All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

Jalen Johnson, who the Gophers offered but never had a shot, became the latest in-state wisconsin kid to leave the state:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Jalen Johnson, who the Gophers offered but never had a shot, became the latest in-state wisconsin kid to leave the state:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Most of the top kid in any state will not stay home to play for the state school. Usually not a big deal , especially if they are not a one and done.

Nothing wrong with under the radar guys. If they can defend and they fit what you want to do offensively you can coach them up. Just have to have a plan

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Another example of a overlooked player i really like. Saw him this spring and he is the kind of player that keeps getting better, plays smart and tough. You can win with guys like that.

So, are you saying that Pitino’s staff is getting an eye for diamonds in the rough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, are you saying that Pitino’s staff is getting an eye for diamonds in the rough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have signed several over the years but have yet to produce a championship team of meaning. It takes more than diamonds in the rough but i tip the hat for something well done.

And neither will be a gopher. Sounds like Suggs is a lock to play at Gonzaga, Garcia is getting blue blood offers, Richard has yet to offer Crowl, all the equals yuck for Minnesota.

We are always going to have to sweat these decisions out. So far we have only lost the Dainja one and it sounds as though he could not have gotten into the U anyway. Hang in there or start rooting for a team like Duke that gets whoever they want. As a Gopher fan, just enjoy the challenge and make college basketball fun for yourself as opposed to a summer long bum out over things that haven't happened yet. Recruiting to Minnesota isn't easy, ask the Timberwolves, they can't do it even with money.

It's Crowl. Why the Gopher have not offer is bizarre.

Maybe they do not like him as much as Reuvers whom many Gopher fans do not think is very good. Perhaps they like other prospects that are a better fit. Who knows, perhaps they will offer today.

Not to worried I think he's ours if we offer, the relationship is there, recruiting doesn't begin with an offer. Team wants to see him live

Maybe they do not like him as much as Reuvers whom many Gopher fans do not think is very good. Perhaps they like other prospects that are a better fit. Who knows, perhaps they will offer today.

Most gopher fans I know wanted Reuvers.

But we had 0 shot at him.

Most gopher fans I know wanted Reuvers.

But we had 0 shot at him.
Yes and no. Fans wanted him, I think prioritized Dims and John and that didn't sit well with Reuvers. Kind of surprised Notre Dame didn't offer him, that was his dream school

Yes and no. Fans wanted him, I think prioritized Dims and John and that didn't sit well with Reuvers. Kind of surprised Notre Dame didn't offer him, that was his dream school

Something funky with Lakeville North bball kids and the U as well. Struggle to land them in football as well. Gophers offered Reuvers, but he knew they preferred Sims (most schools did) and probably John over him. Truthfully one could argue who was better statistically between John and Reuvers. John had more rebounds, blocks and only after 2 less points per game while averaging 2 minutes less per game. Now that being said I think Reuvers steps up this year and is a double digit scorer, but last year the difference wasn't crazy far off statistically.

I think with a Minnesota kid, if you offer him, you better be prepared to take him if he accepts right away. You can't give a conditional offer or you burn bridges. I don't think it is bizarre, I think it is a sign that they believe they are in good shape with even better fits for the program. As it stands we may only have three schollys to give so they are valuable. From the sound of it, Gophers are solidly on at least 10-11 guys' lists.

I think with a Minnesota kid, if you offer him, you better be prepared to take him if he accepts right away. You can't give a conditional offer or you burn bridges. I don't think it is bizarre, I think it is a sign that they believe they are in good shape with even better fits for the program. As it stands we may only have three schollys to give so they are valuable. From the sound of it, Gophers are solidly on at least 10-11 guys' lists.

to me, an offer is an offer. You offer, the kid says "yes," and you take him.

That's the challenge with making offers. you can offer every kid in the country, but you'd better mean it. Let's say - you have 3 schollys open, and you rank your targets from 1 to 10. so you offer all 10 guys, and the guys you have ranked #8, #9 and #10 all say "yes." If you honor your word and take them, then you have lost out on your top 7 targets. Obviously, you might have a better or more realistic chance of landing kids who are lower on the list - but if you would really rather have Kid A than Kid B, then don't offer Kid B - at least not unit Kid A makes up his mind. If Kid B really likes you, he might be willing to wait - or might have fewer options.

to me, an offer is an offer. You offer, the kid says "yes," and you take him.

That's the challenge with making offers. you can offer every kid in the country, but you'd better mean it. Let's say - you have 3 schollys open, and you rank your targets from 1 to 10. so you offer all 10 guys, and the guys you have ranked #8, #9 and #10 all say "yes." If you honor your word and take them, then you have lost out on your top 7 targets. Obviously, you might have a better or more realistic chance of landing kids who are lower on the list - but if you would really rather have Kid A than Kid B, then don't offer Kid B - at least not unit Kid A makes up his mind. If Kid B really likes you, he might be willing to wait - or might have fewer options.

Yep.

Because they haven't gotten to see him play live this summer which is when he has shown a noticeable jump in level of play. The new recruiting schedule limits the viewing periods to just a few weekends during the summer now. Crowl's team wasn't at the Gopher team camp as their coaches chose to go to Wisconsin. Crowl was on vacation during the MBCA camp so the Gophers couldn't see him there either. He has visited a couple times and I'm sure it has been well communicated that the Gophers will be watching this weekend and then they can decide about an offer.

Because they haven't gotten to see him play live this summer which is when he has shown a noticeable jump in level of play. The new recruiting schedule limits the viewing periods to just a few weekends during the summer now. Crowl's team wasn't at the Gopher team camp as their coaches chose to go to Wisconsin. Crowl was on vacation during the MBCA camp so the Gophers couldn't see him there either. He has visited a couple times and I'm sure it has been well communicated that the Gophers will be watching this weekend and then they can decide about an offer.

Awesome post ! Thanks for doing the research to find explanations.

STrib: Richard Pitino's Gophers recruiting could benefit from extremely deep in-state 2020 class

With college basketball’s most critical recruiting period approaching, Gophers coach Richard Pitino had a clear message for Rochester Mayo’s Gabe Madsen during an unofficial visit last month.

“He told me they needed someone in the 2020 class to get the committing started,” the 6-6 Madsen said. “He just wanted me to be that guy to kick it off.”

Minnesota’s in-state crop for 2020 is so deep, the Gophers barely knew Madsen before he stood out at one of their team camps in mid-June. When Madsen received his scholarship offer that weekend, that made it six in-state players with Gophers offers, just in this class.

July is a critical month for Pitino’s Gophers, who have several local 2020 targets like Madsen they will track around the country starting this week. When the dust settles during the busiest basketball recruiting period of the year, the Gophers should be able to tap into a talent pool that is arguably the state’s deepest in more than a decade.

No longer just a hockey hotbed, Minnesota could have 20-plus players sign with Division I hoops programs in the 2020 class, the most since 2009, according to Prep Hoops national recruiting analyst Ryan James.

“We have four kids ranked in the national top-100 and seven kids with high-major offers who are ranked in multiple top-200 lists nationally,” James said. “It’s been a long time if ever that Minnesota has been that deep.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...extremely-deep-in-state-2020-class/512550602/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Eight big names

Ben Carlson 6-9 PF East Ridge: One of the state’s top rebounders, Carlson has most of the Big Ten after him, but Stanford is trying hard to lure him.

Steven Crowl 6-11 C Eastview: Relatively unknown nationally before a breakout spring as a highly-skilled big man for D1 Minnesota’s AAU program.

Dain Dainja 6-9 PF Park Center: His father, Dana Jackson, played for the Gophers, but Dainja decided last month to take his powerful post game to Baylor.

Dawson Garcia 6-11 PF Prior Lake: Garcia’s three-point range and mobility for his height has blue bloods looking at Minnesota again, one class after Duke signed Matthew Hurt.

Gabe Madsen 6-6 SG Rochester Mayo: Flashy scorer exploded for 53 points and 12 threes in a game last season. He recently picked up a Gopher offer.

Mason Madsen 6-3 PG Rochester Mayo: His twin brother, Gabe, has bigger offers, but Mason’s steady play might make some high majors offer them both.

Jalen Suggs 6-4 PG Minnehaha Academy: Two-sport standout and one of the state’s best athletes ever is leaning toward deciding in August to possibly stick with college hoops.

Kerwin Walton 6-5 SG Hopkins: Three-point shooting and defense are his specialties, which earned him offers from the Big Ten, Big East and Pac-12.

http://www.startribune.com/get-to-know-the-minnesotans-of-the-2020-class/512565352/

Go Gophers!!

I saw a tweet that we are after Jamal Mashburn, Jr. Is he realistic? I haven't seen a thread on him here.

Top Bottom