Iowa State Cyclones Make A Quick Hire

DL65

Reaction score
Paul Rhoads, defensive coordinator at Auburn this past season, has been hired to replace Gene Chizik. Chizik left the Ames school after only two seasons for Auburn. His departure was only a week ago.

Rhoads, an Ankeny, Iowa native, also served as defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Panthers prior to this past season with Auburn. He also was on the coaching staff at ISU under Dan McCarney.

Personally I think Rhoads is a great selection for myriad reasons. First, if he says he's happy to be in Ames you can believe him since his hometown is less than 25 miles south of Ames. He's obviously familiar with the culture of the ISU athletic department and will, I believe, wear well with the Cyclone fans. He's also a reported good recruiter. I wonder if any of the Auburn commits follow Rhoads to Ames, as there appears to be a lot of discord with the departure of Tubberville and the hiring of Chizik. Time will tell.

Again, it only took one week to fill the vacancy created by Chizik's departure.

Go Gophers!!

whats the deal with the ISU and Auburn connection? first Chizik to ISU then Chizik to Auburn, now Rhoads to ISU?? Is the AD at ISU a Auburn grad or something?

Rhoads in from Ankeny. Ankeny is only 25.41 miles from Ames, according to Mapquest.

He probably grew up a Clones fan.

Paul Rhoads dad was also a Iowa High School coach for 30 years who was just elected into the Iowa Athletics hall of fame. His dad's relationships and his name should definitely help his relationships with the in-state high school coaches.

What happened with Fullmer? That to me would have been the big name hire they need.

Top Bottom