What if it is way overwhelming for him and he gets so frustrated and down on himself? He very well could be worse right now because he started the year when he wasn't ready. What if we go 2-2 and even 1-3 in the non-conference schedule, and players are wondering why we didn't start a senior QB who's one of the team leaders? Things like that could easily divide the team.

The "what could have been" could just as easily been a disaster.

I agree with what you're saying. The main thing is, we should be excited about the game and the future of the program.

Just to comment on the bolded. There's so many things that could have happened if Nelson starts the year as the QB. What if it is way overwhelming for him and he gets so frustrated and down on himself? He very well could be worse right now because he started the year when he wasn't ready. What if we go 2-2 and even 1-3 in the non-conference schedule, and players are wondering why we didn't start a senior QB who's one of the team leaders? Things like that could easily divide the team.

The "what could have been" could just as easily been a disaster.

G.I.I.;

True that! Didn't think they should have started him before finding out if Gray or Max could stay healthy and/or handle the job. Hard to believe though that everybody watching that game hadn't THOUGHT about it.

Top Bottom