Richard Pitino Show

MennoSota

Reaction score
"We didn't prepare for zone" (against Northwestern).

How in the h3ll do you not prepare for zone against any team when you have no shooters and no bigs...especially when you are playing Northwestern?

I had a hard time listening to the rest of the show after he made that comment.
Show of hands...who here thought Northwestern would play man against our team???

How in the h3ll do you not prepare for zone against any team when you have no shooters and no bigs...especially when you are playing Northwestern?

Show of hands...who here thought Northwestern would play man against our team???

Of course they would. That's coaching malpractice.

How much zone had Northwestern played this season coming into last night, specifically the matchup zone they used last night? The answer is very little at all. They showed a little zone in a couple of blowout losses but it was more straight 2-3 than the matchup zone we saw yesterday.

Zone schmone. Did they prepare for the Princeton Offense:confused:

How much zone had Northwestern played this season coming into last night, specifically the matchup zone they used last night? The answer is very little at all. They showed a little zone in a couple of blowout losses but it was more straight 2-3 than the matchup zone we saw yesterday.
Anyone looking at our personale and seeing the weaknesses will play zone if they don't just physically out match us at nearly every position. It was a no brainer that the Cats would go zone and force the Gophers to beat them with off ball cuts and catch and shoot 3s. It's hard to imagine Pitino couldn't see it coming. (I like Pitino, but that statement of his stumps me.)

Wasn't that long ago Gopher Holers were praising Pitino for his coaching and his recruiting. Since we've lost two major contributors this week and one before (Curry) the season started the same people are now bashing him. Washington is learning, Hurt is learning to play more etc. Things will get better eventually but not to the point of our expectations before the season started however due to the circumstances.

Wasn't that long ago Gopher Holers were praising Pitino for his coaching and his recruiting. Since we've lost two major contributors this week and one before (Curry) the season started the same people are now bashing him. Washington is learning, Hurt is learning to play more etc. Things will get better eventually but not to the point of our expectations before the season started however due to the circumstances.

I'm just questioning how no one thought to prepare for a zone.
Other than that, I trust that the young pups will work hard to improve and that will be beneficial for next season.
But...how in the h3ll do you not see a zone defense coming?

Go watch the replay of the show. He said they never prepared for the zone.

I agree with you. However he was frustrated I'm sure and words aren't going to come out exactly smooth at times. Lets give him a pass.

Go watch the replay of the show. He said they never prepared for the zone.

You have limited practice time, so you prepare for what you see on video.

Northwestern this year is a man-to-man team. You prepare for that, and how they did their rotations, etc.

What percentage of possessions did we force a contested shot or have a shot clock violation each half?. I saw quite a few good looks in the first half but nobody was knocking them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo

The season is at the halfway point, shouldn't matter if you didn't prep for zone. This game wasn't about prepping for a zone defense...and if it was, then the team should know how to attack a zone by now. It's not like we were embarassed by a zone in the NCAA Tourney last year or something.

Yeah, the folks that did that (praising Pitino) were wrong. It was premature. No doubt he's a good recruiter, otherwise he hasn't proven himself as a coach. This is his 5th year and at some point he has to be responsible for his record as coach. Next year is huge for coach, he has a lot to prove.

Yeah, the folks that did that (praising Pitino) were wrong. It was premature. No doubt he's a good recruiter, otherwise he hasn't proven himself as a coach. This is his 5th year and at some point he has to be responsible for his record as coach. Next year is huge for coach, he has a lot to prove.
His sixth year better show marked improvement, if he gets one. Otherwise, there is going to be a sh!tstorm of negativity on GH.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree because there's never any negativity on gopherhole lol

This program last two years has had a bunch of momentum going forward and it still does but we've had some misfortune last two weeks and now everyone thinks pitino needs to go. The reason weve gotten to making tourney and expecting to make it this year is pitinos building of the roster. Its not perfect but hes done a pretty good job building roster last 3 years. We're not duke, but many people on here think because we've lost basically two all big ten players plus curry that we should still be winning. Not gonna happen. Right now I hope were still competitive but not sure how many we will win rest of way. That's the reality. I hate the fact that that's the truth because I was looking forward to seeing what our seed would be and possibly winning a couple games in tourney but that's not gonna happen now.

This program last two years has had a bunch of momentum going forward and it still does but we've had some misfortune last two weeks and now everyone thinks pitino needs to go. The reason weve gotten to making tourney and expecting to make it this year is pitinos building of the roster. Its not perfect but hes done a pretty good job building roster last 3 years. We're not duke, but many people on here think because we've lost basically two all big ten players plus curry that we should still be winning. Not gonna happen. Right now I hope were still competitive but not sure how many we will win rest of way. That's the reality. I hate the fact that that's the truth because I was looking forward to seeing what our seed would be and possibly winning a couple games in tourney but that's not gonna happen now.

So what if the team is not competitive the rest of the way? What will you say then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well besides being named btn coach of the year and having multiple all big ten players, winning a nit championship, improving every year as the year goes on, no he hasn’t proven anything.....

Wrong, his 2nd and 3rd season(worst in the history of the program) the team did not get better. So this will make 3 out of 5 seasons the team did not. And if you are touting nit championships you and I have vastly different ideas of success. After this dumpster fire is over his conference winning percentage will be in the low .300s. He is 27-50 in conference and counting.

And to further the point his 2nd season ended 4-6 no postseason appearance.
3rd season 2-8 obviously no postseason appearance.

Well besides being named btn coach of the year and having multiple all big ten players, winning a nit championship, improving every year as the year goes on, no he hasn’t proven anything.....

People are being hasty ripping Pitino just as bad as they were being hasty crowning this as a Final Four team. So let's pump the brakes a little and see how this plays out. That said, one thing you can say for sure: in his career so far, he's followed up successful seasons with disappointing seasons. He's had a hard time carrying momentum forward into the next year. Even within seasons or within games, his teams have often had trouble handling success. As a young coach, these are things he needs to recognize and address in his way of doing things.

He's got both humility and arrogance in him, and they come out in different ways and at different times. When he's succeeded, it's been a product of his humility. When he's failed, it's been borne of his arrogance.

I said I HOPE were competitive. I also hope we battle and play hard but we've lost 3 of our top 6 guys. Can't win in big ten with a depleted roster. I really don't expect to win many more games with this roster. Take anyone outside of the blue bloods and take 3 of their top 6 guys away and tell me how competitive they will be. I hope I'm wrong.

Wrong, his 2nd and 3rd season(worst in the history of the program) the team did not get better. So this will make 3 out of 5 seasons the team did not. And if you are touting nit championships you and I have vastly different ideas of success. After this dumpster fire is over his conference winning percentage will be in the low .300s. He is 27-50 in conference and counting.

And to further the point his 2nd season ended 4-6 no postseason appearance.
3rd season 2-8 obviously no postseason appearance.

It must be great to look at the glass half empty all the time. Not one mention of anything positive in your post. Last year was a success. He was BTN coach of the year. We had multiples awards to players with expectations high this year. He has continued to figure things out and optimism for the future is bright - I see him figuring out how to go forward in the future. (Some of his mistakes will be off the books next year.) recruiting has also improved. Bad luck this year has curtailed a team that would be better than lasts.

It must be great to look at the glass half empty all the time. Not one mention of anything positive in your post. Last year was a success. He was BTN coach of the year. We had multiples awards to players with expectations high this year. He has continued to figure things out and optimism for the future is bright - I see him figuring out how to go forward in the future. (Some of his mistakes will be off the books next year.) recruiting has also improved. Bad luck this year has curtailed a team that would be better than lasts.

How many Big Ten teams want their 5th year coach to be 'figuring things out'? Pitino has another season to show he can get it done, but lets be honest here, it's an open question. Two years ago it was a nightmare. Hopefully this year doesn't descend to that level. I wonder what Teague is up to?

Ok keep smelling all the roses and daisies. You stated something that simply is not true his teams don’t always get better. Now 27-51 and counting. Keep your head in the sand he is in way over his head. His one good season is the outlier not the norm. The way things are progressing they will not even be good enough to make the nit 3 out of 5 years.

+1
3 of our top 6 out, Fitz, Jelly, Hurt, and Harris to a degree short of expected/hoped for impact, Our program is not deep enough to absorb that much. Not many are, but I believe we are heading in the right direction. I also believe continuity with our coach is the right move for a few more years. Unfortunately so many want to over analyze every step in the process.

I get it, it’s a message board. Have at it. It’s cool [emoji41] - we can disagree like adults.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He wouldn't have to be figuring things out if we didn't lose lynch and Coffey! Why do people think that we can just lose those guys and we should still be as good as a ranked team?

Top Bottom