Gopher Volleyball 2019

Future recruiting.. I know the old saying, just bring in the best talent, but I notice a real drop in recruiting in the next few year of the Minnesota girls. 2020 we have a great recruiting class coming in and NO Minnesota kids. 2021we have two from Wisconsin and one from Tx. and one from MN. so far 2022 another from Wisc. and a transfer from MN. who know lives in Colorado. Thought on this. I agree, get the best talent you can, but does this encourage the local talent to look out of state more to get there scholarships. Top Minnesota talent might start to feel there won't be room for them at the U.

I think vball, like basketball, is so consistent from state to state, which you can imagine for any indoor court-sports, where the playing conditions are exactly the same, top talents are playing year round in clubs, etc.

That it's really a matter of the top 10-15 programs just having a long term plan of "which positions do we need to bring in for this class" and then looking at the national rankings.

Clearly players from Texas, Florida, etc. have no problem coming to cold Minny and playing for Hugh.

Future recruiting.. I know the old saying, just bring in the best talent, but I notice a real drop in recruiting in the next few year of the Minnesota girls. 2020 we have a great recruiting class coming in and NO Minnesota kids. 2021we have two from Wisconsin and one from Tx. and one from MN. so far 2022 another from Wisc. and a transfer from MN. who know lives in Colorado. Thought on this. I agree, get the best talent you can, but does this encourage the local talent to look out of state more to get there scholarships. Top Minnesota talent might start to feel there won't be room for them at the U.

To be fair, the transfer from MN to Colorado left because her dad is in the Nuggets front office...and was only here because he was in the Wolves front office...so not sure how that plays into this.

Probably doesn’t, but is she still considered a Minnesotan if she is not currently living here.

Probably doesn’t, but is she still considered a Minnesotan if she is not currently living here.
She's one of us, no matter what. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What a night in Iowa City. Minnesota takes the last three sets to win -18, 21, 18, 28. The Gophers played without Miller and McGraw (undisclosed injury). Plus, after Hart fired a couple of shots out of bounds early in the first set, she went to the bench and in came Sheehan. Hart did not return. And not only did we see the setter switch with Huseman, Hugh kept Mcmenimen on the bench for extended periods. The Gophers needed the blocking to shut down the Hawkeye attack. The Gopher blocking from the makeshift lineup made the difference.

So we finally got to see Pittman as a go to setter. It was fun. Regan had fantastic night: 16 kills (hitting .640) with 3 assists. It was excellent work on the front line with Samedy with 14 kills, Morgan, 16 and Rollins, 14. And a good and necessary night of coaching.

Last edited:

What a night in Iowa City. Minnesota takes the last three sets to win -18, 21, 18, 25. The Gophers played without Miller and McGraw (undisclosed injury). Plus, after Hart fired a couple of shots out of bounds early in the first set, she went to the bench and in came Sheehan. Hart did not return. And not only did we see the setter switch with Huseman, Hugh kept Mcmenimen on the bench for extended periods. The Gophers needed the blocking to shut down the Hawkeye attack. The Gopher blocking from the makeshift lineup made the difference.

So we finally got to see Pittman as a go to setter. It was fun. Regan had fantastic night: 16 kills (hitting .640) with 3 assists. It was excellent work on the front line with Samedy with 14 kills, Morgan, 16 and Rollins, 14. And a good and necessary night of coaching.

That first set was scary, but what a comeback. Hart's biggest problem is serve receive and they could not hide her tonight. Sheehan came up big against her old team.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Whew! It's over.

What a night in Iowa City. Minnesota takes the last three sets to win -18, 21, 18, 25. The Gophers played without Miller and McGraw (undisclosed injury). Plus, after Hart fired a couple of shots out of bounds early in the first set, she went to the bench and in came Sheehan. Hart did not return. And not only did we see the setter switch with Huseman, Hugh kept Mcmenimen on the bench for extended periods. The Gophers needed the blocking to shut down the Hawkeye attack. The Gopher blocking from the makeshift lineup made the difference.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Wishing Miller & McGraw quick recoveries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A very gutsy match by the Gophers! They even came back in the fourth from down 18-22, avoiding one of those who-knows-what's-going-to-happen-on-the-road fifth sets. One minor correction: the fourth set was 30-28.

Last edited:

Solid win for the Badgers tonight. I thought Penn St would be too tough, but Wisconsin got hot at home and rolled them.

This may have already been addressed, but can anyone tell me why Alexis Hart seems to be on the outside looking in this year? I'm surprised by that...

Solid win for the Badgers tonight. I thought Penn St would be too tough, but Wisconsin got hot at home and rolled them.

This may have already been addressed, but can anyone tell me why Alexis Hart seems to be on the outside looking in this year? I'm surprised by that...

I'm not sure what you mean, other than tonight. Hart had 3.02 kills per set last year, and has 3.19 kills per set this year. Two years ago she did serve and receive serve, but I thought Rollins took over that role last year.

Last edited:

The box score of the MN/Iowa VB match, showed the total attendance was only 181. Kinda shocking, to me anyway; Iowa had a possible upset in the making but nobody there to see it. What else is there to do in Iowa City on a Wednesday night in October?

The box score of the MN/Iowa VB match, showed the total attendance was only 181. Kinda shocking, to me anyway; Iowa had a possible upset in the making but nobody there to see it. What else is there to do in Iowa City on a Wednesday night in October?

Probably free admission for students too.

They only care about corn and football, in Iowa during the fall.

Wild speculating here (which really won't be much): Miller and now McGraw had to see doctors for something, and the docs told them to sit out. You can't comment on medical conditions, that's confidential information between patient and doctor.

If it's just the training staff, those aren't doctors. When it gets bad enough that you need to upgrade treatment to seeing the team doctor, that's different.

Could be a non-contagious illness. Could be something physical. No idea.

I'm not sure what you mean, other than tonight. Hart had 3.02 kills per set last year, and has 3.19 kills per set this year. Two years ago she did serve and receive serve, but I thought Rollins took over that role last year.

I didn't think I saw her last night, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. My wife got home and started talking and so I only half watched the game.

I didn't think I saw her last night, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. My wife got home and started talking and so I only half watched the game.

No, no, no. You were absolutely right about last night. She came out of the game in the first set and remained on the bench for the remember of the match. That certainly was unusual, to say the least.

I watched the entire replay (I was honestly hooked and could not turn it off) and it was correct as reported, Hart only had a couple weak hits in set 1, most of which went out of bounds, then she sat out the rest of the game per coach’s decision.

Either that was a gutsy choice by Hugh to really, really give some second-unit players a chance to shine (which they did, ultimately). Or else (and this too is entirely speculation) Hart was also under the weather with some medical condition, but not so bad that she couldn’t start, yet when her play showed that she was half her normal self, Hugh figured he’d give her a rest. In any event, tremendous confidence in the bench by Hugh. As the commentator pointed out, the Gopher practice regimen gets all the players in the mix all the time, so not such a surprise that (for instance) backup setters did so well.

That last set was really scary. Other than the final 30-28 win plus one other, all the set points were Iowa ones. Gophers were making service errors on deuces, it looked like they were going down, but they toughed it out.

I will (only half jokingly) nominate Pittman for this week’s PoW and Defensive PoW and Setter of the Week. Til now, I had no clue that (if needs be) she could set. Truly (as noted earlier) it was Hugh’s decision to selectively go setterless so as to keep the blockers in the game, that enabled this win (with 3 starters on the bench). Proving that good coaching, not just good players, is critical in volleyball.

Last edited:

I watched the entire replay (I was honestly hooked and could not turn it off) and it was correct as reported, Hart only had a couple weak hits in set 1, most of which went out of bounds, then she sat out the rest of the game per coach’s decision.

Either that was a gutsy choice by Hugh to really, really give some second-unit players a chance to shine (which they did, ultimately). Or else (and this too is entirely speculation) Hart was also under the weather with some medical condition, but not so bad that she couldn’t start, yet when her play showed that she was half her normal self, Hugh figured he’d give her a rest. In any event, tremendous confidence in the bench by Hugh. As the commentator pointed out, the Gopher practice regimen gets all the players in the mix all the time, so not such a surprise that (for instance) backup setters did so well.

That last set was really scary. Other than the final 30-28 win plus one other, all the set points were Iowa ones. Gophers were making service errors on deuces, it looked like they were going down, but they toughed it out.

I will (only half jokingly) nominate Pittman for this week’s PoW and Defensive PoW and Setter of the Week. Til now, I had no clue that (if needs be) she could set. Truly (as noted earlier) it was Hugh’s decision to selectively go setterless so as to keep the blockers in the game, that enabled this win (with 3 starters on the bench). Proving that good coaching, not just good players, is critical in volleyball.

Thanks, these are VERY good analyses, which really help a VB novice like me. I search the web all over for incisive analysis of VB games but find hardly any. You're right: the 3rd set was scary. Just when it looked like MN had worn Iowa down, MN seemed to start just pushing the ball over the net, like Gophers were the tired team and they were praying Iowa would miss (which Iowa finally did on that late service error). While there's much to admire about the Gophers, their modus operandi seems to be, get ahead and then let up, just when a touch of killer instinct would put the match out of reach.

[I deleted my incorrect comment responding to Ignatius's post.]

Last edited:

[I deleted my incorrect "correction" of my incorrect response.]

Last edited:

Thanks, these are VERY good analyses, which really help a VB novice like me. I search the web all over for incisive analysis of VB games but find hardly any. You're right: the 3rd set was scary. Just when it looked like MN had worn Iowa down, MN seemed to start just pushing the ball over the net, like Gophers were the tired team and they were praying Iowa would miss (which Iowa finally did on that late service error). While there's much to admire about the Gophers, their modus operandi seems to be, get ahead and then let up, just when a touch of killer instinct would put the match out of reach.

Hrothgar, in spite of your claiming to be a "volleyball novice," your thoughts are actually pretty insightful (and echo others comments on this blog), such as ...

> While there's much to admire about the Gophers, their modus operandi seems to be, get ahead and then let up, just when a touch of killer instinct would put the match out of reach.

Or, as others have stated, there seems to be a tendency for the Gophers to play down to the level of their opponent. I agree with the specifics you mention, summarizing by saying that it often seems like the Gophers get ahead and then reduce their level of aggression in the hopes that the other team will make mistakes and the Gophers can back into a win.

To a certain extent (in the exactly right context) that is a good strategy, and I'm guessing that Hugh actually teaches it, but perhaps he needs to give more specific instructions to the team as to exactly when to play the tactic of "let the other team mistake themselves into a set-win for us." For instance, were the Gophers to be ahead by a score of (say) 25 - X to 25 - 2*X, where X = 5 or more, it's a good idea to just let the other team mistake their way into a win for us. That's just because of the mathematics and the nature of volleyball. The "natural" course of a volleyball set among fairly evenly matched teams is to mostly trade points (with a few runs thrown in), so that in the above scenario the (statistically) "expected" outcome is that by the time our team scores X more points (and gets to 25), the other team will likely get to 25 - X. That's the "mean" result, but the devil is in (a) the potentially long tails of the statistical distribution, along with (b) the heightened effort and heightened aggression and never-give-up attitude of the other team that is in danger of losing the set. So, by the math, if you're expecting the "average" result, it pays for the leader that is an order-of-magnitude closer to 25, to just play "better than average" and don't take shots at-risk of going out of bounds, i.e., play a bit conservatively and hope for the "average" result that will happen if they two teams just trade points.

But as an example of the "long tail," namely that that tactic can backfire. Iowa was up 23-18 towards the end of regulation in set 4, and it's extremely difficult for a team (i.e., the Gophers in this case) to score 6 points before the opposing team scores 2 points. The Gophers needed to get those 6 points to get to 24, which (so as to win by 2) meant that Iowa actually needed 3 points, not just 2 points to win the set outright. That was a huge challenge, yet the Gophers buckled down and played at a higher level, so as to deuce-up the set. And then faced Iowa set-point after set-point, upping their game yet another level and taking the set in the end. For that to have been done by 4 out of the 7 starters plus 3 bench players, was, well, quite astounding actually.

But to your point, it can go the other way too. In a recent match (one of the last-weekend ones if I recall) the Gophers were ahead about 20-something to 15, but (relaxing perhaps a bit too much) let their opponent get right back into the game and almost take the set. Probably by playing too complacently.

All this talk about passive vs. aggressive play at end-of-set makes me recall a technical point regarding Gopher blocking that I've had on my mind for a while, but have kept to myself. Consider the following mostly personal opinion and perhaps part science - since I'm not a volleyball guru (yet I have played the game recreationally and have watched a ton of Gopher and St. Thomas games).

As a team, the Gophers have been (in recent history) a pretty good blocking team. Yet it seems to me that quite often our defensive blocking efforts are turned against us as an offensive weapon by the opposing team. For an example, let me lay off the current team for a sec (they'll get their lecture momentarily), and pick on our recent great Gopher team of about 3 years ago, back when we had the twins and SSS and as additional front-row blockers, Sarah Wilhite and Molly Lohman and Taylor Morgan (and Regan too, but she was wisely red-shirted and didn't play much). That was arguably a killer blocking team. Yet by my (very informal) statistical count, that team (when averaged across the entire season) probably lost more points on attempted blocks than they won on successful blocks that went down (plus a few that stayed in play). What's wrong with that scenario? Well, I can tell you. Smart opponents consistently took advantage of our blocking skills as an offensive weapon for themselves. They consistenty aimed at the outer edges of our excellently placed blocks, and the ball hit the blockers' hands and careened out of bounds - about equally many (if not more) times than the blocker hit it down for a kill.

Now, when we played lesser teams in 2016, our skillful blocking worked very positively for us, and we mostly won. But when we played better/smarter teams (as in the NCAAs for instance) those teams not only had better hitters that jumped higher and were more often able to forcibly hit it through the blocks, but they were also smarter and better-skilled at hitting the outside of the blocks near the pins, and careening the ball out of bounds for an opponent point. Thus, that 2016 Gopher team, which was very capable of winning it all in the NCAAs, didn't

Fast forward to the 2019 team, and in fact to the first set of the Iowa game. We still have great blocking, although arguably not at the 2016 caliber (in spite of the great efforts by Pittman and Morgan with help from our OHers). Iowa had some decent hitters, but one great hitter who was making mincemeat of our blocks. Partly, they weren't putting up strong blocks initially, and partly there was the issue of the makeshift impromptu team being a bit discombobulated. But to a very large degree, that first-set team was having the same problem as the 2016 team. Iowa players kept hitting shots glancing off the pin-side of blockers hands and out of bounds for an Iowa point. That plus outright bona-fide great kills by Iowa's best (and 2nd-best and 3rd-best) hitters, and you've got yourself a recipe for a lost set.

Then the rest of the match, we got our blocking together a little bit, and we were able to stop Iowa from getting the perfect hitting that we gave them in the first set. Plus Hugh gambled on going setterless just sufficiently many times so that our blocking kept their hitting in check. Plus, Minnesota was just a better team than Iowa, even minus three of our starters. But if we had been playing against an NCAA Sweet-Sixteen team, we would have lost in straight sets.

I argue that we need a different (and rather radical) blocking strategy. For one thing, when blocking near the pin, go up like a normal block, but as the ball is struck, move your hands about 6 inches toward the pin, and even angle them about 30 degrees so as to more likely deflect the blocked ball toward the middle of the court, and not out of bounds. Also nice (but a tough thing to ask for) would be better/faster assessment-and-recognition of whether the blockers can make a successful downward (and not out-of-bounds) block, and if not than quickly tilt the blocking hands back 45 degrees so as to convert it into an upward tip that our back-row players can make a play on. In summary, if we could convert as much as half of our bad blocks (that either miss completely or go out-of-bounds) into either block-kills or neutral tips, then I think we win an NCAA title.

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-ev...n-cities-campus-2019-homecoming-grand-marshal

Michele A. Brekke will serve as Grand Marshal for the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus 2019 Homecoming parade on October 4. Brekke retired in 2014 from NASA’s Johnson Space Center after 37 years of service in human spaceflight mission operations.

Brekke, now a flight manager for the Boeing CST-100 Starliner operational missions, holds B.S (’75) and M.S. (’77) degrees in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Minnesota. She has received several leadership awards, including recognition from the U’s College of Science and Engineering and the NASA Exceptional Achievement Award. During her time at the U of M, she was also a volleyball letter winner. In 1986, she was inducted into The Golden Spikers, Minnesota’s volleyball hall of fame of that time.

Hrothgar, in spite of your claiming to be a "volleyball novice," your thoughts are actually pretty insightful (and echo others comments on this blog), such as ...

> While there's much to admire about the Gophers, their modus operandi seems to be, get ahead and then let up, just when a touch of killer instinct would put the match out of reach.

Or, as others have stated, there seems to be a tendency for the Gophers to play down to the level of their opponent. I agree with the specifics you mention, summarizing by saying that it often seems like the Gophers get ahead and then reduce their level of aggression in the hopes that the other team will make mistakes and the Gophers can back into a win.

To a certain extent (in the exactly right context) that is a good strategy, and I'm guessing that Hugh actually teaches it, but perhaps he needs to give more specific instructions to the team as to exactly when to play the tactic of "let the other team mistake themselves into a set-win for us." For instance, were the Gophers to be ahead by a score of (say) 25 - X to 25 - 2*X, where X = 5 or more, it's a good idea to just let the other team mistake their way into a win for us. That's just because of the mathematics and the nature of volleyball. The "natural" course of a volleyball set among fairly evenly matched teams is to mostly trade points (with a few runs thrown in), so that in the above scenario the (statistically) "expected" outcome is that by the time our team scores X more points (and gets to 25), the other team will likely get to 25 - X. That's the "mean" result, but the devil is in (a) the potentially long tails of the statistical distribution, along with (b) the heightened effort and heightened aggression and never-give-up attitude of the other team that is in danger of losing the set. So, by the math, if you're expecting the "average" result, it pays for the leader that is an order-of-magnitude closer to 25, to just play "better than average" and don't take shots at-risk of going out of bounds, i.e., play a bit conservatively and hope for the "average" result that will happen if they two teams just trade points.

But as an example of the "long tail," namely that that tactic can backfire. Iowa was up 23-18 towards the end of regulation in set 4, and it's extremely difficult for a team (i.e., the Gophers in this case) to score 6 points before the opposing team scores 2 points. The Gophers needed to get those 6 points to get to 24, which (so as to win by 2) meant that Iowa actually needed 3 points, not just 2 points to win the set outright. That was a huge challenge, yet the Gophers buckled down and played at a higher level, so as to deuce-up the set. And then faced Iowa set-point after set-point, upping their game yet another level and taking the set in the end. For that to have been done by 4 out of the 7 starters plus 3 bench players, was, well, quite astounding actually.

But to your point, it can go the other way too. In a recent match (one of the last-weekend ones if I recall) the Gophers were ahead about 20-something to 15, but (relaxing perhaps a bit too much) let their opponent get right back into the game and almost take the set. Probably by playing too complacently.

All this talk about passive vs. aggressive play at end-of-set makes me recall a technical point regarding Gopher blocking that I've had on my mind for a while, but have kept to myself. Consider the following mostly personal opinion and perhaps part science - since I'm not a volleyball guru (yet I have played the game recreationally and have watched a ton of Gopher and St. Thomas games).

As a team, the Gophers have been (in recent history) a pretty good blocking team. Yet it seems to me that quite often our defensive blocking efforts are turned against us as an offensive weapon by the opposing team. For an example, let me lay off the current team for a sec (they'll get their lecture momentarily), and pick on our recent great Gopher team of about 3 years ago, back when we had the twins and SSS and as additional front-row blockers, Sarah Wilhite and Molly Lohman and Taylor Morgan (and Regan too, but she was wisely red-shirted and didn't play much). That was arguably a killer blocking team. Yet by my (very informal) statistical count, that team (when averaged across the entire season) probably lost more points on attempted blocks than they won on successful blocks that went down (plus a few that stayed in play). What's wrong with that scenario? Well, I can tell you. Smart opponents consistently took advantage of our blocking skills as an offensive weapon for themselves. They consistenty aimed at the outer edges of our excellently placed blocks, and the ball hit the blockers' hands and careened out of bounds - about equally many (if not more) times than the blocker hit it down for a kill.

Now, when we played lesser teams in 2016, our skillful blocking worked very positively for us, and we mostly won. But when we played better/smarter teams (as in the NCAAs for instance) those teams not only had better hitters that jumped higher and were more often able to forcibly hit it through the blocks, but they were also smarter and better-skilled at hitting the outside of the blocks near the pins, and careening the ball out of bounds for an opponent point. Thus, that 2016 Gopher team, which was very capable of winning it all in the NCAAs, didn't

Fast forward to the 2019 team, and in fact to the first set of the Iowa game. We still have great blocking, although arguably not at the 2016 caliber (in spite of the great efforts by Pittman and Morgan with help from our OHers). Iowa had some decent hitters, but one great hitter who was making mincemeat of our blocks. Partly, they weren't putting up strong blocks initially, and partly there was the issue of the makeshift impromptu team being a bit discombobulated. But to a very large degree, that first-set team was having the same problem as the 2016 team. Iowa players kept hitting shots glancing off the pin-side of blockers hands and out of bounds for an Iowa point. That plus outright bona-fide great kills by Iowa's best (and 2nd-best and 3rd-best) hitters, and you've got yourself a recipe for a lost set.

Then the rest of the match, we got our blocking together a little bit, and we were able to stop Iowa from getting the perfect hitting that we gave them in the first set. Plus Hugh gambled on going setterless just sufficiently many times so that our blocking kept their hitting in check. Plus, Minnesota was just a better team than Iowa, even minus three of our starters. But if we had been playing against an NCAA Sweet-Sixteen team, we would have lost in straight sets.

I argue that we need a different (and rather radical) blocking strategy. For one thing, when blocking near the pin, go up like a normal block, but as the ball is struck, move your hands about 6 inches toward the pin, and even angle them about 30 degrees so as to more likely deflect the blocked ball toward the middle of the court, and not out of bounds. Also nice (but a tough thing to ask for) would be better/faster assessment-and-recognition of whether the blockers can make a successful downward (and not out-of-bounds) block, and if not than quickly tilt the blocking hands back 45 degrees so as to convert it into an upward tip that our back-row players can make a play on. In summary, if we could convert as much as half of our bad blocks (that either miss completely or go out-of-bounds) into either block-kills or neutral tips, then I think we win an NCAA title.

Thanks so much for your explanations. They help me get a lot clearer grasp on what I'm seeing on the court (or not seeing). As for the Iowa game, your thought of getting ahead and then just on averages playing the other team even up to 25 seems what Iowa did in set 1, though I'm not certain they did so by design. MN started out in a daze, which Iowa took advantage of. By the time MN woke up in set 1, Iowa needed only to play them 50/50 to win the set. In sets 2 & 3, I thought MN started serving and returning deeper in the court, which meant Iowa had to work their way up to the net; that made points harder to come by for the Hawkeyes, which is good tennis strategy, too, which I'll get back to. Set 4 is when I thought MN started "pushing" the ball rather than outright hitting it, just getting the ball back over the net. It seemed they had the match in the bag, but then stopped being aggressive, which meant they then were playing down to the opponent's level and fell behind.

Four about 3-4 years folks have complained about MN's backcourt defense, but I disagree. Their weakness has, imo like yours, been a poor block. Stanford, Oregon, Wisconsin, etc., tall teams in general, have shredded MN's net defense. Even when opponents have telegraphed their kills, MN has let them score at will from the net position. Maybe because MN's blockers haven't been tall enough? No backcourt defenders in the world can handle smashes that are uncontested at the net. In deference to what you say about outside blocks, I've still felt MN's middle block has been at times since 2016 been pretty non-existent.

As I hinted at, my background is sports is mainly tennis. In tennis, or at least men's pro tennis, the approach is to get control of the point immediately and go for a winner and also to get a service break and then put pressure on the opponents so they don't get back in the set and start believing they can win. On the other hand, women's tennis seems to be a constant back-and-forth (mainly because their serves aren't as strong). Likewise in VB I've watched matches that team A wins over team B by, say 25-22, when it feels the score should've been something like 25-9 or 25-10. Is that because the VB serving isn't dominant enough? The tendency seems to be that at about 22-14 the team in the lead lets up and lets the opponent back in the match. Why not just keep serving and smashing hard and as my old tennis coach always said, put them out of their misery?

Of course, I'm just blowing off steam. VB obviously isn't tennis, but in both sports, every point starts with a serve, a service return, and hopefully getting control of the net. My view is that, true, MN can win a nat'l title but they need to stay athletic and growna few inches taller at the net than they are now. MN's reserves can beat most teams, as the Iowa game showed, but to win the NCAA they'll need to dominate at the net. Any follow-up comments are welcome.

QUOTE]

I'm even more of a volleyball novice than Hrothgar claims to be, so take this comment with several grains of salt. But doesn't the effectiveness of the block go well beyond how many attempted kills are blocked down for points versus how many points are lost on attempted blocks? That is, doesn't the mere presence of blockers at the net limit the options of the opposing hitters? Don't they force the opponent to hit to certain areas of the court -- presumably, where your diggers are placed -- or maybe to hit dink shots? That limiting of options might not show up in the statistics, but isn't it just as important, if not more important, than the number of blocks that actually win points versus the number that directly lead to opponents' points? Wouldn't the more relevant comparison be between how often the opponent's kill would win the point (or how quickly the point would be lost) if no blockers were present vs. with blockers present? I do realize I am ignoring your post's later suggestions regarding angles of the blockers' hands, etc., which is way over my head -- so to speak, and I know you aren't suggesting no blockers at all , but it seems to me that blockers do so much more than just directly win points by putting the ball down. (Clearly, this comment is coming from a volleyball novice.)

Last edited:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2015/March/10/Ten-keys-to-blocking-middle

Ten middle blocking keys from Heather Brown:
4. Watch the pass. The location of the ball after the pass tells you a lot about how the play is likely to unfold. For instance, if the pass is tight and the opponent’s setter is in the front row, you have to watch for a setter dump. If the pass is off the net, you can be almost certain that the setter isn’t going to run the middle. Also, be prepared for an overpass. If the ball is over but within a few feet of the net, go ahead and hit it. If it’s farther than a few feet off, it’s probably better to pass it. On really tight balls – when the setter is in the front row – be patient. If you interfere with the setter, the ref will call it.

8. Communicate with your back-row players. The more dialogue you can share with the people behind you, the better prepared you’ll be to block a ball. They can see what’s going on at the net better than you can, so ask them for feedback. You may be a blocker, but they are part of the defense as well. Work as a team. Your confidence as well as theirs will improve from the simple act of communication. At the more advanced levels, you might even remind each other about a hitter’s tendencies. For instance, the middle blocker may let the back-row players know that she’s going to take away the attacker’s strongest shot so they should cover the weaker shot.

Top Bottom