Good loss for making the Rose Bowl

btowngopher

Reaction score
Fan base should be elated, Rose Bowl is more likely than then playoffs now.

Fan base should be elated, Rose Bowl is more likely than then playoffs now.

Rose Bowl is less likely now.

If we win out we make the CFP anyways and if we lose to Wisconsin we don't make the Rose. Had we beat Iowa then the Wisconsin game likely wouldn't have mattered. Now it does and we have less room for error.

If we win out we make the CFP anyways and if we lose to Wisconsin we don't make the Rose. Had we beat Iowa then the Wisconsin game likely wouldn't have mattered. Now it does and we have less room for error.

We will have to beat OSU to make the playoff.

We probably still make the rose bowl at 11-2. Penn State will fall with another loss to OSU. We still are in good shape to finish 2nd highest in the B1G.

Assuming we both win next weekend, we now need to beat Wisconsin.

We probably still make the rose bowl at 11-2. Penn State will fall with another loss to OSU. We still are in good shape to finish 2nd highest in the B1G.

I’d guess they could still take Penn St over Minnesota for the Rose Bowl if having the same record regardless of the fact Minnesota beat PSU

I’d guess they could still take Penn St over Minnesota for the Rose Bowl if having the same record regardless of the fact Minnesota beat PSU

Assuming we made the Big Ten championship game in this scenario, we couldn't have the same record. We would be 11-2 and PSU would be 10-2.

You can’t make it up

Already counting the Wisconsin. game as a loss.

This fan base has issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you say I am already counting the Wisconsin game as a loss?

I would still give the edge to the gophers in that game. But it's a simple fact that losing to Iowa today makes the Wisconsin game a must win in terms of winning the West. Had we won and beat Northwestern next week, the outcome of the Wisconsin game would have been irrelevant in terms of winning the west and likely going to the Rose. Therefore it is less likely today than it was before the loss. I would still have us as the favorites for the Rose still.

Rose Bowl less likely now...
Bet these are the same people who wanted the Rose Bowl.
What are people talking about...

Odds for Rose Bowl > Odds for playoff as of today
Still control own destiny for both

Win the next 2 we will be in the rose bowl as long as osu beats psu next week. Case closed

Win the next 2 we will be in the rose bowl as long as osu beats psu next week. Case closed

And loose to OSU as well. Otherwise are are likely make the playoff.

Yes. Which is why I said if we win out we make the playoff regardless.

Which is unlikely. What was possible though was beating Iowa, NW, and WI, then losing to OSU and still possibly making the CFP.

Right, to get to the Rose Bowl we'd have to win the West, which would man beating both Northwestern and Wisconsin, then losing to Ohio State. If Morgan is out both games, there is no way we beat Wisconsin, and maybe not even Northwestern. He is 90% of our offense. If only Johnson had caught that pass...

die hard your post seemed to say the Gophers would get beat by Wisconsin. Guess I read it wrong

Take care of business.next week and beat the Badgers the following week.

If that happens the only way the I can see the Gophers not playing in the Rose Bowl is a loss to PSU in the B1G Championship.

Last edited:

Right, to get to the Rose Bowl we'd have to win the West, which would man beating both Northwestern and Wisconsin, then losing to Ohio State. If Morgan is out both games, there is no way we beat Wisconsin, and maybe not even Northwestern. He is 90% of our offense. If only Johnson had caught that pass...

Meh, If Morgan misses time (I'm not expecting him to), Kramer/Clark would still have the benefit of throwing to the best WR trio in the conference and two high round NFL guys. Morgan benefits from from Johnson and Bateman more than the other way around.

And if Morgan can't go against Northwestern, we'd still likely around 14 point favorites. Without Morgan against Wisconsin, they'd be favored by 6 at most IMO but probably less.

Geeze. Welcome to GopherHole.... I guess.

The guy was making a passive aggressive jab against fans who've been expressing excitement that we're in contention for the Rose Bowl all week. He deserved a much more dickish response than he got.

That being said, I still like our shot at the Rose Bowl if we beat Wisconsin. 11-2 with the head to head over PSU should beat out a 10-2 PSU. To my understanding it's not based on the CFP ranking.

The guy was making a passive aggressive jab against fans who've been expressing excitement that we're in contention for the Rose Bowl all week. He deserved a much more dickish response than he got.

That being said, I still like our shot at the Rose Bowl if we beat Wisconsin. 11-2 with the head to head over PSU should beat out a 10-2 PSU. To my understanding it's not based on the CFP ranking.

Wrong. I was making a jab at the 40% of fans that voted in a poll that they'd rather go to the Rose Bowl than the CFP. I don't deserve any dickish response.

As others have said as long as there aren't any significant upsets next week (Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Ohio State losing as 10+ point favorites) the winner of the Axe game gets the Rose Bowl and a trip to Indy. If Minnesota were to be the B1G title winner by beating an undefeated Ohio State, the Gophers have a good argument to be in the CFP, bumping Ohio State or Penn State into the Rose. Wisconsin could beat Ohio State in that game and likely fall short of the CFP with 2 losses.

Which is unlikely. What was possible though was beating Iowa, NW, and WI, then losing to OSU and still possibly making the CFP.

I don't think that was possible. No way would the committee take MN in that scenario ahead of 1 loss P5 champions or a 1 loss SEC team.

If we end up 11-2 is it a given we end up ahead of PSU? I don't think so, especially if we lose to OSU by more than PSU does.

If we weren't going undefeated we were always far more likely to make the playoff by losing to Iowa or wisconsin, and winning all of our other games than we were by going 12-0 in the regular season and losing the B1G championship to Ohio State.

12-1 B1G champions with wins over Ohio St, Penn St and wisconsin is a far better resume than 12-1 B1G runner-up with wins over Penn St, wisconsin, and Iowa.

I don't think that was possible. No way would the committee take MN in that scenario ahead of 1 loss P5 champions or a 1 loss SEC team.

If the one loss team was bama I bet they would. Bama has no quality wins.

If the one loss team was bama I bet they would. Bama has no quality wins.

Respectfully disagree. Bama was ranked higher when we didn't have a loss. If Bama beats Auburn I can hear the pundits now...
"Oh what a great showings without their QB"
"Only a top 4 team could beat Auburn without their QB"
"Alabama has found their Cardale Jones"

Top Bottom