Rankings after this week

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
After today, do the Gophers receive enough votes to be in the top 25? Not many undefeated’s left in the league, and we’re averaging well over 30 points a game. Even with that late comeback push Purdue made, we dominated Purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rankings in September don't matter.

That said, we're far enough out of the top 25 that I don't think we will make it in this week, but we should be closer. What most pollsters will know is that we beat a struggling team without their 6 best players for the majority of the game by 7. Yes our O put up passing yards and points. We were better in the run game today, but still not good. We gave up an enormous number of yards on defense, and let them back into a game we had well in hand.

Not the stuff that catapults a team barely receiving votes into the top 25, but I haven't paid attention to what the ranked teams did today. If enough of them lost, we might squeak in.

Not worthy yet for votes. If we keep rolling for Penn State we may crack it. Penn State is going to be a huge test for us. Did I say HUGE?

Nope. Our 4th quarter will shy the voters away.

Rankings in September don't matter.

That said, we're far enough out of the top 25 that I don't think we will make it in this week, but we should be closer. What most pollsters will know is that we beat a struggling team without their 6 best players for the majority of the game by 7. Yes our O put up passing yards and points. We were better in the run game today, but still not good. We gave up an enormous number of yards on defense, and let them back into a game we had well in hand.

Not the stuff that catapults a team barely receiving votes into the top 25, but I haven't paid attention to what the ranked teams did today. If enough of them lost, we might squeak in.

#18 Virginia lost, #21 USC lost, #15 Cal lost, #24 Kansas State losing 13-0

The Gophers have not played like a top 25 team and don't belong in the top 25 yet.

The Gophers have not played like a top 25 team and don't belong in the top 25 yet.

Michigan hasn’t looked very Top 25-like either, but there they are at #20.

Hope they stay out for a while. Seems like whenever a Gophers football/b-ball team gets ranked, they lose.

Hope they stay out for a while. Seems like whenever a Gophers football/b-ball team gets ranked, they lose.

Those were Mason and Kill Gopher teams that lost when ranked. Fleck Gophers are a very different breed it appears

Being ranked helps for recruiting, tickets sales and attendance and local and national media exposure. Having a number next to your name just generates more interest and buzz for the program.

Being ranked helps for recruiting, tickets sales and attendance and local and national media exposure. Having a number next to your name just generates more interest and buzz for the program.

Agreed. I’d rather be ranked than not

No. 1 Clemson 21, North Carolina 20
No. 2 Alabama 59, Ole Miss 31
No. 3 Georgia: Off
No. 4 LSU: Off
No. 5 Ohio State at Nebraska | 7:30 p.m. | ABC
No. 6 Oklahoma 55, Texas Tech 16
No. 7 Auburn vs. Mississippi State | 7 p.m. | ESPN
No. 8 Wisconsin 24, Northwestern 15
No. 9 Florida 38, Towson 0
No. 10 Notre Dame 35, vs. 18 Virginia 20
No. 11 Texas: Off
No. 12 Penn State 59, Maryland 0
No. 13 Oregon
No. 14 Iowa 48, Middle Tennessee 3
Arizona State 24, No. 15 California 17
No. 16 Boise State
No. 17 Washington 28, No. 21 Southern California 14
No. 19 Utah vs. Washington State | 10 p.m. | FS1
No. 20 Michigan 52, Rutgers 0
No. 22 UCF vs. UConn | 7 p.m. | ESPN2
No. 23 Texas A&M 31, Arkansas 27
No. 24 Kansas State at Oklahoma State | 7 p.m. | ESPN+
No. 25 Michigan State 40, Indiana 31

A convincing win next weekend may see them crack 25....

We barely held on to beat a mediocre Purdue team without it's top 5 or 6 players. If we don't start moving people off the line on offense, we are going to finish the year at .500. Maybe worse.

I doubt they are truly a top 25 team, but at the same time they are 4-0. Above USC? Above KSU? Michican't State didn't look too strong. Texass A&M? I'm not saying they should be ranked, but the question is who do the voters vote for? Wake? Oklahoma State?
Personally I don't think they are ready to be ranked, but showing the ability. Maybe 1 or 2 more weeks undefeated.

Cyclones won't get any votes after losing to Baylor, Mississippi State should not receive votes after losing, Wazzu another...Gophs should be a top 35 team in this weeks ap poll...

take care of bizness vs Illini!

Yeah I know, and I said that somewhat sarcastically. Obviously I’d prefer to be 10-0 and ranked on the way to the CFP, but I’m a superstitious Gopher.

We barely held on to beat a mediocre Purdue team without it's top 5 or 6 players. If we don't start moving people off the line on offense, we are going to finish the year at .500. Maybe worse.

So, you're saying that this victory has an asterisk next to it because we didn't see the Purdue team as you would have liked to see. Okay. Bite me. The team kicked butt in passing and you blame it on injuries and the lack of the opposing starting qb. With reasoning ability like that, I worry for our nation and this board. 14 teams remain undefeated and we are not going to consider our record after 4 games because the 4th team we played had some boo boos and their best quarterback didn't play. Well, where is Annexstad right now? Oops, he is injured and our second string QB stomped on their throat, so we should discount that because it is Purdue, and they should not be respected because that had boo boos on some first string dudes.

I need a beer just to forget how creative humanity can be in creating excuses for being victorious. We won the war, but it wasn't a real victory because the French didn't have a real army to liberate Paris! No, no, Waterloo didn't count, because Napoleon could not see the entire battlefield and had the stomach flu! The victory at Midway didn't count, because we intercepted and decoded their cyphers and their battle wagons were never deployed. It just wasn't a fair fight!

Well we didn't have Mo. That must count for something.

No. Look at who were ahead of Gophs last week. Would need to leapfrog a bunch of teams.

Last edited:

Those were Mason and Kill Gopher teams that lost when ranked. Fleck Gophers are a very different breed it appears

Have Fleck Gophers done better when ranked?

No. Look at who we'r ahead of Gophs last week. Would need to leapfrog a bunch of teams.

And, many of those teams have losses. And, we have votes already. Just one or two more giving us status and we are in.

Cyclones won't get any votes after losing to Baylor, Mississippi State should not receive votes after losing, Wazzu another...Gophs should be a top 35 team in this weeks ap poll...

take care of bizness vs Illini!

But the way the human polls work, all of those Iowa State votes will go directly to Baylor. The AP poll, in particular has several voters that just always put half of the Big 12 in their Top 25 regardless of any other factors.

Same with K-State if they lose. OK State will get all of those votes.

Not this week and probably not next week either. I think we get a couple more votes this week. Next week if we win we will be one of the top vote getters on the outside of top 25 at 5-0

Goldmember’s prediction for the AP Poll tomorrow:

Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa should all climb one spot. But I doubt they will. No changes 1-14.

15. Washington
16. Utah (if they win)
17. Boise State
18. Michigan
19. UCF
20. Michigan State
21. California
22. SMU
23. Oklahoma State (if they win)
24. Virginia
25. Texas A&M

Others receiving votes:
(50-99):Wake Forest, Arizona State, USC
(20-50): Army, Memphis, Appalachian St, Baylor
(10-20): Missouri, Minnesota
(<10): Colorado, Tulane

Last edited:

And, many of those teams have losses. And, we have votes already. Just one or two more giving us status and we are in.

Mich, UCF, TX A&M, Wake Forest, MSU, Memphis, SMU, all won. K state lost to Okla St, who is ahead of Gophs.

Top Bottom