Spring recruits/transfers only thread.

Right to the moon, Alice...right to the moon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do we think odds are Ihnen commits this weekend?

I think he is visiting TCU this week as well? his official for MN starts on Sunday. Havent heard of any other visits set up. I would like to say odds are good? but I hope that's not just wishful thinking

I think he is visiting TCU this week as well? his official for MN starts on Sunday. Havent heard of any other visits set up. I would like to say odds are good? but I hope that's not just wishful thinking

Had another one with Tennessee that he canceled. Looks like us and TCU only, for now. Hopefully the German education doesn't create admission issues in transcript translation and interpretation.

Had another one with Tennessee that he canceled. Looks like us and TCU only, for now. Hopefully the German education doesn't create admission issues in transcript translation and interpretation.

I sure hope we can land him. But I really think Demir is more important due to our serious lack of depth in the frontcourt next year. Getting both would be a nice weekend. Do we know when Ihnen is visiting TCU? He's here on Sunday if I remember correctly.

There are services that do that for international students (translate and explain the equivalences for English speaking audiences). There are somewhere between a million and two million international college students in this country so this is an in-demand service. US universities would be in serious trouble without internationals.

Every German college student I've met speaks very good English so I'm guessing he doesn't have language problems.

Take him to the Black Forest for Schnitzel. Done

What is the general take on Ihnen? Immediate impact kind of player?

my take on him is clearly he has some high upside but its raw. best case, if we are able to get him, is for Coffey to come back and also find a grad transfer PF. Ihnen wouldn't be counted on to do much for this next season. Probably like an Omersa type role at the 3 & 4, 5-8 minutes a game. Ease him into things. But by his 2nd/3rd years I think he could be a very solid big ten player.

Every German college student I've met speaks very good English so I'm guessing he doesn't have language problems.

Yep. Pretty much every German kid growns up learning English in school these days so this won't be an issue for Ihnen. Germany is one of the few countries where there won't be much of a language barrier for a college kid coming over here (plus Holland, Norway, Sweden etc)

I sure hope we can land him. But I really think Demir is more important due to our serious lack of depth in the frontcourt next year. Getting both would be a nice weekend. Do we know when Ihnen is visiting TCU? He's here on Sunday if I remember correctly.

He started his TCU visit yesterday the way it looks.
And yes his MN visit starts Sunday

Thoughts n keeping a scholarship open into June? I think the coaches vote in June on letting players transfer and not sit out if a coach leaves. Add to that a lot of nba draft early entrants who may decide to return to school (ie, Amir, Derrik Smith)

Thoughts n keeping a scholarship open into June? I think the coaches vote in June on letting players transfer and not sit out if a coach leaves. Add to that a lot of nba draft early entrants who may decide to return to school (ie, Amir, Derrik Smith)

We will be keeping Coffeys scholly open....so if he decides to leave for sure...we would have a scholly available....

Scholarship Open

We will be keeping Coffeys scholly open....so if he decides to leave for sure...we would have a scholly available....

2019 Available Scholarships: 5 (Murphy, McBrayer, Stockman, Stultz, Washington)
2019 Commitments: 2 (Williams, Freeman)

I think the program needs to secure a couple commitments before we start worrying about keeping scholarships open.

my take on him is clearly he has some high upside but its raw. best case, if we are able to get him, is for Coffey to come back and also find a grad transfer PF. Ihnen wouldn't be counted on to do much for this next season. Probably like an Omersa type role at the 3 & 4, 5-8 minutes a game. Ease him into things. But by his 2nd/3rd years I think he could be a very solid big ten player.

very reasonable take. Lots of people think he'll be starting right away. He is raw.

If Ihnen has the mental side: Grades, Work Ethic, Stays our of Trouble, Willing to play Defense.

He will get plenty of court time.

I obviously am over excited about this one recruit. Hope we land him.

Has size and athleticism to be special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the general take on Ihnen? Immediate impact kind of player?

The skills and athletic ability is there no question. He is 6'9" with 7'4" wingspan, he has a high release on his shot, and the best part is he shoots well with someone in his face; those three attributes means you have what it takes to hit a lot of 3's in the B10. Another thing that I have seen is he can be running away from hoop and still go up and hit 3's, this is very tough to do, especially someone of his size. He can handle the ball and attack the rim.

Questions I have: The competition he was playing against was not great; will he be able to quickly adjust to the difference he will see in NCAA? Some do some don't. Defensively how good is he? I have not seen much video with his defense and again even if I had, the competition wouldn't make me confident in the assessment. If he's a sieve, he's not going to play a lot.

Huge upside on Ihnen. How fast he can adjust and if he can play D will determine his impact.

2019 Available Scholarships: 5 (Murphy, McBrayer, Stockman, Stultz, Washington)
2019 Commitments: 2 (Williams, Freeman)

I think the program needs to secure a couple commitments before we start worrying about keeping scholarships open.

at a min. we will keep Coffeys scholly open for the chance that he comes back....that's all im saying....we have 3 more open schollys so you are right we have a long ways to go when it comes to that regard....but whatever we do with the other 3 schoolys we are still keeping coffeys open until we know what he is doing for sure.....

at a min. we will keep Coffeys scholly open for the chance that he comes back....im not sure where you are going with this

My guess is all he was trying to say is we can still add two (2) more recruits while keeping a schollie open for Coffey. We need to remain proactive and aggressive in regards to recruiting regardless of what Amir ends up doing.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Last edited:

ESPN Game Log - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4279197/alihan-demir

Surprisingly low rebounding numbers at Drexel for a PF. Drexel's other starter is 6'8 242 according to ESPN and averages 8+ boards per game. Demir took a lot of shots last year. Any idea how people view his defense?
I saw him play live this year. May have been a dud game for him, but I did not walk away impressed with his game at all

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ESPN Game Log - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4279197/alihan-demir

Lower rebounding numbers than I'd expect (5+/game) at Drexel for a PF. Drexel's other starter is 6'8 242 according to ESPN and averages 8+ boards per game. Demir took a lot of shots last year. Any idea how people view his defense?

His defense isn't great. His greatest strength is his touch around the rim and low post footwork. When he gets the ball near the rim, he converts at a good rate. He is also a nice passer. Not a great 3 point shooter by any means but he stretches the floor better than Murphy or Curry. Not a good athlete at all and not great at running the court. Still though, his production is nice.

His game reminds me a little of Mo walker. Not a great athlete and not an amazing rebounder or defender but he very reliable low post scorer. Demir can shoot some and put the ball on the floor a little though. He also reminds me of Kerem Kanter, another Turk who grad transferred from Green Bay to Xavier two years ago. Similar size and very similar skillset although Kanter is a little bit of a better athlete.

And if he had better rebounding numbers then he'd be visiting Kentucky and UNC like Sestina and Pierce.

Top Bottom