rumor mill.......jd speilman

Obviously there's a lot that Speilman can add to the offense. And not just as a receiver. I think he could add another layer of complication due to his speed. But even having him on returns would be great! Douglas has shown me very little....and in many cases has shown some poor decision making.

And it's not as though Speilman would be "jumping ship". Nebraska has been bad for the last couple of years as well as this year. If he's going to have been there for long enough to get his degree....and wouldn't have to sit out....why not grad transfer? It's not a new phenomenon. Tons of players do it. And if the only reason to say "no" is out of spite....even though he could help the team? That's just stupid.

Who started this rubbish? On what basis?

I don't think bringing him in would breed "cultural sustainability". You bring him in, and you better schedule a difficult conversation for breakfast with Autman-Bell, Van Dyne, and Douglas. They are next up.

I don't think bringing him in would breed "cultural sustainability". You bring him in, and you better schedule a difficult conversation for breakfast with Autman-Bell, Van Dyne, and Douglas. They are next up.

NICE! :clap:

Welcome to college sports. Coaches are always looking to over recruit you and find better players. It's open competition and hopefully those guys believe they can be JD out. What's the difference of JD or a freshman taking their spot?

You don't avoid bringing on talented players because other players might not like competition...

Skimmed through the Nebraska page and it just seems like a bunch of dorks like us speculating that he will be leaving...didn't look like there was anyone with any credible info on it unless I missed something

Good to know they get most of their information the same way we do.

Yeah, I don’t know if I want him here though. I don’t think a player that’s from here should get to go betray his home State to play for the enemy, realize it sucks there, and then come groveling back home with his tail between his legs. I don’t want guys like that here. He had his chance to be here. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong if he graduates on the Nebraska tax payers dime and he wants to earn a graduate degree and play football in Mpls? I applaud this young man who earned his under graduate degree and you should to. IMO, we need to stop petty differences and look for the great Gopher good.

We offered before he ever even visited Nebraska. He never had an official offer from them either, he had two unofficial visits and then committed to them.

I did some further research. We "offered" but it wasn't commitable at the time, and didn't recruit him hard, and sounds like we moved on before he committed to Nebraska. So anyone complaining that he had his chance and spurned us is wrong. Regardless, you absolutely always take a dynamic return guy and all big ten receiver. Hell, Ohio St would probably take him.

What if it was know and agreed upon by all, that he would not be the starter, he’d be a backup and would have to earn playing time?

It seems to me that you’re assuming he would come in and be pronounced the started from day one. I don’t see why that should have to be true.

What if it was know and agreed upon by all, that he would not be the starter, he’d be a backup and would have to earn playing time?

It seems to me that you’re assuming he would come in and be pronounced the started from day one. I don’t see why that should have to be true.

PJ's approach is that there is "always competition".

So I doubt there are promises for starting time, backing up or anything like that.

Let's put it this way: it's remarkable how open he gets the way it is. You put him on a squad with two other NFL prospects...

Another question would be ... how would JD at this point even know he would go to Minnesota?

He's not in the portal and thus I'm not sure how much official contact would be ok here.

Another question would be ... how would JD at this point even know he would go to Minnesota?

He's not in the portal and thus I'm not sure how much official contact would be ok here.

There's not one iota of evidence he's even considering transferring. Just anonymous posters who heard from their Mom's Friend. When players go, going to the hometown school sometimes makes sense. This is nothing for us to worry about or have any interest in until after the season.

There's not one iota of evidence he's even considering transferring. Just anonymous posters who heard from their Mom's Friend. When players go, going to the hometown school sometimes makes sense. This is nothing for us to worry about or have any interest in until after the season.

I was asking more generally, and in doing so it sort of points to the idea that whatever is up even if there was "some" truth to it (for argument's sake) and if MN was complying with the rules, JD wouldn't even be sure where he would end up even if he wanted to go to MN.

Also my friend whose big brother works at Gamestop said a Nintendo representative came in last week and said they were releasing a new NCAA Football game and told them JD was already assigned to MN for 2020...

I was asking more generally, and in doing so it sort of points to the idea that whatever is up even if there was "some" truth to it (for argument's sake) and if MN was complying with the rules, JD wouldn't even be sure where he would end up even if he wanted to go to MN.

Also my friend whose big brother works at Gamestop said a Nintendo representative came in last week and said they were releasing a new NCAA Football game and told them JD was already assigned to MN for 2020...

Is he getting paid for it? I'm all in if JD coming here means we get a new NCAA game.

Talk about burying the lead! Screw Spielman...the greatest video game franchise of all time being resurrected would be worthy of a 100+ post thread, lol!

You don't avoid bringing on talented players because other players might not like competition...

Exactly. PJ always talks about how he tells his players he tries recruit someone better than you. If our guys aren't ok with that then that means they haven't embraced the RTB culture anyways. PJ ultimately needs to do whats best for the program, not neccesarily what will make individual players happy.

Moot point though as I doubt there is substance to this rumor.

For those who actually followed the link in post #5, it was merely talking about the idea of several current Neb starters transferring out of the program at the end of the season. It didn’t speculate on where they would transfer.

But I think it’s reasonable that *if* JDS is going to grad transfer out and not go to the NFL, then Minnesota could be a destination he would consider, for the reasons several have brought up.

I do realize we have other grad transfers, you must have missed the part where I say when I’m fine with a grad transfer and when I’m not. I think I’ve made it pretty clear why I don’t like it. And I’ve made it clear how it’s insulting in my eyes. You have guys that chose Minnesota from the beginning, picked here over the school that sounded better. They wanted to make their home school into something more. Then you have Spielman, who left here for what he thought were greener pastures. Now he wants to come back when we’re 9-1 and Nebbie is floundering? No thanks.

I see that really bad takes made the transfer over to the new board.

As I remember the recruiting from that year. Kill thought he had the WR from Florida that flipped to Maryland. We did off Spielman late, but it was to late. If it playes out and he transferrs in. How could anyone have a problem with that.

As I remember the recruiting from that year. Kill thought he had the WR from Florida that flipped to Maryland. We did off Spielman late, but it was to late. If it playes out and he transferrs in. How could anyone have a problem with that.
The kid from Florida flipped to UCF (Snelson). The guys that flipped to were Maryland DBs (Daniels brothers).

The gophers are 13th in the big 10 in kickoff returns and punt returns. He's be a great get just for this.

Talk about burying the lead! Screw Spielman...the greatest video game franchise of all time being resurrected would be worthy of a 100+ post thread, lol!
Could not agree more. I was always a much bigger fan of the NCAA series then I was of Madden.

If I were a proven talent like Spielman (this is known), and I wanted to grad transfer (this is not known in his case, he may want to stay at Nebraska), I would select a team that projects to be pretty good in 2020 but has a missing ingredient at the receiver/utility position. Comparing that to MN, the first part of the equation is fulfilled (Gopher offense should be as good or better next season) but the second part of this doesn't seem like a great fit. MN will be returning a lot of talent at his position. All in all I'd be surprised if he came here even if he did transfer. But if he did, the team would be better - no doubt. So I'd be all for it.

If I were a proven talent like Spielman (this is known), and I wanted to grad transfer (this is not known in his case, he may want to stay at Nebraska), I would select a team that projects to be pretty good in 2020 but has a missing ingredient at the receiver/utility position. Comparing that to MN, the first part of the equation is fulfilled (Gopher offense should be as good or better next season) but the second part of this doesn't seem like a great fit. MN will be returning a lot of talent at his position. All in all I'd be surprised if he came here even if he did transfer. But if he did, the team would be better - no doubt. So I'd be all for it.

We would have a lot to offer that would appeal to him though. Location, need for help in the return game, and although we will have lots of WR talent returning we are losing one of our top weapons so he would only need to beat out someone like Douglas or an unproven player to get significant playing time in the top 3.

No idea what JD will do but if he does decide to transfer for just his final year I could see him wanting to be out here. Would give him lots of opportunities to be around the Vikings as well as he preps for his pro career after college.

I assume you've heard of Tyler Johnson.

No, we offered Spielman a "camp contingent" offer. Which could be viewed as a bit of an insult. Then we went after Snelson and Drew Hmielewski. So basically, we really did not go after Spielman, and Nebraska did and he chose them.

We were so bad at WR depth I think we could've taken multiple. Would be quite the turn of events thought if we lost one of our top rated WR recruits ever at the time to Scott Frost, then we take his.

Last edited:

I think the real keys are "Good QB, and they like to pass". MN fits that, but so do plenty of teams. I don't know if that makes it more likely, but a WR has to get the ball thrown to him so the QB is critical.

Top Bottom