Morgan being evaluated for a possible concussion.

If the Gophers need to play a freshman against Northwestern, I'd start Jacob Clark. He'll make some mistakes; but I think that he can make some big completions. He had to carry his h.s. team in some big games. If it isn't working, then play Kramer.

Man, I hope you’re right. In the limited amount of video footage from fall camp, he looked a little rough, but he’s had a few months to get better. I’d be interested in hearing from those who attended some of the practices on this. I just remember some people mentioning his slow, looping throwing motion and his lack of ability to handle a pocket awareness drill.

Last edited:

No, I most certainly am not, you might want to take a quick course on reading comprehension because 'gifted' != best.
Aren't you the guy that got on me for saying the Gophers were over-rated last week?
Have anything to say now?

You are still 100% wrong about Penn State being the better team last week. This week doesn't matter at all in regard to that.

Many, many years ago, Alex Karas (All Pro, DT and movie star) played for the Hawkeyes. At the end of one game, I think against the Gophers, he faked an injury at the end of the game which saved the win for the Hawkeyes. That fake caused quite a stir at that time and was much talked about for many years after. Thus, "fake injuries" to stop the clock when you have no time outs left would not have been "unthinkable" to Coach Ferenz.

This is what has me concerned about the possibility of playing a good Northwestern defense without Morgan.

Saw this on Twitter...

Gophs last 2 games vs Penn St and Iowa:

Tanner Morgan
43/56 (77 comp %) 707 yds 4 TDs 0 INT

Team rushing:
70 carries 184 yds 2.63 avg 2 TDs

At the game the Iowa fans were booing Morgan because they thought he was faking an injury. What QB would fake an injury on the final drive of the game?

Lots of people on Twitter still talking about it. Trying to explain it wasn’t an advantage for the Gophers. If you’re Iowa you’d prefer a true freshman have to come in there with the clock stopped than Morgan still in and not hurt even with the clock running.

Man, I hope you’re right. In the limited amount of video footage from fall camp, he looked a little rough, but he’s had a few months to get better. I’d be interested in hearing from those who attended some of the practices on this. I just remember some people mentioning his slow, looping throwing motion and his lack of ability to handle a pocket awareness drill.

He looked better than Kramer in Fall practices.

Kramer is #2 right now, behind Morgan. When Annexstad is ready Kramer will be #3. Maybe that changes next year. The coaches put in the guy they thought had the best chance to extend/make plays vs a vicious pass rush on the road. Pretty ringing endorsement. To think PJF was throwing in the towel to save a redshirt game, in a game he clearly badly wanted, is really strange.

Didn't either Clark or Kramer come in for a play in another game and have a great completed pass? Who was that? I don't think burning a redshirt matters this year. As others have said they can redshirt next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kramer is #2 right now, behind Morgan. When Annexstad is ready Kramer will be #3. Maybe that changes next year. The coaches put in the guy they thought had the best chance to extend/make plays vs a vicious pass rush on the road. Pretty ringing endorsement. To think PJF was throwing in the towel to save a redshirt game, in a game he clearly badly wanted, is really strange.

To me it seemed like Clark is the true #2 as he was warming up but then the coaches decided they didn't want to waste one of his games to put him in a third and 30 with under a minute left so they put Kramer in.

Didn't either Clark or Kramer come in for a play in another game and have a great completed pass? Who was that? I don't think burning a redshirt matters this year. As others have said they can redshirt next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They both have come in during previous games (the same game, I believe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it seemed like Clark is the true #2 as he was warming up but then the coaches decided they didn't want to waste one of his games to put him in a third and 30 with under a minute left so they put Kramer in.

I find that really, really difficult to believe.

Of the three yeah, he seemed to have the longest/slowest delivery. In the (very limited) drills he (and Kramer) also seemed to have spotty accuracy vs TM2. The coaches obviously see these guys every day. I strongly doubt anyone else on the roster has Morgan’s accuracy.

If accuracy, decision making, etc relatively equal Kramer seems to have the best wheels of anyone in the QB room which is a decided advantage.

If Morgan is out next week I guess we’ll find out who the coaches favor vs that defense. Maybe Green plays all game to save the redshirts.

I realize this means almost nothing...

——-
From Andy Greder on Twitter...

#Gophers coach PJ Fleck on @wccoradio said that it's too early to draw conclusions on quarterback Tanner Morgan’s health after feeling “woozy” late in 23-19 loss to #Hawkeyes.

Fleck said Morgan should be “OK,” but in Fleck’s venacular, this has zero bearing on Morgan’s status.

https://twitter.com/andygreder/status/1196106869212889089?s=21

We need a guy who can throw (Clark?), to keep our offense sharp. But I fear the coaches may try to win by running all day, hence using Kramer.

You are still 100% wrong about Penn State being the better team last week. This week doesn't matter at all in regard to that.

No, I'm not wrong. Just like the Gopher should have won this week, PSU should have won last week.

Let’s just get rid of the scoreboard and award wins and losses based on total yards.

Expected points, scoring ops, etc. all favored PSU then Minnesota.
The fact that people here are unable to separate performance from score is mind blowing.

Expected points, scoring ops, etc. all favored PSU then Minnesota.
The fact that people here are unable to separate performance from score is mind blowing.

I can, and I watched a Gopher team completely dominate Penn State until they started trying to milk clock.

Many, many years ago, Alex Karas (All Pro, DT and movie star) played for the Hawkeyes. At the end of one game, I think against the Gophers, he faked an injury at the end of the game which saved the win for the Hawkeyes. That fake caused quite a stir at that time and was much talked about for many years after. Thus, "fake injuries" to stop the clock when you have no time outs left would not have been "unthinkable" to Coach Ferenz.

Whoa, that is a stretch. Karras played for Iowa the late 50's. Was Ferentz 3 or 4 years old when this happened?

I can, and I watched a Gopher team completely dominate Penn State until they started trying to milk clock.

Look, this thread is spiraling away from the topic, but you know where I stand. They have to be able to run the ball in running situations if they want to win. If they can't do that, then it reduces their ability to win future games. The Gophers couldn't run in running situations yesterday, and that was a contributing factor to the loss.

At the game the Iowa fans were booing Morgan because they thought he was faking an injury. What QB would fake an injury on the final drive of the game?

I was already annoyed with losing to IO. but their fans booing Tanner will continue the strong dislike of their fans.

Does anyone know what the “concussion protocol” consists of? I would guess that it’s at least a couple of days of evaluation, but I really have no idea.

Does anyone know what the “concussion protocol” consists of? I would guess that it’s at least a couple of days of evaluation, but I really have no idea.

Sure someone will post the exact details but I know there are a series of tests they run with players to establish brain function under normal conditions and then run the same tests when a concussion is expected. If a player passes the tests and doesn't have any other concussion symptoms (headache...) they usually get cleared to play.

Edit - Found this link online.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ssi/concussion/a5prot/SSI_A5Prot-UniversityofMinnesota.pdf

Last edited:

Has Kramer really played in 3 games this year? Which games? I honestly don't recall seeing him before yesterday.

Concussion protocol is a series of tests to see what your baseline is.
In the event you get your head knocked, you get asked similar questions to see if you can answer the same.

If so, you might be fine.
If not, you go into the longer term concussion protocol until you are back to baseline, or allowed to play by a certified trainer / doctor independent of the team.

If you get hit and recognized, you "go into the protocol" but if you pass you're fine.
If you don't pass, it's essentially a day-to-day. If Morgan got a concussion it didn't seem as bad as many others.
I would highly expect he is our starter next week.

He played against Rutgers and Maryland.

Okay, I didn't realize that. I think Kramer is the prototype Fleck QB for this offense, so I'd like to preserve his redshirt, but as others have mentioned with Morgan and Zack coming back, he may be able to use it next year a la Bryce Williams. If Morgan can't go, I just want to see the guy with the best chance to win out there next weekend. This is a special season, and you need to kind of set everything else aside.

Tanner did run to the tent after coming to the sidelines. That doesn't necessarily mean he's good to play, but he seemed to be moving swiftly and purposefully shortly after.

Top Bottom