Minnesota only BT to ever beat Clemson; 1 of 2 BT teams to beat Bama since 2000

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Rhys chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Rickey chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

I guess that would make Minnesota the only BIG school to have beaten both teams? Would someone please check to see if
Penn State has beaten Clemson? If so, they would join us in that elite circle

I guess that would make Minnesota the only BIG school to have beaten both teams? Would someone please check to see if
Penn State has beaten Clemson? If so, they would join us in that elite circle

Penn State lost to Clemson in their only meeting in 1988.

Cool! Thanks for the link. Any reason why we've played Pitt and Washington so many times compared to other teams in their conference?

During the Bierman years (1932-1941, 1946-1951) Washington was a favorite foe, not sure why - probably played at least ten times. Since the traveling team would have to literally spend a week on the road to and from the game via train (multi-day trips with a practice stop along the way - Gophers always practiced somewhere in Montana), they would always play first game of season so as to not affect the schedule as much. Washington did not have a lot of other non-conference "D1 type" teams nearby which may have added to the attraction for them.

Pittsburgh was also a favorite in the earlier years - one forgets that they were an independent program (no conference affiliation) until 1991 - probably always looking for a game somewhere.

During the Bierman years (1932-1941, 1946-1951) Washington was a favorite foe, not sure why - probably played at least ten times. Since the traveling team would have to literally spend a week on the road to and from the game via train (multi-day trips with a practice stop along the way - Gophers always practiced somewhere in Montana), they would always play first game of season so as to not affect the schedule as much. Washington did not have a lot of other non-conference "D1 type" teams nearby which may have added to the attraction for them.

Pittsburgh was also a favorite in the earlier years - one forgets that they were an independent program (no conference affiliation) until 1991 - probably always looking for a game somewhere.
Cool. Thanks for the background info.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Is it weird that Clemson has only played Big 10 teams 5 times? Their games against Maryland, Nebraska, and Penn State were all from before they were in the Big 10.

Cool! Thanks for the link. Any reason why we've played Pitt and Washington so many times compared to other teams in their conference?

Gil Dobie (Hastings, Mn.) might be why we played Washington so many times?

"Early life and playing career
Dobie was born in Hastings, Minnesota. He played football as an end and quarterback at the University of Minnesota.[4]

Coaching career
Dobie achieved his greatest success at the University of Washington in Seattle, where he had a remarkable 58–0–3"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Dobie

So is Texas.

We beat Texas in our one meeting.

How about Maryland? I know they have beaten Clemosn, but have they ever beaten Bama?

This is all well and good until you realize the Gophers are the only Big 10 team to lose to both NDSU and South Dakota, not just once, but two times each.

This is all well and good until you realize the Gophers are the only Big 10 team to lose to both NDSU and South Dakota, not just once, but two times each.

Without going through to look, the Gophers are presumably the only Big Ten team to have even played both NDSU and USD - let alone playing against each twice.

Without going through to look, the Gophers are presumably the only Big Ten team to have even played both NDSU and USD - let alone playing against each twice.

Wisconsin played them both twice. As have Iowa and MSU. Northwestern has played both, but NDSU only once.

Even though the Gophers were awful at the time, I liked that we played Pittsburgh, knowing that there was some history dating back 80 plus years when both programs were powerhouses. Beyond that fact that both programs pissed on themselves when destroying historic on campus stadiums, there is a lot in common as noted in a previous thread.

The Washington Huskies have a huge amount of history with Minnesota and a series with them has been something I have wanted to see for a very long time (1977 last game?) A Gopher football themed train package to Seattle would probably sell out if marketed by Creative Charters.

Travel to and from SEATAC is easy and I think the fans of both teams would enjoy Septembers in Seattle and Minneapolis.

Of course I have brothers that live on Bainbridge Island and in West Seattle so I'd have an even better trip than most, but Seattle is a great destination.

Last edited:

The Gophers have never lost to Minneapolis Boat Club!

Still looking for that elusive first win against Iowa Navy Pre-Flight, however.

Interesting history on Iowa Pre-Flight. 3 seasons (26-5).
Coached by Bernie Bierman in 1942.
2nd in AP Poll and Service Academy Champions in 1943. Bierman was Assistant under Faurot who won a National Championship in MD
1944 they were 6th in AP Poll.

Even though the Gophers were awful at the time, I liked that we played Pittsburgh, knowing that there was some history dating back 80 plus years when both programs were powerhouses. Beyond that fact that both programs pissed on themselves when destroying historic on campus stadiums, there is a lot in common as noted in a previous thread.

The Washington Huskies have a huge amount of history with Minnesota and a series with them has been something I have wanted to see for a very long time (1977 last game?) A Gopher football themed train package to Seattle would probably sell out if marketed by Creative Charters.

Travel to and from SEATAC is easy and I think the fans of both teams would enjoy Septembers in Seattle and Minneapolis.

Of course I have brothers that live on Bainbridge Island and in West Seattle so I'd have an even better trip than most, but Seattle is a great destination.

I'd go in a heartbeat! If given enough notice, I'd try to sneak in Lake Louise and Banff before or after the game. That or Vancouver. Vancouver for the Halibut. i'll be here all week.

I was at that Music City Bowl when we beat Alabama. Amazing thing is we out-rushed them like that, and still almost lost the game!

Top Bottom