Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

This class is going to fill up quickly from here. 14 official visitors this weekend, 4 more on Tuesday. Fleck is going to want it pretty much wrapped up in 6 weeks before fall camp starts.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully we’ll see some success in the battles with the big boys for kids that are thought to be top talent. The class so far is more in line with that seen from prior regimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

3rd commitment today:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

4th commitment tonight:

Go Gophers!!

Love to see them get Jackson and Martinez too!

Go Gophers!!

If early returns are any indication, it looks like Rod Chance was a fantastic hire at least from a recruiting standpoint !

Fast and furious. Will be interesting to see where this class lands when the dust settles.

Class seems kind of heavy on DB's, but I guess when you need to play 5 on most plays now you probably need to have at least 8 on the roster at all times that you feel good about. It will be interesting to see if Witt gets back in the boat with the DE commits this week. Dixon and Kreuder seem like the real deal in terms of athletic testing and everyone else who committed this week seems to have at least one really good offer if not multiple offers with the exception of the OT Ersery who only had Kansas and Kansas State. From what I had heard earlier this off season, this is really light year for Offensive Tackle prospects so even if he's a reach it could be an understandable one (and he's rated higher than a lot of our commits with better offers for those how prefer ratings to offers).

Fast and furious. Will be interesting to see where this class lands when the dust settles.

More importantly, can we hold onto to these commits all the way to early NSD? Will Aaron Witt reconsider, or is he a far gone conclusion? I get it that he committed early and is looking into Iowa and Iowa State with their strong pull. But, we'd like to have him play for his home state team.

Class seems kind of heavy on DB's, but I guess when you need to play 5 on most plays now you probably need to have at least 8 on the roster at all times that you feel good about. It will be interesting to see if Witt gets back in the boat with the DE commits this week. Dixon and Kreuder seem like the real deal in terms of athletic testing and everyone else who committed this week seems to have at least one really good offer if not multiple offers with the exception of the OT Ersery who only had Kansas and Kansas State. From what I had heard earlier this off season, this is really light year for Offensive Tackle prospects so even if he's a reach it could be an understandable one (and he's rated higher than a lot of our commits with better offers for those how prefer ratings to offers).

The staff loves Ersery, in no way was he a reach. Most of his film has been at DE in high school as that’s been his primary position. He’s not fast enough to be a P5 DE, but moves really well for an OT.

More importantly, can we hold onto to these commits all the way to early NSD? Will Aaron Witt reconsider, or is he a far gone conclusion? I get it that he committed early and is looking into Iowa and Iowa State with their strong pull. But, we'd like to have him play for his home state team.

The staff wants kids that want to be Gophers. For better or worse, they aren’t going to wait on players that are undecided. They will find someone else. This class will be wrapped up shortly and I doubt Witt will be a part of it.

I will be honest and tell you I have no idea if any of these kids will be good but man we have some BIG kids coming in. Looks like all the OL recruits are at least 6'5, most of the DB recruits are over 6' plus sprinkle in some other 6'4 guys at other spots. Add them to the size we already have and we are at a minimum going to look the part on the field!

I hope the Gophers can land the WR that is visiting next weekend - Itayvion Brown. Great offer list, good height.

I hope the Gophers can land the WR that is visiting next weekend - Itayvion Brown. Great offer list, good height.

He's being recruited as an OLB. Too big already for WR, but extremely athletic. Would be one of the headliners for the class. We're sitting in a pretty good spot as he attends the same high school that D'Vion Harris went to.

He's being recruited as an OLB. Too big already for WR, but extremely athletic. Would be one of the headliners for the class. We're sitting in a pretty good spot as he attends the same high school that D'Vion Harris went to.

Yes, outside linebacker. We need some recruits at the linebacking position as Coughlin, Barber, and Martin are going to graduate this year.

Last edited:

I thought Witt would be a possible re-comitt, but I don't think the staff cares anymore. The two guys they've already gotten are probably just as good if not better.

Also, they have some stud d-line talent visiting tomorrow.

Yes, outside linebacker. We need some recruits at the linebacking position as Coughlin, Barber, and Martin are going to graduate this year.

Yep, he can either come here and have a great chance to start as a freshman, or go to LSU, Florida St, etc., sit on the bench for a few years, and hope he doesn’t get bumped by a 5 star recruit before he graduates.

Last edited:

Seems like Gophs are at or just above the overall scholarship limit of 85. Looking at the current scholarship list, I don't see many, if any, coming off the list to make more room.

Can anyone confirm?

Seems like Gophs are at or just above the overall scholarship limit of 85. Looking at the current scholarship list, I don't see many, if any, coming off the list to make more room.

Can anyone confirm?

They just got their 15th commit. I'm hearing they will take around 22 total.

Yep, he can either come here and have a great chance to start as a freshman, or go to LSU, Florida St, etc., sit on the bench for a few years, and hope he doesn’t get bumped by a 5 star recruit before he graduates.

We’re better than Florida St. Probably would take him longer to start here.

Can anyone confirm?

I am wondering about the same thing. I thought this was going to be a small class. The only thing that I can think of is someone is voluntarily giving up their scholarship. Is that even possible?

Futhermore, This class have no 4-Star commits. Does PJ Fleck have difficulty landing 4-Star recruits and is looking at 3-Star at developmental/hidden gem players instead?

Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, and Wisconsin all have at least 1 4-Star commits, and their average rating is 86 or higher. The Gophers are at 84.78 average rating. That is last place for B1G West for average ratings. Should we start to be concerned?

Nebraska 93.76 Avg Rating, 70.70 Pts, 3 commits
Wisconsin 88.09 Avg Rating, 146.6 Pts, 9 commits
Illinois 87.55 Avg Rating, 52.18 Pts, 3 commits
Purdue 87.04 Avg Rating, 82.53 Pts, 5 commits
Iowa 87.03 Avg Rating, 172.55 Pts, 13 commits
Northwestern 86.22 Avg Rating, 168.66 Pts, 13 commits
Minnesota 84.78 Avg Rating, 161.22 Pts, 15 commits

IMHO, I'd like to see and Average Rating of 86, and 200 Points.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Last edited:

They just got their 15th commit. I'm hearing they will take around 22 total.

Yes, and that put them right at 85, if my numbers are correct. A class of 22 means they will need to clear 7 more scholarships in addition to the 12 they will get from the seniors. Attrition from RS juniors graduating will open some...

Top Bottom