All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

*Jones is one of ESPN's 4 most impressive players so far from the Under-Armour All-America practices in Florida.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=49724
"RB Jeff Jones (Minneapolis, Minn./Washburn): As a late addition to the Under Armour Game, we were excited to have Jones join the roster. He has impressed with size, speed, strength and overall versatility. In fact he was so new that his practice jersey did not have a number on Day 1, but everyone and their brother was asking, "Who is that kid?" due to the fact that he stood out with his play. The Minnesota commit is unlike anything the Gophers have on offense right now and is a blend of power and speed inside and out."

I almost hate reading stuff like this, it makes me feel like he is going to end up elsewhere.

I almost hate reading stuff like this, it makes me feel like he is going to end up elsewhere.

You do? Do you hate seeing josh Martin dropping 20+ grabbing 10+ everynight? I love seeing things like this as it makes me feel that much better about our current recruit

Funny how Jones had around 20-30 touchdowns this year and no one notices and then goes to a practice and everyone is finally noticing him.

Nope, Connor is in the Army All-American game, Jones is in the Under-Armour All-American game. Army is lower-profile.

I thought the Army AA game was higher profile. It's been around a lot longer. 40k attended the game last year and it's on NBC.

+1
I still sense he is heavily leaning towards the Gophers.

If you've been reading his interviews, it would be hard to conclude he's leaning towards the Gophers. It seems to me a more logical conclusion would be that Mr. Jones is trying very hard to find a school to attend other than Minnesota. He has too many doubts about the Gophers and Jerry Kill. Jeff Jones is history. The writing is on the wall. Other than the fact he initially commited to us, this will play out just like Tyus, Reid and Rashad. The chances of keeping MN high school kids with high national rankings (say top 50) in FB and BB are perhaps 1 in 10. I would be willing to bet $500.00 Jeff Jones goes elsewhere.

If you've been reading his interviews, it would be hard to conclude he's leaning towards the Gophers. It seems to me a more logical conclusion would be that Mr. Jones is trying very hard to find a school to attend other than Minnesota. He has too many doubts about the Gophers and Jerry Kill. Jeff Jones is history. The writing is on the wall. Other than the fact he initially commited to us, this will play out just like Tyus, Reid and Rashad. The chances of keeping MN high school kids with high national rankings (say top 50) in FB and BB are perhaps 1 in 10. I would be willing to bet $500.00 Jeff Jones goes elsewhere.

The thing about Jones is he's very loyal. He had multiple chances to go to high profile High Schools. He chose to stay. I think he's a Gopher when it's all said and done.

If you're giving 10:1 odds, I'll gladly put up $50 against your $500 that he's signing here.

I'd wait on that bet DPO,

RB Jeff Jones has set an official to Florida for January 24.

Tom VanHaarenVerified account ‏@TomVH 59m RB Jeff Jones has set an official to Florida for January 24. #UAALLAMERICA

I'd wait on that bet DPO,

RB Jeff Jones has set an official to Florida for January 24.

Tom VanHaarenVerified account ‏@TomVH 59m RB Jeff Jones has set an official to Florida for January 24. #UAALLAMERICA

The same Florida that went 5-7 this year, including a loss to Georgia Southern? Muschamp will be gone this time next year.

jeff definitely does sound like an MN lean in his interview, "if i had to chose a college right now yeah, it would definitely be Minnesota" i think he wants and is trying to take official visits to other places but he is doing that just because, i don't think that has very much implication on his decision, i firmly believe he will be a gopher

from a few days ago

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hedlund95">@hedlund95</a> still weighing his options. Still firmly believe he ends up a Gopher though.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/414148655054995456">December 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Top247&src=hash">#Top247</a> 4-star RB Jeff Jones has <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Florida&src=hash">#Florida</a> working on setting up a visit with him. More here <a href="http://t.co/JmzDVGXKSk">http://t.co/JmzDVGXKSk</a></p>— Kyle Goblirsch (@Gobie247) <a href="https://twitter.com/Gobie247/statuses/417689766058926080">December 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is the fact that he's taking other officials a sign he's looking for a school besides Minnesota? Maybe. Or, it could be a great way for a kid to get some all expenses paid trips to warm weather places or just see more of the country. Would I rather he just say he's firm on the Gophers, sure. But, can't blame the kid for going on visits and looking. I wouldn't say that necessarily means he has "doubts" about the coaches.

The same Florida that went 5-7 this year, including a loss to Georgia Southern? Muschamp will be gone this time next year.

$EC money will find it's way to Mr. Levi Bradley if Jones commits there.
Book it. Crooked as all H.

Is the fact that he's taking other officials a sign he's looking for a school besides Minnesota? Maybe. Or, it could be a great way for a kid to get some all expenses paid trips to warm weather places or just see more of the country. Would I rather he just say he's firm on the Gophers, sure. But, can't blame the kid for going on visits and looking. I wouldn't say that necessarily means he has "doubts" about the coaches.

Exactly, he is taking more officials just because

I'm sure Florida will look very appealing while Jones is down there but I still feel confident he'll be here when it's all said and done

Keep an eye on Dalvin Cook in a few days. He's a 5-star RB that's been committed to Florida for a while but is more like a soft commit right now. He's expected to announce on TV on January 2nd where he's going, could be Florida, Florida St., or Miami. Hopefully Jones is just a backup plan for Florida in case Cook goes elsewhere. Cook staying at Florida may certainly help.

1. first of all, i wouldn't make things up;
2. he clearly stated he was concerned with Jerry Kill's health;
3. he clearly stated he wants to play for a winning program; he recognizes the progress made by MN this year but has distinct memories of lots of losing by the Gophers while growing up;
4. he's visited Iowa State and wants to see Michigan State and Missouri in January which aren't warm weather climates; this isn't about taking "fun" trips to the sunshine states;
5. he stated he plans to wait until signing day Feb 5 to announce. I get the feeling he's waiting for more offers to roll in; the longer he waits, the more interest he's getting, especially because of the All-Star game he's in. when asked if he wanted to use all 4 remaining visits, he stated "I'm trying to find another school" to visit;
6. believe me when I say I really hope I'm wrong. If you read the transcripts of his interviews, however, they don't sound like a young man pumped up to play for the Minnesota Golden Gophers (although as one poster mentioned, he did clearly say that if he had to make a decision today (which was prior to him making other visits) he would chose Minnesota;
7. here is his number one stated criteria: Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that is going to make you decide that this is where I want to be? Jeff Jones: The relationship between the coaches and what if I don't make it to the next level, after college, who is going to have my best interest.
As I view it, he's looking to see if there are coaching staffs out there with whom he feels more comfortable than Minnesota's.

8. Finally, it was the following statement that really told me he's not truly sold on Minnesota: Gopher Hole: I know that a lot of Gopher fans would love to see you for the hometown team. What would it mean to you to play for the Gophers? Jeff Jones: It would mean a lot, if that is the school that I pick, just because I was born and raised here. If not, so be it. It will be a good opportunity.

To me, that last statement reminded me of something Tyus Jones, Reid Travis and Rashad Vaughn all said. To paraphrase: "If I play for Minnesota, it would mean a lot because that's the home town team, my family could see me play and I grew up a Gopher fan. But, if I don't get into Minnesota, or if I find a coaching staff and program I like better, it would be just fine to play somewhere else."

I'm thinking Mr. Bradley will see to it that Jones is not a Gopher. I don't believe for a second that Jones will play for the Gophers. With that being said, I want Jones to prove me wrong.

Top Bottom