***ALL THINGS JALEN SUGGS THREAD*** UPDATED 9/22: Gophers Offer Scholarship

Duke got a commitment from 5* Jeremy Roach 2020 PG.

Guess Suggs would pass on Duke now?

Probably means Kentucky goes harder after Suggs now though. The Zags still seem to be the team to beat.

Probably means Kentucky goes harder after Suggs now though. The Zags still seem to be the team to beat.

Gonzaga seems to be a really curious leader for Suggs. They're undoubtedly a blueblood program, but Spokane isn't a natural geographical fit for a kid from the Twin Cities, they're mostly dark on the West Coast (in a non-P6 league) when it comes to the spotlight (until the tournament), and frankly the program under Few hasn't been cranking out NBA players, especially guards, especially one-and-dones. Not denying Suggs' own words that they're a leading contender right now, but I just can't figure out why.

Gonzaga seems to be a really curious leader for Suggs. They're undoubtedly a blueblood program, but Spokane isn't a natural geographical fit for a kid from the Twin Cities, they're mostly dark on the West Coast (in a non-P6 league) when it comes to the spotlight (until the tournament), and frankly the program under Few hasn't been cranking out NBA players, especially guards, especially one-and-dones. Not denying Suggs' own words that they're a leading contender right now, but I just can't figure out why.

This is a kid who went to Minnehaha who could have gone to Hopkins or any number of places he would get more attention and daily competition. Others have said he operates differently than a lot of other big time players. The Spokane thing doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

This is a kid who went to Minnehaha who could have gone to Hopkins or any number of places he would get more attention and daily competition. Others have said he operates differently than a lot of other big time players. The Spokane thing doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

Great post. No one should under sell the spiritual component to the Gonzaga experience. Note , i did not say religious. Furthermore, Few is a incredible guy and a great teacher. The NBA track is a really bad sell for us.

Theres no way Suggs goes to kentucky, zero chance there. Him and his family hate coach Cal, Suggs isnt looking for a blue blood he just wants the best fit which is why Gonzaga seems to be a favorite of his.

Would sure love to see Jalen commit to the Gophers early and keep the positive momentum from spring signings going. Chet could follow up and they could grown and win together before going pro.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

KSTP: Minnehaha Academy foursome provide recruiting updates

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allow="autoplay; fullscreen" src="https://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/v3/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

College basketball and football coaches don't need directions on how to get to Minnehaha Academy. The high school has multiple upper-level college recruits in both sports.

KSTP Sports' Darren Wolfson caught up with four of the players: juniors Jalen Suggs and Kaden Johnson, sophomore Chet Holmgren, and freshman Prince Aligbe.

Suggs has many football and basketball offers. He was recently invited to the pretigious NBA Players Association camp, and will once again play for Team USA this summer. Suggs has taken one official basketball recruiting trip and that was to see Gonzaga. The Gophers, among many programs, are recruiting him heavily.

Johnson is the state's top-ranked football recruit in the 2020 Class. Able to play linebacker and tight end, he holds many offers, including from the Gophers. Johnson told us that he'll spend time with Gophers coach P.J. Fleck on Monday.

Holmgren is one of the top basketball players in the country in the 2021 Class. Nearly 7-feet tall, Holmgren has guard skills. The Gophers and many others have offered him. Holmgren's dad, Dave, played for the Gophers.

Aligbe was recently offered by the Gophers, Missouri, and others. Like Holmgren and Suggs are in their respective classes, Aligbe is one of the top players in the country in the 2022 Class.

https://kstp.com/sports/minnehaha-j...ren-prince-aligbe-recruiting-gophers/5360139/

Go Gophers!!

Good to see Jalen have some knowledge of our recruiting situation...obviously he knows about Tre but mentioning grad transfers etc. shows that he's paying attention.

Good to see Jalen have some knowledge of our recruiting situation...obviously he knows about Tre but mentioning grad transfers etc. shows that he's paying attention.

Seems like a really sharp kid. He gave good, honest and very insightful answers to all of those questions. Usually, news programs ask a bunch of questions and just edit in the good answers over their own commentary. And he seems like an animal on the court...

I've said this on here before, but Suggs is just different than past 5 star guys out of MN. Just have a good feeling about him wanting to stay home. And maybe he won't pick the Gophers, but I also don't think he is the type to go out of his way to team up with his 5 star AAU buddies at Duke. Doesn't seem like he cares much for the prestige and national spotlight of it all. His strong interest in Gonzaga is evidence of that. Think he's looking for the right coach with the right system and a community that will appreciate him.

Ryan James just tweeted a Zagsblog link in which Jalen Suggs mentions Gonzaga, Marquette, and Minnesota as front runners in his recruitment, with Iowa, Iowa State, and Michigan still involved.

Mark this down in the "No kidding!" category but I really think if we somehow got Suggs to commit it would be HUGE. Not only would it possibly link him up with other '20 kids who see the super star of the class stay but he also has a few teammates in Holmgren and Aligbe who could possibly start a nice little pipeline from Minnehaha. Now again you can say this for any 4-5* guy im sure but even Suggs feels a little different.

Mark this down in the "No kidding!" category but I really think if we somehow got Suggs to commit it would be HUGE. Not only would it possibly link him up with other '20 kids who see the super star of the class stay but he also has a few teammates in Holmgren and Aligbe who could possibly start a nice little pipeline from Minnehaha. Now again you can say this for any 4-5* guy im sure but even Suggs feels a little different.

No kidding!

Go Gophers!!

“I would say it’s between Gonzaga, Minnesota and Marquette,” said Suggs. “I think those are the three frontrunners. Those are the three schools that I’m closest with and have some of the best relationships with.”

However, Suggs isn’t quite ready to cut his list down just yet.

“There are some other ones involved,” he said. “Michigan is emerging. I’ve talked to coach Juwan Howard a lot lately. Iowa and Iowa State are still in the mix. They’ve been in my recruitment, pretty much ever since my seventh grade year. So, we’ll see.”

In terms of visits, Suggs is working to plan an official to Gonzaga with commits Dominick Harris and Julian Strawther.

“We’re trying to find the dates for that,” he said. “Nothing set right now.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/06/18/jalen-suggs-names-three-frontrunners-in-his-recruitment/

Go Gophers!!

Major upset if we beat out Mark Few.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#HomeStatePatOnTheHead

I'd be a lot more pessimistic if his top 3 was something like Duke, Kentucky, and us. The fact that he listed Marquette too shows that he's not just interested in the blue bloods like some other big time recruits. I think Gonzaga is the team to beat, but I don't think we're completely out of it.

I have a feeling he’s going to end up at a U of M.

I have a feeling he’s going to end up at a U of M.

I get that he has mentioned Juwan Howard, but I just can't see U of M making up that much ground on Suggs' recruitment.

Oh, wait, you meant the good U of M?! I like.

Go Gophers!!

I get that he has mentioned Juwan Howard, but I just can't see U of M making up that much ground on Suggs' recruitment.

Oh, wait, you meant the good U of M?! I like.

Go Gophers!!

Or the U of M (Marquette). I’m playing the odds.

I'd be a lot more pessimistic if his top 3 was something like Duke, Kentucky, and us. The fact that he listed Marquette too shows that he's not just interested in the blue bloods like some other big time recruits. I think Gonzaga is the team to beat, but I don't think we're completely out of it.

I agree completely. I don't think that was a lip service comment based on who the other two frontrunners are. With Tyus, Tre, Trent, Vaughn and Hurt, Duke, Kansas, UK, UNC etc. were all in contention and it felt like we had no realistic chance against them. It's definitely much easier to believe we have a real shot with a local recruit who has Gonzaga and Marquette in his finalists as opposes to other other schools I listed.

I'll always remember when we beat Purdue and Pitino, Murphy and Dupree all gave speeches at the end and Suggs was standing up, clapping, smiling and looked like he really enjoyed that moment.

I think that was the first and only time I've ever seen a recruit at a game actually clap and stand up when the gophers have success. Most if not all other recruits that I've seen usually just watch with a blank face in an unbiased fashion.

Top Bottom