2017 Gopher Baseball Season Thread

Need the next 2 to clinch the B1G regular season Championship.
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Most lethargic effort of the year by the Gophers? Pretty much gift wrapped the win for the Boilers.

Most lethargic effort of the year by the Gophers? Pretty much gift wrapped the win for the Boilers.

Hard to believe that effort happened at this time of the year. Thank goodness the other conference leaders had a similar effort.

Another lackadaisical game from the Gophers. Lot of give away weak at bats, some misplays in the field, and just stuff you haven't seen from this team all year through the first 2 games of this series. Few hard hit balls right at Purdue that could have turned into a big inning early added to the frustration but just not very good baseball the last 2 games for the Gophers. Need to win game 3 tonight just to get some confidence back and play well. I'm also at the point where I don't really care who we play in that first game or where we are seeded. Yeah there is a gap between the top 6 and what will probably be Northwestern and Purdue but Lucas Gilbreath is one of the top starters in the B1G and will be coming off a uncharacteristic start so I'd expect him to be at his best and when he is there is no other pitcher in the B1G I would take over him. Despite Brett Schulze struggling today I feel pretty comfortable with him as the #2 based on the way he had pitched the last few weeks. Looked like both Gilbreath and Schulze just didn't have a good feel for any of their pitches and they wouldn't say it but I wonder if weather played a role in that. Gophers also still have one of the top offenses in the B1G and could be getting better if Alex Boxwell is healthy enough to DH during the tournament. Bullpen has 4-5 veteran reliable arms and you put all that together and this is a team capable of making a run to win the B1G Championship which is what they will need to do.

Did not realize they had already played today and was feeling good watching game three with the sound off. Gagged away a chance for the title. Hopefully Nebraska chokes tomorrow.

Reggie Meyer hit the leadoff batter and walked the 2nd hitter and both those guys would score on a single to give Purdue a quick 2-0 lead after 1 but that is all Purdue would get. Meyer went 5 innings allowing 2 runs on 1 hit while hitting a batter, walking 2, and striking out 3. Toby Anderson and Brian Glowicki were both very solid in relief each going 2 innings and not allowing a hit or walk while striking out 3 each. Gophers had a big 4th inning after threatening the first few innings but leaving guys on they would score 6 in the 4th. They followed that up with 2 runs in the 5th and 1 more in the 6th. Luke Pettersen had a 3-3 game and scored 2 runs, Eddie Estrada had 2 hits and drove in 4 runs. Gophers now get some time to rest and reset a little bit after the very tough grind of 5 games in 4 days and 8 games in 8 days. I'm sure there were a lot of empty tanks mentally and physically from the players to the coaching staff at the end of the game today. Terrin Vavra did not play in game 3 I know he has had some back issues at times this year so kind of wonder if it was just precautionary and not wanting him to have to play 20 innings in one day with it. I believe the Gophers can still be either the 1,2, or 3 seed. If Nebraska and Michigan both win the Gophers will be the 3 seed. If 1 of the 2 win the Gophers will be the 2 seed and if they both lose the Gophers will be the 1 seed.

I will say it again, don't want the 3 seed, would have to face Indiana in game one.

Nebraska beats Penn State 21-3 to win the B1G Championship. Michigan beat Michigan State 2-1 in 10 innings to claim the #2 seed. Really thought Michigan State was gonna help us out with the win as they lead 1-0 most of the game. Michigan got a leadoff single that probably should have been caught by the RF, a sac bunt, stole 3rd and the catcher didn't throw when he should've been able to get the guy fairly easily, and then a groundout to 1st with the infield in but the 1st baseman bobbled the ball about 3 times so the runner was able to score to tie it. Michigan State still had a great chance for walkoff win with the bases loaded and nobody out in the bottom of the 9th but somehow couldn't score a run. Michigan got 3 straight 2 out singles to score what would be the winning run in the 9th. Kind of wanted Michigan in the opposite bracket of us as well but it is what it is need to find a way to put together a little winning streak to extend the season starting at 9 a.m. Wednesday against Indiana.

Does anyone know how bad Nolan Burchill arm injury is? Does he need surgery? Is he going to be back next year? He would be a huge loss for next year if he needs that time to recover.

Does anyone know how bad Nolan Burchill arm injury is? Does he need surgery? Is he going to be back next year? He would be a huge loss for next year if he needs that time to recover.
Not sure exactly what the injury or the extent of it is but I've seen him in the dugout with one of those full arm braces you often see on after surgery.

If both teams keep their rotation the same we will see Jonathan Stiever for Indiana and Lucas Gilbreath for the Gophers. They met earlier this year at Indiana and the Gophers won that game 11-0. Stiever lasted 4.1 innings and gave up 7 runs on 13 hits while striking out 3. Gilbreath went 7.2 innings and allowed just 2 hits while walking 1 and striking out 8 though he did hit 4 Indiana batters. The Gophers offense did have a pretty succesful 3 game series at Indiana earlier this year tallying 23 runs, 45 hits, and 6 homeruns so hopefully that carries over to the B1G Tournament.

Nolan has not had surgery at this point. He is shut down for 6 weeks and then will see how the arm reacts to throwing. Does not look good at this point but they will know more mid-June. If Burchill were to need surgery, he would probably be out for the 2018 season. Too bad because he was showing promise as a mid-week starter.

I hope they can make a run. I want anybody but Neb. to win the tourney.

Gophers have to tough road in the Big Ten tourney. They play Indiana first round then Michigan in the second. I'm not expecting us to do anything special in the Big Ten tournament. This has been a good year (not a great year), but I just think things are finally going to come together this year.

Prediction - Gophers win the Big Ten tournament and the NCAA regional. They will advance to the Super regional for the first time in John Anderson's career.

Gophers have to tough road in the Big Ten tourney. They play Indiana first round then Michigan in the second. I'm not expecting us to do anything special in the Big Ten tournament. This has been a good year (not a great year), but I just think things are finally going to come together this year.

Prediction - Gophers win the Big Ten tournament and the NCAA regional. They will advance to the Super regional for the first time in John Anderson's career.

This year or 2018?

I'd peg the Gophers as 1 of 3 teams with minimal to no chance of winning the Big Ten Tournament. Not enough quality arms. Also Northwestern and Purdue.

This year or 2018?

I'd peg the Gophers as 1 of 3 teams with minimal to no chance of winning the Big Ten Tournament. Not enough quality arms. Also Northwestern and Purdue.
Gophers have enough quality arms to make a run and win the tournament if they pitch the way they can. Gilbreath is very good fully expect him to beat Indiana tomorrow. Schulze struggled last weekend but had been very good in his last couple starts before that including one against top 15 Long Beach State. Meyer is a decent 3 and pitched well against Purdue last weekend. Won't strike out a bunch but good movement on his pitches when he is on and lots of weak contact. Anderson had his best week of the year with 2 very good outings against Rutgers and Purdue last weekend. Hanson, Shannon, and Glowicki out of the bullpen have been reliable all year and will be counted on again this week. I'd put the Gophers pitching staff in the top 4 of the 8 teams. Maryland and Michigan at the top then the Gophers and Nebraska right there as 3/4. Indiana, Iowa, and Purdue would be the next tier and Northwestern would round out my list.

This year or 2018?

I have to agree with SS on this one. The staff struggled down the stretch and against the better teams in the league.

Well we survived a shaky game 5-4. Good win to stay in the winners bracket. Let's hope for some Wildcat luck against Michigan.

I have to agree with SS on this one. The staff struggled down the stretch and against the better teams in the league.

I agree. Need some lucky breaks. I would love it if they could knock out Michigan.

Forgive me for posting some non Gopher stuff, but my undergrad alma mater, Oregon State, has quietly put together a historic CBB season. Currently 45-4 with a chance to eclipse the all time single season CBB winning percentage set by Arizona State. They have done this with below average power numbers. It has been a run of fundamental baseball perfection highlighted by off the charts pitching.
The staff ERA is 1.90 with the the Friday starter at 0.76 (not a misprint) and the Sun. starter at 1.01.
They got shafted out of the NCAA's last year and they have been on a mission. For all the jokes here about culture with Fleck, Pat Casey has built a culture with his pitchers that is if you walk people you don't pitch. They throws strikes and trust their D to make plays.
An article from a PAC 12 blog. Go Rodents!
http://www.pacifictakes.com/2017/5/...he-greatness-of-oregon-state-baseball-in-2017

Solid win especially with a little bit of an off start from Gilbreath again. He battled but just didn't have the type of command he has had most of the season. Manke and Glowicki were both lights out out of the bullpen. With Glowicki picking up another save he set the single season record passing Scott Matyas. Offensively got better as the game went on. The 2 out single and 2 run homerun from Pettersen and Kozicky in the 5th were huge to get some momentum back in the game. Northwestern pulled off the upset this afternoon against Michigan 6-4 so it will be the Gophers and Wildcats tomorrow around 4.

Solid win especially with a little bit of an off start from Gilbreath again. He battled but just didn't have the type of command he has had most of the season. Manke and Glowicki were both lights out out of the bullpen. With Glowicki picking up another save he set the single season record passing Scott Matyas. Offensively got better as the game went on. The 2 out single and 2 run homerun from Pettersen and Kozicky in the 5th were huge to get some momentum back in the game. Northwestern pulled off the upset this afternoon against Michigan 6-4 so it will be the Gophers and Wildcats tomorrow around 4.

I gave up watching that game at 5-4 Michigan heading into the bottom if the 8th. Nice win for Northwestern...

How did we lose the series to Purdue? Their pitching looks terrible.

Nebraska beat Purdue 15-9 and looks like they won't play the Maryland-Iowa game tonight must be heavier rain coming otherwise it doesn't make much sense because they could've got started by 9:15 or so. Schedule tomorrow has been changed to.
9:00 Loser Out #2 Michigan vs #6 Indiana
12:30 First Round #4 Maryland vs #5 Iowa
4:00 Loser Out #8 Purdue vs Maryland/Iowa loser
7:30 Winners Bracket#3 Gophers vs #7 Northwestern

I agree. Need some lucky breaks. I would love it if they could knock out Michigan.

Forgive me for posting some non Gopher stuff, but my undergrad alma mater, Oregon State, has quietly put together a historic CBB season. Currently 45-4 with a chance to eclipse the all time single season CBB winning percentage set by Arizona State. They have done this with below average power numbers. It has been a run of fundamental baseball perfection highlighted by off the charts pitching.
The staff ERA is 1.90 with the the Friday starter at 0.76 (not a misprint) and the Sun. starter at 1.01.
They got shafted out of the NCAA's last year and they have been on a mission. For all the jokes here about culture with Fleck, Pat Casey has built a culture with his pitchers that is if you walk people you don't pitch. They throws strikes and trust their D to make plays.
An article from a PAC 12 blog. Go Rodents!
http://www.pacifictakes.com/2017/5/...he-greatness-of-oregon-state-baseball-in-2017

4 losses is too many to host a regional, better hope the baseball committee isn't similar to the softball committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 losses is too many to host a regional, better hope the baseball committee isn't similar to the softball committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be honest, four losses and not in the $ec

Are we playing tonight? Does anyone know?

Top Bottom