Calmest I have ever seen Gopherhole after a loss

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
I know it has been a while since we lost but have been impressed by the lack of meltdown in here after yesterday's game. Frustration, disappointment sure, but not much in the sky is falling camp outside of a couple of posters. My take on where we are at and where we are headed.

CFP - All the college football playoff speculation has been fun but the reality is this team is not ready for this level yet. We don't have a strong enough defense to truly compete to be one of the best in the country. Coming into the season, nobody anywhere, thought we were a CFP contender. The exciting part is that we might not be as far away from that level as we once thought.

Big Ten West - Despite the loss we still have a great chance of winning the Big Ten West and earning a trip to Indy. Won't be able to lock it up before the Wisconsin game (unless they lose to Purdue) but I like our chances against them at home to close out the regular season. Coming into the year I wanted to see this team compete in the West and they have absolutely done that.

Future - Future still looks very bright. Should get a very nice bowl game (maybe even the Rose Bowl) and then we hopefully launch into next year at full speed. The offense should be even better next year, we have to replace some skill guys but lots of weapons return and everyone will be another year older and more experienced. My hope is that they will trust Morgan more and more to make his own reads as he gets more experience. May eliminate some of the confusion or struggles we have at times getting the plays in. Regardless the offense should be very good again next season with all the experienced talent we will have returning.

Defense has to replace a number of seniors. None of them are irreplaceable (outside of maybe Winfield if he leaves early) but we also haven't seen a ton out of the younger guys yet either due to the presence of all the seniors. Need to maintain the same level of play and hopefully find some playmakers that can push that unit to the next level. At some point we have to develop a true pass rush, has been an issue around here for quite a while.

Special teams - by far the biggest area that will need to be addressed in the off season. We have some kickers on the roster, need to figure out if they will be the answer or if we need to go find someone else. Special teams across the board leave plenty of room for improvement.

Lots left to play for this season. 9-1, 6-1 in year three is great. 11-1, 8-1 is very much within reach for this team if they rebound, refocus and come out firing these next two weeks. Yesterday was disappointing to be sure but this has been a heck of a ride and it isn't over yet.

Great, great post. The immediate dilemma of Morgan's health and the intermediate dilemma of turnover on defense aside, this thing is going not just in the right direction but in an ultra exciting direction. And I think people know that.

There's obviously no effect on the team, but I thought yesterday morning that the tone on GH was so different than the run up to the Penn State game. In general, people were pretty calm compared to the way GH was crackling with anticipation the previous week. Seems the team mirrored the same emotions. Thought we came out non-aggressive and it took a half for the Gophers to get an edge on.

They might have thought they were ready to play but obviously weren't. We have to take it out on the Wildcats and then it's all on the line against Wisconsin. Suspect we've had our letdown and we're going to be very, very ready the next two games.

Losing sucks, especially at Kinnick. However, they brought their best performance of the season to us so's there's that.

On the good guy's side, we showed some moxie but just not quite enough to make it out of the hole dug in the 1st quarter.

Too much good happening this season to let this loss spoil the season.

Lots of best to improve on over the next couple of weeks.

I actually wanted this game a little more than Wisconsin because the program hasn't beaten Iowa since 2014 while the Gophers stomped Wisconsin last season.

There is some relief to getting that first loss out of the way I suppose. I guess being joined by Baylor on the same day made it feel a little better. Now, there are only three undefeated teams left and they are all national championship contenders. Being the last two undefeated teams before considering those giants is something both Minnesota and Baylor should feel proud about.

The main concern now is Tanner's health.

I do think you're minimizing the end-of-season losses on the defensive end a bit. I think those are very significant and replacing those players will present a real challenge to the coaching staff.

I actually wanted this game a little more than Wisconsin because the program hasn't beaten Iowa since 2014 while the Gophers stomped Wisconsin last season.

There is some relief to getting that first loss out of the way I suppose. I guess being joined by Baylor on the same day made it feel a little better. Now, there are only three undefeated teams left and they are all national championship contenders. Being the last two undefeated teams before considering those giants is something both Minnesota and Baylor should feel proud about.

The main concern now is Tanner's health.

I do think you're minimizing the end-of-season losses on the defensive end a bit. I think those are very significant and replacing those players will present a real challenge to the coaching staff.

I agree with this, although I don't think there is a true high-end senior star in the defensive front-7. I'm not saying there are no good players, but with the uptick in recruiting under PJ, I imagine there are players - such as Oliver, who is showing signs of becoming a very good player - who can come in next year and fill in those losses at similar levels of play. It would be nice if the D could obtain a couple of game changing players in the front-7, like Iowa's Epeneza.

Yeah, losing yesterday hurt - mainly because we could have and should have won - but there is so much still to look forward to in this fantastic season. I think the players and GH will be able to put this one behind us pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, losing yesterday hurt - mainly because we could have and should have won - but there is so much still to look forward to in this fantastic season. I think the players and GH will be able to put this one behind us pretty easily.

+1

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Many of us expected a loss at Kinnick after a big emotional win at home. It was not a surprise, yet we almost won in the final minutes (but then, Penn State almost beat us in the final minutes - that's football). Biggest concern, as many have noted, is who will be QB now, especially against Wisconsin. We can still win the West, go to the Rose Bowl.

Many of us expected a loss at Kinnick after a big emotional win at home. It was not a surprise, yet we almost won in the final minutes (but then, Penn State almost beat us in the final minutes - that's football). Biggest concern, as many have noted, is who will be QB now, especially against Wisconsin. We can still win the West, go to the Rose Bowl.

Have you heard something to indicate Morgan won't be back for Wisconsin? Far as I have seen he hasn't even been ruled out for Northwestern yet but maybe something has broken and I missed it.

Trying to change my fan culture of not going off the deep end after a loss. This team almost found a way to win a game where they did not play well and made too many mistakes. Big picture is still bright.

I agree completely. I'm frustrated that we made some dumb mistakes that resulted in a close loss to a team with more experienced players and coaches. Especially because it looked like we were the team with more talent, particularly at the skill positions. Too difficult to overcome stupid mistakes and a bad game plan though. It's undeniable that the team is in a better place than I can ever remember, despite this loss, and I would be extremely surprised to seem them come out flat against Wisconsin in two Saturdays. My optimism is still sky high.

Last edited:

My take - and this is strictly personal - I would be happier if the Gophers had lost to Penn State and beaten Iowa. If they had to go 1-1 in that stretch, I would much rather have a win over Iowa. Rivalry Game - in the division - and Floyd! Instead, the Gophs have the bleeping Governor's Victory Bell. I don't give a rat's buttocks about the Victory Bell. Floyd matters. The Bell is meaningless.

having said that - Iowa's defense is better than Penn State's defense. The loss to Iowa is not a bad loss in the big picture, but it hurts from an emotional standpoint for the reasons I gave.

And - I see a lot of people expressing optimism that "the Gophs will handle Wisconsin." I do not share that optimism. The Badgers will be playing for a Division title and a berth in the Conf Championship game. The Gophs will have to play one of their best games of the season to win.

We can't have calm here on GH so I'll be the first to get some panic going!

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

It’s easier to be calm and accept a loss when you already have 9 wins in your back pocket

I know it has been a while since we lost but have been impressed by the lack of meltdown in here after yesterday's game. Frustration, disappointment sure, but not much in the sky is falling camp outside of a couple of posters. My take on where we are at and where we are headed.

CFP - All the college football playoff speculation has been fun but the reality is this team is not ready for this level yet. We don't have a strong enough defense to truly compete to be one of the best in the country. Coming into the season, nobody anywhere, thought we were a CFP contender. The exciting part is that we might not be as far away from that level as we once thought.

Big Ten West - Despite the loss we still have a great chance of winning the Big Ten West and earning a trip to Indy. Won't be able to lock it up before the Wisconsin game (unless they lose to Purdue) but I like our chances against them at home to close out the regular season. Coming into the year I wanted to see this team compete in the West and they have absolutely done that.

Future - Future still looks very bright. Should get a very nice bowl game (maybe even the Rose Bowl) and then we hopefully launch into next year at full speed. The offense should be even better next year, we have to replace some skill guys but lots of weapons return and everyone will be another year older and more experienced. My hope is that they will trust Morgan more and more to make his own reads as he gets more experience. May eliminate some of the confusion or struggles we have at times getting the plays in. Regardless the offense should be very good again next season with all the experienced talent we will have returning.

Defense has to replace a number of seniors. None of them are irreplaceable (outside of maybe Winfield if he leaves early) but we also haven't seen a ton out of the younger guys yet either due to the presence of all the seniors. Need to maintain the same level of play and hopefully find some playmakers that can push that unit to the next level. At some point we have to develop a true pass rush, has been an issue around here for quite a while.

Special teams - by far the biggest area that will need to be addressed in the off season. We have some kickers on the roster, need to figure out if they will be the answer or if we need to go find someone else. Special teams across the board leave plenty of room for improvement.

Lots left to play for this season. 9-1, 6-1 in year three is great. 11-1, 8-1 is very much within reach for this team if they rebound, refocus and come out firing these next two weeks. Yesterday was disappointing to be sure but this has been a heck of a ride and it isn't over yet.

I do not see how your paragraph on the D makes any football sense, plus we lose Winfield. Where will these "better" replacement players come from when they are not already playing? What, Oliver plus six or seven true freshmen or transfers will just show up and start at the same level as Coughlin, Martin and the others? Sorry, I just don't have any experience with that "they are not good enough to replace the guys that arn't good enough now, but they will be better next year." Ohio State replaces great players with the new great players, but that is not what you are saying. Your saying these half OK players will be replaced by better players next year. Plus Winfield will be gone.

Losing yesterday really sucked because we all know we should have won that game. Came out flat in the first half. But it's not the end of the world. This can still be our best season in a LONG time, and things are trending up with Fleck at the helm even if his coach speak and some of his in-game decisions drive us crazy. I'm still firmly in the boat.

I do not see how your paragraph on the D makes any football sense, plus we lose Winfield. Where will these "better" replacement players come from when they are not already playing? What, Oliver plus six or seven true freshmen or transfers will just show up and start at the same level as Coughlin, Martin and the others? Sorry, I just don't have any experience with that "they are not good enough to replace the guys that arn't good enough now, but they will be better next year." Ohio State replaces great players with the new great players, but that is not what you are saying. Your saying these half OK players will be replaced by better players next year. Plus Winfield will be gone.

How do you know we lose Winfield? He’s got two years of eligibility left

My take - and this is strictly personal - I would be happier if the Gophers had lost to Penn State and beaten Iowa. If they had to go 1-1 in that stretch, I would much rather have a win over Iowa. Rivalry Game - in the division - and Floyd! Instead, the Gophs have the bleeping Governor's Victory Bell. I don't give a rat's buttocks about the Victory Bell. Floyd matters. The Bell is meaningless.

having said that - Iowa's defense is better than Penn State's defense. The loss to Iowa is not a bad loss in the big picture, but it hurts from an emotional standpoint for the reasons I gave.

And - I see a lot of people expressing optimism that "the Gophs will handle Wisconsin." I do not share that optimism. The Badgers will be playing for a Division title and a berth in the Conf Championship game. The Gophs will have to play one of their best games of the season to win.
We are playing for a division championship and a chance at a conference Championship game also. This week we need to take care of beating Northwestern. They have bad QB but Northwestern has tough defense. The Cats always play stingy against Gophers. Need a game plan to beat the Cats, then let it all hang out against Wisconsin. This is going to be a tough week. Gophers are banged up and will need one or more younger guys to step up. We are playing for just as much as the Badger's are, they are good but te stakes on the line are equal. They are going to have to pry that Axe away from an angry groyp that will be tossing back just as much vitriol, and physicality.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

How do you know we lose Winfield? He’s got two years of eligibility left

I think most people believe he will go pro after this year.

Ohio State does not replace everyone with new great freshmen. It’s very normal to have more talented players on the bench because they need to mature mentally and physically.

You do realize there are other players in the system right? We aren't going to need to replace the seniors with true freshmen. Non of the seniors that are graduating are irreplaceable but that doesn't mean they are not good football players and the best option on the roster right now. You are always working on developing the young guys so that they are ready to step in for the players that depart.

The majority of the guys we will need to replace are on the defensive line (Coughlin, Renner, Devers, DeLattiboudere). Coughlin is obviously the biggest loss of the group and Renner has played well but neither are dominant forces that can't be replaced. The backups along the D-Line have been getting plenty of playing time and there are others waiting in the wings. D-Line has been a weakness for quite some time so hopefully this staff is able to find/develop some better options.

At LB we lose Martin and Barber. Fleck has spoken really highly of some of the guys who are redshirting this year and with Martin's injuries guys like Oliver and Sorri-Marin have gotten a lot of playing time. Martin will be tough to replace because he is a really solid player but it won't be impossible.

At DB we lose Williamson, good solid player but we have options back there. Winfield will be the big question mark. He could decide to go pro if he grades out high enough or he could come back for another year to improve his stock. Won't really know any of that until after the season. He will be very hard to replace if he goes pro but it is what it is.

The defense will look different next year but I am not convinced it will take a major step back of any kind and the hope is at some point it makes a leap forward in the way the offense has. Will all depend on how good the guys waiting in the wings turn out to be.

The gophers usually have a derp or two during every season .. vs not gud teams. A loss vs. a good team... can't panic about that.

What are you even talking about? First of all, he didn't say the word "better" with regard to the defense. Stop putting words in his mouth. Secondly - do you even watch the games? In most or all cases, the guys who will be starting in the front 7 next year are already playing a lot this year - Otomewo, Mafe, Schad, Teague, Sori-Marin, Oliver, etc. You have a guy like Rush who played a lot last year, guys like Gordon and Willis who got their 4 games in this year, and a lot of DL who redshirted this year.

And on the topic of Winfield - did he declare for the draft and I missed it? You seem pretty sure that he's leaving. If you have some evidence, please share it. We'd all love to see it.

Post less - ideally, not at all.

What are you even talking about? First of all, he didn't say the word "better" with regard to the defense. Stop putting words in his mouth. Secondly - do you even watch the games? In most or all cases, the guys who will be starting in the front 7 next year are already playing a lot this year - Otomewo, Mafe, Schad, Teague, Sori-Marin, Oliver, etc. You have a guy like Rush who played a lot last year, guys like Gordon and Willis who got their 4 games in this year, and a lot of DL who redshirted this year.

And on the topic of Winfield - did he declare for the draft and I missed it? You seem pretty sure that he's leaving. If you have some evidence, please share it. We'd all love to see it.

Post less - ideally, not at all.

That’s what I’m saying with Winfield, I don’t think he’s said if he’s leaving at all. He’s a redshirt sophomore correct? Like he has 2 years of eligibility left. I could see him leaving after next year is over. But until I hear anything about him wanting to declare, I’m going to act as though he’ll be here next year.

That’s what I’m saying with Winfield, I don’t think he’s said if he’s leaving at all. He’s a redshirt sophomore correct? Like he has 2 years of eligibility left. I could see him leaving after next year is over. But until I hear anything about him wanting to declare, I’m going to act as though he’ll be here next year.

He's a 4th year RS Sophomore and that is why many think he will leave.

He's a 4th year RS Sophomore and that is why many think he will leave.

i got that. I’m saying unless he says anything even hinting at it, I’d rather just not make a guess.

I, for a selfish reason, would rather have the loss away than at home. But...it would have been nice to have the Wisc. game not really matter for the division title.

I think this place is calm because as Fleck said, everything is still in front of them. I think a blowout loss at Iowa may have caused a little meltdown, but given past history of games at Iowa when they've played big time teams, it wasn't that surprising of a loss. In addition, they still showed me a little something. Battling back, had a chance, against a really good defense.

Iowa made less mistakes than the Gophers. They won. Just find a way to win at Northwestern (I don't care by how much or how they look, just get a win), and get ready for the biggest game in the past 45 years, already making the PSU game a distant memory.

Top Bottom