Missing Dunlap was HUGE

VACTERL

Reaction score
Do we know what the injury is? What’s the outlook?

Our offense was out of sorts - credit Iowa D - but our o-line play felt different. Felt worse.

I thought we went up and down the field most of the game.

I remember when we had 6 points thinking how the hell do we only have 6 points?

We had some massive red zone issues in this game.

should have scored 30 easy in Iowa. I don't know that missing him was that huge.

I think it could be some of both but I would say the Hawk D was pretty tough, especially at the end of the game. Despite that the Gophers put up a crap ton of yards.

We may have missed Dunlap a fair amount. Hard to say.

meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we know what the injury is? What’s the outlook?

Our offense was out of sorts - credit Iowa D - but our o-line play felt different. Felt worse.

I agree, this was not spoken about nearly enough in the broadcast.
Moreover, Iowa has a really, really good pass rush. I was worried about the o-line coming into this, and I'm not surprised by what happened there.

Hopefully they'll get it figured out.

That said, that will probably be the toughest pass rush we see for the rest of the season.

I agree, this was not spoken about nearly enough in the broadcast.
Moreover, Iowa has a really, really good pass rush. I was worried about the o-line coming into this, and I'm not surprised by what happened there.

Hopefully they'll get it figured out.

That said, that will probably be the toughest pass rush we see for the rest of the season.

I think OSU’s will be better

Last edited:

If it hurt, it hurt in running the ball. Never got that going. Our pass protection was fine, Tanner had plenty of time and we gashed them most of the night.

Agree about running. The first half was tough running-wise.

Was Dunlap concussion related or foot/ Leg injury?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

If it hurt, it hurt in running the ball. Never got that going. Our pass protection was fine, Tanner had plenty of time and we gashed them most of the night.

Pass protection (lack of enough) cost us SIX sacks, Morgan a concussion and two important plays, and potentially a future game or two. The pass protection was not as bad as the run blocking, but it was not good, either. It is perplexing that the O-line hardly gave up a pass rush against a very talented PSU front, but struggled against Iowa's. Perhaps Dunlap was a part of that reason (?).

Last edited:

Agree about running. The first half was tough running-wise.

It was stupid as hell that we continued to try to force the running game, especially when the passing game was largely working. Cannot waste opportunities in big games and expect to win.

Pass protection (lack of enough) cost us SIX sacks, Morgan a concussion and two important plays, and potentially a future game or two. The pass protection was not as bad as the run blocking, but it was not good, either. It is perplexing that the O-line hardly gave up a pass rush against a very talented PSU front, but struggled against Iowa's. Perhaps Dunlap was a part of that reason (?).

And yet we still passed for 370 yards. That should have been good enough for more than 19 points.

Missing Dunlap certainly didn't help.

And yet we still passed for 370 yards. That should have been good enough for more than 19 points.

Missing Dunlap certainly didn't help.

Part of the problem, IMO, was that not having Dunlap badly hurt our chances to punch in the TDs that we normally would have punched in. Some very big ball knockdowns in the first half by Iowa, and they hit Morgan as he was passing several times in key situations; including one that would have been an easy early TD to TJ.

So far this year the drop off between JMS and Dunlap has been negligible. I doubt it makes a difference. If it did then we wouldn’t have been rotating JMS in anyways.

Was a problem because they never went max.protect with 6 linemen today like they did last week. Neutralized the PSU DL advantage. Pass rush was a problem all day. #94 is a stud

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

That offensive line is really concerning me the last 5 quarters. They better get better quickly

OL was horrendous today. Really effing bad

OL was horrendous today. Really effing bad

They were missing a starter and playing against one of the best pass rushers in the country. He did the same thing to Wisconsin and countless other teams before us.
All things considered, I think the Gophers handled it okay.

Two things I didn't understand:
- Why did UMN keep running outside zone even after they realized they could gash them up the middle on every other attempt? They were using their LBs to shore up the edge. UMN Should have taken advantage more than they did.
- Why didn't UMN break out their tunnel screens against that pass rush to freeze him in place? I would think he would be a prime candidate to attack with that play, but I didn't see it called once.

I thought Coach C had a great plan going into that game, and I was pretty surprised that Iowa managed to just bash UMN over the head with it.
I figured if you cheated up on the run and spread the Iowa defense to the edges, Minnesota would win the game.
Instead, Minnesota needed to play man and attack the middle of the field.
That was really odd.

Last edited:

The Gophers have been a low efficiency running team all season. They have been a low efficiency running team against the upper half of the conference every year since Glen Mason got fired. They couldn't run it on Penn State or South Dakota State or Iowa or a bunch of other decent defenses this year. It's not Dunlap. We're just not a good running team. Thank goodness the passing game is shockingly efficient and should be what the team leans on down the stretch.

Our run game was awful. This was a game Dunlap over Schmitz would have made a huge difference

They were missing a starter and playing against one of the best pass rushers in the country. He did the same thing to Wisconsin and countless other teams before us.
All things considered, I think the Gophers handled it okay.

Two things I didn't understand:
- Why did UMN keep running outside zone even after they realized they could gash them up the middle on every other attempt? They were using their LBs to shore up the edge. UMN Should have taken advantage more than they did.
- Why didn't UMN break out their tunnel screens against that pass rush to freeze him in place? I would think he would be a prime candidate to attack with that play, but I didn't see it called once.

I thought Coach C had a great plan going into that game, and I was pretty surprised that Iowa managed to just bash UMN over the head with it.
I figured if you cheated up on the run and spread the Iowa defense to the edges, Minnesota would win the game.
Instead, Minnesota needed to play man and attack the middle of the field.
That was really odd.

This. I too did not understand our offensive insistence on running wide, in particular.

Was a problem because they never went max.protect with 6 linemen today like they did last week. Neutralized the PSU DL advantage. Pass rush was a problem all day. #94 is a stud

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

This is what I was thinking as well. Thanks for mentioning it. I didn't watch their formations that closely, but I didn't notice them using that look, yesterday. It had become somewhat of a staple of their offense with great results.

One of the biggest concerns coming into the season was depth along the offensive line. They had been lucky in avoiding injuries to the OL until this past week.

Iowa baited us into running wide. Nice coaching by their staff. If you watch the game again, notice how often Iowa aligned their weak side end on an inside shade. Several checks at the line from us led to an outside zone, and Iowa simply stretched it out and made more plays than we did.

That's a scheme thing, and Iowa made us play into their hands. Not every check at the line, based upon pure alignment, is the correct check. They out-schemed us in this area of the game.

Our run game was awful. This was a game Dunlap over Schmitz would have made a huge difference

I think that is drawing some conclusions. Dunlap hasn’t exactly been lights out. In fact, he is pretty much the reason we started rotating Schmitz in.

I think that is drawing some conclusions. Dunlap hasn’t exactly been lights out. In fact, he is pretty much the reason we started rotating Schmitz in.

You always seem to be missing the bigger picture on your posts.

Iowa baited us into running wide. Nice coaching by their staff. If you watch the game again, notice how often Iowa aligned their weak side end on an inside shade. Several checks at the line from us led to an outside zone, and Iowa simply stretched it out and made more plays than we did.

That's a scheme thing, and Iowa made us play into their hands. Not every check at the line, based upon pure alignment, is the correct check. They out-schemed us in this area of the game.

This was the first game the opposing D was able to successfully disguise their D against Morgan. Up until yesterday, he has been exceptional at reading their schemes pre-snap and calling audibles at the line as needed. It's been a huge factor in our success. Iowa was the first team to figure out how to negate this. Hopefully it's a learning experience.

You always seem to be missing the bigger picture on your posts.

I do the best I can. I’m sure I would agree with you if I just knew better.

Top Bottom