How we lost

Yah-E

Bulieve
Reaction score
We lost by 4 points

Here are where we lost potential points!

Went for the field goal instead of an attempt for touchdown before the half (could’ve been another 4 points here)

PJ ran on the field after Iowa’s late hit (could’ve kept our drive alive and we could’ve scored something on this drive)

Johnson dropped the 4th down ball (could’ve kept our drive alive and we could’ve scored something on this drive)

Missed field goal (3 points here)

Missed extra point (1 point here)

I’m irritated!

PJ running on the field costed us field position, not the ball

how about the 47 missed tackles..... I think that played a bigger part

PJ running on the field costed us field position, not the ball

how about the 47 missed tackles..... I think that played a bigger part

Oh no my friend...PJ got penalized which offset Iowa’s late hit on Johnson! If he hadn’t run on the field, we would’ve gotten a first down and continued our drive!

I basically wrote off our D so that’s why I didn’t mention any D missed opportunities. Solely based on our Offense potential points...we could’ve easily won!

Oh no my friend...PJ got penalized which offset Iowa’s late hit on Johnson! If he hadn’t run on the field, we would’ve gotten a first down and continued our drive!

I basically wrote off our D so that’s why I didn’t mention any D missed opportunities. Solely based on our Offense potential points...we could’ve easily won!
That's incorrect. They ruled that the late hit was after the play. So we still would have turned the ball over and then Iowa would have been penalized.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think you are wrong, and so do all of the football minds who have stated words on the subject.

It's simple. Iowa has a great coaching staff and they exploited us BADLY in the first half. It forced us to have to play flawless in the 2nd half to comeback. While we played much better, we still made a few costly mistakes in key spots.

They addressed it during the game, not sure why you don’t get it. The flags happened AFTER the play making them dead ball fouls. It was Iowa’s ball, only question was where.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unless the announcers were wrong, which very well could be, they commented on how since the penalty was after the failed 4th down it would still have been Iowa's ball. I don't agree with it but just going off of what they all said

unless the announcers were wrong, which very well could be, they commented on how since the penalty was after the failed 4th down it would still have been Iowa's ball. I don't agree with it but just going off of what they all said

Pretty sure the rules expert would have questioned it if there was something to question in regards to possession.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the penalty wasn’t a dead ball penalty, it would have been our ball regardless PJ’s penalty. His penalty did not cost us possession, TJ’s drop did.

Right. PJ cost us 15-yards (bad enough), but not possession. TJ6 cost us that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why we lost?

-missed tackles
-a horrible defensive game plan to start
-a refusal to change that horrible game plan until half time
-drops
-an inability to get play calls in quickly in hurry up situations

On the one hand, it's a little encouraging we had a chance to drive to win despite these self-inflicted wounds. On the other, it's a little disheartening we spent a week buying into our own hype before committing these unforced errors in such a big game.

I'm too lazy to do it, but I would like to see the passing numbers of blitz vs coverage. It seemed like any time we sent and extra guy, someting good happened

First half defense didn’t show up - both in effort and in approach. It was like we assumed Iowa had a poor offense and didn’t think we needed to try. Iowa’s offense pushed us around and we played soft in the secondary. My guess is the chance of winning is quite small if you allow touchdowns on the opponent’s first three drives. That’s why the Gophers lost.

There are many ways we could have one. Two things that stand out to me were the lack of a kicking game (if you go back and assume we make FG's where the average kicker would make them, we win), and that Kramer came in at the end when Clark is the better passer and we were in a pass dependent one-minute offense.

It's simple. Iowa has a great coaching staff and they exploited us BADLY in the first half. It forced us to have to play flawless in the 2nd half to comeback. While we played much better, we still made a few costly mistakes in key spots.

Rossi’s Glen masonesque first half gameplan was part of the problem.
Visions of David Gibbs.

I'm too lazy to do it, but I would like to see the passing numbers of blitz vs coverage. It seemed like any time we sent and extra guy, someting good happened

Yup. I mean, my mom couldn’t have been a worse d coordinator in the first half. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

The most astounding thing about this game was that we had the ball at the end with a chance to drive for a TD and win.

There were plenty of times TC played very soft until halftime and the adjusted brilliantly to shut down our foe the second half. Rossi adjusted beautifully as well- why one can’t adjust earlier is puzzling to me but this isn’t a Rossi only phenomenon.

There are many ways we could have one. Two things that stand out to me were the lack of a kicking game (if you go back and assume we make FG's where the average kicker would make them, we win), and that Kramer came in at the end when Clark is the better passer and we were in a pass dependent one-minute offense.

Kramer has been the second string all along. If you think Clark was the difference on a third and 23 you are sadly mislead.

Why (I’m so effing pissed)

Why did we play prevent defense the entire first half?

Iowa beat us at our own game. They held the ball and owned the clock. They played really well despite the fact that we had every opportunity to win.

TJ's drop was heartbreaking, but he had a huge game and without him we aren't in a position to win anyway. I hate that we lost this game, but posters on GH just aren't reasonable after this game.

Kramer has been the second string all along. If you think Clark was the difference on a third and 23 you are sadly mislead.

Kramer has not been THIRD string all along. He and Clark have been rotating roles each week. Try to keep up.

Daniel House shouldn’t be able to analyze Iowa going into the game better than our coaching staff. His number one point of emphasis...bring pressure versus Iowa...they can’t handle it.

Offensively: how many times did we need to run wide for a loss or no gain to realize it was ineffective? We won’t know because time ran out.

In contrast we had some quick, sudden blasts up the middle for nice gains but but very seldom called it.

We needed help with their monster pass rusher to our left side. Keep a tight end in the backfield to slow him down, roll Tanner out to the right...do something as late in the game this was an issue.

I bet the SP+ post game win probability report shows the Gophers would have won that game over 60% of the time. Lost in the loss was another extremely efficient passing performance against a good defense.

We've been remarkably consistent at punching in "green zone" chances and today there were some failures and some bad luck that turned touchdowns into field goals and field goals into turnovers on downs. Kicking game needs to get sorted.

Iowa beat us at our own game. They held the ball and owned the clock. They played really well despite the fact that we had every opportunity to win.

TJ's drop was heartbreaking, but he had a huge game and without him we aren't in a position to win anyway. I hate that we lost this game, but posters on GH just aren't reasonable after this game.

The Gophers won the TOP battle 32:20 to 27:40. This was simply a case of losing on the scoreboard when the Gophers were better. Remember how our computer ranks actually fell after beating Penn State? Watch them rise tomorrow.

have to look at the system for getting plays called and run before the play clock runs out. burning too many time outs because they can't get the play run in time. up to now, that hasn't been an issue. but in a close game, losing time outs can bite you.

and the kicking game has to get settled one way or another.

Why we lost?

-missed tackles
-a horrible defensive game plan to start
-a refusal to change that horrible game plan until half time
-drops
-an inability to get play calls in quickly in hurry up situations

On the one hand, it's a little encouraging we had a chance to drive to win despite these self-inflicted wounds. On the other, it's a little disheartening we spent a week buying into our own hype before committing these unforced errors in such a big game.

The bolded was the big one to me. Change 2-3 of those drops to catches and it would have changed a lot. Heck, even just one of them. Love TJ, but that 4th down drop was a game-changer.

Also, sucks to miss an extra point and FG and lose by 4 points.

Hard to blame the kid for the 50 yarder.

Top Bottom