***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

And I thought this team could bring it home for the final four in MPLS...

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right. We lost by 15 points because of that one play by Washington. Before that we had Maryland on the ropes.

And he got completely hacked on the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD shot 70% from the field in the 2nd half

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Better Team

I just returned home from the game and it was a winnable game. We needed to have a killer instinct in the first half but we didn't. The Maryland coach won the game by going to a zone in the second half. The Gophers not knowing how to score consistently vs. the zone, and missing free throws cost us the game.

The refs didn't lose this one for us. Oturo had a clear offensive goal tend on one play and they didn't call it. Missed some shots down the stretch.

Maryland had size and quickness and really good free throw shooting! Maryland played well!

Our Achilles heel continues to be scoring against a zone. Look for teams to keep throwing zones at us until we can figure it out.

Attacking the zone

1. Make jump shots

2. Get to foul line by making them reach

3. Make FTs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is interesting...I see a lot of posts from people that were absent when the Gophers whooped Wisconsin last week. The sky is not falling right now. Both of these teams have been impressive thus far, and I believe will show more improvement relative to the rest of the conference (barring injuries). Maryland has a young roster and should improve, and I believe Eric Curry will make a significant difference for the Gophers. I thought he looked much better tonight than he did in the last game. The score might not show it, but this looked like a pretty even game aside from the free throw difficulties.

Congratulations to MD for the win. They were the better team tonight; however, all the missed FTs changed the dynamic of the game. Gophers could have had a more comfortable lead and may not have tightened up.

Murphy's struggles are concerning. He needs to start taking and knocking down the 15 footer.

Turning point for me was when game was tied and Washington did his usual "take the game over because I'm God Jelly Fam." and they got the ball and went to the other end and hit a three. Everything went down hill from there, and Washington got pulled quick as hell. I feel like he shouldn't even see more than 2 mins a game.
It's incredible how powerful this Washington guy is in your psyche.

Turning point for me was when game was tied and Washington did his usual "take the game over because I'm God Jelly Fam." and they got the ball and went to the other end and hit a three. Everything went down hill from there, and Washington got pulled quick as hell. I feel like he shouldn't even see more than 2 mins a game.

Washington was hit on the wrist on that play.

He’s frustrating at times but I feel like he’s the only one who can consistently attack a zone too.

This is interesting...I see a lot of posts from people that were absent when the Gophers whooped Wisconsin last week. The sky is not falling right now. Both of these teams have been impressive thus far, and I believe will show more improvement relative to the rest of the conference (barring injuries). Maryland has a young roster and should improve, and I believe Eric Curry will make a significant difference for the Gophers. I thought he looked much better tonight than he did in the last game. The score might not show it, but this looked like a pretty even game aside from the free throw difficulties.

Good point. Must have been a tough 36 days for a lot of people since the last loss and especially the win at Wisconsin. Nothing for these guys to complain about until now. NOW they have all the evidence they need that the whole season is back on the edge. What joy for them.

Perhaps all you Pitino haters should get it all out now. Pretty weak sauce so far and I know there are a few more that are dying to explain how this is the end of the world. Think about it guys - if Pitino makes some adjustments and wins a few games you will be back to being silenced for few more games - could be painful for you. Best to make hay...

You are right on the free throws. That is the difference. Maryland goes 24 for 27 and we go 9 for 23.

Last edited:

Horrific team defense in the second half. Free throws is not on the coaches but tolerating putrid defense is.

+1. they had horrible effort tonight, they didn't bring the same defensive effort they brought at Wisc and that is on the coaching.

Sounds like Curry was just a cramp, so some good news. Have to win the next 3.

The most frustrating part is that this game was very winnable. First half was strong. We have many good pieces - which came together well against Wisconsin but fell apart in this game against Maryland. To be fair, Maryland has some excellent players and made some great shots, but for us to miss soooo many free throws was absolutely demoralizing. We undid ourselves with that. Pitino did not do as well assembling the pieces tonight.

I'm encouraged to see Curry improving each week.

Definitely has to start with a win over Rutgers at home. That should happen.

It should be an entertaining conference season. This might be the best the conference has been from top to bottom in my lifetime as the teams at the bottom are still at least average. Thus far, the Gophers look like a tournament team, and that is what matters the most. Anything is possible if they qualify for the NCAA tournament.

Nice to know that we are well coached enough to counter a g*d[bleep]ed zone defense. Because once they figured out we were under 40% from the FT line, they knew we wouldn't be hitting as many FGs as them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Time and time again a zone stifles their offense, if they were getting good shots then I would say they are just a bad shooting team but they don't generate many good shots, I don't see it as anything but a coaching failure and unfortunately I don't see anything changing that.

It should be an entertaining conference season. This might be the best the conference has been from top to bottom in my lifetime as the teams at the bottom are still at least average. Thus far, the Gophers look like a tournament team, and that is what matters the most. Anything is possible if they qualify for the NCAA tournament.

I think those bottom 5 teams are hot garbage. You think Illinois is average ? Average is 10-10

I think those bottom 5 teams are hot garbage. You think Illinois is average ? Average is 10-10

The bottom 5 teams right now are Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers, Penn State, and Illinois. Iowa is tied with Nebraska with a 1-3 conference record, and they are currently in the top 25. Illinois has many losses, but I guess I would say they are quality losses, as 6 of those losses are to fairly competitive P5 teams, and only 1 of their 7 losses are to non-P5 teams (FAU by 2 points). So no, I don't believe they are "hot garbage " right now.

The bottom 5 teams right now are Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers, Penn State, and Illinois. Iowa is tied with Nebraska with a 1-3 conference record, and they are currently in the top 25. Illinois has many losses, but I guess I would say they are quality losses, as 6 of those losses are to fairly competitive P5 teams, and only 1 of their 7 losses are to non-P5 teams (FAU by 2 points). So no, I don't believe they are "hot garbage " right now.

Sorry, Iowa WAS in the top 25, not that it really makes much of a difference.

Sorry, Iowa WAS in the top 25, not that it really makes much of a difference.

Can not find Nebraska in the top 25. Rutgers, Penn State And Illinois are terrible. Do you think 10-10 is average ? The bottom 5 will be even worse than that. I saw Illinois in person and they have a terrible team.

Can not find Nebraska in the top 25. Rutgers, Penn State And Illinois are terrible. Do you think 10-10 is average ? The bottom 5 will be even worse than that. I saw Illinois in person and they have a terrible team.

OK

If Pitino loses his job after this year, the number 1 thing to point to will be a completely unacceptable home record. There is just no way you can lose this game tonight after getting a big road win at Wisconsin. The Gophers now need to find another road win of quality to make up for the garbage they put on the floor tonight. I see people talking about the zone offense, which was pathetic, but Maryland started out the second half 8 for F'ING 8 from the field on the road. How about some sort of adjustment? Kalscheur could not guard Cowan and Oturu could not guard Fernando. Go zone? Start doubling? SOMETHING??? Do Something before it gets to 8 for 8?

The refs and the crowd both sucked tonight as well. There is no home court advantage for Minnesota. Obviously when you have a f'ing losing record at home in conference play for your tenure that is in it's 6th year, you've created the environment where people sit on their hands and there's tons of empty seats.

At one point in the second half when the Gophers still had the lead, they were 8-17 from the line and Maryland was 16-17 from the line. It was even worse than that as the Gophers had missed the front end at least twice and one of those missed free throws also lead directly to Murphy's 3rd foul.

The one positive from tonight was Eric Curry continues to look better coming back from his knee injury. I don't see much vertical explosion, but everything else seems to be coming a long nicely.

I wouldn't go that far but I agree with your essential premise: the bottom half of the conference isn't that great. Right now the conference has 6 really good to pretty good teams: Mich St, Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland (young but with very good potential), Purdue (I believe will bounce back from a rough non-conference), and probably Indiana. The rest of the conference is made up of average to below average power conference teams. Of course, Wisconsin might end up performing above its talent level for the season. Nebraska definitely has some capable players but possibly not enough.

He’s frustrating at times but I feel like he’s the only one who can consistently attack a zone too.

Yup.

Need some penetration from the guard to loosen it up.

Nebraska was ranked when we beat them.

Getting him time on the court during non conference was a missed opportunity. But Pitino was too busy teaching him a lesson on the bench to teach him on the court.

I think he is referring to average for D1 teams or perhaps average for power conference teams. I don't think Illinois right now is an average power conference team. Illinois is at least an average D1 team.

As far as an "average team," a .500 team is THE mathematical average TEAM of records within a conference but when you are talking about average TEAMS within a conference it makes more sense to use a range. So, with 20 games, the average teams within a conference probably would have something like 9 through 11 wins.

Maryland has 3 NBA players: Fernando, Smith, and Cowan. Maryland has a true pg, two athletic bigs, and 3 guys who can hit 3's consistently. They are also one of the most athletic teams in the big ten. The have only 1 bad loss which was to S. Hall when they couldnt hit anything. Talented but young team.

Not to overgeneralize based on one game, but seeing Murphy struggle against tall athletic bigs is what the NBA is full of. Not suprisingly Oturu had a much better game than Murphy.

To beat a team who has better athletes, nba potential, you would have to execute, play really hard, make smart plays, and hit shots, especially from the free throw line. We didn't do that.

Maybe a zone would have kept Cowan out of the lane and the bigs from getting easy shots?? With low motor Murphy getting us just 5 rebounds we were at a 39-28 deficit, and maybe they would have just volleyballed the offensive boards but I think a zone was still worth a try.

We have few options against a quick pg like Cowan. McBrayer has ok lateral quickness. Gabe works his butt off but not quite there. IW is the only one with the quickness to guard him, but he is so undisciplined.

Maryland is a tough matchup. Even if we hit our free throws, we still lose.

Top Bottom