12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seton Hall

Local school in a major conference

#2 seed, Sweet Sixteen, highly respected coach, major conference, beautiful area, beautiful weather, beautiful women, nightlife, etc.

Excellent basketball history, basketball is centerpiece of entire athletic department, huge arena, perhaps the coolest/most fun city in the country, younger head coach from the Tark tree, just produced #1 overall NBA draft pick

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Goodluck Okonoboh, 5* center (by some services) picked UNLV tonight over Ohio State and Indiana. Sheesh. Can't say I like what's going on out there in Las Vegas. I'm not sure if it's because we're just paying more attention to recruiting now (because Pitino is so much more active than Tubby) or whether there's been an uptick in shadiness this year, but it sure seems like some odd stuff is going on. Call me prejudiced, but when schools like Seton Hall, Miami, UNLV etc. are nabbing top prospects with late offers over B1G schools ... I don't like it and I don't trust it.

>>"UNLV started late in its recruitment but made the talented center a priority after the summer circuit."

I've got to believe the new sales pitch of these "mid majors" is look at what happened last year, the #1 pick came out of UNLV. We can showcase your talents a lot more than a Big 10 school which will play a more team atmosphere. They are selling the NBA launch pad as that has to be the only draw. With remarks like "gotta make that money" and all the expectations of being 1 and done, these guys are not looking to win college championships, they want NBA guaranteed money. We need to get some quality 4*s in the coming years to build this program.

My reaction was..."Good!!"

Not me. I want the highest profile players in the country to play in the B1G. I want to be the best basketball conference year in & year out. I want to be to basketball what the SEC is to football. If we want to be the best, we've got to beat the best.

Richard has to take the high road, then. He's got to sell Vaughn on the idea that he can be above this, that Rashad is better than to get mixed up in this shadiness. Appeal to his self esteem and sense of self worth.

I don't see Vaughn as a Vegas kind of guy. He's low key, a homer. He's the guy (of the Big-3) I thought we had the best chance with since the get-go & I still feel that way now. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us end up with Vaughn, Josh Martin & Nate Mason.

I've got to believe the new sales pitch of these "mid majors" is look at what happened last year, the #1 pick came out of UNLV. We can showcase your talents a lot more than a Big 10 school which will play a more team atmosphere. They are selling the NBA launch pad as that has to be the only draw. With remarks like "gotta make that money" and all the expectations of being 1 and done, these guys are not looking to win college championships, they want NBA guaranteed money. We need to get some quality 4*s in the coming years to build this program.

UNLV also has one of the top recruiting classes for 2014, add Vaughn and they would be a top five class for sure.

Not me. I want the highest profile players in the country to play in the B1G. I want to be the best basketball conference year in & year out. I want to be to basketball what the SEC is to football. If we want to be the best, we've got to beat the best.

Once we are loaded up on talent, the rest of the conference can too. I just want to win games as that is what is best for the Gophers.

How often is UNLV on national TV at a reasonable time? Teams out west just don't get seen as much, that's the argument the PAC-12 has used for a while now when they feel their teams are underrated. I'm not sure if that matters to Vaughn, but I feel like Minnesota is his best option to be "the man" while still getting national exposure.

Excellent basketball history, basketball is centerpiece of entire athletic department, huge arena, perhaps the coolest/most fun city in the country, younger head coach from the Tark tree, just produced #1 overall NBA draft pick

What fun can an 18 year old have in Vegas? ;)

Once we are loaded up on talent, the rest of the conference can too. I just want to win games as that is what is best for the Gophers.

I want to win as much as you, but we disagree on the best approach. I don't want to win cheap, meaningless games against ho-hum players just to say we're winning. I can watch St Thomas destroy the MIAC if I wanted that. I want to watch the best players & teams in the country come into Barn & BEAT THEM! I will always root for top notch players to sign with a B1G team over UNC, Kentucky, Kansas et al.

How often is UNLV on national TV at a reasonable time? Teams out west just don't get seen as much, that's the argument the PAC-12 has used for a while now when they feel their teams are underrated. I'm not sure if that matters to Vaughn, but I feel like Minnesota is his best option to be "the man" while still getting national exposure.

But the purpose of being the man is to be a high draft choice...

I want to win as much as you, but we disagree on the best approach. I don't want to win cheap, meaningless games against ho-hum players just to say we're winning. I can watch St Thomas destroy the MIAC if I wanted that. I want to watch the best players & teams in the country come into Barn & BEAT THEM! I will always root for top notch players to sign with a B1G team over UNC, Kentucky, Kansas et al.

Fine...but I don't think B1G rosters will ever be full of just ho-hummers.

Local school in a major conference

#2 seed, Sweet Sixteen, highly respected coach, major conference, beautiful area, beautiful weather, beautiful women, nightlife, etc.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

People don't actually believe this, do they?

People don't actually believe this, do they?

Gambling,hookers, games on at midnight in your hometown,much smaller crowds than you see in the Big Ten but of course no salary cap for players.

Yet he chose to go to Vegas for his last year of high school????

I see this as more fallout from the "AAU culture" taking over high school basketball. The AAU system (IMHO) promotes the individual over the team, and fosters an attitude of "play for the scouts - put up big numbers - make yourself a star."

That is all well and good if the only thing you care about is landing a D1 scholarship, or trending on twitter. But, (IMHO) it hurts the HS game - it makes kids less interested in team play, or playing tough defense. The AAU culture reduces everying to a "Sportscenter" mentality - just show me the highlights, and the splashier, the better.

Gambling,hookers, games on at midnight in your hometown,much smaller crowds than you see in the Big Ten but of course no salary cap for players.

So based on your criteria, 3 good, 2 bad. Vegas wins.

No, no one does. Must be why just under 40 million people visited last year.

If Rashad assesses the "coolness" of a city by how many rubes arrive on an annual basis to watch such hip and happening acts as Carrot Top and Wayne Newton, then the only thing the U can do to compete is open up a campus in Hinckley.

With remarks like "gotta make that money" and all the expectations of being 1 and done, these guys are not looking to win college championships, they want NBA guaranteed money. .

That is true, what's with all the "gotta eat" remarks on twitter this year.

If Rashad assesses the "coolness" of a city by how many rubes arrive on an annual basis to watch such hip and happening acts as Carrot Top and Wayne Newton, then the only thing the U can do to compete is open up a campus in Hinckley.

Hah,so true

Not true at all, we just win this one outright: Over 40 Million visit the Mall of America Annually.

Looks like we're way cool. We got a suburb doing better than Vegas. We'll get Siegfried out at mystic and Gallagher can take the Myth. How could we lose?

Not true at all, we just win this one outright: Over 40 Million visit the Mall of America Annually.

Looks like we're way cool. We got a suburb doing better than Vegas. We'll get Siegfried out at mystic and Gallagher can take the Myth. How could we lose?

hahah. Yes!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Carolina pledges Justin Jackson, Theo Pinson are in Rashad Vaughn's ear <a href="http://t.co/XnjaxxATKt">http://t.co/XnjaxxATKt</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/387218402785251328">October 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ZagsBlog: Rashad Vaughn Has 3 Visits Set, Working on 2 Others

Rashad Vaughn has three official visits set and is working on determining the other two.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Henderson (NV) Findlay Prep has visits set to Baylor (Oct. 18), Iowa State (Nov. 8) and UNLV (Nov. 25). He is also considering taking officials to Kansas, Arizona and North Carolina. Minnesota is the seventh school on his list, and Vaughn has already been there unofficially.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/rashad-vaughn-has-3-visits-set-working-on-2-others/

Go Gophers!!

Vaughn's Findlay teammate, Kelly Oubre, is expected to choose Kansas today. Oubre is one of the top SG's in the country (like Vaughn) and I can't see them picking the same school. I don't think Kansas will be in the mix anymore.

Vaughn's Findlay teammate, Kelly Oubre, is expected to choose Kansas today. Oubre is one of the top SG's in the country (like Vaughn) and I can't see them picking the same school. I don't think Kansas will be in the mix anymore.

If UNC is still in the mix with their wing commits, I'm sure Kansas will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom