Who's the back-up QB?

Gibson

Reaction score
Worst case scenario: Morgan has concussion-like symptoms. Annexstad hasn't been practicing, and I don't see that changing in the final six weeks. That leaves us with Kramer and Clark. Kramer came from a running offense in high school, Clark a passing offense. We have seen neither's RPO management abilities. How many games can each play without burning their red-shirt, and who is the better fit considering our offense?

Given that Kramer came out for a critical potential game winning drive it’s clearly Kramer. End of debate.

Given that Kramer came out for a critical potential game winning drive it’s clearly Kramer. End of debate.
I've heard this rationality all year. Truth is, the two rotate duties. That would be the smart thing to do if you wanted to prevent burning either's red-shirt.

That's why I also asked how many games they've both been in. We have 3 left minimum. If I recall correctly, neither can play all three without losing their red-shirt. Next week's game against Northwestern doesn't matter now. The Axe game will almost certainly determine the West, unless sconnie gets upset next week. So who would we play? Serious question.

EDIT: I believe Kramer's appeared in two games, Clark one, so Clark could play three more games.

I've heard this rationality all year. Truth is, the two rotate duties. That would be the smart thing to do if you wanted to prevent burning either's red-shirt.

That's why I also asked how many games they've both been in. We have 3 left minimum. If I recall correctly, neither can play all three without losing their red-shirt. Next week's game against Northwestern doesn't matter now. The Axe game will almost certainly determine the West, unless sconnie gets upset next week. So who would we play? Serious question.

EDIT: I believe Kramer's appeared in two games, Clark one, so Clark could start three more games.

Is this a serious thread? The game was on the line. You’re talking about redshirts?

??

Is it out of the question that your top two QBs for the bowl game are Tanner and Zack?

Is this a serious thread? The game was on the line. You’re talking about redshirts?
I am. It's a conversation that now needs to be had. Annexstad is out. Morgan is questionable. Who's the next man up, and how does red-shirting affect Fleck's decision?

Is it out of the question that your top two QBs for the bowl game are Tanner and Zack?
It is not, nor is it that neither can play next week or beyond. It's a fair question, especially with the position the team is in today.

I am. It's a conversation that now needs to be had. Annexstad is out. Morgan is questionable. Who's the next man up, and how does red-shirting affect Fleck's decision?
It is extremely clear that Kramer was the next man up today. When you are down by 4 with a CFP, Rose Bowl, and conference championship on the line, and you have a minute to score, you are not worried about which QB will burn his 3rd of 4 games towards a redshirt. You put the player out there that you believe will give you the best chance to keep the ride going. Today, they very clearly thought that was Kramer.

I am curious where Zacks health is at. If it was an Achilles, he’s not playing. If it was a lisfranc he should be pretty close to clearance. If it was something else you’d think he’d be close.

I think Morgan will be good to go. Just curious if any insiders know what Zack does in practice? Is he running etc?

It is extremely clear that Kramer was the next man up today. When you are down by 4 with a CFP, Rose Bowl, and conference championship on the line, and you have a minute to score, you are not worried about which QB will burn his 3rd of 4 games towards a redshirt. You put the player out there that you believe will give you the best chance to keep the ride going. Today, they very clearly thought that was Kramer.

I don't think that's necessarily true, if they switch who the backup QB is depending on the week. If Tanner were to miss a game or even a half it would definitely be more clear.

Morgan has to be 100% for the Wisconsin game. If there is any doubt, you sit him against NW.

If that happens, then the question becomes - can you beat NW with a vanilla offense, or if Kramer or Clark is the QB, do you run the regular offense and see what happens?

But, at this point of the season, the coaches have to forget about red-shirts. If Kramer is the #2 and needs to play, then play him. If you have to, you can always red-shirt him next year. Same for Clark. Because, assuming Annexstad is healthy next year, Kramer and Clark are #3 and #4 on the depth chart, and you should be able to red-shirt both of them if you want to.

??

Right, and we have a pretty crowded QB room heading into next season which means that even if we burn a red shirt this year, they can just take it next year.
I promise you these guys want to get on the field.

Morgan has to be 100% for the Wisconsin game. If there is any doubt, you sit him against NW.

If that happens, then the question becomes - can you beat NW with a vanilla offense, or if Kramer or Clark is the QB, do you run the regular offense and see what happens?

But, at this point of the season, the coaches have to forget about red-shirts. If Kramer is the #2 and needs to play, then play him. If you have to, you can always red-shirt him next year. Same for Clark. Because, assuming Annexstad is healthy next year, Kramer and Clark are #3 and #4 on the depth chart, and you should be able to red-shirt both of them if you want to.

I've been called out for this already, but I want to see Kramer if we're losing Morgan. Granted, I've only seen him seriously throwing in warm ups this year, but he has been an okay passer before, and he runs well enough to add a new dimension to this offense which could really help down the stretch.

Obviously, Morgan is fun to watch, so hopefully he's back, but I'm definitely not going to be worried if the Gophers need to go to a backup here.

I've been called out for this already, but I want to see Kramer if we're losing Morgan. Granted, I've only seen him seriously throwing in warm ups this year, but he has been an okay passer before, and he runs well enough to add a new dimension to this offense which could really help down the stretch.

Obviously, Morgan is fun to watch, so hopefully he's back, but I'm definitely not going to be worried if the Gophers need to go to a backup here.

The reason you got called out is because you called Kramer the most gifted QB in the history of the program. What you said above is completely different.

Personally, I’m not optimistic about either of the backups, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Fleck completely made it sound like red-shirting plays into the decision each week. They want to Red-Shirt both is my assumption.

Top Bottom