2019 MN United In-Season thread

Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the....thing?

If a player doesn't have a contract, you can sign them. A lot of leagues are between seasons during the summer, so you can sign young players from anywhere.
That's just like any free agent.

If a player has a contract, other teams can still pursue them.
An NFL example would have been Brett Favre with the Packers. Say Brett wanted to leave Green Bay and the Jets are interested, but Brett is still under contract. Brett is wanting to leave for MN, but know Green Bay won't agree. The Jets and Green Bay would work out a transfer fee where the Jets would pay X amount to take over Brett's current contract. The Jets, in this effort would also be communicating with Brett to ensure he is happy and cover any financial matters with them.

The main difference is in soccer there are so many other leagues the player can play for, so a team holding a player only has so much leverage. So at a point a player wants to leave, the club pretty much doesn't have the leverage to keep holding that player. So working out a transfer is probably the best route.

In young players, players start to climb the ladder. They start at a lower level division, and they might attract interest from a bigger league like the MLS. We want to sign that young player, but he already has a contract with some smaller team. We need to buy out that contract by agreeing to a financial number with that club.

Some clubs don't always compete well on the field, but they do an excellent job of signing players, and then developing them, and then selling them at higher prices. This allows them to invest in more players that suit their team.

In the case of our recent signing, the original club retains 30% ownership should the player be successful at MN and draw a bigger transfer fee down the road from a club from Europe or elsewhere. So if a transfer is worked out down the road for $20 million, we would get $14 million, his original club $6,000,000, and the player would get a separate contract agreement with the new club.

Currently in 2nd place, just made 3 transfers with 1 being (hopefully) absolutely huge, in the open cup final, this is awesome!

I am at best a casual soccer fan. I've watched more soccer this year with the Gold Cup, the Women's World Cup and the Loons - but my grasp of basic strategy is still rudimentary.

So - for the people who get this stuff - what do these new players add to the Loons? What can they do that the previous players were not doing?

for example - Vikes O-line needs to get better, so they draft a C and sign a Free-agent OG. Is there an equivalent explanation for what the Loons are doing with the new players?

If you are talking just the last 3 additions:

Lod at the very least will add quality depth in our midfield. Helps a lot with stretches like this week where we play saturday, wednesday, saturday.

Wilfried the hope is he's as good at LB as mentanaire is at RB. Gasper has played well being thrown into that role but Wilfried should be a good upgrade at LB and solidify our back 4 while adding attack up the left side like mentanaire on the right.

Chacon is 18 and i'd assume the hope is he's a game changing mid field talent like darwin (hopefully much better) that teams need to game plan for and account for at all times during the game. time will tell but I'm truly excited about him

In football terms if it makes it easier for you, Lod is like a back up (but could step into a starting role) line backer the team added for depth. Wilfried would be like a new number 2 CB to play opposite Xavier. Chacon would (hopefully) a game changing wide receiver or QB caliber pick up, maybe i'm getting ahead of myself with chacon, can you tell i'm excited about him?

I’d be surprised if Chacon is a regular starter this season tbh. I don’t see many 18 year olds jumping into their first big professional contract and being a game changer and the ones that do cost a whole lot more than $2-3 mil. He’s basically straight out of his academy.

Barco was 15 mil for Atlanta and it took him a year and a half to break out. I’d be happy to be wrong, but I think expectations should be taken down a notch. He’s a project with a high ceiling.

Last edited:

Yeah that's why I added the time will tell part to Chacon. I'd hope next year he's in the line up regularly. Age doesn't matter, 17-18 year olds make impacts all the time at even higher level than MLS. Toye is only 20 and he's making it hard not to be the regular starter.

Yeah that's why I added the time will tell part to Chacon. I'd hope next year he's in the line up regularly. Age doesn't matter, 17-18 year olds make impacts all the time at even higher level than MLS. Toye is only 20 and he's making it hard not to be the regular starter.

If he does, he'll shatter the MLS transfer record. Almiron's $27 mil will be chump change. We'll see.

If he does, he'll shatter the MLS transfer record. Almiron's $27 mil will be chump change. We'll see.

I don't think that's necessarily true. He can be very good by MLS standards and not get that kind of money for a transfer. I hope so though, that would be quite exciting.

That sucks we couldn't get at least a draw last night with scoring 3 goals. I know we were playing our C team but still if you score 3 you should be able to at least get a draw. Oh well, next two games at home can be huge for us. 2 opponents in the bottom half of the standings, need to win games like this.

That sucks we couldn't get at least a draw last night with scoring 3 goals. I know we were playing our C team but still if you score 3 you should be able to at least get a draw. Oh well, next two games at home can be huge for us. 2 opponents in the bottom half of the standings, need to win games like this.

I found it odd we couldn't put a bit better lineup out there.
They played Lod twice, but now he needed rest after two short appearances? He could have helped last night.
Also, Dotson was getting beat with the lack of defensive help from Alonso at midfielder.
This game was winnable and lost because of the C lineup. Could have mixed up the talent a bit more.

I found it odd we couldn't put a bit better lineup out there.
They played Lod twice, but now he needed rest after two short appearances? He could have helped last night.
Also, Dotson was getting beat with the lack of defensive help from Alonso at midfielder.
This game was winnable and lost because of the C lineup. Could have mixed up the talent a bit more.

Worst part is half way through the game he seemed to change his mind and put some of our regular starters out there (Darwin for example). If you are going to throw the game away to rest those guys then freakin rest them! I figured it would be our C line up with the wednesday/saturday home games this week. Problem is Dallas is right behind us in the standings now, winning last nights game and decreasing your chances of winning Wednesday might have been a smarter thing to do.

Worst part is half way through the game he seemed to change his mind and put some of our regular starters out there (Darwin for example). If you are going to throw the game away to rest those guys then freakin rest them! I figured it would be our C line up with the wednesday/saturday home games this week. Problem is Dallas is right behind us in the standings now, winning last nights game and decreasing your chances of winning Wednesday might have been a smarter thing to do.

I thought the subs were an odd mix. Ohnsberg was listed.
I was surprised we still had Manley. He had a rough night as well.

Our defense evidently really suffers when you take out Alonso and Opara.
Dotson couldn't handle his side well last night and help from the midfielder wasn't there.

Future is still very bright with Dotson however.

I thought the subs were an odd mix. Ohnsberg was listed.
I was surprised we still had Manley. He had a rough night as well.

Our defense evidently really suffers when you take out Alonso and Opara.
Dotson couldn't handle his side well last night and help from the midfielder wasn't there.

Future is still very bright with Dotson however.

Agree on Dotson, his offense skills area already off the chart. He can learn positioning and defense better with time. Ike is the anchor of our defense without him out there they always struggle. Combine that with no Alonso and it's even worse. I also think Gregus is important for our defense and needs mentioning he wasn't in last night either.

Dominating possession so far

Got the W even if they missed some chances. Back into second place for the time being. Nine more games to go! Gotta shoot for a home playoff game!

Last edited:

Got the W even if they missed some chances. Back into second place for the time being. Nine more games to go! Gotta shoot for a home playoff game!

I'll take it, we missed so many text book easy opportunities... Will need to make those in the play offs against better teams. What a beautiful night for a game and it was cool having the gopher football team there but they must have gotten bored since they spent a lot of time trying to start the wave...

For those few of us still on Dish (yes, I'll be dropping them soon) where they've cut FSN coverage, what other options do I have for watching the games on TV?

... and why are we still playing Danladi? He's constantly out of position and doesn't have any touch on the ball. I'd just as soon bring up Don Smart and give him a shot.

... and why are we still playing Danladi? He's constantly out of position and doesn't have any touch on the ball. I'd just as soon bring up Don Smart and give him a shot.

All our subs last night were for speed basically. They probably want to save Rodriguez since there is another game Saturday and I don't think Toye was available since he decided to spit on a dude in the last game.... Put Danladi in and let him run for 20 minutes, his header was closer than rodriguez's with similar difficulty....

All our subs last night were for speed basically. They probably want to save Rodriguez since there is another game Saturday and I don't think Toye was available since he decided to spit on a dude in the last game.... Put Danladi in and let him run for 20 minutes, his header was closer than rodriguez's with similar difficulty....

I'd just as soon send Danladi back down and give Smart a shot. I don't see any improvement in Danladi's game.

I'd just as soon send Danladi back down and give Smart a shot. I don't see any improvement in Danladi's game.

I don't disagree, for a large chunk of the season we experimented with him out of position though. That doesn't exactly help your development. In any case, Toye has come on as the clear #2 if not fighting for the #1 spot up top which has left Danladi riding the bench or as a depth spot when we have a lot of games back to back. Also not exaclty helping his development.

For those few of us still on Dish (yes, I'll be dropping them soon) where they've cut FSN coverage, what other options do I have for watching the games on TV?

I've been burning through free trials - YouTube TV gets you a week, Hulu gets you a week, I dunno about Fubo but they'd have it too. Once those run out I'm dropping Sling.

Last night was a home game, you should have gone to the game. I kid I kid. Is there a BWW near you? Or whatever bar has TVs?

I use Playstation Vue, but if you just want the Loons, a ESPN+ membership might give you the coverage you need, otherwise a sling package.

Last night was a home game, you should have gone to the game. I kid I kid. Is there a BWW near you? Or whatever bar has TVs?
\

I split a pair of season tickets with someone else, so I only get to every other game...

Top Bottom