Game clock in Iowa

I kept track, and we lost probably a minute or more due to the unstopped clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kept track, and we lost probably a minute or more due to the unstopped clock

The rule is to stop the clock on first downs until the chain resets. Across the TV, nothing egregious was apparent other than the offense's inability to run the hurry-up.

I noticed at the end of the first half. 4 seconds came off the clock when we spiked it despite snapping it immediately. Obviously not the reason we lost, but thought it was total bull **** and cost us another chance in the end zone.

I noticed at the end of the first half. 4 seconds came off the clock when we spiked it despite snapping it immediately. Obviously not the reason we lost, but thought it was total bull **** and cost us another chance in the end zone.

There was that, and then during our hurry up offense to try and score in the 4th. We started that drive with somewhere between 6 and 7 minutes left. We had a couple long strikes. Each time, the clock kept running and the chain gang was far from being caught up to the new down lines. I kept watching the clock, it got all the way down to 3:27 by the time we scored. I believe if the clock hadn’t kept running continuously, we’d have scored with well over 4 on the clock. Closer to 5 minutes left.

The rule is to stop the clock on first downs until the chain resets. Across the TV, nothing egregious was apparent other than the offense's inability to run the hurry-up.

Not exactly. The clock stops for the purpose of resetting the chains, but it starts on the referee's signal whether the chains are completely moved or not, and they frequently are not completely set. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with scenarios where always waiting for the chains would harm the team trying to play with pace.

That said, I just rewatched the only Gopher drive of the 4th quarter that had any 1st down conversions and couldn't find a single example of what the OP describes. The weren't playing hurry-up anyway. Didn't happen.

Not exactly. The clock stops for the purpose of resetting the chains, but it starts on the referee's signal whether the chains are completely moved or not, and they frequently are not completely set. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with scenarios where always waiting for the chains would harm the team trying to play with pace.

That said, I just rewatched the only Gopher drive of the 4th quarter that had any 1st down conversions and couldn't find a single example of what the OP describes. The weren't playing hurry-up anyway. Didn't happen.

Agree, didn't see anything amiss, other than it was not Hurry up offense.

They changed the mechanics of this in the last couple years to speed the game up. Stop clock, confirm 1st down, and wind the clock when ball is being put on the ground. Pretty much same at HS level now also.

They changed the mechanics of this in the last couple years to speed the game up. Stop clock, confirm 1st down, and wind the clock when ball is being put on the ground. Pretty much same at HS level now also.

Yes, the clock typically stops for between 4 and 7 seconds, depending on the yardage that the play gains. I counted 5, 6, 5, & 8 seconds on the 4 first downs. Again, it didn't happen.

The only thing I found egregious was where the runner was ruled to have had his forward progressed stopped and not forced out resulting in a lost TO. But, this was self-inflicted due to 9 previous game where clock management has always been pretty poor. That said, the fact that we were able to battle back despite the poor clock management and early is a big change from prior Gopher teams. Usually, it is me hoping for the clock to run as fast as possible to limit the time remaining for the team to choke away the win.

I guess I was wrong. From the stands it appeared we were trying to move fast, and watching the game clock nervously it appeared to never stop ticking. Seemed like it was still running even as we had players running down the field to try and catch up to the new line of scrimmage.

Sequence at the end of the first half, the clock did run 1 second after the ball hit the ground on the spike, then after the ball hit the ground each of the next 2 passes as well. Can you gripe about 1 second on each? IDK. Turned out to be important though of course. Would have been even better had forward progress not been improperly called when the iowa back pushed his way upfield and out of bounds on third down prior to the punt, costing us the final timeout. Oh well :blah::blah:

Top Bottom