QB Jacob Clark commits to Gophers!!

<iframe width="300" height="150" frameborder="1" src="https://n.rivals.com/content/prospect_cards/209594"></iframe>

Jacob Clark got is 4th Star from Rivals. When is the last time the Gophers got a 4-Star QB?

By the final Rivals rankings, 2008 with MarQueis Gray.

<iframe width="300" height="150" frameborder="1" src="https://n.rivals.com/content/prospect_cards/209594"></iframe>

Jacob Clark got is 4th Star from Rivals. When is the last time the Gophers got a 4-Star QB?

Was Seth Greene four star? Demry Croft? MarQueis Gray?

Moses Alipate hahahaha

I hope he is not allergic to ROSES.

Here comes the offseason of people speculating sight unseen that he will be the 2019 starter now. That 4th star can bring with it some big expectations around these parts. He's still the same guy so let's keep our expectations the same. Ideally he redshirts.

It is promising to have a player who rose to his 4 star instead of fading as a HS senior like some of the other QBs listed here.

Here comes the offseason of people speculating sight unseen that he will be the 2019 starter now. That 4th star can bring with it some big expectations around these parts. He's still the same guy so let's keep our expectations the same. Ideally he redshirts.

It is promising to have a player who rose to his 4 star instead of fading as a HS senior like some of the other QBs listed here.

I'm not sure how it's ideal that he would redshirt next season. Do you honestly think the current stable of QBs on the roster are better? If Clark is significantly better (or even close to even) why wouldn't you play him?

I'll continue to have the expectation we have an open QB competition next year. This dude can ball, we have another decent QB coming in. They are competing against two guys that have less than one full year under center. Alex and Tanner have a head start, but it's not like they are entrenched as our only choices for starters and I wouldn't cry if either got the hook for a freshman.

I'll continue to have the expectation we have an open QB competition next year. This dude can ball, we have another decent QB coming in. They are competing against two guys that have less than one full year under center. Alex and Tanner have a head start, but it's not like they are entrenched as our only choices for starters and I wouldn't cry if either got the hook for a freshman.

Yeah, Alex is a great QB! I'm really rooting for him to start for the Gophers next year!

I'm not sure how it's ideal that he would redshirt next season. Do you honestly think the current stable of QBs on the roster are better? If Clark is significantly better (or even close to even) why wouldn't you play him?

Here is what I know. I thought for true freshman Annexstad played well and rsFR played well. From what I've seen Morgan should enter spring as starter, for me ideally, he holds that spot down.

If clark beats him out, he should play. I would find it hard to think Clark will do so based on what I've seen

Seth Green, Clint Brewster, Alipate and Gray were all rated 4 stars by at least one service.

Green was still 4 stars on Scout I think when he signed here.

Here is what I know. I thought for true freshman Annexstad played well and rsFR played well. From what I've seen Morgan should enter spring as starter, for me ideally, he holds that spot down.

If clark beats him out, he should play. I would find it hard to think Clark will do so based on what I've seen

And what exactly have you seen? Because from comparing everything I've been able to find, Clark is bigger and stronger than both ZA and Morgan. He certainly has a stronger arm and has played 2 seasons in a RPO based offense with terrific success. Clark's senior season highlights show more deep ball completions in one game than ZA and Morgan had combined for the season. While there is and should be credit given for actual B1G play, it's not enough in my mind to just assume Clark gets a redshirt for 2019. I'd imagine there will be a loose pecking order come Spring Ball but it's likely that things get shifted quickly.

I also think its funny we see his star go up and compare him to all the failed 4 star QBs, because thats how it works.

And what exactly have you seen? Because from comparing everything I've been able to find, Clark is bigger and stronger than both ZA and Morgan. He certainly has a stronger arm and has played 2 seasons in a RPO based offense with terrific success. Clark's senior season highlights show more deep ball completions in one game than ZA and Morgan had combined for the season. While there is and should be credit given for actual B1G play, it's not enough in my mind to just assume Clark gets a redshirt for 2019. I'd imagine there will be a loose pecking order come Spring Ball but it's likely that things get shifted quickly.

Big, strong, and strong-armed is all you need to be a great QB? Good to know. I look forward to Brock Osweiler's MVP season in 2019. And Dan McGwire must've killed it in the league, right?

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson should probably retire. They're too small.

I watched every gopher game this season.

QB play wasn't always pretty, but there were some promising signs. I give morgan the edge due to better pocket presence and he'll be in his third year in system. Clark maybe more physically gifted, but that doesn't always amount to be better. I'm excited for Clark and will root for him, I just don't think unless he clearly beats out Morgan/Zack you switch

just my .02

Big, strong, and strong-armed is all you need to be a great QB? Good to know. I look forward to Brock Osweiler's MVP season in 2019. And Dan McGwire must've killed it in the league, right?

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson should probably retire. They're too small.

Didn't say that at all but please, take whatever liberties you need to make your case. Size and strength do play a role but shouldn't be deciding factors. Both Brees and Wilson have very strong arms and I'd argue that does have significant value. Peyton Manning wasn't known to have the strongest of arms but he turned out to be pretty good anyway. So no, there's not any one or two attributes that make for great QB play. What I was referring to in my previous post, is Clark does appear to have a stronger arm. Just look at his ball flight on the deep passes compared to what you saw from ZA and Morgan this season. The longer the ball is in the air the more trouble it brings. As I also mentioned, Clark is very well versed in the RPO offense albeit at a High School level but still has 2 years of experience where ZA has 1 (this year) and Morgan now has 2.

Didn't say that at all but please, take whatever liberties you need to make your case. Size and strength do play a role but shouldn't be deciding factors. Both Brees and Wilson have very strong arms and I'd argue that does have significant value. Peyton Manning wasn't known to have the strongest of arms but he turned out to be pretty good anyway. So no, there's not any one or two attributes that make for great QB play. What I was referring to in my previous post, is Clark does appear to have a stronger arm. Just look at his ball flight on the deep passes compared to what you saw from ZA and Morgan this season. The longer the ball is in the air the more trouble it brings. As I also mentioned, Clark is very well versed in the RPO offense albeit at a High School level but still has 2 years of experience where ZA has 1 (this year) and Morgan now has 2.

It is a huge jump from high school to college. That said, if Clark comes in and blows the doors off things and proves to be significantly better then both Annexstad and Morgan I am sure he will play. If he is equal to or just slightly better then those guys then it makes more sense to give him time to adjust to college and develop for a year.

It certainly happens but it is pretty rare for a true freshman QB to come in and dominate right away. That said, Texas tends to be a hotbed for great QB's so anything can happen.

It is a huge jump from high school to college.

Accurate statement. Clark is coming from 6A Texas football (highest class) though, which is probably the closest that high school football is going to get to college. Still a steep learning curve, but probably less than somebody coming from say 2A Minnesota.

It will be a 3 man race between Morgan, Annexstad and Clark. Morgan/Annexstad have the advantage of knowing the system. Clark may have the edge on talent. If I had to guess, I'd put the chances on starting the majority of 2019 games something like this:

45% Morgan
40% Annexstad
15% Clark

Yeah, if Clark comes in and demonstrates talent/skill that might win us an extra game or two, then start him, otherwise redshirt him so we can have a redshirt junior (Morgan), redshirt sophmore/junior (annexstad), and redshirt freshman (Clark) in 2020 assuming no transfers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Accurate statement. Clark is coming from 6A Texas football (highest class) though, which is probably the closest that high school football is going to get to college. Still a steep learning curve, but probably less than somebody coming from say 2A Minnesota.

It will be a 3 man race between Morgan, Annexstad and Clark. Morgan/Annexstad have the advantage of knowing the system. Clark may have the edge on talent. If I had to guess, I'd put the chances on starting the majority of 2019 games something like this:

45% Morgan
40% Annexstad
15% Clark

Valid arguments. Morgan had a year in the system ahead of Zach and Zach still got the nod for the season opener and kept it until he got injured. To me, Morgan's body of work in the 2nd half of the season was better than Zach's first half of the season. I also think there were some adjustments made during the season that allowed for better QB success in the 2nd half (Morgan). Moving Faalele to RT was a key move.

Last edited:

Valid arguments. Morgan had a year in the system ahead of Zach and Zach still got the nod for the season opener and kept it until he got injured. To me, Morgan's body of work in the 2nd half of the season was better than Zach's first half of the season. I also think there were some adjustments made during the season that allowed for better QB success in the 2nd half (Moran). Moving Faalele to RT was a key move.

It gets said in pretty much any thread involving QBs but man is it nice to have multiple options that don't scare the crap out of us. For all those years with Mitch it was hoping and praying the new QB or another one on the roster might finally beat him out for the starting job. Now we have a highly touted kid coming in but even if he takes a little time to adjust nobody should be all that worried since we have 2 very capable options on the roster. Such a nice change of pace.

Top Bottom