Morgan being evaluated for a possible concussion.

Yes he was a 5* https://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Epenesa-36208/high-school-59706/

But that doesn't mean he's unblockable. Should've slid the line towards him, no matter what. Should've had a TE in the backfield, helping to blocking him, where ever he lined up. Etc.

Not only didn't do that, but we had an OG going 1-on-1 with no help, when our OG hadn't gone against him the whole game and wasn't used to his speed moves. Cost us potentially this game as well as other games if Morgan can't go.

pure comedy of the 20/20 hindsight here. if the guy never lined up over the OG, how is the coaching staff supposed to anticipate it?

Morgan will probably still be listed as the starter when they release the "official" depth chart.

which really means nothing. as noted, we'll know who the starter is at about 11:00 Saturday morning. Unless they come out for warm-ups and Morgan is not in uniform.

again, if he is not 100%, then play Kramer or Clark. It's not like Northwestern is a power-house. In all honesty, the Gophers should be able to beat NW with a backup quarterback.

Someone with a better memory please chime in - I remember a game where Tony Mortenson had to play QB due to an injury and the Gophers beat.....somebody...... this was during the Mason years.

Sliding the line can be (and is) a pre-snap decision.

And you simply assign a TE to line up wherever he goes and wait for him, if he gets past the OL. They have numbers on the uniforms. “Ko, go wherever 94 lines up and wait to see if he gets past the OK, then block him!”

If I can think of it, then it ain’t that hard/complex.

Didn't he beat Wisconsin? My memory is sketchy

Morgan will probably still be listed as the starter when they release the "official" depth chart.

which really means nothing. as noted, we'll know who the starter is at about 11:00 Saturday morning. Unless they come out for warm-ups and Morgan is not in uniform.

again, if he is not 100%, then play Kramer or Clark. It's not like Northwestern is a power-house. In all honesty, the Gophers should be able to beat NW with a backup quarterback.

Someone with a better memory please chime in - I remember a game where Tony Mortenson had to play QB due to an injury and the Gophers beat.....somebody...... this was during the Mason years.

Tony Mortensen started against the Badgers in 2005 due to a Cupito injury and we lost 38-34.

The interesting thing will be what / if PJ says anything.

While coach's are often cagey about responding to questions about injuries / are not always honest ...

Coach's generally catch a lot of flack for not being honest / accurate about concussion protocol.

If he mentions specifics about concussion protocol... I'll be inclined to belive he's being somewhat transparent. If he says very little / nothing then who knows.

Did you read the chart above?
Scoring opps: Penn State 8, Minnesota 6
Points per opp: Penn State 3.25, Minnesota 5.17
TO luck: Minnesota +2.6

Minnesota outperformed their expected total... by more than the winning margin.
They were outplayed in that game.
Spend 5 minutes looking at the data.

Don't like the data? Then listen to the pundits. Paraphrased ESPN aggregate quote: "Minnesota won because of two missed pass interference penalties."

They aren't wrong.

As for the Iowa game....
If Minnesota punts instead of kicks from 50, then kicks instead of goes on the next 4th, then they win that game.
If Fleck doesn't run onto the field and Minnesota pins Iowa on the 2, then they probably win that game.
If Johnson doesn't drop that pass, then they probably win that game.

Everything went wrong for the Gophers on Saturday and they still came down to the wire.
This Minnesota team is really, really good. They are undoubtedly better than Iowa despite the loss.
I still expect them to win the West, and I think they give OSU a hell of a game to decide a playoff birth, but if PSU just takes their points then they would have walked out of TCF with a W.

You couldn't be more wrong. Minnesota spent basically the entire fourth quarter playing "waste the clock" in a game where Morgan was 18/20 passing. They could have scored again to keep Penn State at arms length. So no....they were not outplayed in that game. And if you are going to bring up penalties to pad your argument....delay of game on PSU's final touchdown. 3rd and 7 is a hell of a lot different than 3rd and 2.

He said on KFAN at 11:45 this morning that he doesn't have an update today yet. Said that Kramer and Clark will alternate until one separates. Said it was Kramer's turn on Saturday. Said they would have both Freshmen ready to play if needed this weekend.

In the end, don't expect any answers all week.

That would be substituting for an injured Asad Abdul Khaliq vs Wisconsin 03'?

Benji Kamrath was the QB late in the 03 badger game. Mortenson started the 05 badger game.

As far as winning the West goes, this game is meaningless.

That leads me to think Tanner won't play if it's even close.

I was at the game and had a good view of it, but I think people need to re-watch the sack he took in the 4th quarter a few drives before. The drive before the last TD, where he was sacked on 3rd down (followed by another Jacob Herbers special), he got sacked and it looked to me that he took a helmet to helmet hit (possible targeting).

I think that play needs to be looked at a little more as potential the play that it happened. Played the next drive and the first two plays of the final drive before leaving.

I think you are spot on here. I was at the game, too, and thought the same thing. Also, both Clark and Kramer were warming up on the sideline after this.

In any event, really hope Morgan is okay and recovers quickly.

That's not going to happen though.

They've got a shot for sure. Maybe Rondale is back? I thought he's been week to week for awhile. Purdue isn't good, but stranger upsets have happened.

If Ciarrocca and Fleck don't think Seth Green can be the starter, then Cole Kramer or Jacob Clark should play regardless of Red Shirt status if Tanner Morgan is out. What is the best choice out there? If he is concussed, he may be out of the Wisconsin game too. It does not sound like Annexstad is game ready IMHO.

There are plus and minuses for burning one of the red shirts. I would take whoever will give the best chance for a victory. The serious consideration is who will be the starter against Wisconsin.

If Wisconsin wins this Saturday, they stay a game behind. They can win the Big Ten West if they beat the Gophers. How are Fleck, Ciarrocca, and Rossi going to salvage the season? You can bet that Wiscy has revenge on their mind.

He said on KFAN at 11:45 this morning that he doesn't have an update today yet. Said that Kramer and Clark will alternate until one separates. Said it was Kramer's turn on Saturday. Said they would have both Freshmen ready to play if needed this weekend.

In the end, don't expect any answers all week.
Kramer would burn his red shirt if he plays Saturday. Clark could play Saturday and against Wisconsin without doing so. Nevertheless, both games are in jeopardy without Morgan. NW launched a freshman running back Saturday, picked up over 200 yards. They won't be a pushover at home against a high school QB. My guess is we'll run all day, though Clark did throw a 40-yard beauty in his one appearance this year.

Benji Kamrath....2003....beat Wisconsin as a backup.

Kramer would burn his red shirt if he plays Saturday. Clark could play Saturday and against Wisconsin without doing so. Nevertheless, both games are in jeopardy without Morgan. NW launched a freshman running back Saturday, picked up over 200 yards. They won't be a pushover at home against a high school QB. My guess is we'll run all day, though Clark did throw a 40-yard beauty in his one appearance this year.

Against a high school QB? What does that even mean?

Your numbers are wrong, unsurprisingly. Kramer can make one more appearance this year, and Clark can make three more appearances, without either losing their redshirt.

Anyone else just have the feeling Morgan won't be in uniform next Saturday? This is only my gut instinct but given the way concussions are now treated and the fact everyone (rightfully) wants to error on the side of caution, it just seems unlikely to me. And, as usual, there likely won't be any word on this until Saturday when the team is out doing warm ups.

I was encouraged by the one ball Clark threw this season and perhaps the silver lining is he will shine in his debut and get us all excited about his future. Just based on comments that Fleck has made, I am assuming Clark would get the start. Fleck has said that Kramer has had to "start over" after coming from a run heavy option HS team. Obviously would prefer to have Morgan in there to continue the great season the offense has had with him at QB.

I think they'll start Kramer and try to run the ball a ton.

Could be mistaken, but I believe Mortenson was the QB (Cupito was out that day) when we beat Michigan at the Big House in 05 to end a loooong losing streak to the Wolverines.

Could be mistaken, but I believe Mortenson was the QB (Cupito was out that day) when we beat Michigan at the Big House in 05 to end a loooong losing streak to the Wolverines.
Yes, you are mistaken. Cupito played the entire game against Michigan in 2005.

I think I could get 200+ yds against UMass. Not overly concerned about the Fr RB. But I agree that this game will be much more run oriented if Morgan is out.

I'm a bit worried about this "We'll just run a lot" concept.

Every time (including OOC games) we've chosen to deliberately just run a bunch teams seemed to have no problems stopping a run first approach.

Granted it is Northwestern and I'd love to just run out a win, I'm just worried that this team is really pass first and any effort to run a lot will result in a lot of stalle drives.

Anyone else just have the feeling Morgan won't be in uniform next Saturday? This is only my gut instinct but given the way concussions are now treated and the fact everyone (rightfully) wants to error on the side of caution, it just seems unlikely to me. And, as usual, there likely won't be any word on this until Saturday when the team is out doing warm ups.

I was encouraged by the one ball Clark threw this season and perhaps the silver lining is he will shine in his debut and get us all excited about his future. Just based on comments that Fleck has made, I am assuming Clark would get the start. Fleck has said that Kramer has had to "start over" after coming from a run heavy option HS team. Obviously would prefer to have Morgan in there to continue the great season the offense has had with him at QB.

So far PJ hasn't said much ... to me that means he could be just being coy as a strategy.

If he says stuff about concussion protocol (something coach's aren't likely to play any gamesmanship with) ... then i'm worried he won't play.

Top Bottom