So why did Fleck run on the field?

In the grand scheme of this game, it didn't matter much that PJ ran onto the field there. Iowa's unsportsmanlike penalty came after a Gopher's 4th down, so Iowa still would have gotten possession. They would have had it around the 5 yard line, as opposed to the 22 yard line, but they still get the ball back in the scenario where PJ doesn't run onto the field.

Just now in the Oregon-Arizona game: Arizona has the ball 3rd and goal on the Oregon 8. After the play, the Oregon defender punches an Arizona receiver. The Arizona player retaliates. Both players are called for unsportsmanlike conduct. There was a clear order of events, but instead of marking the play 4 yards against the defense, then 15 on the offense, the refs just ruled offsetting penalties.

(edit) both were dead ball fouls.

Last edited:

Just now in the Oregon-Arizona game: Arizona has the ball 3rd and goal on the Oregon 8. After the play, the Oregon defender punches an Arizona receiver. The Arizona player retaliates. Both players are called for unsportsmanlike conduct. There was a clear order of events, but instead of marking the play 4 yards against the defense, then 15 on the offense, the refs just ruled offsetting penalties.

Yup. How it is in every effing game. Why every rag in our game huddled together. The same crew that misspotted the ball by six feet in the first quarter. Horrible refs. Horrible uniforms. Horrible announcers. Kick Iowa out of the union.

With targeting on a defenseless player. The unsportsmanlike call was weird.

I trust your take. Now I will have to look at the play again. There are distinguishing factors between a defenseless standard player and a "defenseless reciever." Also targeting has special considerations .

I agree that the announced penalty should have at least been a late hit.

There is no defense. Coaches can't go sprinting out on the field. If Kirk Ferentz had done that, everyone here would be saying he's crazy, he's lost it, or his ego is out of control. Fleck has to have better judgement. It was not a good look.

This nonsense never ends.

It had nothing to do with ego. It wasn’t the end of the world.

For some of you the mere existence on this board is the opportunity to take shots at the head coach.

Congrats you got an opportunity to do just what you were waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again thank you for the rulebook link. I appreciate your assistance in me getting a better understanding of the situation.

I didn’t take the time to look up the rule to be honest. I have the NCAA PDF bookmarked for times like this. My likely ill-informed comments are going off memory which is probably...bad. Besides, the rules are generally suggestions as we all know. The officials call games generally as they see fit.

I didn’t take the time to look up the rule to be honest. I have the NCAA PDF bookmarked for times like this. My likely ill-informed comments are going off memory which is probably...bad. Besides, the rules are generally suggestions as we all know. The officials call games generally as they see fit.

This is all true.

I have found it odd how the same penalty can have different yardages on the same play.
If the net result is penalties on both sides, why are you going "half the distance" one way?
Doesn't seem right that one team is penalized when the net result is a gain for the team deeper in their own end.

Yea, I'm assuming it was handled correctly according to the rules (really don't know, not a rules expert), but it's pretty dumb that two teams can get the same penalty on the same play (or after the play) and one of them gains yardage out of it. I mean, for other penalties that occur during the play that have different yardage consequences (ie offensive holding and defensive pass interference) they just replay the down from the same spot.

Had nothing to do with why we lost the game, but still.

PJ has run onto the field on injuries all year. TJ just got totally laid out after the whistle and looked like he might be hurt - thus PJ running onto the field. The penalty surprised me more than PJs actions.

This. Only this time he ran faster.

I’m a Gopher homer to the max. I’m not even sure it should have been an Iowa penalty. The guy who ran into TJ was coming full speed to tackle TJ. But he dropped the ball. The Iowa was surprised and put the brakes on. He could not possibly avoid TJ. He hit him with his chest slowing down. That’s what I saw.

The entire issue that messed up everybody is TJ dropped the ball. Iowa guy had no where to go and PJ freaked.

If you had watched any of our other games you would have seen that PJ is always going out on the field when one of his players is laid out and does not get up right away. The only difference on this play was how fast he got out there.

Earlier in the game a MN player went down and PJ stayed on the side lines while the trainers attended to the player who was down for a number of minutes.
in the situation we are discussing either PJ was so wired about the impending loss and what it meant he just ran out or he wanted to stop the clock longer to hope to set up a miracle Hail Mary not knowing the IA was getting the ball no matter what.

Personally, I think he just eff'ed up out of emotion. But, it really didn't change anything. I think the refs should have given some latitude to Fleck as the "downed player", and he was downed, was as the result of an unsportsman like conduct call and not injured during the course of play. As it is accepted the hit on TJ was not legal (hence the penalty), I don't think you can treat the response from Fleck the same as if TJ was down on the field from a legal tackle. With both the change in possession as well as the clock stopped due to the flag on the play, this should have been a no-call.

There is no defense. Coaches can't go sprinting out on the field. If Kirk Ferentz had done that, everyone here would be saying he's crazy, he's lost it, or his ego is out of control. Fleck has to have better judgement. It was not a good look.

Agreed, even if that had been a serious injury, you wait for all action to stop and you trot out with the medical staff. That was . . . I don’t know what that was, other than a dumb move.

Top Bottom