Operation Varsity Blues Largest College cheating Scam Ever Prosecuted by DOJ

USC coach was involved.
Tennis or water polo or both.

If their athletics dept was on probation when these violations occurred, it could be the death of their tennis and/or water polo programs.

Paying bribes to get out of driving your kid to practice, nice.

The irony of all of this is that they things they were faking aren't difficult.

One person faked their daughter being a rower, another person paid for fake test results.

It's not that difficult to sign your kid up for test tutoring and drive them to soccer practice.

If you have $200,000 to pay for bribes then there is absolutely no reason your kid shouldn't kick ass at everything they do.

$200,000 could buy a full time tutor, brand new equipment every year, and a personal trainer.

These people were busted for being lazy assholes. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Not surprised to see a list comprised mainly of wealthy californians and assorted collaborators. You will not find a more overprivileged hive of scum and villainy except NYC and DC

Where will the FBI turn it's all-seeing eye next? College football recruiting? The key to avoiding time in federal prison ...is pleading ignorance and stupidity as we saw following the financial crisis or hoping for Eric Holder. I'm not sure claiming a bag of your money accidentally fell behind the toilet at a recruit's house or wired to his father's bank account is the same as not understanding how or why garbage collateralized debt obligations were sold as A+ rated securities to institutional pension managers or less sophisticated types.

Not surprised to see a list comprised mainly of wealthy californians and assorted collaborators. You will not find a more overprivileged hive of scum and villainy except NYC and DC

Not sure I agree with your broad brush strokes, but big bonus points for using the delicious phrase "overprivileged hive of scum and villainy." That was outstanding.

One of the conspirators charged is the current IMG “director of college entrance exam prep”...

Not sure I agree with your broad brush strokes, but big bonus points for using the delicious phrase "overprivileged hive of scum and villainy." That was outstanding.

No worries, we all have our prejudices and I don’t expect everyone to agree with mine. My tangent is due to me finding some level of humor in the FBI sending out a wave of 300 agents and untold man hours on a college entrance prep scam (I imagine some less - or un- qualified applicants are admitted to selective schools for a variety of reasons every year, just as some jobseekers are awarded positions they not be the best candidate for), and contrasted with the lack of a single prosecution of an exquisitely calculated widespread fraud that harmed millions.

No worries, we all have our prejudices and I don’t expect everyone to agree with mine. My tangent is due to me finding some level of humor in the FBI sending out a wave of 300 agents and untold man hours on a college entrance prep scam (I imagine some less - or un- qualified applicants are admitted to selective schools for a variety of reasons every year, just as some jobseekers are awarded positions they not be the best candidate for), and contrasted with the lack of a single prosecution of an exquisitely calculated widespread fraud that harmed millions.

As many as 90,000 kids didn’t get into the college they deserved because of these d-bags.

Not saying it’s ok. Obviously I take some delight in this. I don’t think this is necessarily over either...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

That's what i don't get. Who has the pull to decide to dedicate resources to find out if rich and famous people spend money to get their kids privileges they don't technically deserve?

So your the director the FBI allocating time and you sit in a room and think, maybe we should work on national prescription medication abuse and the complicity of large drug companies, maybe we should crack down on human traffickers, maybe we should do something about identity theft especially on tax return fraud, Naww... what is really important to the average american and national security is that the right kids end up as alternates on the Yale crew team.

That's what i don't get. Who has the pull to decide to dedicate resources to find out if rich and famous people spend money to get their kids privileges they don't technically deserve?

So your the director the FBI allocating time and you sit in a room and think, maybe we should work on national prescription medication abuse and the complicity of large drug companies, maybe we should crack down on human traffickers, maybe we should do something about identity theft especially on tax return fraud, Naww... what is really important to the average american and national security is that the right kids end up as alternates on the Yale crew team.

The case was probably dropped in the FBI's lap by an informant who provided them with inside information. The high profiles of the people and schools involved were undoubtedly a big reason the FBI decided to pursue the case. It was guaranteed to end up on the front page of the NY Times.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The one mom who was in "Full House" took pictures of her daughter on a rowing machine and then did a photoshoot of her pretending to be a coxswain. She has supposedly ponied up $500,000 over time to get her kids into these schools. Geez, from what I can tell if you flash that kind of money around at some colleges they will get your kid in the door...no need for a ruse. It's disgusting...and for lack of better words, so is her family. I immediately thought of the Kardashians.

I think the story states they got it as a tip while working an unrelated case.

I guess we don't know if the FBI told 300 agents "Drop what you're doing! Nobody goes home until we make an arrest! We have some rich people to catch *smirks*"; or "Hey, Bob...when you're done looking at that case about the haunted amusement park, can you check into this thing about some bribery payments and this test-taker man?...Thanks. And hey...have a good weekend."

Distraction?

They can do more than one thing.

I think the story states they got it as a tip while working an unrelated case.

And then I believe the guy who ran the "charity" that many of the "donations" were made to took a deal and spilled all the beans.

What I don't know is this - were these kids so dumb they had no chance of getting into college without cheating - or did the rich parents grease the skids so the kids could get into a particular school? that's what doesn't make sense to me.

instead of dropping a half-million dollars to cheat your kids into USC, Full House mom could have used that money to hire tutors, or get the kids career counseling, etc to help them find a career. Instead, they decided it would be easier to cough up a half-mill to cheat the kids into USC. Where's the return on investment? is it worth a half-million just to be able to say "my kids are going to USC?" Holy bleep. Some people really do have too much money.

What I don't know is this - were these kids so dumb they had no chance of getting into college without cheating - or did the rich parents grease the skids so the kids could get into a particular school? that's what doesn't make sense to me.

instead of dropping a half-million dollars to cheat your kids into USC, Full House mom could have used that money to hire tutors, or get the kids career counseling, etc to help them find a career. Instead, they decided it would be easier to cough up a half-mill to cheat the kids into USC. Where's the return on investment? is it worth a half-million just to be able to say "my kids are going to USC?" Holy bleep. Some people really do have too much money.

Right. I get Harvard and Yale. You get a degree there (assuming these kids could hack it) and it means something. But USC? You couldn't instead go to UC Riverside or UC San Diego? Is it that much nicer? And maybe giving the kid the 500 grand and teaching them how to invest would have been a lot smarter of an idea. You can nearly live off the interest of 500 grand...

It’s probably moreso just common practice. These people had unlucky timing. I’m surprised by the reaction to this more than anything like we just assume all these wealthy kids have the grades to get in. Just on average, that seems unlikely. But we live in a society where the money in your pocket determines your value and overall intelligence so I guess it shouldn’t be too surprising.

Last edited:

Charitable contributions can be a way to avoid taxes. There may have been more going on than a simple bribe. Some of the numbers being talked about are astounding. Something doesn’t smell right.

I’m surprised there is not more discussion in sports media about the IMG guy, who supposedly took exams for student athletes. Will there be attempts to identify who may have dishonestly met NCAA qualification and obtained athletic scholarships?

Do you think it is possible to investigate two things at the same time

Charitable contributions can be a way to avoid taxes. There may have been more going on than a simple bribe. Some of the numbers being talked about are astounding. Something doesn’t smell right.

Probably the most serious charges the people involved in this will face is tax evasion - this was a fake charity, and the people who paid into it and then deducted it on their taxes are (allegedly) guilty of tax fraud.

Do you think it is possible to investigate two things at the same time

No, I don’t.

Hey, it’s great they clapped these guys and if any of them go on to serve time it could be a deterrent for others but let’s be real - there are probably more important issues that could be looked into. I mentioned one, and I recall things in the news like hotline tips regarding firearms and mental illness that weren’t followed up on (due to lack of manpower/hours I’d imagine) prior to the Florida high school mass shooting...could go on.

Anyone that has ever held a busy job will tell you that no, it isn’t possible to be in two places at once.

No, I don’t.

Hey, it’s great they clapped these guys and if any of them go on to serve time it could be a deterrent for others but let’s be real - there are probably more important issues that could be looked into. I mentioned one, and I recall things in the news like hotline tips regarding firearms and mental illness that weren’t followed up on (due to lack of manpower/hours I’d imagine) prior to the Florida high school mass shooting...could go on.

Anyone that has ever held a busy job will tell you that no, it isn’t possible to be in two places at once.

Beat cops do it multiple times a day.
FBI agents do it the same way.
The phone rings. They answer. They key in some information into a database. Somebody else gets flagged to make a few calls. Yep. They can do more than one at a time.

No, I don’t.

Well then you aren’t very smart considering the fbi has hundreds of active investigations.

Top Bottom