So why did Fleck run on the field?

The referees let you know when you can come on the field for an injured player. PJ was there on the drop dang near. Way way too early to even be an argument. They threw 6 flags!

LOL OK, sounds correct enough. The way I see it, regardless, PJ is emotional and he cares about his players, his team, his school and his new city. I wouldn't want to see him any other way, and I'm proud that my favorite team's coach cares that much.

Why not? Coaches are clearly allowed onto the field at certain points. At what points are they allowed on, and what points not? PJ was on the field earlier addressing a temporarily-injured TJ.

In the middle of the field? On timeouts and when the refs say so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did miss a targeting call on a hit on Ibrahim.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Trust me when I say that it was a terribly officiated game that ended up quite biased in Iowa's favor. But I still don't think that was targeting against TJ in any way at all.

LOL OK, sounds correct enough. The way I see it, regardless, PJ is emotional and he cares about his players, his team, his school and his new city. I wouldn't want to see him any other way, and I'm proud that my favorite team's coach cares that much.

Valid take - but let’s not act like it wasn’t a penalty.

Valid take - but let’s not act like it wasn’t a penalty.

I already accepted 60's Guy's explanation of why it was a penalty.

I went back and watched the replay several times.

TJ drops the ball and it hits the ground. TJ takes a couple short steps and almost another long step when he is hit.
So it was definitely after the play. Iowa already was going to get the ball.

TJ falls flat on the ground, but is only down for about a second when teammates help him up.
He starts walking off the field and PJ is in the huddle.

PJ had to have rushed on the field very quickly if he thought he was unresponsive or saw something that wasn't there.
Perhaps with the Iowa fans being so close to the sideline, there was a time-warp affect taking place which made PJ feel like more time had passed before he rushed out there.

I do NOT have a problem with PJ running on the field, I want a coach to stand up for his players. End result it cost us 10 yards field position, big deal. The issue no one is talking about should be looked at by the rules committee, after the whistle on 4th down in the red zone the defender can do anything he wants and it costs them 2-3 yards? Ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

There is no defense. Coaches can't go sprinting out on the field. If Kirk Ferentz had done that, everyone here would be saying he's crazy, he's lost it, or his ego is out of control. Fleck has to have better judgement. It was not a good look.

I went back and watched the replay several times.

TJ drops the ball and it hits the ground. TJ takes a couple short steps and almost another long step when he is hit.
So it was definitely after the play. Iowa already was going to get the ball.

TJ falls flat on the ground, but is only down for about a second when teammates help him up.
He starts walking off the field and PJ is in the huddle.

PJ had to have rushed on the field very quickly if he thought he was unresponsive or saw something that wasn't there.
Perhaps with the Iowa fans being so close to the sideline, there was a time-warp affect taking place which made PJ feel like more time had passed before he rushed out there.

That's the only plausible explanation. A time warp.

Look, PJ got a little overzealous. That’s who he is. He loves these players to death. It was a mistake, I’m sure PJ will learn from it. TJ did a great job of acting on that play. He embellished it. Fleck probably didn’t see or realize that. It by no means cost them the game. They should of taken the 3 there anyway.

I do NOT have a problem with PJ running on the field, I want a coach to stand up for his players. End result it cost us 10 yards field position, big deal. The issue no one is talking about should be looked at by the rules committee, after the whistle on 4th down in the red zone the defender can do anything he wants and it costs them 2-3 yards? Ridiculous.

I have found it odd how the same penalty can have different yardages on the same play.
If the net result is penalties on both sides, why are you going "half the distance" one way?
Doesn't seem right that one team is penalized when the net result is a gain for the team deeper in their own end.

In PJs defense he did the exact same thing near the end of the Iowa game last year and I don't think he got flagged. The hit was far more vicious but he took off like a rocket to get out there.

I have found it odd how the same penalty can have different yardages on the same play.
If the net result is penalties on both sides, why are you going "half the distance" one way?
Doesn't seem right that one team is penalized when the net result is a gain for the team deeper in their own end.

NY official explained it as an order-of-events deal, where the late hit was the first event, followed in sequence by PJ's penalty, thus they were doing one before the other.

I didn't think about that. If both penalties were after the play was dead, then it should have been offsetting penalties. Odd.

NY official explained it as an order-of-events deal, where the late hit was the first event, followed in sequence by PJ's penalty, thus they were doing one before the other.

Yeh, I get the sequence, it still seems odd being no clock time clicked between the two penalties.
Not a biggie, but I saw a similar call another time and found it odd.

Fleck was out on the field like a shot when Johnson was down after he landed on his back after catching that pass in the first half, which does lend some circumstantial support to his explanation.

Iowa could have sent out a fourth string DB with a foreign object to poke TJ in the eye after the whistle on that play, the kid would have been ejected but by the rules Iowa would have been awarded the ball with a 3 yard penalty.

In PJs defense he did the exact same thing near the end of the Iowa game last year and I don't think he got flagged. The hit was far more vicious but he took off like a rocket to get out there.

He likes to run.

He always runs out when a player is injured. I'm sure he'll pause a second now before doing it.

Mis-spotted an incomplete pass?

No. The pass in the first quarter where they missed the spot by six feet.
Next we can talk about the mismanaged clock where they shaved 4 seconds off the clock at the end of the first half.
We need to have a similarly minded clock operator in MN from now on.

I agree with this.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

A couple years ago this became a point of focus...intent of the sideline rule was to keep coaches from coming out to argue calls, berate officials, etc. IIRC they specifically weren’t going to flag coaches checking on players, overexcited jumps after a big play, calling timeouts, etc.

IIRC there is also discretion to call a 5 yarder before dropping the 15 yarder but I could be wrong on that.

Face it, this crew was surly from the get go. Maybe PJF got in their faces in that play, or maybe it was payback for the abuse for the other atrocities. Seems to me like it was a ticky tack call but who knows what was said out there...

Doesn’t matter. A whole bunch of posters here will agree with him no matter what he said.

I really doubt anyone on here is going to agree with him whatever he says.

Last edited:

After watching the replay and seeing Fleck’s reaction, I totally believe his explanation that he was running out to attend to his injured player. Tyler did lay there on the ground for a bit. The call and reaction to this were BS.

I guess, but they aren't going to change the rules because he cares. You just can't do that. Not sure how you an argue that it is okay to break the rules because of your emotions. Not sure I have even heard that attempted before.

A couple years ago this became a point of focus...intent of the sideline rule was to keep coaches from coming out to argue calls, berate officials, etc. IIRC they specifically weren’t going to flag coaches checking on players, overexcited jumps after a big play, calling timeouts, etc.

IIRC there is also discretion to call a 5 yarder before dropping the 15 yarder but I could be wrong on that.

Face it, this crew was surly from the get go. Maybe PJF got in their faces in that play, or maybe it was payback for the abuse for the other atrocities. Seems to me like it was a ticky tack call but who knows what was said out there...

There is ton of truth to this.

It seems to me that at one time only medical/trainer staff could attend an injured player.

Again thank you for the rulebook link. I appreciate your assistance in me getting a better understanding of the situation.

Top Bottom