2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Sorry- don’t get much Twins coverage out here- is there worry/knowledge about him having a dead arm or strain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been saying for weeks now I was expecting an injury to be reported. I'm honestly surprised he's still pitching. I have no insider knowledge but I don't understand how a guy can go from being so dominant to just straight knocked around start after start unless something is wrong.

Must not be his elbow then. When Liriano's went, it was fast. Maybe it's a hurt rib or something. Can't use 100% force, but can still go out and give 85%.

With Berrios, there is a trend line showing that his performance always tails off the longer the season goes.

He's not a real big guy, and he just wears down. I saw a post from Reusse quoting an unnamed scout who said Berrios has problems with his mechanics - when he doesn't get on top of the ball, his pitches flatten out and become a lot easier to hit. Roy Smalley has also pointed out some issues with Berrios' delivery.

My thought - Berrios is known for very tough off-season workouts. I wonder if he over-does it in the off-season? Maybe he should back off on the off-season work and try to pace himself so he doesn't run out of gas in the fall. Barring that, the Twins might just have to manage his work-load - have him skip a start every couple of weeks to keep his innings down.

Either way, he is just not an "ace" pitcher. On most other contending teams, he would not be the #1 starter - might be the #2 on a couple of clubs, but on other contending teams, he would be a #3 starter. That just points out that the Twins' pitching staff is just not that strong. They might be able to hang on and win the division, or make the wild-card, but I don't like their chances in the post-season with the current starting pitching staff.

Those white uniforms might be the ugliest I've ever seen.

Twins losing to the Tigers 2-1 right now. Gibson throwing a lot of pitches.

Our middle infielders will be the death of us.

Twins losing to the Tigers 2-1 right now. Gibson throwing a lot of pitches.

They're playing very poorly so far, tonight. The hitters are making Jackson look like an all-star, Polanco made a costly error and then a costly decision on another play, and Gibson is pitching very inefficiently. He is throwing a lot of junk, and not many for strikes.

The one positive is that the Twins still have half of the game to come back.

Berrios needs a stint on the IL, even if it's just a dead arm and not a specific injury.

Berrios needs a stint on the IL, even if it's just a dead arm and not a specific injury.

I agree, give him rest and see if he can come back and pitch down the stretch like he started the season. Maybe the season is just too long for him?

The weird thing is his velocity was back up in this last start. It had been down. Not sure what is going on with him.

Cleveland might be without Ramírez the rest of the season.

Nm

Last edited:

I agree, give him rest and see if he can come back and pitch down the stretch like he started the season. Maybe the season is just too long for him?
The weird thing is his velocity was back up in this last start. It had been down. Not sure what is going on with him.
Berrios arm is fine.
On the broadcast they talked about his mechanics being off, which is causing him to miss his spots. Once September hits, expect him to have an extra day off and he can work on tightening up his fundamentals.

Had to share this - it's just too good. From an article in the Strib talking about why the Twins will sometimes leave early for a road trip, to let the players get acclimated to the new city.
some players shared their opinion - and here is this gem from Trevor May:

Trevor May, for instance, prefers home to hotels.

“I’ve always got things I want to accomplish on our off days. And my internet connection is better here,” May said, so he flew commercial to Milwaukee this month rather than go with the team. But he flew to Chicago on Sunday, he said, in order to make sure he wasn’t in the air for the release of a new video game, “World of Warcraft Classic,” on Monday night.

ya gotta luv it.

Had to share this - it's just too good. From an article in the Strib talking about why the Twins will sometimes leave early for a road trip, to let the players get acclimated to the new city.
some players shared their opinion - and here is this gem from Trevor May:

Trevor May, for instance, prefers home to hotels.

“I’ve always got things I want to accomplish on our off days. And my internet connection is better here,” May said, so he flew commercial to Milwaukee this month rather than go with the team. But he flew to Chicago on Sunday, he said, in order to make sure he wasn’t in the air for the release of a new video game, “World of Warcraft Classic,” on Monday night.

ya gotta luv it.

May is a really good follow on twitter.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

Great. Probably out for the season at this point. In hindsight, trading him for Syndergaard wasn't such a bad idea.

Buxton being out is a huge blow, both to our defense and offense. I was hoping to have him back healthy for our games against cleveland. I still think we make the play offs by wining our division but I don't see us going anywhere without Buxton...

Buxton being out is a huge blow, both to our defense and offense. I was hoping to have him back healthy for our games against cleveland. I still think we make the play offs by wining our division but I don't see us going anywhere without Buxton...

He's super dynamic that's for sure, but he is far from our best player. If we don't go anywhere in the playoffs it isn't solely because we don't have him. Cave has been hitting the ball at the same level Buxton would be over the last few weeks.

He's super dynamic that's for sure, but he is far from our best player. If we don't go anywhere in the playoffs it isn't solely because we don't have him. Cave has been hitting the ball at the same level Buxton would be over the last few weeks.

Buxton's WAR dwarfs Cave's WAR

Buxton's WAR dwarfs Cave's WAR

I know and I would rather have Buxton under every possible circumstance, but him being out won't be the reason we lose a playoff series...the Yankees and Astros are just too good to beat.

Back in mid july the twins were: 52-23 when Byron Buxton plays this season and 7-13 when he doesn’t.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-record-suffers-with-byron-buxton-injured/512919562/

I think he is that important to the team.

Yeah I know I've seen those stats. I still think we're 50-25 without him in those games. Twins were completely absurd through most of June. I could have played CF and batted 9th and they would have won more than they lost.

My point isn't that Buxton isn't important its just that with or without him isn't going to be the difference in a playoff series.

Nice sweep, but Berrios still doesn't look right.

Nice sweep, but Berrios still doesn't look right.

Yep. What is the pitching lineup going to look like in the playoffs? Berrios doesn't look right. Gibson is garbage (seriously Twins, please move on from this guy after the season). Odorizzi has definitely cooled off from his hot start. Can we really depend on Perez or Pineda against the Astros or Yankees?

Yep. What is the pitching lineup going to look like in the playoffs? Berrios doesn't look right. Gibson is garbage (seriously Twins, please move on from this guy after the season). Odorizzi has definitely cooled off from his hot start. Can we really depend on Perez or Pineda against the Astros or Yankees?

Right now Pineda is my choice for #1.

When does the magic number count start? Or is that not a thing anymore?

Right now Pineda is my choice for #1.

When does the magic number count start? Or is that not a thing anymore?

It's a thing. Just a tad arrogant to start it when you're only up 3.5 games.

Odorizzi has bounced back lately. I'd go Odo, Pineda and then Berrios. I suspect Berrios will start game 1 no matter what he does the rest of the season. Rocco's very Gardy-like in many ways.

Odorizzi has bounced back lately. I'd go Odo, Pineda and then Berrios. I suspect Berrios will start game 1 no matter what he does the rest of the season. Rocco's very Gardy-like in many ways.

Yeah Odo has bounced back some. I still just if I had to choose 1 pitcher to get me through 5 innings and into the 6th and feel confident they will only give up 2-3 runs max it would be Pineda. I don't have that confidence in anyone else.

Almost as important who are they moving to the bullpen. Perez? Have him come in in the 3rd when Berrios is getting popped?

Top Bottom