Morgan being evaluated for a possible concussion.

On the Back-up QB, all I can add is that Mike Grant said Kramer was one of the smartest QB's he's ever had at Eden Prairie.

If Morgan can't go, I want the Gophers to play the guy who is least likely to cr*p his pants. I suspect that is Kramer.

On Concussions - I don't know how colleges handle it, but in HS in MN, all athletes take a baseline concussion test before the season. They answer a series of questions on a computer while working against a time limit. their final score becomes their baseline score for the season. Any athlete who is suspected of a concussion has to re-take the test. if their score falls below the baseline score by a certain %, then they go into concussion protocol and may not return to practice or competition until their test score is back within the acceptable margin. the protocol also involves the typical symptoms - light sensitivity, headaches, etc. I've known kids who got a concussion and were back in a week. And I've known kids who got a concussion and were out for weeks or months. I knew one girl who got a concussion playing basketball during her sophomore year. She never played another game in her career. so, every case is unique, and there is really no way to know how any individual will respond.

Whoa, that is a stretch. Karras played for Iowa the late 50's. Was Ferentz 3 or 4 years old when this happened?

I was responding to the question as why Ferenz was concerned. He knew the famous Karras story even though many here did not. The idea that someone could or would fake an injury was of course alwasy possible.

I was responding to the question as why Ferenz was concerned. He knew the famous Karras story even though many here did not. The idea that someone could or would fake an injury was of course alwasy possible.

Uunderstood. Apologies.

Didn't either Clark or Kramer come in for a play in another game and have a great completed pass? Who was that? I don't think burning a redshirt matters this year. As others have said they can redshirt next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clark.

Just rewatched the game and went to the end where we had the ball at 1:52 (our last possession). In slow-mo, freaking #77 Blaise Andries F up so bad TWO F-ing plays in a row where the DL man flew right by him! Him alone F-ed up for us the last drive and caused our TM to be concussed! I'm so irritated and pissed off at that kid! TWO PLAYS in a row he allow the DL to blow by him. GOD he sucks!

Just rewatched the game and went to the end where we had the ball at 1:52 (our last possession). In slow-mo, freaking #77 Blaise Andries F up so bad TWO F-ing plays in a row where the DL man flew right by him! Him alone F-ed up for us the last drive and caused our TM to be concussed! I'm so irritated and pissed off at that kid! TWO PLAYS in a row he allow the DL to blow by him. GOD he sucks!

There were plenty of mistakes before that to put Gophs in the position they were at that point...

Chill dude.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There were plenty of mistakes before that to put Gophs in the position they were at that point...

Sure, but our QB didn't get injured on those. Not all mistakes are equal unless we're talking about a multiple choice test.

Epenesa strikes again. Guy singlehandledly destroyed us.

Between Schlueter and Andries waistbending whiffs, we made him look like the #1 NFL pick.

It is HE alone not HIM alone.

On the Back-up QB, all I can add is that Mike Grant said Kramer was one of the smartest QB's he's ever had at Eden Prairie.

If Morgan can't go, I want the Gophers to play the guy who is least likely to cr*p his pants. I suspect that is Kramer.

On Concussions - I don't know how colleges handle it, but in HS in MN, all athletes take a baseline concussion test before the season. They answer a series of questions on a computer while working against a time limit. their final score becomes their baseline score for the season. Any athlete who is suspected of a concussion has to re-take the test. if their score falls below the baseline score by a certain %, then they go into concussion protocol and may not return to practice or competition until their test score is back within the acceptable margin. the protocol also involves the typical symptoms - light sensitivity, headaches, etc. I've known kids who got a concussion and were back in a week. And I've known kids who got a concussion and were out for weeks or months. I knew one girl who got a concussion playing basketball during her sophomore year. She never played another game in her career. so, every case is unique, and there is really no way to know how any individual will respond.

Thanks for the insight. Never knew that. I wish we had those tests when I was playing. We never paid any attention to it back then, and someone that got one was a weakling. Might explain a few of my actions these days, or maybe it's just the beer...…..
Anyway, hopefully Tanner will be ok by next week.

Ferentz was excited, because he wanted a 10 second run off, it was pointed out to him that it wasn't under a minute left, thus no run off.

That is very easy to manipulate. Just have a very poor original score.

Expected points, scoring ops, etc. all favored PSU then Minnesota.
The fact that people here are unable to separate performance from score is mind blowing.
SP+ gave Minnesota a 74% win expectancy vs. PSU based on performance.

EJHPEgiXsAABDii

Tanner did run to the tent after coming to the sidelines. That doesn't necessarily mean he's good to play, but he seemed to be moving swiftly and purposefully shortly after.

I don't think that means too much. I once played IM flag football with a friend who got his legs taken out from under him and landed on his head. We all knew something was wrong because he kept re-asking what the play was, but otherwise he seemed fine and he ended up playing easily the best game I ever saw him play, leading us to a W. When we got back to the apartment after the game, we finally realized he was literally flipping his brain around every 20-60 seconds, kind of like the one patient (Ted?) in the hospital in the movie 50 First Dates. We had to trick him to get him to let us take him to the ER (he was a strong boxer dude, and was refusing to go). The great news was that they deemed him fine to return to normal life by the next morning.

Gophers out played Penn State and Iowa out played the Gophers. You are wrong again.

Did you read the chart above?
Scoring opps: Penn State 8, Minnesota 6
Points per opp: Penn State 3.25, Minnesota 5.17
TO luck: Minnesota +2.6

Minnesota outperformed their expected total... by more than the winning margin.
They were outplayed in that game.
Spend 5 minutes looking at the data.

Don't like the data? Then listen to the pundits. Paraphrased ESPN aggregate quote: "Minnesota won because of two missed pass interference penalties."

They aren't wrong.

As for the Iowa game....
If Minnesota punts instead of kicks from 50, then kicks instead of goes on the next 4th, then they win that game.
If Fleck doesn't run onto the field and Minnesota pins Iowa on the 2, then they probably win that game.
If Johnson doesn't drop that pass, then they probably win that game.

Everything went wrong for the Gophers on Saturday and they still came down to the wire.
This Minnesota team is really, really good. They are undoubtedly better than Iowa despite the loss.
I still expect them to win the West, and I think they give OSU a hell of a game to decide a playoff birth, but if PSU just takes their points then they would have walked out of TCF with a W.

Last edited:

Did you read the chart above?
Scoring opps: Penn State 8, Minnesota 6
Points per opp: Penn State 3.25, Minnesota 5.17
TO luck: Minnesota +2.6

Minnesota outperformed their expected total... by more than the winning margin.
They were outplayed in that game.
Spend 5 minutes looking at the data.

Don't like the data? Then listen to the pundits. Paraphrased ESPN aggregate quote: "Minnesota won because of two missed pass interference penalties."

They aren't wrong.

As for the Iowa game....
If Minnesota punts instead of kicks from 50, then kicks instead of goes on the next 4th, then they win that game.
If Fleck doesn't run onto the field and Minnesota pins Iowa on the 2, then they probably win that game.
If Johnson doesn't drop that pass, then they probably win that game.

Everything went wrong for the Gophers on Saturday and they still came down to the wire.
This Minnesota team is really, really good. They are undoubtedly better than Iowa despite the loss.
I still expect them to win the West, and I think they give OSU a hell of a game to decide a playoff birth, but if PSU just takes their points then they would have walked out of TCF with a W.

Everything went wrong usually isn't a good thing. The team that made less mistakes won.

I'm sorry you learned the game from playing Madden.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread...but any update on Morgan's concussion?

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread...but any update on Morgan's concussion?

I wouldn't hold your breath. This is one of those cases where it will be in the coaching staffs best interests to keep quiet on his status. Make Northwestern guess as to who will be under center and spend time preparing for guys with little to no college film to evaluate.

When Morgan went down and was slow to get up, the last thing I would have thought was concussion. The DL landed on top of him with all his weight while Morgan was sideways. I immediately thought rib, shoulder or collarbone issue. Maybe I should re-watch.

When Morgan went down and was slow to get up, the last thing I would have thought was concussion. The DL landed on top of him with all his weight while Morgan was sideways. I immediately thought rib, shoulder or collarbone issue. Maybe I should re-watch.

Any kind of hit can result in a concussion, not just a hard hit to the head.

Some studies have shown concussion symptoms in offensive linemen simply enduring relatively low level impacts over time.

You understand that DL is going to be a 1st Round Pick this year right? One of the highest (if not THE highest) recruit Iowa has ever gotten. He got beat, it just happened to be on the biggest plays. 1-1 with a 5* Top 10-recruit isn't the easiest thing to do in the world pal. TM took the field knowing that he could get hurt - they all do. It's called playing the sport. TM will be fine - he will be starting this week.

All we can say for sure is that it is all but guaranteed that Fleck won't let it be known if Morgan is going to play at NW this week.

We won't know until the game starts.

You understand that DL is going to be a 1st Round Pick this year right? One of the highest (if not THE highest) recruit Iowa has ever gotten. He got beat, it just happened to be on the biggest plays. 1-1 with a 5* Top 10-recruit isn't the easiest thing to do in the world pal. TM took the field knowing that he could get hurt - they all do. It's called playing the sport. TM will be fine - he will be starting this week.

Yes he was a 5* https://247sports.com/Player/AJ-Epenesa-36208/high-school-59706/

But that doesn't mean he's unblockable. Should've slid the line towards him, no matter what. Should've had a TE in the backfield, helping to blocking him, where ever he lined up. Etc.

Not only didn't do that, but we had an OG going 1-on-1 with no help, when our OG hadn't gone against him the whole game and wasn't used to his speed moves. Cost us potentially this game as well as other games if Morgan can't go.

I was at the game and had a good view of it, but I think people need to re-watch the sack he took in the 4th quarter a few drives before. The drive before the last TD, where he was sacked on 3rd down (followed by another Jacob Herbers special), he got sacked and it looked to me that he took a helmet to helmet hit (possible targeting).

I think that play needs to be looked at a little more as potential the play that it happened. Played the next drive and the first two plays of the final drive before leaving.

I was at the game and had a good view of it, but I think people need to re-watch the sack he took in the 4th quarter a few drives before. The drive before the last TD, where he was sacked on 3rd down (followed by another Jacob Herbers special), he got sacked and it looked to me that he took a helmet to helmet hit (possible targeting).

I think that play needs to be looked at a little more as potential the play that it happened. Played the next drive and the first two plays of the final drive before leaving.

Good points.

PJ comment on this specifically, saying he trusts our training staff. They felt he could go, and Morgan wanted to go. Maybe in hindsight (always 20/20), we should've not allowed that.

Morgan is a tough kid. I can imagine him playing through a concussion without telling anyone. That’s not smart, but that’s how these ultra competitive guys roll. He looked more like Drew Brees 2.0 in that 2nd half than at any point in his career, so far. He’s was focused and determined. I’d prefer to be able to milk the clock with a big lead, but I’m confident he’ll come through in many similar situations before he’s done here.

Top Bottom