***OFFICIAL wisconsin AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Yes there is.
Who we are competing against for the last few bids means we might get in just by beating Rutgers northwestern and Indiana

Not saying those are locks.

As low at this team is rated by the indexes using points (and tonight's game won't help), I don't think they get in with 19 regular season wins. Indiana or Ohio State might get in with 19 wins. I also can't see this team making any kind of run in the Big Ten tourney.

Your feeler hurt?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why would my feeler be hurt? We got punked by Wisconsin tonight.

That's what I was cheering for, remember?

I cheer against Minnesota, remember!

As low at this team is rated by the indexes using points (and tonight's game won't help), I don't think they get in with 19 regular season wins. Indiana or Ohio State might get in with 19 wins. I also can't see this team making any kind of run in the Big Ten tourney.

Okay.
Who is making it instead? 13-10 butler?

Tonight’s game will barely hurt, actually. The systems projected us to lose by 3 or 4 points and we lost by 5.

It is true that we blew a chance to make a jump, definitely. Another few expected losses and our record may finally match our NET rating.

Well, at least the WBB team won tonight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Why dont we press them speed up the game our 3 point shooting (shooting anything other than a lay up) sucks@

That was an ugly game, having a hard time seeing how we win more than 2 or 3 games the rest of the schedule.

Our best players are freshmen Gabe and Daniel

Just back from the Barn. It was a great effort, they played their tails off and maybe that's a little easier to see and feel in person. We played good defense but we just don't have good enough guard play- at least not consistent. Coffey is a guard, sort of, but outside shooting is not his game. Kalscheur is cold. Washington is not a great shooter and selects the wrong shots. McBrayer, right now you just know the ball is not going in. The last two games we have shot 3- 29 from three point range and you just are not going to win games that way.

I don't know whether they make the tournament or Pitino stays. If they shoot well, they can beat anybody. If he stays he needs to find a way to put better shooting guards on the floor. It seems when the game is on the line the other team makes big shots and we don't. I wonder at times if he should have kept Harris around just as a shooter. Stull is a huge disappointment, he was supposed to be a guy who could fill it up.

One bright spot (beside Murphy who was amazing) is Oturu. He just gets better and better and there is almost no upper limit for him. I have not seen a freshman center play like this at Minnesota since Mychal Thompson. He was really good on both ends. If I was Pitino, I'd be thinking about how to get Oturu a touch in the post every time up court. He catches it, he is efficient and he is starting to develop some moves and some shooting range.

I feel bad for this team tonight- they battled.

There is no reason to feel bad for a team that just missed 12 straight 3s and is 3-29 behind the arc in their last two games.

It only further cements the fact this is a horrible shooting team and the coach has failed in recruiting shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Just back from the Barn. It was a great effort, they played their tails off and maybe that's a little easier to see and feel in person. We played good defense but we just don't have good enough guard play- at least not consistent. Coffey is a guard, sort of, but outside shooting is not his game. Kalscheur is cold. Washington is not a great shooter and selects the wrong shots. McBrayer, right now you just know the ball is not going in. The last two games we have shot 3- 29 from three point range and you just are not going to win games that way.

I don't know whether they make the tournament or Pitino stays. If they shoot well, they can beat anybody. If he stays he needs to find a way to put better shooting guards on the floor. It seems when the game is on the line the other team makes big shots and we don't. I wonder at times if he should have kept Harris around just as a shooter. Stull is a huge disappointment, he was supposed to be a guy who could fill it up.

One bright spot (beside Murphy who was amazing) is Oturu. He just gets better and better and there is almost no upper limit for him. I have not seen a freshman center play like this at Minnesota since Mychal Thompson. He was really good on both ends. If I was Pitino, I'd be thinking about how to get Oturu a touch in the post every time up court. He catches it, he is efficient and he is starting to develop some moves and some shooting range.

Did Pitino run any plays to get open looks?
Did we push the ball up the court and get Coffey a dunk to get him going?
Did we run one out of bounds play that made you say, now that was a nice play?
Did pitino make any adjustments whatsoever?

That was a winnable game

we are losing the coaching battle every single game. its getting old.

That was a winnable game

Wisconsin has won 6 in a row in a streak that includes Michigan and Maryland. During that streak they have held opponents to an average of 54 points. It's the way they play. The Badgers turned the ball over 6 times, you aren't going to get fast breaks when the opposition doesn't turn the ball over. We pushed it off of rebounds, but they got back. It was well done by Wisconsin. Right now, you are mad at Pitino and I get that. Overall, I thought Pitino got them to play hard and other than about 3 or 4 shots I can think of, I thought we had looks at the basket that we could have made and won the game with. If he doesn't win three or four games down the stretch- he'll be gone. I'll watch the games and root for the team and the coach.

That was a winnable game

I just got back from the game. I respectfully disagree with some of your points.
1.) Gophers had many open looks and missed decent shots.
2.) Wisconsin sprinted back on defense (often had 4 players back) and took away our running game. We only had one(?) fastbreak all game on Gabe's steal. I was impressed with the defensive effort of both teams - Oturu did a fantastic job all night.
3.) Out of bounds plays - agree with you there. Not seeing much improvement there. Would like to see an easy basket every now and then.
4.) Adjustments - a.) I thought Wisconsin was a different (better) team with Happ on the floor. Their offense ran through him every possession. I didn't understand why we did not attack him on offense and try to get him in some foul trouble. They looked a very beatable team with Happ off the court.
b.) I thought IW did a good job attacking the lane and drawing defenders. He was the only one creating some sort of offensive opportunites for others. I would like to see him play more with McBrayer struggling a bit. IW is not perfect but adds a dimension to the team that defenses must pay attention to...
c.) Gophers have to set better screens and shooters need to use them better to get open. It frustrates me not to see those cutters sprint through the lane and cut tight around those picks to get those open looks. Against a good defensive team that might be the only way to give your team decent scoring opportunities. That is something that coaches could improve.
d.) I do think the Big Ten is loaded with great coaches. I think Pitino is challenged every night and does a good job. He is still learning and should have a good input from his experienced assistant coaches. The players did not shoot a high percentage tonight and Wisconsin is a good team defensively so I cannot see how it is all Pitino's fault. I would rather the Gophers have some consistency in their coaching tenure rather than turning it over again. Team has been competitive in the majority of the games and I enjoy watching them play. Go Gophers!

Amir was not assertive in this game like he has been. Late in the game we saw glimpses

Amir was not assertive in this game like he has been. Late in the game we saw glimpses

Yeah your right! We need Amir to be agressive from the tip. Last night he started to be assertive with about 3 minutes to go. If you would have told me our frontcourt was gonna go for 28 points and 30 rebounds I would have bet the farm on minnesota. Unfortunately, coffey, mcbrayer, and kalcheur shot 22% between them.

Jealous of Wisconsin's position defense without fouling. We should watch some tape and higher one of their assistants.

I also watched the game. Never, not once did I see either the coaching staff nor the players ever smile. Won’t play well if you are not having fun. Just watch their next game. Count the number f times you anyone on the Gopher team smiling. Body language has a lot to do with winning.

I also watched the game. Never, not once did I see either the coaching staff nor the players ever smile. Won’t play well if you are not having fun. Just watch their next game. Count the number f times you anyone on the Gopher team smiling. Body language has a lot to do with winning.

Bad start and the coaches know their jobs are slipping away from them. Not much to smile about.

Who's in the mood for some sunshine?

The Gophers win this game if they shoot like they normally shoot. Same thing happened to Wisconsin in Madison. That's basketball.

Oturu is our best freshman center since Pryzbilla, and he might be better than Pryzbilla.

The bad news is that we didn't get enough from our non-freshmen - with the exception of Murphy's beast-mode second half, of course. The good news is, THESE FRESHMEN!

Wisconsin has won 6 in a row in a streak that includes Michigan and Maryland. During that streak they have held opponents to an average of 54 points. It's the way they play. The Badgers turned the ball over 6 times, you aren't going to get fast breaks when the opposition doesn't turn the ball over. We pushed it off of rebounds, but they got back. It was well done by Wisconsin. Right now, you are mad at Pitino and I get that. Overall, I thought Pitino got them to play hard and other than about 3 or 4 shots I can think of, I thought we had looks at the basket that we could have made and won the game with. If he doesn't win three or four games down the stretch- he'll be gone. I'll watch the games and root for the team and the coach.

put on a press, I was at the Iowa game, they almost came back by effectively switching defenses, and making our offense think. last I checked, half the game, the ball is in the gophers hands, pace can be changed.

I just got back from the game. I respectfully disagree with some of your points.
1.) Gophers had many open looks and missed decent shots.
2.) Wisconsin sprinted back on defense (often had 4 players back) and took away our running game. We only had one(?) fastbreak all game on Gabe's steal. I was impressed with the defensive effort of both teams - Oturu did a fantastic job all night.
3.) Out of bounds plays - agree with you there. Not seeing much improvement there. Would like to see an easy basket every now and then.
4.) Adjustments - a.) I thought Wisconsin was a different (better) team with Happ on the floor. Their offense ran through him every possession. I didn't understand why we did not attack him on offense and try to get him in some foul trouble. They looked a very beatable team with Happ off the court.
b.) I thought IW did a good job attacking the lane and drawing defenders. He was the only one creating some sort of offensive opportunites for others. I would like to see him play more with McBrayer struggling a bit. IW is not perfect but adds a dimension to the team that defenses must pay attention to...
c.) Gophers have to set better screens and shooters need to use them better to get open. It frustrates me not to see those cutters sprint through the lane and cut tight around those picks to get those open looks. Against a good defensive team that might be the only way to give your team decent scoring opportunities. That is something that coaches could improve.
d.) I do think the Big Ten is loaded with great coaches. I think Pitino is challenged every night and does a good job. He is still learning and should have a good input from his experienced assistant coaches. The players did not shoot a high percentage tonight and Wisconsin is a good team defensively so I cannot see how it is all Pitino's fault. I would rather the Gophers have some consistency in their coaching tenure rather than turning it over again. Team has been competitive in the majority of the games and I enjoy watching them play. Go Gophers!

you should expect more out of a big ten coach, other teams make adjustments, how does pitino just let coffey get shut down like that? he was the key to victory at wisco. run a play get him going left. switching defenses and giving opponents different looks should be mandatory to becoming a big ten coach. I'd love to game plan against pitino. he's running dribble hand offs with a minute to go at the three point line. bunch of slow white guys from wisco can handle that. Others have stated Wiscos MN recruits didnt fit the U of M system. aka they cant run well enought, well there was no running game to speak of last evening. what a worthless coach, program and fans, didnt even have a cup holder at the iowa game in the lower deck

Oturu is having a much better season as a freshman than Przybilla did. Added Humphries for fun.

Oturu:10.7pts, 7.5 rebounds, 58.5% FG on 7.2 shots per game. 1.7 blocks, 64% FT, 58.5% EFG in 22.8 minutes per game.

Przybilla: 6.7pts, 5.8 rebounds, 56% FG on 5 shots per game. 3 blocks, ~58% FT, 59.1% EFG in 25.5 minutes per game.

Humphries: 21.7pts, 10.1 rebounds, 44.4% FG on 17.2 shots per game. 1.1 blocks (.7 assists...), ~74% FT, 46.1% EFG in 34.1 minutes per game.

Oturu is having a much better season as a freshman than Przybilla did. Added Humphries for fun.

Oturu:10.7pts, 7.5 rebounds, 58.5% FG on 7.2 shots per game. 1.7 blocks, 64% FT, 58.5% EFG in 22.8 minutes per game.

Przybilla: 6.7pts, 5.8 rebounds, 56% FG on 5 shots per game. 3 blocks, ~58% FT, 59.1% EFG in 25.5 minutes per game.

Humphries: 21.7pts, 10.1 rebounds, 44.4% FG on 17.2 shots per game. 1.1 blocks (.7 assists...), ~74% FT, 46.1% EFG in 34.1 minutes per game.

I knew it was bad but yikes.

Murphy's: 11.6 pts, 8.0 rebounds, 46.1% FG on 10.2 shots per gam. 1.0 blocks (.7 assists...….)

Murphy has come a long ways in the assist category. He has 62 assists this year alone. He had 51 assists his freshman and sophomore years combined.

Last edited:

Top Bottom