2019 Tennis Thread

ESPN: Inside Djoker: Making the case for GOAT

When we look back on the Australian Open of 2019 in years to come, the thing we most remember may be that it marked the time and place at which Novak Djokovic rekindled the GOAT debate and launched his own campaign to be included in the conversation.

Djokovic's demolition of lifelong rival Rafael Nadal in Sunday's final earned the 31-year-old Serb his 15th Grand Slam title, putting him ahead of Pete Sampras and just two behind Nadal, five short of all-time male leader Roger Federer.

Considering his age, excellent health, a near obsession with clean living and hearty appetite for domination (Djokovic has won three straight majors in his zero-to-hero resurgence), it's hard to escape the idea that it's game on for GOAT honors.

"I am truly speechless," Djokovic told the Melbourne crowd after he won. Pundits and fans, most of whom expected something like the 5-hour, 53-minute epic the two men produced the last time they met on the blue floor of Rod Laver Arena (in the 2012 final), might have echoed his words.

Nadal, who basically didn't compete (due to injury and surgery) for five months preceding this tournament, had just one caveat to cling to while giving Djokovic full credit for playing a "fantastic" match: "Having that big challenge [of Djokovic] in front of me, I needed something else to compete at this super-high level. That something else probably today, I don't have it yet."

It's a reasonable point. But it's more likely that Djokovic, after a mid-career crisis triggered by private issues and an elbow injury, is better than ever. He's recovered his focus as well as his game. He's putting an increasing amount of daylight between himself and his rivals, partly because age and fitness are increasingly affecting his matches with them -- presumably to their detriment.

At 32, Nadal is just a year older than Djokovic. That's not much, but Nadal's game is much more effortful. He has many more hard miles on his odometer, and his body requires more than routine maintenance. Federer, the current leader among active players in the GOAT sweepstakes, is in the full bloom of health. But he's already 37.

This win boosted Djokovic's series record against Nadal to 28-25. That record has some remarkable aspects that must be sobering for his rivals. This 28th win over Nadal is the most ever by any pro over another. Djokovic also is 13-3 against Nadal on all surfaces since Nadal beat him in the US Open final of 2013.

Djokovic was gracious in victory on Sunday. Speaking about Nadal, he told reporters, "I'm sure we're still going to have a lot of matches against each other on different surfaces. I really hope we will, because this rivalry has been the most significant rivalry, the one that impacted me on a personal and professional level the most in my life."

It's a telling comment, less for what it says about Djokovic's feelings toward Nadal than Djokovic's attitude toward Federer. Their series records are comparable: Djokovic is 25-22 against Federer, 5-1 in their last six Grand Slam meetings. But Djokovic seems to feel that he's neutralized the Federer threat. Besides, Federer has faltered in the quarterfinals or before in four of his last five majors.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/25869316/inside-novak-djokovic-making-case-men-tennis-goat

Go USA!!

ESPN: John Isner not worried about his slow start to the season ... yet

John Isner entered this week's New York Open tournament without a win this season, which, as recent history suggests, isn't all that surprising.

The top-ranked player from the U.S. had a horrible start in 2018 as well, recording one measly singles tournament match-win in the first 2½ months of the year. He was only 1-6 when he made his way to the Miami Open in mid-March.

That's when his fortunes changed. Isner won the event, the biggest title of his career. That performance propelled him to his finest year. Isner qualified for the ATP World Tour Finals, hit a career-high ranking of No. 8 and ended the year at No. 10.

Despite his slow start, the 6-foot-10 Isner, who plays Aussie Bernard Tomic on Wednesday night in New York, is in a position he couldn't have anticipated a decade ago, when he was a recent graduate of the University of Georgia. He's rapidly closing in on 34, yet says he's as healthy as he's ever been. He's been inspired by 37-year-old Roger Federer ("What he's doing is remarkable," Isner said). The stability provided by his relatively new role as husband and father has helped Isner overcome the tendency to lose focus and to obsess about unsatisfactory results.

And while Isner, who last year lost in the first round of the New York Open to No. 91 Radu Albot, will certainly face a certain amount of pressure to turn his season around, he isn't letting it get to him. "Maybe if I were younger, it would be different," he said. "But I know everyone will gain and lose points. There's a good chance I'll lose points come Miami unless I win it again. But everyone's ranking fluctuates, even Novak Djokovic's -- last year he was No. 18 at one point. It will happen to me certainly as well this year."

Isner said he can't put his finger on exactly why he can't get off to a better start in the past few years, but was philosophical about fluctuations in his rankings. He's learned that with his quick-strike, shutdown game, frustration can turn to triumph as quickly as his monstrous serve. A shrewd judge of his own strengths and weaknesses, Isner knows he'll have plenty of opportunity to beef up his ranking if he can improve his tournament-to-tournament consistency.

This season has been anything but auspicious so far. Isner lost consecutive first-round matches to young Americans. He lost to No. 50 Taylor Fritz in Auckland and No. 97 Reilly Opelka at the Australian Open. The Grand Slam loss seemed particularly trenchant, because Isner fell to a player who is an inch taller, is armed with an equally explosive serve, and, at 21, is a dozen years younger. Unsurprisingly, it was a match decided by tiebreakers, Opelka winning three of four.

"This is, unfortunately, the third year in a row where I started off poorly down in Australia," Isner said.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/25987086/tennis-john-isner-not-worried-slow-start-season-yet

Go USA!!

A changing of the guard is taking place. After beating Isner at the Aussie Open, Reilly Opelka just beat him again in the semis of the New York Open. He plays Brayden Schnur in the finals tomorrow after Schnur knocked off Sam Querrey.

Go USA!!

ESPN: Serena Williams back in top 10 for first time since becoming a mother

Serena Williams has returned to the top 10 in the tennis rankings for the first time since taking a break to have her first child.

Williams dropped as low as 491st upon her return to competition in March 2018 but is up to No. 10 after reaching two Grand Slam finals since, losing to Angelique Kerber at Wimbledon and Naomi Osaka at the US Open.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26024688/serena-williams-back-top-10-first-becoming-mother

Go Serena!!

AP: Reilly Opelka beats Brayden Schnur in 3 sets to win New York Open

Reilly Opelka had climbed out of trouble all week, though this time his big serve alone couldn't save him.

Technology did first.

Moments after an electronic review overturned what appeared to give his opponent a match point, Opelka pounded his 43rd ace to win his first ATP Tour title Sunday with a 6-1, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (7) victory over qualifier Brayden Schnur in the New York Open.

"I put myself in a good position throughout the whole match and third-set breaker could have went either way,'' Opelka said. "That challenge honestly is probably the difference.''

A night after overcoming six match points to beat top-seeded John Isner in the semifinals, Opelka needed six of his own to finish off Schnur in the matchup of first-time finalists.

The 6-foot-11 Opelka hit 43 aces for the second straight match, making him the first player to hit 40 or more in consecutive best-of-three-set matches since the tour began tracking aces in 1991.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...beats-brayden-schnur-3-sets-win-new-york-open

Go USA!!

ESPN: Tennis world reacts to Roger Federer's 100th singles title

Roger Federer reached a momentous milestone on Saturday, becoming just the second male player to win 100 singles titles after American Jimmy Connors, who won 109. Federer reached title No. 100 with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Stefanos Tsitsipas at the at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

The numbers behind Federer's milestone accomplishment are staggering, as was the reaction on Twitter -- from Connors to Rod Laver and Billie Jean King to James Blake and Lindsey Vonn. Here are some of the best stats and social reaction to Fed's big moment:

Federer's 100 titles by the numbers

Here are some of the best numbers behind Federer's 100 singles titles (courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info):

20: Grand Slam titles (most by any man all time)

69: Hard-court titles (most by a man in the Open era)

18: Grass court titles (most by man in Open era)

15: Consecutive seasons with a singles title, from 2001-15. That's tied for the longest streak by a man in the Open era. (Rafael Nadal has an active straight of 15 straight seasons with at least one singles title.)

33: Tour-level titles since 30th birthday (second-most in Open era behind Rod Laver's 44)

4: Major titles since 30th birthday (tied for most in Open era)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26119658/tennis-world-reacts-roger-federer-100th-singles-title

Go Federer!!

per Axios Sports:

18-year-old Canadian Bianca Andreescu stunned three-time Grand Slam champion Angelique Kerber, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, yesterday to win the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells and capture her first career title.

The big picture: At the start of the year, Andreescu was ranked No. 178 in the world and virtually unknown to casual tennis fans. Less than three months and three impressive tournament runs later, she's ranked No. 25 and the talk of the sport.

Fun fact: Entering yesterday, Kerber had played in 28 finals on tour and won more than $27 million in career prize money. Andreescu had played in zero and won just $350,000. She tripled that in a matter of hours, earning $1.35 million for her victory.

Go Gophers!!

A nice win by Tiafoe tonight over Goffin.

My son and I will be at the Miami Open tomorrow and we lucked out with a heck of a lineup on the Stadium Court: Halep, Federer (!!) and Isner in three consecutive matches.

Go Federer!!

A nice win by Tiafoe tonight over Goffin.

My son and I will be at the Miami Open tomorrow and we lucked out with a heck of a lineup on the Stadium Court: Halep, Federer (!!) and Isner in three consecutive matches.

Go Federer!!

That sounds like a blast. How was it? Now that I live out west, I'm tempted to spend a few days at Indian Wells watching some time.

That sounds like a blast. How was it? Now that I live out west, I'm tempted to spend a few days at Indian Wells watching some time.

It was an incredible venue. James Blake was the Tournament Director and this was the first year the tournament wasn't in Key Biscayne and it will never go back. I've been to all 4 Grand Slam Tournaments, Indian Wells and a couple of smaller tournaments and this was by far the best fan experience of them all. I was really impressed with how thoughtful the amenities and fan environment were designed.

Isner has an opportunity to defend his title though he faces Federer in the finals. In 5 matches this tournament, Isner hasn't dropped a set. 9 of his 10 sets have finished 7-6 and the only that didn't finished 7-5. Tiafoe had a good showing, he's definitely separating himself from the other young American's.

This is Federer's 50th Masters 1,000 Final, that's incredible.

mplarson7, I highly recommend going to Indian Wells if the timing works. It's a great tournament and always a loaded draw for both men and women.

Go USA!!

Pretty slow week in tennis, but first WTA tournament on clay is finishing up in Charleston.

Keys got the better of Stephens in the quarterfinals, 76 46 62. She followed that up with a dominating semi-final performance today over Monica Puig, 64 60. She takes on Wozniacki tomorrow in the final.

Great to see Keys pull out the title. I can't believe it's been a year and a half since her last title. Hopefully this is a springboard for a great summer for her.

Go USA!!

Great win, on clay even. Hopefully she can make some splashes in the European clay court season.

ESPN: After three years away, Roger Federer returns to clay

When Roger Federer steps on court Tuesday night in Madrid for his first match on clay in three years, he will do so with hope and unburdened by expectation. Limited by injury to five clay matches in 2016 and having avoided the surface entirely in 2017 and 2018 to focus on Wimbledon, the 37-year-old is back -- and everyone, including his fellow players, is excited.

Madrid has been rolling out the red carpet for the 20-time Grand Slam champion the past few days. In a country that has enjoyed Rafael Nadal's success for well over a decade, it is Federer's face that adorns most of the advertising posters around Spain's capital. When it was announced Federer would be playing at the Madrid Open, ticket sales went through the roof.

"I'm happy that the decision I took last, I guess around December, when I started feeling like I definitely want to do the clay, that it was the right decision," Federer said in Madrid on Sunday. "I haven't looked back at the clay-court buildup yet or [at] everything that I have been doing [and thought] maybe I shouldn't have [done something or not]. I'm happy I'm here, and I'm happy I'm on the surface.

"I have not high expectations in some ways, but at the same time, I also know that things are possible. Madrid always plays fast with the altitude, so [I am] intrigued to find out myself. But it's been good so far."

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26680041/after-three-years-away-roger-federer-returns-clay

Go Federer!!

Consider me shocked as all hell that Fed is back to playing on clay.

A notable career comes to an end:

ESPN: Ferrer's career ends with loss at Madrid Open

David Ferrer's career came to an end with a 6-4, 6-1 loss to Alexander Zverev on Wednesday in the second round at the Madrid Open.

The 37-year-old Spaniard announced earlier that this would be his last tournament because he didn't think he was fit enough to keep competing at a high level on tour.

Ferrer finishes his 20-year career with 27 singles titles, fifth among active players behind the top four of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.

Ferrer has 733 wins in 1,111 matches, fourth among active players.

Visibly overcome by his emotions, Ferrer had a difficult time serving while facing match point, backing off a few times and asking for a towel to wipe his face.

After losing he received a standing ovation from the crowd at the packed "Magic Box" center court, then went back to leave his headband on the ground near the net.

Ferrer spoke for several minutes in a ceremony to honor him and thanked everyone who helped his career.

"I'll never forget this day," he said with his wife and son by his side. "I've been very lucky. I've always wanted to end my career like this. I couldn't keep playing at the level that I wanted, but I'm very happy and very proud of my career."

Messages from other players were shown on the screens during the ceremony, with most praising Ferrer's toughness and "never-give-up attitude" on the court.

"All the players are very sad he is retiring," said Zverev, who appeared to be moved. "You always left everything on the court, in every single match. It's a privilege for me to be here playing against you in your last match."

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26702989/ferrer-career-ends-loss-madrid-open

Go USA!!

Serena's season is turning into a mess.

ESPN: Serena withdraws from Rome over injured knee

Serena Williams has withdrawn from the Italian Open ahead of her second-round match against sister Venus because of an old left knee injury.

Tournament organizers made the announcement Tuesday, a day after Serena opened her clay-court season with a straight-sets win over Swedish qualifier Rebecca Peterson.

It's the third straight tournament the 37-year-old Serena has exited from because of physical problems.

She retired with a viral illness during her third-round match against Garbine Muguruza in Indian Wells, California, and withdrew with a left knee injury before her third-round match at the Miami Open in March.

As a result of this latest withdrawal, Venus advances into the third round via a walkover.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Serena would recover in time to play the French Open, which starts in less than two weeks.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26745056/serena-withdraws-rome-injured-knee

Go Serena!!

AP: Nicole Gibbs has cancer, to miss French Open

American tennis player Nicole Gibbs says she will miss the French Open because of surgery for salivary gland cancer.

Gibbs, 26, wrote on Twitter that the procedure is scheduled for Friday and her goal is to return for Wimbledon qualifying in late June.

Gibbs, who was born in Ohio and is based in California, reached the third round at the 2014 US Open and 2017 Australian Open. Her career-best ranking was 68th in 2016. She is currently 116th. She won NCAA singles and team titles at Stanford.

Gibbs tweeted Monday that a growth on the roof of her mouth was discovered at the dentist about a month ago. She says her surgeon is "confident that surgery alone will be sufficient treatment."

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26739703/nicole-gibbs-cancer-miss-french-open

Go USA!!

Nick Kyrgios gets disqualified at Italian Open for this temper tantrum:

Go USA!!

Nick Kyrgios being a dink once again:

A brutally honest Nick Kyrgios unloaded on tennis greats Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in a raw interview.

Speaking to tennis writer Ben Rothenberg of the New York Times for the “No Challenges Remaining” podcast, the Aussie star blasted Nadal for having double-standards and roasted Djokovic over his “sick obsession” with wanting to be liked.

The bad blood between Kyrgios and Nadal was exposed at this year’s Mexico Open when the Australian knocked the Spaniard out of the tournament courtesy of a 3-6, 7-6, 7-6 win in the round of 16. He caught Nadal off-guard with an underarm serve, complained about the 32-year-old’s go-slow tactics and after the controversial match Nadal accused Kyrgios of lacking respect for his opponent and the crowd.

Kyrgios won’t be building any bridges between the pair, complaining that Nadal’s character changes depending on whether results go his way — before bringing his family into the mix.

“He’s my polar opposite, like literally my polar opposite. And he’s super salty,” Kyrgios said.

“When he wins, it’s fine. He won’t say anything bad, he’ll credit the opponent, ‘He was a great player.’ But as soon as I beat him, it’s just like, ‘He has no respect for me, my fans and no respect to the game.’ And I’m like, ‘What are you talking about? I literally played this way when I beat you the other previous times and nothing changed, nothing changed.’

“It’s not a good look for you, I feel. And then [Nadal’s former coach] Uncle Toni came out saying, ‘He lacks education.’ I’m like, ‘Bra, I did 12 years at school, you idiot. I’m very educated. I understand that you’re upset I beat your family again.’ Rafa gets me vexed.”

Not content with taking down one living legend, Kyrgios took aim at a second as he tore into Djokovic for his “cringe-worthy” celebration where he gestures to the crowd with his arms after a win, signaling the love he has for his fans.

Kyrgios also said Djokovic prefers to say and do whatever will make people like him more rather than be himself.

“I just feel like he has a sick obsession with wanting to be liked. He just wants to be like Roger [Federer],” Kyrgios said. “For me personally — I don’t care right now, I’ve come this far — I feel like he just wants to be liked so much that I just can’t stand him.

“This whole celebration thing that he does after matches, it’s like so cringe-worthy. It’s very cringe-worthy. The celebration just kills me. Every time he does the celebration it just kills me. Honestly, that’s what I’m doing next time: If I play him and beat him, I’m doing his celebration, in front of him. That would be hilarious, right?

“Djokovic, again, just rubs me the wrong way. He always says what feels like he needs to say, never speaks his opinion.”

Kyrgios praised the Serbian as an “unbelievable player” and “champion of the sport” but doesn’t believe he should be held in higher regard than Federer, even if he ends up winning more majors.

“We’re talking about a guy who pulled out of the Australian Open one year because it was too hot. No matter how many grand slams he wins, he will never be the greatest for me,” Kyrgios said.

“Simply because, I’ve played him twice (Kyrgios has won both times) and like, I’m sorry, but if you can’t beat me, you’re not the greatest of all time. Because if you like look at my day-to-day routine and how much I train and how much I put in, it’s zero compared to him.”

And it wasn’t just grand slam winners Kyrgios was having a crack at. As much as Nadal and Djokovic irk him, Fernando Verdasco tops the list of players the 24-year-old would least like to have dinner with.

“Verdasco drives me nuts, man. That guy … I don’t even want to talk about it,” Kyrgios said. “It gets me so vexed, I’m like angry now that I just hear that name. He’s the most arrogant person ever. He doesn’t say hello, he thinks he’s so good, he thinks he’s God’s gift. Dude, your backhand’s pretty average and let’s be honest, you hit a ball over a net.

“Guy’s like that, they drive me insane. There’s no humility there, there’s no perspective, it’s just like, ‘I’m here, I’m so cool, I’m unbelievable because I hit a ball over the net. Do this for me, do this for me, I won’t say hello to you, I’m too important.’

“Guys like that. See how angry I’m getting? It kills me. He just rubs me the wrong way.”

https://nypost.com/2019/05/16/novak-djokovic-has-sick-obsession-to-be-like-roger-federer-rival/

Go Anyone Who Is Playing Kyrgios!!

A brutal first round for both the American men and women at the French Open. Disappointing to see Tiafoe fall in 5 sets. Fritz had a solid win today over Tomic.

Go USA!!

A brutal first round for both the American men and women at the French Open. Disappointing to see Tiafoe fall in 5 sets. Fritz had a solid win today over Tomic.

Go USA!!

American tennis & red clay is usually not a good combination.

American men were a train wreck outside of Fritz. He beat his next opponent on clay recently, so let's see an upset!

Usual suspects on the women's side with the addition of Anisimova. Nice opportunity for her in the next round against Sabalenka, too.

Wow a huge win for Amanda Anisimova! She's skyrocketing up the rankings at a very young age.

Go USA!!

WOW. Sofia Kenin with a straight sets win over Serena. Serena had a pretty bad day at the office, don't know if I've seen her hit that many unforced errors before. That makes 4 American women in the round of 16.

Next up:

Madison Keys vs unseeded Siniakova, who took out Naomi Osaka.
Sofia Kenin vs (8) Barty
Amanda Anisimova vs. (Q) Bolsova
Sloane Stephens vs (19) Muguruza

Sofia Kenin lost in 3 sets today to Barty 63 36 60. Madison Keys and Sloane Stephens through to the quarterfinals. Anisimova will be on deck later today.

Sofia Kenin lost in 3 sets today to Barty 63 36 60. Madison Keys and Sloane Stephens through to the quarterfinals. Anisimova will be on deck later today.

It's amazing to me how the American women have been able to build this next wave of top players and the men have failed miserably in this area. We are coming up on 19 YEARS since an American man won a Slam (Roddick, US Open in 2003) and 10 years since we had an American in a final (Roddick, Wimbledon 2009). Sure Isner had a run last year at Wimbledon and Querrey a number of years before that, but it's sad and pathetic that the American men haven't gotten themselves into a legit top 10/top 5 in the world conversation.

Go USA!!

Amazing - 17 year old American Amanda Anisimova is on to the quarterfinals! She has a daunting ask as she will face Halep, but what a rise for the young American.

Go USA!!

Tough loss for Stephens this morning...too bad as a path to the finals was there for her.

On the men's side, we get Fed v Nadal in the semis!!!! Hard to see Fed winning as Nadal is absolutely dialed in, but what a treat it will be to watch these two battle again.

Go Federer!!

Top Bottom