Place Kicker Importance

We need to get that fg kicker figured out too we need someone who u can make a 40 yard kick majority of time. But upperclassmen every year is waste of scholarships

So how many scholarships are you willing to throw at it? The more you use, the less margin for error you have for recruiting other positions.

There is no right answer. Normally you take walk ons then reward someone who stands out. But the top guys from HS get scholarships today. Lantz was one of them. Unfortunately he got hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me, it is either neglect (not enough scholarships handed out) or bad recruiting, or poor talent evaluation. From what I’m hearing, it must be #2 or #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lantz was 247's #10 kicker in the nation last year. We also offered #4 Cade York (having a good year at LSU) and #5 Camden Lewis (statistically very similar to Lantz at Oregon). Plus we recruited one of the country's only scholarship long snappers. I guess you could try to argue that better recruiting would have landed York, but then you can't argue that talent evaluation was the issue.

It will probably turn out that the position is fine for four years, and Lantz's injury was just a bit of bad luck.

If you think it's easy to beat the bushes for a guy that's nearly automatic, consider this: On average, only about three kickers enter the NFL each year who go on to make a minimum of 20 FGs in their career. That means a college team is as likely to have one of those as a future first-round pick at QB.

Interesting take. To me, it is either neglect (not enough scholarships handed out) or bad recruiting, or poor talent evaluation. From what I’m hearing, it must be #2 or #3.

Or it could be #4, you aren’t very bright.

I don't think Lantz has been as bad as some think. He's missed 2 extra points and is 5-8 on fg, one miss being from 50+. He also made a huge fg vs Fresno State with the game on the line.

What is his injury and when do they think he will be back??

Lantz was 247's #10 kicker in the nation last year. We also offered #4 Cade York (having a good year at LSU) and #5 Camden Lewis (statistically very similar to Lantz at Oregon). Plus we recruited one of the country's only scholarship long snappers. I guess you could try to argue that better recruiting would have landed York, but then you can't argue that talent evaluation was the issue.

It will probably turn out that the position is fine for four years, and Lantz's injury was just a bit of bad luck.

If you think it's easy to beat the bushes for a guy that's nearly automatic, consider this: On average, only about three kickers enter the NFL each year who go on to make a minimum of 20 FGs in their career. That means a college team is as likely to have one of those as a future first-round pick at QB.

Wasn't Lewis committed for a long time and decommited late leading us to getting Lantz? Plus we invested a scholarship in the top long snapper in the country. So I wouldn't say they didn't try. Plus the local kid is on scholarship but unfortunately hasn't been the placekicker, just kickoffs. I must say Walker was fantastic last week and made some kicks yesterday. I think the 50 yarder was right on the edge of his range and that's a tough situation. We can't say woulda shoulda coulda. Fact is the Gophers didn't have their A game first half and Iowa took advantage. Credit to them. Despite all that if TJ makes that grab we probably win.

Every aspect of our special teams has been weak this year. I don't think you can blame Fleck's recruiting as he had many holes to fill and our record reflects that they have been filled. Kill always looked at special teams as 1/3 of the game...as important as offense or defense. I don't know if Fleck shares that philosophy as he hasn't had enough recruiting classes to fill all the gaps he inherited. However, I do wonder about the coaching...our punt and kick off returns stink, our kicking stinks, our onside kicks stink (both ways) etc. It would seem when there are so many failings that fingers should point to the coaching...much like Rossi changed our defense overnight perhaps another change is in order. It was after all only a matter of time before we could lay the blame for a loss on special teams.

Gophers should invite Dan Nystrom and Amit Carpenter back and guest coach our young kickers the body mechanics and kicking techniques. Not sure if NCAA has any rules against alumni hanging out with the current team, but my gosh, how useful would that be? Any alumni would be more than happy to return to the U and teach. Our kickers better be kicking 500 balls starting today!

Kickers can make and break a game and the season. We need good kickers....Coach Fleck made the poor excuse at the post-game press conference on how Brock is young with no experiences!? Well, WTF is practices and training for? Have our first D line go up against our kickers!

I think we have tried. We have committed scholarships to kickers and long snappers and signed Grad Transfers. If anything, I would say we have simply not recruited very well at this position.

I don't think Lantz has been as bad as some think. He's missed 2 extra points and is 5-8 on fg, one miss being from 50+. He also made a huge fg vs Fresno State with the game on the line.

I agree. I think he will end up being decent.

Usually your school's club soccer team has some fullback who can blast a ball some 70 yards....just saying...lol First
place I would look.

Or it could be #4, you aren’t very bright.

Good one. Such an insightful comment! Shows the depth of YOUR intelligence.

Top Bottom