rumor mill.......jd speilman

I don’t like hand me downs from Nebraska. I’ve got higher standards. I like the WR core we have right now. I think Autman-Bell is one of the most underrated WR’s in the Big Ten for sure, and possibly in college football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't turn down players with elite speed, and that are from here. He is friends with some of our guys. If he is graduate transfer and Spielman wants to come home you likely take a shot. Not a shot against our existing guys like Autumn Bell, I like our Wide Receivers. This is all after the season stuff anyways, he would have to sit down with his folks and coaches and coach Fleck and see if there is a fit. Spielman is talented enough if he graduates that he could go to NFL too. Rumors a
Lot of times are untrue.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

With 4 receivers in the 2020 class, I’m guessing PJ won’t have room for him. I just watched Jonathan Mann’s Senior highlights. He looks and plays like a Tyler Johnson clone.

Yeah and we have a 4 star coming in. And our 3 returners Bateman, CRAB, and Douglas are pretty good. My feeling is that Douglas won’t be our #3. I feel like a freshman nabs that spot. But if we could snag some transfers from top schools at the D-line and O-line, I’d be thrilled.

Last edited:

I don’t like hand me downs from Nebraska. I’ve got higher standards. I like the WR core we have right now. I think Autman-Bell is one of the most underrated WR’s in the Big Ten for sure, and possibly in college football.

Completely agree. We saw Batemen explode this year once teams prioritized TJ, and I expect the same to happen next year for Crab. We have the beginnings of the WR version of Wiscy's RBs. Every time one star leaves, another takes his place.

Daniel Jackson looks like Rondale Moore on some of these plays. He is dynamic.

Here’s his highlights from his first 9 games, coming off ACL surgery a year ago. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7648726/5d9903e690f93e0d0c477863

I’m pretty excited about both Jackson and Mann.

Yeah me too. I say screw Spielman if the rumor on the street is true. He had other chances to come here. he could have committed originally and could have transferred before. But he wants to come our way now that we look dominant and Nebbie looks like garbage, no thanks. You don’t get to act like a Lebron James and come to whatever school seems like it’s hot enough for you. I personally don’t want someone that will only come to us when the gettin is good. It’s disrespectful to the guys that had to grind it out through the bad seasons. And he could have been here to help us be better in those bad years, but he didn’t want to. He was happy to see us suck when he thought Nebbie was the up and comer.

Completely agree. We saw Batemen explode this year once teams prioritized TJ, and I expect the same to happen next year for Crab. We have the beginnings of the WR version of Wiscy's RBs. Every time one star leaves, another takes his place.

With Fleck’s recruiting so far, especially at skill positions, I don’t see a point in taking other school’s hand me downs. Spielman should have to stick it out with the team he chose over us. That’s on him. I’m excited to see the WR’s that committed to us and want to be Gophers. They’re the ones that deserve to play here, not some grad transfer diva like Spielman that wants to be part of a big show next year. If this is a true rumor, I’ll take it as a compliment from him. Because players like him clearly see we’re a good landing spot for top athletes, and these athletes out there must see we could be huge the next couple years.

You take him, and don’t even hesitate unless there are character red flags. All Big Ten WR and returner with speed and YAC ability in spades - would be great in this offense.

You take him, and don’t even hesiyate unless there are character red flags. All Big Ten WR with speed and YAC ability in spades - would be great in this offense.

I get that he’s a good player, I get his credentials. It’s about principle. I think it sends a bad message to the team to take him. Would I like that talent level here? Absolutely. Would I rather we bring it in on our own with our own recruiting process? Yes. I don’t think it’s principled to let this guy come here when he sees us on the rise. It’s insulting to the teammates that could have been his on this team the past few years.

I get that he’s a good player, I get his credentials. It’s about principle. I think it sends a bad message to the team to take him. Would I like that talent level here? Absolutely. Would I rather we bring it in on our own with our own recruiting process? Yes. I don’t think it’s principled to let this guy come here when he sees us on the rise. It’s insulting to the teammates that could have been his on this team the past few years.

Dude, I couldn't disagree more about everything you have said about Spielman. I think you are the only one in Minnesota that wouldn't gladly have him on the Gopher roster next year.

You don't think people should get a second chance to right a decision they may regret. Any chance Fleck JD's father has become impressed with PJ and may even suggest to his son that Minnesota would be a great place to finish his career, around friends and family that could watch him play every Saturday?

We could lose Bateman to the draft next year and really need some help at the WR position. Spiel man to Minnesota would drive Nebraska fans crazy.

In the end, we have heard these rumors before, this time I hope it comes to fruition.

Dude, I couldn't disagree more about everything you have said about Spielman. I think you are the only one in Minnesota that wouldn't gladly have him on the Gopher roster next year.

You don't think people should get a second chance to right a decision they may regret. Any chance Fleck JD's father has become impressed with PJ and may even suggest to his son that Minnesota would be a great place to finish his career, around friends and family that could watch him play every Saturday?

We could lose Bateman to the draft next year and really need some help at the WR position. Spiel man to Minnesota would drive Nebraska fans crazy.

In the end, we have heard these rumors before, this time I hope it comes to fruition.

I don’t think Bateman is leaving. Someone close to him that I met at the Penn State game said they think he’ll stay at least another year. You’re entitled to hope he comes here. You can have your opinions. Personally I don’t think he belongs here, and I don’t care about what would make his family happy. I’d say this about any MN kid that chose another Big Ten school over us, if they tried transferring back here once we look good. Screw that. If they tried coming back due to some bad circumstances, then yes. Like if they were promised playing time they never received, or the coaching staff changed entirely and it was no longer a good fit at all there, yeah go where you think you’ll be happier. But if theyre some hotshot that wants to reap the benefits at the end of their college career off of what a lot of other players had to build together. I think that’s pathetic.

I don’t think Bateman is leaving. Someone close to him that I met at the Penn State game said they think he’ll stay at least another year. You’re entitled to hope he comes here. You can have your opinions. Personally I don’t think he belongs here, and I don’t care about what would make his family happy. I’d say this about any MN kid that chose another Big Ten school over us, if they tried transferring back here once we look good. Screw that. If they tried coming back due to some bad circumstances, then yes. Like if they were promised playing time they never received, or the coaching staff changed entirely and it was no longer a good fit at all there, yeah go where you think you’ll be happier. But if theyre some hotshot that wants to reap the benefits at the end of their college career off of what a lot of other players had to build together. I think that’s pathetic.

Bateman isn't going anywhere. He's a true sophomore. Only redshirt sophomores are eligible to be drafted.
The circumstances you lay out about the coaching staff changes apply on both sides. There's a different staff here and Spielman didn't commit to play for Scott Frost.

Bateman isn't going anywhere. He's a true sophomore. Only redshirt sophomores are eligible to be drafted.
The circumstances you lay out about the coaching staff changes apply on both sides. There's a different staff here and Spielman didn't commit to play for Scott Frost.

Not really sure where the Bateman going pro speculation keeps coming from because unless they changed the rules he has to play at least one more year of college before he becomes draft eligible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah and we have a 4 star coming in. And our 3 returners Bateman, CRAB, and Douglas are pretty good. My feeling is that Douglas won’t be our #3. I feel like a freshman nabs that spot. But if we could snag some transfers from top schools at the D-line and O-line, I’d be thrilled.

Your dismissal of JD and how we “don’t need him” is silly. I suspect you have never watched him play. Better players make the team better. Pretty straight forward.

Sends a bad message? What would that be?

Principle? Insulting? Hand me down? You realize we have other grad transfers on our team now right? You do see the trend of grad transfers in CFB, right?

Please. This is ridiculous.

Maybe Rick is asking PJ for a personal favor to get his son in a better position for the NFL draft, in exchange for being his replacement for TJ?

Not saying I believe that or that it will work or that way, just an off the wall idea.

With 4 receivers in the 2020 class, I’m guessing PJ won’t have room for him. I just watched Jonathan Mann’s Senior highlights. He looks and plays like a Tyler Johnson clone.

Makes impossible catches and drops easy ones? ?

If Fleck thinks he fits the culture then you welcome him aboard. If not, he takes a pass. Trust the coach.

Yeah, I don’t know if I want him here though. I don’t think a player that’s from here should get to go betray his home State to play for the enemy, realize it sucks there, and then come groveling back home with his tail between his legs. I don’t want guys like that here. He had his chance to be here. Just my opinion though.

What's better than having a Minnesota kid say I went to one of the more prestigious football schools in the country and decided Minnesota is better?

If he doesn't go pro, Minnesota is logical for him just so his folks can watch all his home games more conveniently. Makes total sense if PJ thinks it's a fit, which isn't a slam dunk.

It’d be ridiculous not to take him if you are only looking at his talent and ours. Of course character and chemistry play a part too, but I never heard about him being a diva until rumors of him leaving came up.

You take him, and don’t even hesitate unless there are character red flags. All Big Ten WR and returner with speed and YAC ability in spades - would be great in this offense.

This...and seems like most GH'ers agree wholeheartedly. Fleck has said many times it's his job to recruit the current starters out of jobs. If Spielman fits the culture, you take him without hesitation and then let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps it's finally the year DD82 makes the move to defense like so many have predicted over the years.

This...and seems like most GH'ers agree wholeheartedly. Fleck has said many times it's his job to recruit the current starters out of jobs. If Spielman fits the culture, you take him without hesitation and then let the chips fall where they may. Perhaps it's finally the year DD82 makes the move to defense like so many have predicted over the years.

Fleck has shown a willingness to bring in transfers although they usually tend to lean towards guys with more then one year of eligibility. Have we brought in a 1 and done transfer yet? In regards to JD specifically, if he wanted to come here and the coaches felt he would be a good fit attitude wise you take him in a heartbeat because he is a really good football player and could help us right away. But it would all come down to attitude and his willingness to fit into the team culture.

If he doesn't have any character issues then you welcome him with open arms. Could pay dividends in the future, not only in his playing time with the gophers. If he comes back to his home state and has a great experience, it will benefit the program down the road.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Speilman didn't commit here because the previous staff wanted him as a DB and not a WR. Speilman wanted to play WR and Nebraska gave him that opportunity.

This is a prime example of where highlights don't tell the whole story. Mann is a great athlete and may develop into a quality college player but he is going to be a project at WR. Have seen many Rosemount games and as of right now he has a long ways to go before he will be ready to make an impact in college.

That said, he is coming to the right place as I think Simon will be able to work with his raw ability and hopefully develop him into a quality option in a few years.

Speilman didn't commit here because the previous staff wanted him as a DB and not a WR. Speilman wanted to play WR and Nebraska gave him that opportunity.

Given their track record with the WR position that would make a ton of sense.

This is a prime example of where highlights don't tell the whole story. Mann is a great athlete and may develop into a quality college player but he is going to be a project at WR. Have seen many Rosemount games and as of right now he has a long ways to go before he will be ready to make an impact in college.

That said, he is coming to the right place as I think Simon will be able to work with his raw ability and hopefully develop him into a quality option in a few years.

If he is in fact a project, that seems like even more reason to compare him to Johnson. Johnson didn't even play WR in HS.

Top Bottom