Several U Football Players Face Discipline

Has that been confirmed by the University?

The U hasn’t said a word. However, that much the Strib was given from multiple sources and all of the pay sites have said the same. Seems a pretty safe assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The U hasn’t said a word. However, that much the Strib was given from multiple sources and all of the pay sites have said the same. Seems a pretty safe assumption.

So it is rumor and hearsay, not news.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So it is rumor and hearsay, not news.

Sure, go with that. I’m sure a responsible news source wouldn’t report this, no matter how many sources they have, unless the U confirms. If the U continues to not respond to their requests for comment then it is never news, just a rumor, don’t report.

Okay. Just curious.

Yes, but these "kids" are also scholarship athletes - or at the least, walk-on athletes - on the only D1 College FB team in the State. And this matter - whatever its nature - may impact whether they are allowed to participate in a nationally-televised game - a game that the school is receiving a lot of money to appear in.

It's not like some HS kids getting busted as a party. All of the players (I assume) are over 18 and are legal adults.

This is news. You don't have to like it. But it is news.

Yeah, but they still have privacy rights. Punishment will be meted out according to the nature of the infraction(s). If no crime has been committed, it is an internal university/athletics matter.

Yeah, but they still have privacy rights. Punishment will be meted out according to the nature of the infraction(s). If no crime has been committed, it is an internal university/athletics matter.

I would argue the university should never release a statement about player health or discipline without their consent.

We do? How many?

First paragraph of the Strip story:

At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and have not been allowed to practice recently in preparation for the Quick Lane Bowl for violating team rules, multiple sources told the Star Tribune. The players face suspension and could miss the Dec. 26 bowl game against Georgia Tech in Detroit.

This is silly. I am a complete novice on Twitter, but with little effort was able to find (5) media guys confirming this story. None of them are speculating specifics, but all are saying kids have been suspended from practices for violation of team rules. So, unless you are running with the theory that there is a conspiracy that they are all in on, and that the U doesn’t see the value in squashing that conspiracy, then yes, we do.

If I’m going to get fired, I’m smart enough not to make statements that harm my next opportunity for similarly compensated employment

and one year later.....

[at Washington State] Tracy Claeys is signed for the next two seasons and will make $625,000 in base salary in 2018 with a raise to $650,000 in 2019.

So guess his attempt to submarine himself backfired. That amount is less than he made as a HC, but more than he made here as DC.

Coyle is a joke - which he's proving once again today. People can take pot shots at him all day long, anyone with any knowledge in the industry knows what kind of a man he is, and won't have any issue with any person working with Coyle showing HIS integrity by not going along with Coyle's lies of convenience.

One of the great tweets from the sh!t my dad says twitter feed from a few years ago...."Don't kiss their asses when they're sh!tt!ng on you". It's good advice. You should keep it in mind should you, God forbid, work for someone without a moral compass (like Coyle) who is willing to say and do anything to protect his boss (Kaler), who is equally morally inept as Coyle is himself, decide to hang you out to dry with the people who work with you. His claim that Claeys was on board was as disingenuous as waiting until Claeys went to the press conf. for the bowl then tried to burn the whole house down while Claeys was gone.

The problems at the top continue, and PJ Fleck is suffering because of it, hence my signature.

Last edited:

This is silly. I am a complete novice on Twitter, but with little effort was able to find (5) media guys confirming this story. None of them are speculating specifics, but all are saying kids have been suspended from practices for violation of team rules. So, unless you are running with the theory that there is a conspiracy that they are all in on, and that the U doesn’t see the value in squashing that conspiracy, then yes, we do.

So, to summarize: nobody knows the number but between 6-8, for an unknown violation, with unknown punishments. Sounds like solid information from a real “in the know” source.

“Media guys” trolling for outrage on Twitter doesn’t sound like a solid source. Sorry.

I’m not arguing something probably happened as the university did not outright deny but to speculate without out ANY actual knowledge of events, violations, number involved seems pretty weak.

Give me a concrete number suspended from the bowl game and I’ll go away. I don’t even care about what they did.

Sure, go with that. I’m sure a responsible news source wouldn’t report this, no matter how many sources they have, unless the U confirms. If the U continues to not respond to their requests for comment then it is never news, just a rumor, don’t report.

Human Nature 101.

People will pay for rumor and hearsay, if it reinforces the preconceived disposition. If they get if for free, then all the better.

If the information does not reinforce their preconceived ideas, then they will bitterly and unethically fight it.

First paragraph of the Strip story:

At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and have not been allowed to practice recently in preparation for the Quick Lane Bowl for violating team rules, multiple sources told the Star Tribune. The players face suspension and could miss the Dec. 26 bowl game against Georgia Tech in Detroit.

The Tribune story said 6-8. They don’t know. If the media guys have multiple, reliable, solid sources close to the program one would think they’d have knowledge of the number suspended from practicing, number out for the bowl game, violation, etc. They don’t have it or the sources don’t agree or it would already be out there. Let’s not pretend the local papers and media are all of a sudden concerned about protecting player reputations out of journalistic virtue. They’re more worried about being wrong and the university publicly slapping their hand.

and one year later.....

[at Washington State] Tracy Claeys is signed for the next two seasons and will make $625,000 in base salary in 2018 with a raise to $650,000 in 2019.

So guess his attempt to submarine himself backfired. That amount is less than he made as a HC, but more than he made here as DC.

Coyle is a joke - which he's proving once again today. People can take pot shots at him all day long, anyone with any knowledge in the industry knows what kind of a man he is, and won't have any issue with any person working with Coyle showing HIS integrity by not going along with Coyle's lies of convenience.

One of the great tweets from the sh!t my dad says twitter feed from a few years ago...."Don't kiss their asses when they're sh!tt!ng on you". It's good advice. You should keep it in mind should you, God forbid, working for someone without a moral compass (like Coyle) who is willing to say and do anything to protect his boss (Kaler), who is equally morally inept as Coyle is himself.

But the problems at the top continue, and PJ Fleck is suffering because of it, hence my signature.[/QUOT

Wow! You are one of the few who think that Mark C was not justified in firing TC. With TC at the helm, we would be bitching about their 2 win season. Instead we are going bowling - granted not the bowl we all wanted but for me winning the axe makes up for not playing on Jan.1. P.s. who really gives a rats axx as to how much he is earning at WSU? What ever it is, is to much.

The Tribune story said 6-8. They don’t know. If the media guys have multiple, reliable, solid sources close to the program one would think they’d have knowledge of the number suspended from practicing, number out for the bowl game, violation, etc. They don’t have it or the sources don’t agree or it would already be out there. Let’s not pretend the local papers and media are all of a sudden concerned about protecting player reputations out of journalistic virtue. They’re more worried about being wrong and the university publicly slapping their hand.

Ah who's pretending that? Though compared to last time...

Story says that: At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and have not been allowed to practice recently in preparation something that a whole number of people could confirm.

Then it said :The number of players disciplined is said to be between six and eight, several sources said.

Probably means that weren't allowed to practice but they had conflicted information about the other two.

Several Gophers football players disciplined, face possible bowl game suspension

Coach P.J. Fleck and athletic director Mark Coyle did not return messages Tuesday seeking comment.

The alleged team rule violations reported from the sources do not involve assault or violence. Sources cited reasons for the disciplinary action, and the names of some players involved, but since those details have not been confirmed, the Star Tribune is not publishing that information. The number of players disciplined is said to be between six and eight, several sources said.

The Gophers (6-6) qualified for the Quick Lane Bowl by reaching six wins in Fleck’s second year as coach with a 37-15 victory over Wisconsin on Nov. 24. The team rule violations came following that game, Minnesota’s first win over Wisconsin since 2003.

This marks the second time in three years that the Gophers are expected to be without several players for their bowl game because of disciplinary reasons. In December 2016 when Tracy Claeys was the Gophers coach, the university suspended 10 players ahead of the Holiday Bowl in connection with an alleged sexual assault that September. After multiple appeals in 2017, five players had their suspensions overturned, four were expelled and one received a one-year suspension.

Also on Tuesday, the Gophers learned they will be without senior linebacker Blake Cashman, who announced he will skip the bowl game to prepare for the NFL draft.

http://www.startribune.com/several-...face-possible-bowl-game-suspension/502505901/

and one year later.....

One of the great tweets from the sh!t my dad says twitter feed from a few years ago...."Don't kiss their asses when they're sh!tt!ng on you". It's good advice. You should keep it in mind should you, God forbid, working for someone without a moral compass (like Coyle) who is willing to say and do anything to protect his boss (Kaler), who is equally morally inept as Coyle is himself.

But the problems at the top continue, and PJ Fleck is suffering because of it, hence my signature.[/QUOT

Wow! You are one of the few who think that Mark C was not justified in firing TC. With TC at the helm, we would be bitching about their 2 win season. Instead we are going bowling - granted not the bowl we all wanted but for me winning the axe makes up for not playing on Jan.1. P.s. who really gives a rats axx as to how much he is earning at WSU? What ever it is, is to much.

Wow! Not sure how you got that take away, but knock yourself out. If it makes you feel better to think the only reason I'd be pissed as hell that Coyle has no spine, no integrity and no mortality is because of Tracey Claeys, have at it. It might be because his inability to do his job hurts the University of Minnesota and is hurting our current coach. Fleck is a big boy, but we have enough problems without the AD pouring gas on the fire every chance he gets no matter how small or irrelevant the flames are.

And speculation on what would or would not have happened with anyone coaching a year later is as weak-kneed and spineless as Coyle himself.

I'm happy we're going bowling. I'm still concerned that Coyle's failure to do his job and support his coach hurts the University.

As for the rest of your drivel, read the previous posts and you might find out why I mentioned Claeys salary. Just because he was let go, and justifiably so, doesn't mean we should re-write the reality of the situation when he's gone so we can feel better about the piss-poor way our jack wagon of an AD handled himself and the situation.

Sorry, but what I'm reading here is people attacking the media because they don't like what the media is reporting.

Hey, I don't like reading bad news, or negative news about the Gopher programs. But I don't blame the media for reporting it.

Something happened. I don't know what. but something happened. If nothing happened, there would be no story.

In this sense, no news really is good news.

It would be great if every word written about Gopher sports was positive. It would be great - but unrealistic.

In the real world, good things happen, and bad things happen. you have to be able to accept either one.

I'm happy we're going bowling. I'm still concerned that Coyle's failure to do his job and support his coach hurts the University.

What are you even talking about? What has Coyle done to not support his coach?

If you referring to not coming out and holding a press conference on this Strib report as not supporting his coach that would be quite the stretch.

Last edited:

Story says that...

... In December 2016 when Tracy Claeys was the Gophers coach, the university suspended 10 players ahead of the Holiday Bowl in connection with an alleged sexual assault that September. After multiple appeals in 2017, five players had their suspensions overturned, four were expelled and one received a one-year suspension.

Also ...

Any reason for the Star Tribune to mention this is a good reason. Those views keep coming in.

Last edited:

I would argue the university should never release a statement about player health or discipline without their consent.

Student-athletes explicitly waive their rights under HIPAA, otherwise weekly injury reports would be in violation. There are no student-athlete privacy rights concerning discipline, what is disclosed is at the discretion of the individual coaches or athletic department.

Wow! Not sure how you got that take away, but knock yourself out. If it makes you feel better to think the only reason I'd be pissed as hell that Coyle has no spine, no integrity and no mortality is because of Tracey Claeys, have at it. It might be because his inability to do his job hurts the University of Minnesota and is hurting our current coach. Fleck is a big boy, but we have enough problems without the AD pouring gas on the fire every chance he gets no matter how small or irrelevant the flames are.

And speculation on what would or would not have happened with anyone coaching a year later is as weak-kneed and spineless as Coyle himself.

As for the rest of your drivel, read the previous posts and you might find out why I mentioned Claeys salary. Just because he was let go, and justifiably so, doesn't mean we should re-write the reality of the situation when he's gone so we can feel better about the piss-poor way our jack wagon of an AD handled himself and the situation.

Dude, what are you even talking about? Blah blah blah and you don’t even say anything.

No idea how on Earth we got to this point, but it seems odd to take a coach who never once won less than 9 games in a full season as a head coach, and assume he would have only won two games this year.

That's not at all what the definition of hearsay is.
Actually it is.

hear·say [heer-sey]

—noun

unverified, unofficial information gained oracquired from another and not part of one'sdirect knowledge: I pay no attention tohearsay.

an item of idle or unverified information orgossip; rumor: a malicious hearsay.

Story says that: At least six Gophers football players have been disciplined and have not been allowed to practice recently in preparation something that a whole number of people could confirm.

Then it said :The number of players disciplined is said to be between six and eight, several sources said.

Probably means that weren't allowed to practice but they had conflicted information about the other two.

Several Gophers football players disciplined, face possible bowl game suspension

Coach P.J. Fleck and athletic director Mark Coyle did not return messages Tuesday seeking comment.

The alleged team rule violations reported from the sources do not involve assault or violence. Sources cited reasons for the disciplinary action, and the names of some players involved, but since those details have not been confirmed, the Star Tribune is not publishing that information. The number of players disciplined is said to be between six and eight, several sources said.

The Gophers (6-6) qualified for the Quick Lane Bowl by reaching six wins in Fleck’s second year as coach with a 37-15 victory over Wisconsin on Nov. 24. The team rule violations came following that game, Minnesota’s first win over Wisconsin since 2003.

This marks the second time in three years that the Gophers are expected to be without several players for their bowl game because of disciplinary reasons. In December 2016 when Tracy Claeys was the Gophers coach, the university suspended 10 players ahead of the Holiday Bowl in connection with an alleged sexual assault that September. After multiple appeals in 2017, five players had their suspensions overturned, four were expelled and one received a one-year suspension.

Also on Tuesday, the Gophers learned they will be without senior linebacker Blake Cashman, who announced he will skip the bowl game to prepare for the NFL draft.

http://www.startribune.com/several-...face-possible-bowl-game-suspension/502505901/

Yes, I’ve read the story, and none of that contradicts what I said. They don’t know any details, or it would be out there. It’s pretty simple. I’m not saying there wasn’t an incident or incidents or nobody was disciplined, I’m simply saying it doesn’t really make sense to throw out innuendo and rumor without corroborating a story with solid sources. If they had information the story above would not read like that.

Sorry, but what I'm reading here is people attacking the media because they don't like what the media is reporting.

Hey, I don't like reading bad news, or negative news about the Gopher programs. But I don't blame the media for reporting it.

Something happened. I don't know what. but something happened. If nothing happened, there would be no story.

In this sense, no news really is good news.

It would be great if every word written about Gopher sports was positive. It would be great - but unrealistic.

In the real world, good things happen, and bad things happen. you have to be able to accept either one.

I actually have no problem with them reporting something, but there ought to be basic details available. Some number of people did something that might result in some type of punishment doesn’t cut it. One would think gathering some facts from corroborating witnesses is step 1. I know, what if the Pi Press got the story about some type of discipline for some reason to some number of people? Run it!

The press is its own worst enemy right now. Don’t blame people for calling out obvious shortcomings.

I've seen this story in the national media now, running with basically zero evidence of what happened and letting the reader imagine the worst.

If it's true that it doesn't involve violence or sexual matters then based on the number of guys disciplined (and the fact that it doesn't sound like anyone's getting kicked off the team) I'm betting it's weed or booze related. There's also not likely any sort of police involvement or that would be public record by now. Then again, I didn't imagine before that 10 guys could all go down in a single sexual incident either.

PJF probably popped a surprise drug test on the team. Narc. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

This is simply not true. Many, many, many stories have been broken over the years using unnamed sources, including the Watergate story. Investigative journalism would be nearly impossible without using unnamed sources.

Watergate was a break-in and a friend of mine was in a patrol car (being disciplined by the paper, actually) when the police responded. He was Carl Bernstein and the next day he went to Bob Woodward to begin digging deeper, so it was a regular news story at first. Carl and Bob were on the story ever after - two years or whatever and did use the "deep throat" cover for a major source to protect him, but that is very different from this situation. The break-in happened, was logged by police, reported, etc.

Top Bottom