2017 Gopher Baseball Season Thread

3rd straight conference loss after starting out the B1G season on a roll. Frustrating and disappointing loss that were similar to the 2 in Indiana. Gophers didn't have much luck tonight lots of hard hit balls right at Nebraska players, 4-5 balls that looked like they were gonna be gone die at the wall for outs, and every close strike/ball call seemed to go Nebraska's way. Nebraska kind of stole a run in the 1st with a lead off single from Meyers who had 4 of Nebraska's 8 hits followed by the runner stealing 2nd and 3rd with a strikeout in between there and then a sac fly to score the run. Gophers answered in the 2nd scoring a run on a leadoff double followed by a couple groundouts. The Gophers took the lead in the 4th with a single from Ben Mezzenga followed by an absolute shot by Terrin Vavra for a 2 run homerun. I really thought that was all the Gophers would need with the way Lucas Gilbreath was pitching but after a strikeout started the inning Nebraska got a double in the 5th followed by a walk where Gilbreath had the batter 0-2 and looked to strike him out a couple times and a 2-2 hit by pitch. Nebraska would get a single to score 2 as the 2nd runner was called safe on a very close play at the plate. Things stayed the same until the 8th when Nebraska got a leadoff single again by Meyers followed by a sac bunt and error on the throw to set up 1st and 3rd and nobody out. Tyler Hanson got a popup for the 1st out and then the Gophers went to Brian Glowicki. Glowicki got a groundball just out of the reach of Vavra so it was a run scoring single instead of a double play. Nebraska would get another single to score another run before Glowicki got out of the inning. Lucas Gilbreath went 6 innings giving up 3 runs on 3 hits walking 2 and striking out 7. Tyler Hanson went 1.1 innings and gave up 2 runs on 2 hits while striking out 2. Brian Glowicki went 2/3 of an inning and gave up 2 hits while striking out 1. Tim Shannon went 1 inning and gave up a hit. Offensively Terrin Vavra had 2 hits one of them being the homerun. Ben Mezzenga came in for Alex Boxwell after his 1st at bat so thinking Boxwell tweaked something again. Mezzenga was 2-3 with a ground ruled double that would have been a triple easy if it stayed in play. Gophers need to stop the skid tomorrow and find a way to take this very important series with wins Saturday and Sunday.

3rd straight conference loss after starting out the B1G season on a roll. Frustrating and disappointing loss that were similar to the 2 in Indiana. Gophers didn't have much luck tonight lots of hard hit balls right at Nebraska players, 4-5 balls that looked like they were gonna be gone die at the wall for outs, and every close strike/ball call seemed to go Nebraska's way. Nebraska kind of stole a run in the 1st with a lead off single from Meyers who had 4 of Nebraska's 8 hits followed by the runner stealing 2nd and 3rd with a strikeout in between there and then a sac fly to score the run. Gophers answered in the 2nd scoring a run on a leadoff double followed by a couple groundouts. The Gophers took the lead in the 4th with a single from Ben Mezzenga followed by an absolute shot by Terrin Vavra for a 2 run homerun. I really thought that was all the Gophers would need with the way Lucas Gilbreath was pitching but after a strikeout started the inning Nebraska got a double in the 5th followed by a walk where Gilbreath had the batter 0-2 and looked to strike him out a couple times and a 2-2 hit by pitch. Nebraska would get a single to score 2 as the 2nd runner was called safe on a very close play at the plate. Things stayed the same until the 8th when Nebraska got a leadoff single again by Meyers followed by a sac bunt and error on the throw to set up 1st and 3rd and nobody out. Tyler Hanson got a popup for the 1st out and then the Gophers went to Brian Glowicki. Glowicki got a groundball just out of the reach of Vavra so it was a run scoring single instead of a double play. Nebraska would get another single to score another run before Glowicki got out of the inning. Lucas Gilbreath went 6 innings giving up 3 runs on 3 hits walking 2 and striking out 7. Tyler Hanson went 1.1 innings and gave up 2 runs on 2 hits while striking out 2. Brian Glowicki went 2/3 of an inning and gave up 2 hits while striking out 1. Tim Shannon went 1 inning and gave up a hit. Offensively Terrin Vavra had 2 hits one of them being the homerun. Ben Mezzenga came in for Alex Boxwell after his 1st at bat so thinking Boxwell tweaked something again. Mezzenga was 2-3 with a ground ruled double that would have been a triple easy if it stayed in play. Gophers need to stop the skid tomorrow and find a way to take this very important series with wins Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for the update. The Rutgers cancellation may really screw them. The one series I hoped we would sweep was this one. Nebraska has poached some good players from here and I want to be able to give my brother, who has two degrees from Lincoln, some grief. My Beavs smacked them around in the Surprise tourney.
Probably going today. How was the crowd?

Thanks for the update. The Rutgers cancellation may really screw them. The one series I hoped we would sweep was this one. Nebraska has poached some good players from here and I want to be able to give my brother, who has two degrees from Lincoln, some grief. My Beavs smacked them around in the Surprise tourney.
Probably going today. How was the crowd?
Thought I heard them announce as 1,100 and change. Lots of people over at the softball game too kind of think that splits some of the fans would like to see the game times spaced out a little better so fans could see all of both games if they wanted to.

Solid win over Nebraska today, 5-3. Would be nice to take the series and keep up with Maryland in the loss column.

Gophers bounce back with a pretty solid performance. Minnesota scored first in the 1st as Jordan Kozicky had a leadoff single to left followed by a bunt single from Terrin Vavra and then a 1 out single up the middle from Toby Hanson after Micah Coffey struck out. The Gophers would have a chance for more in the 1st as they loaded the bases with 2 outs but Cole McDevitt struck out as he was called out on a 3-2 pitch that I thought was low. Nebraska answered in the 2nd with a 2 out solo homerun. The Gophers scored 2 runs in the 2nd as Luke Pettersen singled, Ben Mezzenga had a bunt single, and Kozicky walked to set up bases loaded and nobody out. Vavra hit a sac fly and Coffey drove in another run with a groundout. Nebraska again answered in the 3rd and again with 2 outs as they got a single and advanced to 2nd on a balk and followed by another singled to score the run before the inning ended. The Gophers would get 2 more in the bottom of the 3rd as Matt Stemper walked on 4 pitches and Nebraska would change pitchers and Jordan Smith would greet him with a 2 run homerun. Nebraska would get their last run of the game in the 4th and again it came after their first 2 batters were retired. A hit by pitch, a walk, and a single led to the run. Brett Schulze went the first 4 innings and gave up 3 runs on 5 hits, 2 walks, and struck out 4. Reggie Meyer was really solid in relief going 3.2 innings allowing 0 runs on just 2 hits, 1 walk, and 2 strikeouts. Nick Lackney came in to finish the 8th and stranded the runner at 2nd after allowing a walk he struck out the pinch hitter with the tying runs on 2nd and 3rd. Brian Glowicki finished it out again with a fly out, a walk, and 2 strike outs in the 9th. All but 2 players had hits for the Gophers and were led by Jordan Smith and Luke Pettersen with multiple hits and the big blow being the 2 run homerun from Smith. Vavra, Coffey, and Hanson each also drove in runs. Big win for the Gophers today and sets up a really big one tomorrow need to win the series.

Gophers record this year is above my expectations, but I think in the end, it's our starting pitching that will nip us in the butt. So far your four man pitching rotation (counting mid-week starts) era's are around 2.5, 5, 7 and 4.5. These Era's for starting pitchers are too high. Instead of switching pitchers, I think Anderson is going with the idea that the starting pitchers will get better, so do not change anything. Maybe no one else would be better as a starter or Anderson does not want to take away from the relief pitching. While I think it may be time for a change or two. I hope whatever route Anderson takes, we go 38-12 this year.

Losing to the Huskers is getting very old. The Huskers have dominated the Gophers since joining the B1G. I believe this makes it 13-3 in the Huskers favor. To add a little salt in the wound, 3 Minnesota kids had good weekends against the Gophers. Roskim, Altavilla and Paulkert all contributed to their series win.

It looked like things would start well for the Gophers as Toby Anderson had a quick 1st inning with a strikeout, a single, and then a double play and Jordan Kozicky led the Gophers off with a double but things changed pretty quick. The Gophers didn't score Kozicky as 2 fly outs to left and center and a groundout followed. Nebraska took advantage of Toby Anderson struggling to hit spots as they started the 2nd with single, single, double, walk, single, before the Gophers finally got a double play and fly out to end the inning but not before Nebraska took a 3-0 lead. Nebraska struck for 2 more in the 4th with a 2 run homerun after the Gophers went 1,2,3 with the bats in the 2nd and 3rd. The Gophers showed some life in the 4th getting back to back singles by Terrin Vavra and Micah Coffey followed by a 3 run homerun from Toby Hanson and a solo homerun for Matt Stemper and a single from Jordan Smith so it was 5-4 with a runner on 1st and nobody out but Nebraska got out of the inning without any more damage. Tyler Hanson came in to pitch in the 5th for the Gophers and had a 1,2,3 inning. With 2 outs in the 5th Vavra and Coffey again hit back to back singles and Toby Hanson looked to do more damage but just got under a good pitch to hit so instead of a 3 run homerun it was a flyball caught at the warning track. Tyler Hanson got out of a bit of trouble in the 6th and didn't allow any runs to Nebraska. The Gophers looked like they would at least tie the game in the 6th as they got a leadoff single from Stemper followed by another single from Jordan Smith setting up 1st and 2nd with nobody out. Freshman Eli Wilson was called upon to bunt but couldn't get it down twice and then with 2 strikes hit into a 4-6-3 double play and Troy Traxler followed that with a strikeout to end the 6th. Nebraska had a couple hits and a mental mistake from the Gophers to setup bases loaded nobody out in the 7th. The Gophers brought in Nick Lackney and he got the 1st batter to strike out but the 3rd strike was a wild pitch to score a run. Following a intentional walk Lackney induced a popup to 3rd and flyout to center to allow just the 1 run. Tim Shannon pitched a perfect 8th and the Gophers had a threat in the bottom of the 8th as following a close out call at 1st Hanson singled and Stemper was hit by a pitch. Nebraska brought in a new pitcher and Smith absolutely drilled a line drive but it was right at the centerfielder for out 2 and a strikeout ended the threat. Couple defensive mistakes led to a few runs for Nebraska in the 9th with 1 out a ball was hit between Coffey and Vavra and Coffey tried to cut it off but it got by him and when he did that Vavra must've lost the ball and it got through him too. Would've been 2nd out and could see it was just a lack of communication and part of it might've been it has been a while since Coffey played in the field. Another 2 Nebraska runs came on a wild throw from Vavra over Hanson's head. Looking ahead Gophers have some very winnable games down the stretch and need to build another nice win streak and that starts at Northern Illinois Tuesday. Gophers sat around 56 in the RPI coming into todays game and I'd guess todays loss will drop them to somewhere around 65. Games coming up with teams that really probably won't help you much in the RPI even with wins but will definitely hurt you with losses. @Northern Illinois(248), 3 with Illinois(173), 2 with Georgia State(218), @Penn State(201), 3 with Long Beach State(18), and 3 with Purdue(110).

I know it's a broken record but Anderson needs to shake up the starting pitching rotation. Your number 2 and 3 starters are at the bottom of your team's pitchers ERA. We just can't seem to get a lot of innings of work and seem to give up a run an inning in those two spots. I'd start Gilbreath, Meyer, and Lackney. Schulze has a great future and Anderson pitched very well last year, but this year I think it's time for a change.

Hadn't seen this before but that would be pretty weak of Rutgers. B1G should've stepped in and done their job and told Rutgers play them or forfeit them.

I know it's a broken record but Anderson needs to shake up the starting pitching rotation. Your number 2 and 3 starters are at the bottom of your team's pitchers ERA. We just can't seem to get a lot of innings of work and seem to give up a run an inning in those two spots. I'd start Gilbreath, Meyer, and Lackney. Schulze has a great future and Anderson pitched very well last year, but this year I think it's time for a change.
I think it may be time too. With the way Meyer has pitched out of the bullpen and in midweek starts combined with the way Schulze and Anderson have struggled it is probably time to give Meyer a weekend start and see what he does with it. I like Lackney but I'd be pretty nervous to start him just because of the lack of control at times. I'd probably go with Gilbreath, Schulze, and Meyer this weekend and use Anderson out of the bullpen this weekend to see if you can build some confidence back with him and if he pitches fine let him start 1 of the 2 midweek games with Georgia State the next week. The thing with Schulze and Anderson is they both have moments where they look like they're in complete control and command during the game and then it just goes. Schulze was great yesterday until he got to 2 outs and then he would struggle to get the 3rd out. Anderson faced just 3 batters in both the 1st and 3rd innings today and looked to have very good command but in the 2nd and 4th he couldn't hit any of his spots and left pretty much everything middle.

The know Lackney has struggle but last year he did well starting in midweek games. Somethings and this is not all the time, pitchers struggle in one role (relief or starting) but can excel in the next. I like Lackney's potential. I do think Meyer defineitly deserves a shot at starting pitching this weekend.

Gophers grind out the win but it wasn't easy. Gophers had a couple different chances to really open the game up and didn't and Northern Illinois took advantage of it with 2 runs in the 5th to tie it and keep it a nail bitter all the way. Tim Shannon came up very big in this game first coming in to a bases loaded jam in the 5th and getting the out to escape it. Then working out of 2nd and 3rd 1 out jams in both the 6th and 7th. Nolan Burchill went the first 4.2 innings allowing 2 runs on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 2. Jake Stevenson came in for his first appearance in a while and struggled walking a batter and hitting a batter. Tim Shannon then went the next 2.1 innings allowing 4 hits and striking out 2. Alex Farley came in for the 8th and got 2 outs striking out a batter and walking a batter. Brian Glowicki went the final 1.1 innings for the save. He gave up 1 hit and 1 walk while finishing off the win. Offensively Toby Hanson led the way with 3 hits and drove in 2 runs. Micah Coffey and Luke Pettersen each had 2 hits while Cole McDevitt came through with a single in the 8th to drive in Toby Hanson from 2nd.

Can't lose these if you want to make NCAAs. Good win...

Unless they win the Big Ten tournament I don't see them making the NCAA Tournament. Right now their RPI is in the mid 60's I believe which is 5th best in the Big Ten. The teams they have left to play all have RPI's in the 100's. I don't see them moving up much.

Unless they win the Big Ten tournament I don't see them making the NCAA Tournament. Right now their RPI is in the mid 60's I believe which is 5th best in the Big Ten. The teams they have left to play all have RPI's in the 100's. I don't see them moving up much.

They do play a ranked Cal State Fullerton team in a weekend series coming up.

I think Long beach stat has a high RPI. If we run the table and take the series from Long Beach State, we'd be in the NCAA tourney, without having to win the Big Ten tournament. We'd probably have to go 12-2 or 13-1. Not impossible but not probable considering our stating pitching struggles.

The rest of the conference games won't really help you at all in the RPI but could hurt you so important to take care of business there. Although when you look the Gophers have moved up 4 spots since the beginning of the week and that is with beating #249 in the RPI yesterday. Win the games you should win the rest of the way and I think it will turn out alright. Something like a 11-3 finish to end the regular season at 35-15 and a RPI in the mid 45-50's would put you in a alright situation heading into the conference tournament. Long Beach State series in mid May could be huge to enhance the RPI. Think you would also get a bump no matter the RPI if you could find a way to win the regular season conference championship again and with the remaining conference opponents it is doable.

A look at the stretch run in the B1G

Current B1G Tournament Seedings
#1 Maryland (12-3)
#2 Minnesota (8-4)
#3 Nebraska (7-4-1)
#4 Purdue (9-6)
#5 Michigan (7-5)
#6 Indiana (8-6-1)
#7 Iowa (6-6)
#8 Rutgers (4-5)
Outside Looking In
9 Northwestern (5-7)
10 Michigan State (5-7)
11 Ohio State (4-8)
12 Illinois (3-9)
13 Penn State (2-10)

Easiest to Most Difficult Remaining B1G Schedules (opponents' B1G winning % in parentheses)
1 Iowa (.292) -- Penn State, @ Michigan State, Ohio State, @ Illinois
2 Nebraska (.333) -- @ Ohio State, Rutgers, Michigan State, @ Penn State
3 Gophers (.359) -- Illinois, @ Penn State, Purdue
4 Maryland (.423) -- @ Indiana, @ Illinois, Northwestern
5 Michigan (.458) -- @ Rutgers, Ohio State, @ Purdue, @ Michigan State (2), Michigan State (1)
6 Indiana (.462) -- Maryland, Penn State, @ Ohio State
7 Rutgers (.469) -- Michigan, @ Nebraska, Illinois, @ Northwestern
8 Michigan State (.531) -- @ Northwestern, Iowa, @ Nebraska, Michigan (2), @ Michigan (1)
9 Purdue (.556) -- Northwestern, Michigan, @ Minnesota
10 Ohio State (.569) -- Nebraska, @ Michigan, @ Iowa, Indiana
T11 Northwestern (.588) -- Michigan State, @ Purdue, @ Maryland, Rutgers
T11 Penn State (.588) -- @ Iowa, Minnesota, @ Indiana, Nebraska
13 Illinois (.625) -- @ Minnesota, Maryland, @ Rutgers, Iowa

What I glean from this is:

(1) Maryland (12-3), the Gophers (8-4), Nebraska (7-4-1), Michigan (7-5), Indiana (8-6-1), and Iowa (6-6) are locks for the B1G Tournament. There are 6 of your qualifiers.

(2) Purdue (9-6) is pretty close to a lock, but finishing with Michigan (home) and the Gophers (road) gives me pause.

(3) Ohio State (4-8) is one of the B1G's best programs, but the Buckeyes' finishing stretch is brutal. Bucks will be sitting it out this year.

(4) Rutgers (4-5), Michigan State (5-7), and Northwestern (5-7) are the 3 teams battling for what is likely the final spot in the B1G Tournament. I give a slight edge to the winner of this weekend's Michigan State-Northwestern series winner in Evanston.

(5) If Rutgers sneaks into the tournament (via winning percentage) in part because it made minimal effort to hop on a plane and at least get the final 2 games of the Gophers series in, it's a joke. If the series is not made up, which appears will be the case, the B1G needs to step in and call (at least) 2 of the games forfeit losses for Rutgers. You're in the big time now, Rutgers, you don't fail to show up for an entire conference series because you had flight issues on the day you were leaving. You find another way and get there, even if it's a day late. The weather was absolutely gorgeous that weekend.

Losing to the Huskers is getting very old. The Huskers have dominated the Gophers since joining the B1G. I believe this makes it 13-3 in the Huskers favor. To add a little salt in the wound, 3 Minnesota kids had good weekends against the Gophers. Roskim, Altavilla and Paulkert all contributed to their series win.
That's just weird. On the flip side Iowa has pretty much dominated Nebraska. And then I think Minnesota has kind of had Iowa number. I don't know what that number looks like though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current B1G Tournament Seedings
#1 Maryland (12-3)
#2 Minnesota (8-4)
#3 Nebraska (7-4-1)
#4 Purdue (9-6)
#5 Michigan (7-5)
#6 Indiana (8-6-1)
#7 Iowa (6-6)
#8 Rutgers (4-5)
Outside Looking In
9 Northwestern (5-7)
10 Michigan State (5-7)
11 Ohio State (4-8)
12 Illinois (3-9)
13 Penn State (2-10)

Easiest to Most Difficult Remaining B1G Schedules (opponents' B1G winning % in parentheses)
1 Iowa (.292) -- Penn State, @ Michigan State, Ohio State, @ Illinois
2 Nebraska (.333) -- @ Ohio State, Rutgers, Michigan State, @ Penn State
3 Gophers (.359) -- Illinois, @ Penn State, Purdue
4 Maryland (.423) -- @ Indiana, @ Illinois, Northwestern
5 Michigan (.458) -- @ Rutgers, Ohio State, @ Purdue, @ Michigan State (2), Michigan State (1)
6 Indiana (.462) -- Maryland, Penn State, @ Ohio State
7 Rutgers (.469) -- Michigan, @ Rutgers, Illinois, @ Northwestern
8 Michigan State (.531) -- @ Northwestern, Iowa, @ Nebraska, Michigan (2), @ Michigan (1)
9 Purdue (.556) -- Northwestern, Michigan, @ Minnesota
10 Ohio State (.569) -- Nebraska, @ Michigan, @ Iowa, Indiana
T11 Northwestern (.588) -- Michigan State, @ Purdue, @ Maryland, Rutgers
T11 Penn State (.588) -- @ Iowa, Minnesota, @ Indiana, Nebraska
13 Illinois (.625) -- @ Minnesota, Maryland, @ Rutgers, Iowa

What I glean from this is:

(1) Maryland (12-3), the Gophers (8-4), Nebraska (7-4-1), Michigan (7-5), Indiana (8-6-1), and Iowa (6-6) are locks for the B1G Tournament. There are 6 of your qualifiers.

(2) Purdue (9-6) is pretty close to a lock, but finishing with Michigan (home) and the Gophers (road) gives me pause.

(3) Ohio State (4-8) is one of the B1G's best programs, but the Buckeyes' finishing stretch is brutal. Bucks will be sitting it out this year.

(4) Rutgers (4-5), Michigan State (5-7), and Northwestern (5-7) are the 3 teams battling for what is likely the final spot in the B1G Tournament. I give a slight edge to the winner of this weekend's Michigan State-Northwestern series winner in Evanston.

(5) If Rutgers sneaks into the tournament (via winning percentage) in part because it made minimal effort to hop on a plane and at least get the final 2 games of the Gophers series in, it's a joke. If the series is not made up, which appears will be the case, the B1G needs to step in and call (at least) 2 of the games forfeit losses for Rutgers. You're in the big time now, Rutgers, you don't fail to show up for an entire conference series because you had flight issues on the day you were leaving. You find another way and get there, even if it's a day late. The weather was absolutely gorgeous that weekend.
Iowa could easily be sitting in a much different position. They lose two out of three vs Rutgers at home. If they sweep that series they are tied for second place. This has been a fun season though because there's no dominant team and everybody seems capable of beating each other. That makes it fun

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Updated B1G Weekend Slate

Weather has caused quite a few schedule changes. The latest game times:

Friday
Michigan State (5-7) @ Northwestern (5-7), 12
Michigan (7-5) @ Rutgers (4-5), 2
Maryland (12-3) @ Indiana (8-6-1), 3:05
Michigan State @ Northwestern, 3:30 (Game 2 of DH)
Illinois (3-9) @ GOPHERS (8-4), 4
Nebraska (7-4-1) @ Ohio State (4-8), 5:35
Penn State (2-10) @ Iowa (6-6), 6

Saturday
Michigan @ Rutgers, 12
Michigan State @ Northwestern, 12
Illinois @ GOPHERS, 1
Maryland @ Indiana, 1:05
Penn State @ Iowa, 2
Nebraska @ Ohio State, 2:05
Illinois @ GOPHERS, 4:30 (Game 2 of DH)

Sunday
Michigan @ Rutgers, 10
Penn State @ Iowa, 11
Maryland @ Indiana, 11
Nebraska @ Ohio State, 11:05

Closer game than it should have been but got the win and that is all that really matters. Lucas Gilbreath got the win going 6.1 innings allowing 2 runs on 3 hits while striking out 7 and walking 3. Tim Shannon went the next 1.2 innings allowing just 1 hit while striking out 2. Brian Glowicki got the save giving up 2 runs though neither was earned on 2 hits while striking out 2. Offensively Toby Hanson supplied the big blow with a mammoth 3 run homerun in the 3rd. The Gophers added another run in the 5th as Terrin Vavra reached on a fielders choice followed by back to back singles from Micah Coffey and Hanson. The Gophers got another run in the 7th on a bases loaded infield single from Matt Stemper. Gophers had a couple chances to really blow the game open and didn't convert though. They had 1st and 3rd and nobody out in the 6th but a strikeout and double play ended the threat. They had bases loaded nobody out in the 7th and only were able to get 1 run. Hopefully a couple good starts from Brett Schulze and Toby Anderson tomorrow to get the all important sweep this weekend.

The biggest key to the Gophers season is their number 2 and 3 starting pitchers. It will be interesting to see if Anderson makes a change to his starting pitchers tomorrow or goes with the same guys. Somehow one way or another, Anderson needs to figure out, how to get better production from the 2nd and 3rd spot in the pitching rotation. Whether that's keep the same guys or go with someone different.

Terrible pathetic loss, just an absolute choke job in game 2 of the series from the Gophers. Gophers led 5-2 going to the 9th and brought out Tyler Hanson for his 3rd inning of work. Hanson had pitched 2 solid innings and retired the first batter in the 9th but the next 2 hitters singled and the Gophers would turn to closer Brian Glowicki. Glowicki gave up a single, walk, single, and hit by pitch to tie the game before the Gophers would go to Tim Shannon. Shannon came in and gave up a grand slam to the first hitter. Gophers went down weakly in the bottom of the 9th which was expected after a huge collapse like you saw in the top of the 9th. Would think this loss to a bad team like Illinois will do a lot of damage to the RPI and really hurt your at large tournament chances. Freshman Brett Schulze stepped up with a really solid start going 6 innings allowing just 2 runs(1 earned) on 5 hits while walking 1 and striking out 7. Gonna see how mentally tough these guys are and how good of job these coaches can do in getting everyone ready for game 3 which imo. is a game you have to win.

In game 3 of the series and 2 of the day the Gophers response has been virtually nothing. The pitching, defense, and hitting has been terrible trailing 10-0 through 2.5 innings. SR Toby Anderson who has had a hugely disappointing season went just 2+ innings giving up 2 homeruns in the 1st inning. Reggie Meyer came in out of the bullpen and also struggled I believe he retired just 1 hitter. Nick Lackney came into the game and got out of the 3rd inning and we will see how long he can go. Gophers might have to start quit worrying about what they need to do to make the NCAA tournament and just worry about making the B1G tournament. Heck with the way they looked in the 9th inning of the first game today and throughout this 2nd game today they will struggle to beat a bad Georgia State team in the 2 midweek games coming up.

UGLY, Gophers lose not just 1 game but the series to a team that was swept at Purdue last weekend. RPI should settle in somewhere around mid 70s maybe up to 80 with these 2 bad losses. Really need a 5-0 week next week. That 9th inning could be the thing that sends this season downhill but we will see if this team can respond Tuesday night against Georgia State which I believe will be on BTN. Biggest thing is Gophers need to get back to playing good baseball all the way around. They didn't play well Sunday against Nebraska, Tuesday against Northern Illinois, and even though they should've won the first 2 games of the series against Illinois they didn't play great in those games either.
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It is now win the B1G tournament or no post season for the Gophers. With the pitching staff performing the way they are now, that will not happen. Hopefully they play well enough to get to the conference tournament. Very disappointing.

Top Bottom