Goldy in hot water from USA Today

I saw that and I thought it was hilarious.

Damn you Goldy! Now I know why God was on Penn State's side!

I thought it was hilarious, the overly sensitive type may not, which brings us to a whole different issue: why the hell did this player feel the need to do his whole religious prayer ordeal on the field in front of everyone in the stadium??? I'm guessing the locker room was a perfectly fine place to do such a thing??? Instead he is just another one of "those guys" who feels the need to be the overly religious dude in front of everyone. Is Goldy the problem, or are these athletes using religion as some form of attention to themselves the problem?? Good work Goldy!!!

I thought it was hilarious, the overly sensitive type may not, which brings us to a whole different issue: why the hell did this player feel the need to do his whole religious prayer ordeal on the field in front of everyone in the stadium??? I'm guessing the locker room was a perfectly fine place to do such a thing??? Instead he is just another one of "those guys" who feels the need to be the overly religious dude in front of everyone. Is Goldy the problem, or are these athletes using religion as some form of attention to themselves the problem?? Good work Goldy!!!
Agreed 100%. Hayes is trying to draw attention to himself so a little good natured ribbing is absolutely fair game.

uh-oh. i sense a religious debate coming on.

i hardly think that taking a knee in the end zone is an attempt to bring attention to himself, i think he is actually just praying.

i hardly think that taking a knee in the end zone is an attempt to bring attention to himself, i think he is actually just praying.

No, this has nothing to do about religion. I just stated that if he wants to bring it out on the field in front of everyone, then he is bringing it on himself, keep it in the locker room.

I don't know if it is a religious debate, or a "how do you represent your school" debate.

I thought it was disrespectful. Goldy was certainly within his rights to do what he saw as humorous. The problem is he represents The University of Minnesota, so I think erring on the side of caution would have been the way to go. Ultimately I think it comes down to respect, which is something that is lacking in society today. I thought Goldy showed poor taste.

No, this has nothing to do about religion. I just stated that if he wants to bring it out on the field in front of everyone, then he is bringing it on himself, keep it in the locker room.

no, what if one of his fellow teammates is offended by his prayer in the locker room. then will you tell him to keep it at home. there are a lot of people out there who do things that are MUCH more annoying for attention. i mean c'mon, do i need to mention the balloon boy.

While I personally get a chuckle out of the picture, I have to think that if this were flip-flopped and an opposing mascot, say the Nittany Lion, was mocking a Gopher player in a moment of prayer in TCF Bank Stadium, there would be an uproar about how disrespectful that is, how it's a reflection of the program's culture, etc.

While I personally get a chuckle out of the picture, I have to think that if this were flip-flopped and an opposing mascot, say the Nittany Lion, was mocking a Gopher player in a moment of prayer in TCF Bank Stadium, there would be an uproar about how disrespectful that is, how it's a reflection of the program's culture, etc.
Absolutely, then I'd still be saying it was funny and I'd be accused of being an arbitrary contrarian again. :|

However I am standing by my assertion that Goldy owns.

yawn

No mocking, no controversy, nothing about nothing.

If Goldy wanted to mock a PSU player for his religious views, it should have been TE Andrew Quarless, who has the words "GODS GIFT" tattooed on each arm.

It's all about interpretation. Normally when you see someone praying you stop and or join in. That is assuming you acknowledge such things.

The player could also be taken to task. One should be slow to anger and quick to reconcile.

With all of that said, I think Goldy probably stopped to acknowledge the prayer, and the player most likely quickly transitioned to game mode, thus blowing off the mascot.

IMO This is a non-issue!

Props goldy, who cares.

Is this news? Maybe to the easily offended home schooler Tebow types?

oh good god this is not a big deal...and then the idiot on camera..."he clearly mocked his prayer that's not cool" wow

if goldy air humps the kneelers face that is mocking, but like the poster said earlier, maybe Goldy is just praying too.

Not to change the topic, but the Goldy=controversy topic made me remember the hockey Goldy a few years back who got suspended for a few games for skating out during the intermission with a "Schmitt Sucks" sign taped to his butt (Schmitt was the ref). Or...the time that Goldy and the St. Cloud mascot duked it out during the WCHA playoffs several years ago. Goldy knocked the head off the St. Cloud mascot.

I love the U. But I didn't like this....but it isn't worth an article at the USA Today.

Our culture is too hyper sensitive.

I would tell Goldy...not a good idea...don't do it again.

GM

maybe not a big deal because we don't know what goldy was thinking or what he said. But it borderlines on bad taste. It would be like screwing around during the national anthem, it just looks bad

He was actually just praying. On the far end of the field. In the visitors corner. Away from his teammates.

Goldy didn't taunt him, or do anything lewd or derogatory in action or pantomime. If he had, no class, no excuse, never let that person dress as Goldy again. But he didn't. He knelt down in front of the player and did the same as the player did. He simply reflected on the moment.

Goldy gets religious freedom too, you know.

We will never be free until Goldy can pray without being persecuted like this.

Not disrespectful. It looked like Goldy joined the player for a moment of silence. If he was mocking the player, he would have been dancing around, pointing, jumping, who knows what else. I think Goldy was surprised at how long the player took and found himself in an awkward spot and really couldn't leave without showing disrespect. It was awkward, but not disrespectful.

We need someone that talks gopher to get to the bottom of this. I bet Chem gopher can speak gopher, he's a gorilla. he has fur and stuff. He should go ask him.

Top Bottom