Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Stay in the draft

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Go play in Europe

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Today is the day! He eithers returns or goes on his merry way.

He has a workout with the Kings scheduled for today and will still have time to return after that is over. Personally, I'd be hesitant to make my decision based on the Kings scouting team so let's hope that's not the case.

Holding out for Amir's return, as I think it's the best thing for him!

He wouldn’t just leave the draft to go to Europe. He’d stay in the draft and if undrafted could get tryouts in Europe. This poll should have two answers

STrib: Amir Coffey reaches decision day: Gophers or NBA?

Will Amir Coffey return to the Gophers for his senior season or officially turn pro with hopes of being picked in June’s NBA draft?

Coffey’s decision could heavily shape the expectations for Minnesota’s 2019-20 Big Ten season. The guard is expected to participate in a workout with the Sacramento Kings early Wednesday afternoon, but the deadline for non-seniors to remove their name from the draft is Wednesday at 10:59 p.m. (Central).

The 6-8 former Hopkins standout earned All-Big Ten honors and led the Gophers to the NCAA tournament second round in March. Coffey declared early for the draft in April to pursue his NBA dreams.

“It’s all about what’s best for Amir,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said last week. “If he has an opportunity to change his life, we’ve got to support that.”

During a breakout junior season, Coffey averaged 16.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists. In his last eight games, Coffey took his game to an elite level with averages of 23.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals.

Coffey participated in the NBA G League Elite Camp earlier this month in Chicago. That didn’t lead to an NBA combine invite, but he has worked out with nearly a dozen NBA teams. The general feedback Coffey received from NBA personnel so far is he could go from the 45th pick to undrafted June 20.

If Coffey returns, the Gophers would have three starters back from a 22-win team, including sophomores-to-be Gabe Kalscheur and Daniel Oturu.

“Hopefully, he gets as much information as possible and makes a great decision,” Pitino said. “If he does come back, I really do believe it could be one of our best seasons since I’ve been here.”

http://www.startribune.com/amir-coffey-reaches-decision-day-gophers-or-nba/510525732/

Go Gophers!!

Logic says he should return (from all of the pre-draft rankings) but, as Minnesota fans (of all sports) we expect the wort to happen, so he'll probably end up staying in the draft, fail to get drafted, and end up playing in some lame outpost of the former Soviet Union ending in -stan.

Logic says he should return (from all of the pre-draft rankings) but, as Minnesota fans (of all sports) we expect the wort to happen, so he'll probably end up staying in the draft, fail to get drafted, and end up playing in some lame outpost of the former Soviet Union ending in -stan.

I can think of no better outpost to play in than one ending in -stan.

HA this is so spot on! Excellent post #MNSports

I’d like him to come back and make a run with this team next year, but if he leaves I’ll enjoy a bunch of grown adults losing their minds over a 21 year old.

Funny that we pay all this money to Rivals to subscribe and they cant tell us if he's staying?

What about the Gophers writers? They get paid big money but not a peep out of them.

I can think of no better outpost to play in than one ending in -stan.

I call for an immediate end to any comments that are considered derogatory towards -stan.

I call for an immediate end to any comments that are considered derogatory towards -stan.

Thank you! And I now take back everything negative I said about Tubby as it relates to the Gophers' mid 2000 years.

Funny that we pay all this money to Rivals to subscribe and they cant tell us if he's staying?

What about the Gophers writers? They get paid big money but not a peep out of them.

All Minnesota sports writers are writing their "I Knew the Twins couldn't sustain this success all along!" pieces.

All Minnesota sports writers are writing their "I Knew the Twins couldn't sustain this success all along!" pieces.

It's like when they write obituaries ahead of time.

The 3 Indiana guys all returning next season

That leaves Coffey, Lamar Stevens, and Anthony Cowan Jr. as the only Big Ten players yet to announce their intentions.

To recap - there were rumors that Coffey didn't get along with Pitino. The Coffey family tried to de-bunk those rumors.

But, I suspect the truth is not so black and white. If Coffey stays in the draft, and winds up going late 2nd round, or un-drafted, that would seem to indicate that he either
A. completely misjudged his pro prospects
B. got some really bad advice, or
C. just flat out did not want to play for MN anymore.

If I had to guess, right now I would go with B. or C.

Always hard to know for sure who is in the kid's ear, and what their agenda is.

But, If I had to bet my own money, I would say Coffey is not coming back to MN.

On the Power Trip this morning they said that he was being project anywhere from 46th to undrafted. If 46th is your highest projection based upon pre-draft workouts....do you roll the dice considering the undrafted projections? That's a pretty small window.

On the Power Trip this morning they said that he was being project anywhere from 46th to undrafted. If 46th is your highest projection based upon pre-draft workouts....do you roll the dice considering the undrafted projections? That's a pretty small window.

The analysis for Coffey shouldn't be "is 46 worth it?" The question should be "what are the chances that he improves his stock next year?" Then you balance that percentage against the percentage he hits his stock, and the loss of a year in a system. It's a down year for the NBA draft this year, so there are likely more opportunities across the board (2nd round, G League, Europe, etc.).

For as little as it's worth, I was told that he wouldn't be back next year months ago. So I always assumed he'd be gone. I hope I'm wrong.

It's probably a bit more complicated. I'm sure throughout this process he's getting feedback on his draft prospects this year and if he goes back for another year. If his NBA draft prospects aren't likely to improve due to /FACTORS then his decision really comes down to what he views as his future. If his future is in Europe or earning a spot through the G-League he might as well go now and start earning money.

I'm sure where he's at with his degree is an important factor too.

He's had injuries, go for the $$$

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

He's had injuries, go for the $$$

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It is $ in this case. Not $$$. If you get injured in anonymity playing for $ you might as well get injured in the limelight of college basketball and play for some glory.

It is $ in this case. Not $$$. If you get injured in anonymity playing for $ you might as well get injured in the limelight of college basketball and play for some glory.

I dunno, I think Coffey could probably get $$ overseas. Don’t shortchange the guy.

I dunno, I think Coffey could probably get $$ overseas. Don’t shortchange the guy.

He could. I don't know the answer to this one...but isn't it kind of rare for a guy to go to Europe and return to the NBA? It would seem that the $ G league gives a better shot at the NBA. Maybe that is just my perception.

He could. I don't know the answer to this one...but isn't it kind of rare for a guy to go to Europe and return to the NBA? It would seem that the $ G league gives a better shot at the NBA. Maybe that is just my perception.

I was making a joke. The one guy said he should go make $$$, you said it would be $ instead. I went with $$. Yeah, I don’t think he’d come back to the NBA, just that he could make decent money playing ball overseas.

Jeff Goodman posted this time yesterday that he heard Coffey was 50-50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Goodman posted this time yesterday that he heard Coffey was 50-50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably because he wanted to wait until he got feedback from his Kings workout. If they lead him to believe he will get drafted, he will probably remain in the draft, otherwise I'd bet he's coming back.

Why does he need to come back to the NBA? Mbakwe is rolling in money and he has never come close to returning to the US.

Why does he need to come back to the NBA? Mbakwe is rolling in money and he has never come close to returning to the US.

Coffey has said on more than 1 occasion that he wants to play in the NBA...…..of course he doesn't need to....but I think bga1 is saying in his opinion if that is truly Coffey's goal then he thinks going the G-league route is better than going to Europe

Top Bottom