A coaching suggestion for Tubby this year ...

rrjackIII

Reaction score
a bit presumptuous I know but ...

It seems to me that he uses the platoon substitution system more out of frustration at a particular time of the game than out of any designed strategic in-game moves. With 13 players looking for playing time this year (14 if you count Allen after our mid December Bowl game) the job of in-game player substitution pattern should become a full time job for an assistant coach to concentrate on during the game at the bench. Tubby has enough to do using the 'Tubby stare', official consultation, Player motivation, overall game coordination etc. He could decide - type of offense - small lineup - big lineup - 3 guard offense - pressing defense etc and then let the designated assistant make the player moves to fit the type of offense or defense that Tubby wants to run. If Tubby wants to take a certain player(s) out for some bonehead move he could signal the designated assistant to find the right player to substitute for that player at that time. The 5 player platoon substitution could still be used but leave it up to the designated assistant to make that call and obviously Tubby could overrule any decision.

I read here earlier that Tom Izzo lets his assistant make the substitutions for MSU. Other sports have assistant coaches in charge of player substitutions while the head coach oversees the overall product. If you played just 7 or 8 players the job of moving players in and out would be a lot more manageable - but with all the depth we have this year its time to give this responsibility to an assistant to concentrate on full time during the game in order to juggle all the player substitutions.

Thinking the same thing...

Somebody (Jisa?) has got to be working on a substitution pattern based on past and present performance but I'm sure Tubby is regularly adjusting the plan.

When I see a mass substitution I can't help but remember Monson doing the same thing. Of course Monson was doing it because he little talent to work with and had no idea what to do at times.

I fully believe in Tubby but I have a hard time believing that there isn't at least one player doing what he wants at any given time. It seems when they send in 5 players they all have to warm-up/adjust at the same time and there is a little lag time in effectiveness.

Somebody (Jisa?) has got to be working on a substitution pattern based on past and present performance but I'm sure Tubby is regularly adjusting the plan.

When I see a mass substitution I can't help but remember Monson doing the same thing. Of course Monson was doing it because he little talent to work with and had no idea what to do at times.

I fully believe in Tubby but I have a hard time believing that there isn't at least one player doing what he wants at any given time. It seems when they send in 5 players they all have to warm-up/adjust at the same time and there is a little lag time in effectiveness.

I have watched Tubby basketball for years. He always keeps the player that is playing well in the game. A few years ago, UK was playing against UNC. Prince had 5-6 3s in just a few minutes. He stayed in for a long time. Another time, Prince was a scoring machine in March during one of the games??? Tubby had to call a timeout just to give him a break. He also is very hard on the players that don't follow his instructions. I remeber seeing Bogan on the bench when he could have been a major contributor on the court.

He also is very hard on the players that don't follow his instructions. I remeber seeing Bogan on the bench when he could have been a major contributor on the court.
\

As it should be!

Top Bottom