All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Walton's recruitment has been quiet the whole time but all indications are that we are still heavily on his mind.

Mashburn may dim the appeal a bit and there's no way we would want him over Garcia. So unless there is a scholarship opening soon via graduation, NBA draft or transfer we would likely be out.

Candidates for leaving early:

Curry - injured and could hang it up, also could graduate transfer. 45% chance of happening. But I'm just guessing. He's a good kid and he's overcome so much. I wouldn't bet against him coming back.

Oturu - Only real shot at being drafted early on team. He would have to blow up, way up! 10% chance of happening

Williams, Ihnen, Greenlee - one of these guys could transfer based on the toil of playing in the B1G or to get more opportunity. But I think they are all going to get some play. -5% chance of happening.

Last edited:

Walton's recruitment has been quiet the whole time but all indications are that we are still heavily on his mind.

Mashburn may dim the appeal a bit and there's no way we would want him over Garcia. So unless there is a scholarship opening soon via graduation, NBA draft or transfer we would likely be out.

Curry - injured and could hang it up, also could graduate transfer. 45% chance of happening. But I'm just guessing. He's a good kid and he's overcome so much. I wouldn't bet against him coming back.

Oturu - Only real shot at being drafted early on team. He would have to blow up, way up! 10% chance of happening

Williams, Ihnen, Greenlee - one of these guys could transfer based on the toil of playing in the B1G or to get more opportunity. But I think they are all going to get some play. -5% chance of happening.

Walton has had plenty of time to commit.

Walton and Garcia are takes regardless of the amount commitments, if they go elsewhere it isn't because we didn't have room for them.

Ok...so pipe dream here.

Mitchell is committed. Mashburn is coming, no doubt in my over-confident mind.

That leaves "one" scholarship.

I think we have a very legit chance at Garcia and Walton. I see a path to an open scholarship for one of them if necessary. Not saying Richard kicks a dude out BUT I could see someone leaving to make that spot open.

Yes, I seem to recall a certain very tall Scandinavian who just happened to decide to leave the program when it looked certain like we were landing a certain transfer from North Dakota...

Not trying to run off a player (especially a local kid) but is Hurt on track to graduate?

Not trying to run off a player (especially a local kid) but is Hurt on track to graduate?

Why else would you be asking? Hurt is out of eligibility after this season anyway, so we wouldn't be able to "Crean" him even if we wanted to.

Hurt has already graduated, and is a senior so will not be back in 20-21 regardless.

Yes, I seem to recall a certain very tall Scandinavian who just happened to decide to leave the program when it looked certain like we were landing a certain transfer from North Dakota...

This is a different situation than we are talking about this fall. Do we have a precedent where we had more guys committed than we had open spots and went through an entire season where it would be clear we needed to "Crean" somebody at the end of the year? I don't believe so. The Matz situation occurred when the North Dakota kid's signing was imminent/likely before Gonzaga came into the picture.

Or are you suggesting we would "Crean" somebody before THIS season?

College basketball is completely different now with the "transfer portal", odds are some one is going to transfer, teams now operate under that assumption, look at Wisconsin, they have more commitments than available scholarships right now, and I think we can all agree they aren't a team typically known for "creaning". If you don't operate under this assumption, you will be stuck taking someone not worthy of a scholarship or end up like Wisconsin where you don't have enough players that you have to have open tryouts

Nice. Have you heard if he is scheduling any other visits than IU?

Turns out I'm bad with numbers and dates. Mashburn is announcing Monday 10/14, all signs point to the Gophers.

Garcia is visiting Indiana and RJ had said he was going to visit Marquette, but I haven't seen anything official on that. With them already having 2 PF/C commits, I firmly believe it's down to the Gophers and Indiana. Pitino has 1 available scholly left, and it's for Garcia. He's been all-in on Dawson for a long time, and the chances only got better after his official here.

Nobody really knows what Walton is up to and he hasn't said much lately. If he wants to come here, you figure it out in the spring. Like it's been said multiple times on here, someone always transfers or maybe Curry decides it's over. Pitino isn't going to force somebody out though, that isn't and never has been his style.

College basketball is completely different now with the "transfer portal", odds are some one is going to transfer, teams now operate under that assumption, look at Wisconsin, they have more commitments than available scholarships right now, and I think we can all agree they aren't a team typically known for "creaning"

It might be totally different and I would expect to see a transfer at the end of the year, but at this point we don't have four scholarships available. I personally wouldn't have a problem with Pitino trying to land four commitments but we just haven't seen it with him.

Turns out I'm bad with numbers and dates. Mashburn is announcing Monday 10/14, all signs point to the Gophers.

Garcia is visiting Indiana and RJ had said he was going to visit Marquette, but I haven't seen anything official on that. With them already having 2 PF/C commits, I firmly believe it's down to the Gophers and Indiana. Pitino has 1 available scholly left, and it's for Garcia. He's been all-in on Dawson for a long time, and the chances only got better after his official here.

Nobody really knows what Walton is up to and he hasn't said much lately. If he wants to come here, you figure it out in the spring. Like it's been said multiple times on here, someone always transfers or maybe Curry decides it's over. Pitino isn't going to force somebody out though, that isn't and never has been his style.

I guess it depends what “force” means? Maybe “gently let them know that they won’t be a contributor and ask nicely to step aside”?

Why else would you be asking? Hurt is out of eligibility after this season anyway, so we wouldn't be able to "Crean" him even if we wanted to.

Was thinking he was a junior.

If someone wants to finish their career or work on an advanced degree I have no issue with it and its probably the smart thing to do.

I asked because he doesn't play a ton and maybe would want to move on to his next chapter if his education was complete

Hurt runs out of eligibility after this year.

It might be totally different and I would expect to see a transfer at the end of the year, but at this point we don't have four scholarships available. I personally wouldn't have a problem with Pitino trying to land four commitments but we just haven't seen it with him.

One would have to hold off until late signing period as well, could potentially be a tough sell

One would have to hold off until late signing period as well, could potentially be a tough sell

Is it a rule that you can't oversign if you don't have the scholarships already free for the next year? Or is that something that it is up to the coaches to figure out before the start of the next school year? Curious, as I assumed you would just have to be at the right number by next September.

In football you can sign up to 25 per year, and you don’t need to have those scholarships available right then and there.

Funny how so many critics were claiming that Pitino can’t recruit and that this year will be a bust. Now there is a discussion that we will be so loaded with 4star players that we may have to over sign to let in another local player.

As many of us have said, Pitino will get quality players every year.

The local players need to jump on the train when they are offered a ticket or they may be setting in a dorm across the river, wearing an ugly cowboy warmup with tassels under the sleeves, watching the U dancing until the fat lady sings... Ski-U-Mah!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it a rule that you can't oversign if you don't have the scholarships already free for the next year? Or is that something that it is up to the coaches to figure out before the start of the next school year? Curious, as I assumed you would just have to be at the right number by next September.

This has been discussed before here and I think it has been said that scholarship commitments are year to year, such that technically no player has a scholarship guaranteed for next year. If that is the case- they could sign 4. The practical issue is that it may hurt the team or certain players from an emotional standpoint since everyone would know that someone would not be asked to return the following year. It could create some tension, I suppose.

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that we would clear room for Walton, but I don't think we would. We never booted Bakary or Gas I don't think? However, it'd honestly probably help him more than it would hurt him in the long run.

This has been discussed before here and I think it has been said that scholarship commitments are year to year, such that technically no player has a scholarship guaranteed for next year. If that is the case- they could sign 4. The practical issue is that it may hurt the team or certain players from an emotional standpoint since everyone would know that someone would not be asked to return the following year. It could create some tension, I suppose.

I suppose as they get this second opinion on Curry's injury, this situation could evolve as well. But after what Curry has been through and the effort put into rehabs, I cannot see Pitino showing him the door - as he should not. It would have to be a situation where Curry says he doesn't want to keep going through this or where the doctor says his legs will never allow him to play a full season healthy again.

We never booted Bakary or Gas I don't think? However, it'd honestly probably help him more than it would hurt him in the long run.

The Bakary and Gas situations were unique though. Neither of them were US citizens, and both were marginal prospects. Its different to nudge a kid out the door when the result of them leaving would be a possible exit from the country.

I don't follow this as close as some of you, but this discussion of not having enough open scholarships amuses me. When has that ever been our issue?

I don't follow this as close as some of you, but this discussion of not having enough open scholarships amuses me. When has that ever been our issue?

Seriously, this has not been a recurring theme at all. And there are a lot of people on this board that think this could be a real problem this year. Let's wait until we lock down Mashburn first. I think there is an overwhelming amount of people thinking that Dawson is coming here too. Although I think that is still a possibility I think getting his committment isn't going to be easy. We have a long way to go boys.

I read an article on Masburn's recruitment. He mentioned the close ties between the Pitinos and Mashburns. I think if Rick Pitino is still in college coaching, he goes with him. Rick being out of college coaching helps Richard get this recruit (fingers crossed).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I suppose as they get this second opinion on Curry's injury, this situation could evolve as well. But after what Curry has been through and the effort put into rehabs, I cannot see Pitino showing him the door - as he should not. It would have to be a situation where Curry says he doesn't want to keep going through this or where the doctor says his legs will never allow him to play a full season healthy again.

I agree. If Garcia and Mashburn come on board- I think they would have to just hope that Walton holds off until spring or take someone else in the spring when the inevitable spot opens.

The Bakary and Gas situations were unique though. Neither of them were US citizens, and both were marginal prospects. Its different to nudge a kid out the door when the result of them leaving would be a possible exit from the country.

Respectfully I disagree. I believe they would have still gotten a degree somewhere else. Could have ended up trying to play Euro ball maybe.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom