Minnesota Gophers ranked #26 in latest AP Poll

Do they always show who is at #26? I thought usually they were delegated to "Others receiving votes"....

What? Lol they show 25.

For receiving votes you see how many votes so you can calculate #26. Or if two tie at 25 they show both.

What? Lol they show 25.

For receiving votes you see how many votes so you can calculate #26. Or if two tie at 25 they show both.

They clearly show #26 in this poll.

The gophers are not in the "receiving votes" category. They are ranked #26 and then you have the receiving votes. I don't know if they always do this but this week, they show the top 26.

What? Lol they show 25.

How about you actually click on the link...

They’re 25th on my ESPN app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20191006-132804_Chrome.jpg

Wonder if it's something with Baylor. Neither their logo, facebook, or Twitter show up like everyone else.

Last edited:

Coaches poll has them at 25

Do they always show who is at #26? I thought usually they were delegated to "Others receiving votes"....

There was a tie last week so they listed 26 teams.

I think they forgot to change it back to list just 25.

It shows us in the others receiving votes category now.

Texas is 3-2 and we still #26

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We deserve the top 25 way more than Texas A&M. They have 2 losses and their 3 wins are against mediocre to bad teams.

I see why some teams with losses are ahead of us because their wins were good enough to put them there but Texas A&M doen't have a single impressive win. Close losses to great teams shouldn't be more important than winning.

Alabama will solve our A&M problem next weekend.

We just need to keep winning.

Coaches poll has them at 25

Yes, 25th in coaches' poll, which is what the networks use, so we will be ranked next weekend an our score repeated over and over again (added incentive for Nebraska and for us). HUGE game coming up!

We deserve the top 25 way more than Texas A&M. They have 2 losses and their 3 wins are against mediocre to bad teams.

I see why some teams with losses are ahead of us because their wins were good enough to put them there but Texas A&M doen't have a single impressive win. Close losses to great teams shouldn't be more important than winning.
They had a 41-7 and 62-3 win probably why but they play Alabama this week so we will see?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, 25th in coaches' poll, which is what the networks use, so we will be ranked next weekend an our score repeated over and over again (added incentive for Nebraska and for us). HUGE game coming up!

There isn't uniformity in how the networks use the polls.

ESPN favors the coaches poll, but that's because ESPN administers that poll. ESPN isn't favoring the writers poll when the coaches poll is in house. CBS, NBC, and Fox, and BTN by extension from Fox, favor the writers poll. In my youth I recall the TV networks giving the rankings for both polls if one or both teams were ranked differently.

Back when USA Today administered the coaches poll, ESPN favored the writers poll for the most part although at times it would favor whichever poll that created better rankings for games it televised. Strictly as a hypothetical example and not as an actual case in point, if ESPN was airing Ole Miss at Auburn and it would be unranked at #12 in the writers poll but #25 at #11 in the coaches poll, ESPN would lean to the coaches poll despite generally favoring the writers.

The writers poll gets used more for the simple reason that the coaches poll is an anachronism that in the age of every game being televised can be exposed as carrying little weight when you look at it. As a disclaimer, I know that not every voting media member can see every game, especially beat writers and game broadcasters. However, there are media members who literally have multiple TVs going at once to keep an eye on the various games and in any press box there will always be multiple TVs tuned into different games or people streaming different games at all times. The media members at the very least have a better shot at keeping an eye on the games and teams than the coaches.

Look at our game for instance. PJ Fleck and Lovie Smith likely saw some of the first half of one or more early afternoon games over lunch, but also were likely eating with their staff and weren't as focused on whatever game was on as opposed to going over details ahead of the game. The second half of the early games and the entirety of all late afternoon games were missed due to them coaching their teams. After the game both met with their teams and staffs, had their postgame press conferences, likely had some quick meet and greets with assorted boosters, donors, school officials, VIPs, other guests, and so on. Then they showered up. Perhaps PJ Fleck got to see the second half of the prime time action and stayed up for the late night West Coast games, but Lovie Smith and his team loaded up the bus, went to the airport, and were in the sky to head home. Perhaps they had a plane with access to TVs, perhaps not. On that basis, how would either of them or any other head coach who had a game yesterday afternoon, or in prime time to a great extent, know anything about what happened in college football yesterday or on any Saturday when any their team has a game?

What happens to a great extent is any or all of the following; group think (every other coach is rating Team X highly, the writers rate them highly, and they won yesterday, so I'll rate them highly too even though I haven't watched them play at all this season), helping the league (our conference rival might be more like the 30th best team but I'll rank them 23rd because it helps us by extension), and doing favors for friends (Coach Smokey gave me my start as a grad assistant so I'll rank his team in gratitude even though their wins are all against non Power 5 teams or Coach Dave used to be my O-Line coach and I want him to do well so I'll overrate his team to help him out). What also happens is the sports information director fills out the poll sheet even though he was also so busy on Saturday that he didn't see much of the other games either.

Last edited:

Top Bottom