All Things Matthew Hurt Thread (Rochester JM, Class of 2019)

Scary thing is that this guy is my age and is 6'8. I can't imagine anyone in my grade close to 6'8. Another thing is I am very interested in how he progresses through the years

If Matthew keeps growing, getting stronger, getting more talented, gets more experienced, he is going to be the highest, most sought after recruited Minnesota player, probably ever.

No, he won't.

Tyus was actually #1 in the country on ESPN at the beginning of his junior year and was top two almost always right until the end.

okay not arguing

No, he won't.

It's a message board. What am trying to convey is that Matthew Hurt is very good now. If he continues to improve he'll be spectacular. Keep in mind, he is a 13,14 year old competing
against 17,18 year olds. That's different than an 18 year old competing against a 23 year imo. There are not too many players of any age shooting 63% from the field averaging 15 points or more.

247 had Tyus at #7 overall, Rashad at #12, Reid at #37. I wasn't talking Olberding era. Like somebody said in the internet era... if he's a top 5 guy (in 3-4 years) would that do it? There's nobody back to 2002 on 247.
He's smooth dpo. He's 6-8 as an 8th grader....most guys grow a lot all through high school. (Girls don't)

Tyus was actually #1 in the country on ESPN at the beginning of his junior year and was top two almost always right until the end.

ESPN has Tyus at #4 now, so he's top five. That's hard to do for a point guard, I'd say.

It's a message board. What am trying to convey is that Matthew Hurt is very good now. If he continues to improve he'll be spectacular. Keep in mind, he is a 13,14 year old competing
against 17,18 year olds. That's different than an 18 year old competing against a 23 year imo. There are not too many players of any age shooting 63% from the field averaging 15 points or more.

247 had Tyus at #7 overall, Rashad at #12, Reid at #37. I wasn't talking Olberding era. Like somebody said in the internet era... if he's a top 5 guy (in 3-4 years) would that do it? There's nobody back to 2002 on 247.
He's smooth dpo. He's 6-8 as an 8th grader....most guys grow a lot all through high school. (Girls don't)

The question for Matthew will be 2 sided. 1.) Will he keep growing and 2.) Will he keep developing his skills and athleticism as kids his age catch up to him naturally in terms of size and strength. Not all guys keep growing though HS. I had a friend top out at 6'3" in 9th grade.

The question for Matthew will be 2 sided. 1.) Will he keep growing and 2.) Will he keep developing his skills and athleticism as kids his age catch up to him naturally in terms of size and strength. Not all guys keep growing though HS. I had a friend top out at 6'3" in 9th grade.

Have you seen Matthew, though? He's not 6'8" because he went through puberty early.

Just because "it's a message board" doesn't mean I'm going to refrain from commenting when people make outlandish comments. He's already quite good and is likely to be very good, possibly even a 5-star. But he's not going to be the highest-rated or most sought-after player ever from Minnesota, even if you limit it to the internet era.

Somebody has to be...right?

Just because "it's a message board" doesn't mean I'm going to refrain from commenting when people make outlandish comments. He's already quite good and is likely to be very good, possibly even a 5-star. But he's not going to be the highest-rated or most sought-after player ever from Minnesota, even if you limit it to the internet era.

Tell me who is? Who does he have to outrank to do so, in your eyes? I said could be, you disputed my comments.
Who we arguing about? Or are you saying somebody will eventually surpass Matthew, even if he does acheive that status? So "ever" is only temporary...if that's your point...I do realize that. Sounds to me like you agree he is a candidate to become best ever. No way, did I say he was already, just that he could be and I acknowledge there are lots of variables to reaching that level that are unknown at this point. But the most immediate one for this discussion is why you think he can't, because that's limiting and definitive. How do justify that conclusion? Just saying it doesn't make it so, without further explanation supporting your conclusion for me to agree with you.
He is the best candidate I'm aware of to be in that discussion from Minnesota through 2019.

Hurt won't be one of the top ranked recruits to come from Minnesota unless he puts up Broman type numbers or performs at a star level in the EYBL for multiple seasons. He may have the talent, but just being a star at John Marshall isn't going to lead to a high recruiting ranking. The top recruits prove themselves against the best of the best. The Big 9 is leaps and bounds below the top cities leagues.

Hurt won't be one of the top ranked recruits to come from Minnesota unless he puts up Broman type numbers or performs at a star level in the EYBL for multiple seasons. He may have the talent, but just being a star at John Marshall isn't going to lead to a high recruiting ranking. The top recruits prove themselves against the best of the best. The Big 9 is leaps and bounds below the top cities leagues.

Henry Ellenson did okay for himself at Rice Lake.

It seems too early to say one way or another what type of national recruit Matthew Hurt will be, seeing that he's not yet a high school student. However, it's interesting to compare Matthew Hurt with Henry Ellenson, where a lot of parallels seem to exist (hopefully, only to a degree). Digging through the GopherHole archives, the first post in the "All Things Henry Ellenson" thread was when Ellenson had just completed his freshmen year at Rice Lake HS. Ellenson was a 6'8" freshman who had averaged 12 ppg that season and just received his first scholarship offer from Georgetown. He was the younger brother to two other varsity brothers, one of whom had received a scholarship from the Gophers. He was attending a high school of approximately 800 students, within a conference that does not produce a bevy of D-1 athletes, at the Division 2 level (Division 1 being the largest level within WIAA).

Hurt is a 6'8" eighth grader who averaged 15 ppg and has scholarship offers from Minnesota and Iowa State (I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong). He's the younger brother of a Gopher scholarship recipient. He's attending a high school of approximately 1600 students, within a conference that does not produce a bevy of D-1 athletes, at the 4A level (the state's highest level of athletic competition).

Ellenson finished his high school career at Rice Lake with the following national rankings: #5 (ESPN); #7 (Scout); #11 (Rivals).

Tyus Jones finished his high school ranked the following: #4 (ESPN); #9 (Scout); #7 (Rivals)

The only other contenders, in the Internet age, would be Rick Rickert, Kris Humphries, Rashad Vaughn, and Joel Pryzbilla, all top 10 composite recruits, but Jones is the standard bearer for the state of MN.

So, if Matthew Hurt continues to develop his game along the same lines of Henry Ellenson, is it that outlandish to state he could be the most highly recruited MN prep ever? Particularly given if he grows two to three more inches?

Good analysis coolhand - interesting comparison with Henry.

Whether Hurt becomes "the" most highly sought after MN recruit or not is immaterial - very few 8th graders across the country, let alone in Minnesota, receive commitable scholarship offers from a B12 program that has gone to the Tournament four years in a row. Assuming his progress is similar to Henry Ellenson's as opposed to Stan Gaines, Hurt will find himself with scholarship offers from almost every blue blood and certainly the non-blue bloods alike.

I'm sure an offer from us will not be far away. Hopefully Pitino can build this program and that Michael is a big part of it, enjoys his experience and then Matthew wants to play with him when he's a freshman and big brother is a senior.

Go Gophers!!

He's arguably the best player on D1 Minnesota's 16s as a rising frosh playing against some top talent in the country. The Adidas circuit is right up there with the EYBL. Fully expect him to do the same next summer at the 17-under level. No doubt he'll be a top 15 kid when the initial 2019 rankings come out.

He's arguably the best player on D1 Minnesota's 16s as a rising frosh playing against some top talent in the country. The Adidas circuit is right up there with the EYBL. Fully expect him to do the same next summer at the 17-under level. No doubt he'll be a top 15 kid when the initial 2019 rankings come out.

When I was a Freshman in Highschool 5 of my classmates were moved up to JV (big deal back then) and five of us stayed on the freshman team. Our top 10 players of the class were regarded as the deepest class in our city for years, and we'd made a history of winning the tournament team circuit as we went through middle school. Can you guess how many of us lettered as seniors? 2, 1 from the "top 5" and one from the "2nd 5". A kid that was on the Freshman A team that wasn't considered one of those top 10 kids also went on to play his senior year. None of those three started or played significant minutes the senior year.

Whats the point to Winasota's early 00's story of basketball (non)glory? That a lot can happen to a 15 year old kid as he goes through highschool. Times have changed, and I'm not suggesting that being the apple of a small town in Wisconsin's eye is anything close to being a top 50 prospect in the country, but kids are still kids. The 8 of us that flamed out did so for different reasons. Me? I had a late growth spurt and ended up focusing on baseball where my lack of size as a youngster didn't hurt me as much. A couple others focused on football, and a couple others focused on girls drugs and alcohol. Priorities change, and so can a lot of other things.

Matthew looks great today, let's start the relationship and hope it all works out for the Maroon and Gold.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Yeah I figured with the time the staff spent recruiting Michael, they'd have made Matthew aware that he's wanted here. Thoughtful of them to let Michael have his time though.

Shows respect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually a pretty cool thing for them to do. Props to whoever came up with this and Pitino as well for that one.

I guess I don't see what is so great about it. It's fine, let him know he has an offer whenever he wants it? Why not just give him a offer then?

Not a big deal, just don't find it as creative and honorable as others.

I guess I don't see what is so great about it. It's fine, let him know he has an offer whenever he wants it? Why not just give him a offer then?

Not a big deal, just don't find it as creative and honorable as others.

hey grumps, let us have some fun with our romanticism of matthew's recruitment would ya!

the ebbs and flows of matthew's recruitment as it relates to the u, likely will be tied very closely to the experience michael has at the u, his development and the family's experience. let's hope this goes better than the ellenson saga. the good thing is michael comes in as a much more complete player than wally. matthew and henry will likely have a close national ranking.

Top Bottom