Chris Monter Q&A: Lakeville South QB Mitch Leidner Cuold Be The Newest Gopher

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
New Gopher head coach Jerry Kill has made landing the top in-state prospects a priority. Minnesota offered a scholarship to Mitch Leidner, a 6-foot-5 1/2, 223-pound senior from Lakeville (MN) South and he could be the next local product to commit to the Golden Gophers. GopherHole.com, who was the first to introduce fans to Leidner, caught up with him to learn the latest on his recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1432

that interview makes it look like he is 100% going to commit. I wonder what Nelson is thinking.

Nelson is probably thinking that there is not one kid on the Gopher roster right now, behind MG, that can actually take a snap as the QB of a Big Ten football team, not this year, not 2 years from now. His main competition will be Shortell. Leidner is the type of kid who at 6'5.5" you can afford to bring in, give him a shot at his natural position, then move him if he is not better than your main recruit at the position. If Leidner turns out to be better than Nelson, than oh well, he probably wasn't going to be a starting QB at any BCS school in the country. Most QBs will have to compete against 2-3 guys immediately upon stepping on campus. It isn't different here than any other situation that he'd step into at a good school. Only difference, his competition won't be coming from the 3 classes above him, it will be coming from his own class and the 1 class above him. Probably a better situation, only having to beat out kids your own age with about the same experience, than trying to de-seat a kid who has been in the system for 2-3 years. Just my $0.02, I don't think he cares, nor should he.

Top Bottom