So why did Fleck run on the field?

He just addressed it in post-game interview with KFAN.
After listening to him, I agree with him.

Screw these refs. Should have been fired the minute they mis-spotted a ball by six feet.

Whatever he said. He can’t run out on the field like that. He can not do that. No coach can. PJ seems to be the only one who doesn’t know that.

No matter what he said. He can’t do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t matter. A whole bunch of posters here will agree with him no matter what he said.

just can't let it go...can you?

PJ has run onto the field on injuries all year. TJ just got totally laid out after the whistle and looked like he might be hurt - thus PJ running onto the field. The penalty surprised me more than PJs actions.

He just addressed it in post-game interview with KFAN.
After listening to him, I agree with him.

Screw these refs. Should have been fired the minute they mis-spotted a ball by six feet.
So what did he say?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

He said something about how he was not going to let TJ be in on the next play. Confused me a little, because it was a turnover on downs, so all 22 players on the field were not going to be involved in the next play.

Doesn’t matter. A whole bunch of posters here will agree with him no matter what he said.

It does matter. You just can’t bring it up and not say what was said.

PJ said coaches get criticized for not doing enough for player health and TJ was laying on the ground un-responsive so he ran out there.

If you push the fact he was "unresponsive" however, how did you let him go back out there for the rest of the game (which I think TJ was).
I don't have all the info on it though so I can't really criticize fairly on this one.

It would be like if PJ criticized what I do for a living without understanding all of the details of my work.

(Not saying everyone else can't let their opinions be known on a sports message board however).

Last edited:

per ESPN's Adam Rittenberg
Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck said officials told him he ran onto the field "too fast" after Tyler Johnson's fourth-down drop, which resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Fleck said Johnson wasn't moving and he wanted to be the first person to check on his player. Johnson said, "Coach Fleck was being a great coach right there." Fleck brought up being on the Rutgers staff when Eric LeGrand suffered a spinal cord injury.

PJ has run onto the field on injuries all year. TJ just got totally laid out after the whistle and looked like he might be hurt - thus PJ running onto the field. The penalty surprised me more than PJs actions.

agreed. Still not sure why the flag was thrown; play was dead, game was in-between possessions, and one of his players was lying on the ground injured after a late hit; meanwhile, PJ touched no one in an aggressive manner. Perhaps he had some foul language directed at certain person(s)? If not, I cannot find a decent reason for that penalty. Should have been Iowa ball, first down at the 7.

Last edited:

After hearing everything, I got to give Fleck the benefit of the doubt about running out there. When the game was going on, my thoughts were much, much different.

You can’t just make up your own rules. How do you tell players they can’t change the rules if you don’t have the self control to follow them as a coach?

He saw 12 and 0 melting and he’s using his never lie Farmers Alliance culture to explain even though TJ was immediately standing he thought he might be dead. Come on man!

agreed. Still not sure why the flag was thrown; play was dead, game was in-between possessions, and one of his players was lying on the ground injured after a late hit; meanwhile, PJ touched no one in an aggressive manner. Perhaps he had some foul language directed at certain person(s)? If not, I cannot find a decent reason for that penalty. Should have been Iowa ball, first down at the 7.

PJ was penalized because coaches can’t run to the 5 yard line in the middle of the field during the game. That isn’t the mystery here.

With targeting on a defenseless player. The unsportsmanlike call was weird.

You can’t just make up your own rules. How do you tell players they can’t change the rules if you don’t have the self control to follow them as a coach?

He saw 12 and 0 melting and he’s using his never lie Farmers Alliance culture to explain even though TJ was immediately standing he thought he might be dead. Come on man!

I agree that PJ is grasping on this one. He should just say he made a mistake - like he asks others to do.

PJ was penalized because coaches can’t run to the 5 yard line in the middle of the field during the game. That isn’t the mystery here.

Why not? Coaches are clearly allowed onto the field at certain points. At what points are they allowed on, and what points not? PJ was on the field earlier addressing a temporarily-injured TJ.

PJ screwed up running on the field. It can’t happen.

Looked like the moment got to big for him.

Not the reason they lost the game.

It wasn't targeting. It was a hit on the receiver after the play had ended.
They did miss a targeting call on a hit on Ibrahim.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I’m a Gopher homer to the max. I’m not even sure it should have been an Iowa penalty. The guy who ran into TJ was coming full speed to tackle TJ. But he dropped the ball. The Iowa was surprised and put the brakes on. He could not possibly avoid TJ. He hit him with his chest slowing down. That’s what I saw.

The entire issue that messed up everybody is TJ dropped the ball. Iowa guy had no where to go and PJ freaked.

I thought He ran on field to check on injured player TJ. Not to argue with refs. That is what I thought watching game live. That was hit on defenseless receiver.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

The referees let you know when you can come on the field for an injured player. PJ was there on the drop dang near. Way way too early to even be an argument. They threw 6 flags!

Top Bottom