Doogie Tweet: Gophers Might Not Have All Their Regulars UPDATED: Croft won't play Sat

Krawczynski, on KFAN, said that he understood the Croft issues were ongoing, dating to last season, and that this likely won't get fixed overnight. He was reluctant to share what it is though. I think he needs more confirmation. This isn't likely the result of an isolated incident.

I'm not sure we'll see DC back. This smells like a transfer to me.

I've heard the words "delicate" and "personal" and allusions to "doing the right thing". Is it depression? Has he stopped going to class? Substance abuse? How can something be ongoing since last season, yet a recent incident has led to Fleck announcing he will be away from the team?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Yes, Spirituality can be religion or it could be absence of religion.

You need to believe in something bigger than yourself.

What does this even mean?

This is like saying, my hobby is not collecting stamps.

People just need to be of high character. If spirituality gets you there, great.

FWIW, Goldy is my spirit animal. If this was just team rules then I think we would have heard what the punishment was by now because Fleck would have been in control of the punishment. Sounds like it's at minimum something that he will potentially face consequence for outside the team and that is why he is off the team for now with no specified duration.

First Devers, now this.
Do you all believe me now when I say that Devers was only suspended because he wasn't viewed as a key component?
Fleck seems to have an "in the boat or out of the boat" mentality.
You're in the boat if he needs you or likes you, you're out of the boat if he doesn't need you and doesn't like you.

Or am I going to get attacked again because Devers clearly had issues and Fleck does nothing wrong?

First Devers, now this.
Do you all believe me now when I say that Devers was only suspended because he wasn't viewed as a key component?
You're in the boat if he needs you or likes you, you're out of the boat if he doesn't need you and doesn't like you.

Or am I going to get attacked again because Devers clearly had issues and Fleck does nothing wrong?

Sounds like every new coach through history. It's called changing a culture and building a program. They all do it.

Sounds like every new coach through history. It's called changing a culture and building a program. They all do it.

I agree, I'm just saying that the response to my comment that Devers was suspended because the defense doesn't have a spot for him was ridiculous.

First Devers, now this.
No. Easy enough to bench a player for no reason other than not liking them if you are the head coach. You don't need to suspend them for a bogus reason to get your desired result and if you did suspend a guy for a bogus reason it would eat away at your integrity with the rest of the team which is counter productive.

There are an infinite number of ways that a young person could get in trouble or just generally make a poor decision.

All that is certain is the PJ didn't like a recent behavior or an ongoing trend of behaviors and has decided that Croft isn't on the team this week. That's pretty much all I need to know.

No. Easy enough to bench a player for no reason other than not liking them if you are the head coach. You don't need to suspend them for a bogus reason to get your desired result and if you did suspend a guy for a bogus reason it would eat away at your integrity with the rest of the team which is counter productive.

Unless you want to discourage dissent.

I agree, I'm just saying that the response to my comment that Devers was suspended because the defense doesn't have a spot for him was ridiculous.

Your comment that Devers was suspended because the defense doesn't have a spot for him was ridiculous.

First Devers, now this.

I'm not going to attack you, but it is also just as likely that both Devers and Croft did something wrong and deserved to be removed from the lineup. Especially this year, I think Fleck would treat everybody exactly the same. Now, in two years, when the team is basically split between guys he recruited and holdovers from the previous staff your conspiracy theory may be more apt.

As for what Croft did/has done - I don't think any of us know...and its kind of unfair to speculate (but here I go): if it has been ongoing problem, I think it points to either grades or a substance use disorder.

I'm not going to attack you, but it is also just as likely that both Devers and Croft did something wrong and deserved to be removed from the lineup. Especially this year, I think Fleck would treat everybody exactly the same. Now, in two years, when the team is basically split between guys he recruited and holdovers from the previous staff your conspiracy theory may be more apt.

As for what Croft did/has done - I don't think any of us know...and its kind of unfair to speculate (but here I go): if it has been ongoing problem, I think it points to either grades or a substance use disorder.

Right after he lost the starting job? I doubt it.
My theory is that he knows that people like us are going to watch the games and say things like "Our pass rush sucks, where is Devers?", or if Rhoda has a bad game in the next few weeks, "Why don't we try out Croft again?"
He's just trying to control the narrative, and y'all are going right for it.

My theory is that he knows that people like us are going to watch the games and say things like "Our pass rush sucks, where is Devers?", or if Rhoda has a bad game in the next few weeks, "Why don't we try out Croft again?"

Devers and Croft both broke team rules. These are off-the-field issues and in Croft's case, he was a repeat offender. This isn't "one minute late for meeting" stuff either, or them not singing team songs.

I'm not going to repeat what rules were broken because these players deserve a certain amount of privacy. I'm only chiming in because you are toxic. You are throwing Fleck under the bus and implying he suspends players because he doesn't like them or they don't fit the system? Think about how ridiculous that is. Your original comment about Devers:

"Devers is not ready" is bullcrap, we've all seen him play at a level deserving of a role in this rotation, even if it was just for short bursts.

So in your mind, an NCAA coach would go so far as to SUSPEND a player (i.e., not dress) because they don't fit a defensive scheme? Think. About. How. Crazy. That. Is.

Now I'm starting to think this is a bit. Are you saying Fleck is more concerned about what fans will say/think over what the players on his own team say/think? If Devers and Croft were really being suspended just because they don't fit in a system and have done nothing at all wrong, it would cause quite a stir with the other players and I think the mutiny within the team would be massive.

Devers and Croft both broke team rules. These are off-the-field issues and in Croft's case, he was a repeat offender. This isn't "one minute late for meeting" stuff either, or them not singing team songs.

I'm not going to repeat what rules were broken because these players deserve a certain amount of privacy. I'm only chiming in because you are toxic. You are throwing Fleck under the bus and implying he suspends players because he doesn't like them or they don't fit the system? Think about how ridiculous that is. Your original comment about Devers:

So in your mind, an NCAA coach would go so far as to SUSPEND a player (i.e., not dress) because they don't fit a defensive scheme? Think. About. How. Crazy. That. Is.

It's not at all crazy and it's done at every level of sports.
Unless Croft came home an promptly broke whatever rule you claim he broke, Fleck was waiting to suspend him until he knew if he needed him.
Just like any job, your boss can fire or suspend you whenever they want, and they will always have a reason.
If you drug and alcohol test all of our players on Sunday during the bye week, I bet 9/10s of our team would be suspended, but we won't, because why would we?

Now I'm starting to think this is a bit. Are you saying Fleck is more concerned about what fans will say/think over what the players on his own team say/think? If Devers and Croft were really being suspended just because they don't fit in a system and have done nothing at all wrong, it would cause quite a stir with the other players and I think the mutiny within the team would be massive.

Just starting to think it's a bit?

I'm saying these are college kids and most of them will break significant team rules over the course of the year. Fleck could suspend any one of them without causing a mutiny, and could choose to look the other way without causing a mutiny.

Unless Croft came home an promptly broke whatever rule you claim he broke, Fleck was waiting to suspend him until he knew if he needed him.
Just like any job, your boss can fire or suspend you whenever they want, and they will always have a reason.
If you drug and alcohol test all of our players on Sunday during the bye week, I bet 9/10s of our team would be suspended, but we won't, because why would we?
You are just stupid and pushing a stupid narrative. You deserve to be suspended from this forum for this. After all suspensions can happen for any reason

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Language used on BTN last night was Croft "no longer with the team" although the detail was that he wouldn't dress for the next game. No durther details on the reason.

A reporter asked Fleck if “culture” is euphemism for “team rules.”

“I think it’s a way of life within your culture,” he said. “It’s the habit, it’s the instincts, it’s the importance. … I think team rules are — we follow the player handbook that the University of Minnesota has. We have our own team rules, but the biggest rule we have is: do the right thing. If you do the right thing, you never have to worry about anything.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/12/gophers-quarterback-demry-croft-to-be-away-from-team/

Fleck said the biggest rule we have is: "do the right thing". This covers just about everything a player does on or off the field, and in or out of school. Players will be benched or suspended even if their conduct doesn't involve criminal activity or a violation of the U's student code of conduct. There is very little doubt that if Fleck had been the Gopher's coach last year he would have suspended multiple players for their involvement in the gang bang scandal without waiting for the EOAA Report.

I'm saying these are college kids and most of them will break significant team rules over the course of the year. Fleck could suspend any one of them without causing a mutiny, and could choose to look the other way without causing a mutiny.

Really? Name some "significant team rules" that "most will break."

No it's not. Getting benched because you don't fit a system is much different than getting suspended. You are claiming Devers was SUSPENDED (i.e. didn't dress) because he doesn't fit a system. You are crazy.

He did.

They did.

Language used on BTN last night was Croft "no longer with the team" although the detail was that he wouldn't dress for the next game. No durther details on the reason.

"He's gone! Oh, and actually he just won't dress for Saturday."

This had to come from Dienhart or DiNardo. :D

Underage drinking.

I would argue that most coaches only look at it as a "Significant team rule" if you are caught.

I speed from time to time and know its a law/rule I'm breaking, but know there are consequences if I get caught.

There is very little doubt that if Fleck had been the Gopher's coach last year he would have suspended multiple players for their involvement in the gang bang scandal without waiting for the EOAA Report.

Oh, you mean exactly like Claeys did?

There is very little doubt that if Fleck had been the Gopher's coach last year he would have suspended multiple players for their involvement in the gang bang scandal without waiting for the EOAA Report.

I thought multiple players did not participate in multiple games before the EOAA report was finished? My memory goes in & out often though, so you can correct me if I'm wrong.....

Edit: Damn you, dpodoll, beat me to it....you're quicker than a cat!

Oh, you mean exactly like Claeys did?

I think everyone can just set the Cruze bot to ignore now.

Dude has clearly demonstrated that he doesn't actually know what occurred in the past and can't acknowledge even the most basic elements of past events that you can find simply by googling ... nor can he understand them when he is spoon fed them here.

Top Bottom